[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Discuss: Disney in the 2010's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: Tangled_poster.jpg (74 KB, 300x445) Image search: [Google]
Tangled_poster.jpg
74 KB, 300x445
The 2010's seems to be when Disney really started hitting its stride again, with the big hit that was Tangled. Why do you think Tangled made such a big splash compared to the previous year's Princess and the Frog? Was it really that much of a better movie? Also,, do you think that Tangled's success paved the way for the other movies of the 2010's, or would you qualify their successes as something separate?
>>
Hot princess = Big success
>>
>>81979202
>implying Tiana wasn't hot.
>>
I blame advertising really. PATF was advertised as a return to Renaissance, which for some reason didn't appeal to kiddos. Also the "Princess" in the title scaring off boys. Tangled seemed more gender-neutral, and the trailers made it look like a retarded Dreamworks film, which made stupid kids more likely to want to see it.
>>
Tangled had Alan Menken doing music again. That's all you really needed, really.
>>
>>81979274
CGI hotties sell more than traditional animated hotties
>>
>>81979562
This is a very sad world we live in then. CG doesn't seem nearly as cute to me.
>>
>>81979580
I prefer Traditional animation when it comes to character design as well man. But that's how things are now
>>
stream on as part of a M-W-F Disney/Pixar marathon that's nearing its end. Tonight is Tangled, Toy Story 3, and Winnie the Pooh 2011.

live stream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
>>81979728
How can we ever make 2D Great Again?
>>
>>81979864
Tangled now starting.
>>
>>81979951
Pixar killed the 2D movies for good (even tho i love
their movies). Maybe one day we'll get our next "Lion King" and 2D movies will return to their glory. But not today anon, not today
>>
File: 1457456381150.jpg (45 KB, 620x423) Image search: [Google]
1457456381150.jpg
45 KB, 620x423
>>81979137
>>
>>81979137
I don't know how common this opinion is, but Princess and the Frog felt much more heavy-handed and one-dimensional than Tangled. Tiana was the girl who Works Hard and pursues her goals, the price was a Douchebag Who Needs To Learn To Be Nice, the villain was a Greedy Dick Who Wanted Money, etc. Everything was black and white, you knew exactly where every character was going to end up from the start, and ultimately you were just watching it to support 2D animation because you hope Disney will make another Lion King.
>>
>>81979274
It would have helped if she wasn't a frog most of the movie.
>>
>>81980853
Implying frogs are not sexy
>>
>>81980923
forgot the >
>>
Tarzan's older sister is pretty cool.
>>
>>81980853
Well yeah.
They really needed to make the voodoo guy more of a presence in the movie and have tiana be more important then just girl that works hard.

She's related to someone who had magic powers and locked away the friends on the other side and facillier is over a hundred years old and is still salty about it.
Uses her voodoo magic occasionally to help people.

Prince is some guy in town to marry the wealthy hilarious blanche devero southern belle girl
>>
File: 55528354.jpg (108 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
55528354.jpg
108 KB, 640x640
>>81980923
>>
>>81979864
Tangled's now on credits. Toy Story 3 starting in a few minutes.
>>
File: 1398088882629.jpg (265 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
1398088882629.jpg
265 KB, 500x288
>>
>>81979405
I remember the trailer having extra comedic scenes that weren't actually in the film. Selling the film as a comedy romp rather than a princess film helped a lot.
>>
>>81979137
>tangled
>good

uh
>>
>>81979864
Winnie the Pooh 2011 coming up.
>>
>>81979137
>Why do you think Tangled made such a big splash compared to the previous year's Princess and the Frog
You should probably compare skin colors of the two princesses. Also, CGI is all the rage nowadays. 2D is not as popular among normies
>>
File: 1376819259734.jpg (807 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1376819259734.jpg
807 KB, 2560x1440
Tangled thread?
>>
>>81979864
I don't know what you're talking about
But I'd like to watch a stream going through disney's history and showing tons of shit like that Walt Disney hour or Peter the dragon and maybe some talespin and even Stevens

Maybe not everything because that's insane, but a good like 50 to 60 hours of both tv and movies with the host talking about history along the way
>>
>Was it really that much of a better movie?
No, because it wasn't a better movie. I love both, and think both are better than most other Disney movies, but I like PATF more.

Tangled had better marketing. PATF tried marketing to people who were nostalgic about Disney movies before it was cool to be nostalgic about Disney movies, because it was still the public perception that (modern) Disney movies sucked. Tangled made a deliberate attempt to distance itself from everything else.

Also, probably something-something-racism, something-something-CGI.
>>
>>81979137
>Why do you think Tangled made such a big splash

because it wasn't a 2010 movie. it was a 2003-ish movie that was just released really late
>>
>>81979202
But Elsa had cold powers and was the biggest success yet.
>>
>>81979137
Was PatF even based on a fairy tale? It seemed like it was lacking the authenticness of being adapted from an old story.
>>
>>81979137
>Siphon talent from Pixar
>Success
They had to throw another company underwater to swim.
>>
>>81979137
PatF just wasn't as good of a movie. Tangled had the heart and soul of Glen Keane in it. Also, Byron Howard co-directed, and considering how good Zootopia was, that also might have something to do with it.
>>
>>81979405
My theory is that Disney's 2D movies stopped appealing to people because 3D animated movies exposed their limitations.
>>
>>81992695
>rimshot.ogg

>>81994854
Which Animators/Writers/Directors did they steal from Pixar?
>>
>>81979405
The "frog" part was more of a problem than the "princess" part. They tried to make an atypical princess movie (more of a talking animal movie masquerading as a princess one) at a time audiences wanted an unironic return to the classic formula, which Tangled was. Also PatF was not very good.
I wonder how things would've turned out if Disney decided to play things safe with PatF and made something more like Tangled or Frozen.
Honestly I don't think they ever intended to produce more 2D films, they really half assed it.
>>
>>81996367
Tangled is a departure from the classic formula by being 3D.
>>
>>81996434
In almost all respects, Tangled was a return to the classic fairy tale movie that Disney started. They almost had the book opening too.

Tangled as a movie had more heart and soul than Anything Disney has made since except maybe Zootopia, and that's debatable. It certainly had more soul than Frozen, which was a empty husk of a movie in comparison.
>>
>>81996555
Being 3D makes a huge difference because it allows the animators to easily make dynamic, cinematic looking animation. Disney was never able to really break off from their cartoon roots with their 2D animation, and my theory is people got tired of that.
>>
>>81979951
If it happens it will likely be lead by smaller studios with medium sized budgets and exceptional vision and talent.

Maybe we'll get a 2D animated movie that pushes the boundaries of what's considered the realm of animation.
>>
>>81980817
I felt the same way. I wanted to like that movie but Tangled was better.
>>
>>81996367
PatF felt like one of Disney's safest films with the exception of the death of the Firefly. Everything in that film felt sterile and by the book, like it was trying to capture the relationship in Beauty and the Beast with classic Disney gags from Snow White or Little Mermaid and it just didn't stick out. But Tangled felt like "Glen Keane's" work and you can feel that passion. Rapunzel and Eugene's relationship and their dialogue together feel uniquely them, I never got a "unique" feeling from Frog's script.
>>
>>81998172
It seems like PatF being their return to 2D and their first black princess made them extra cautious and it ultimately held the film back.
>>
Several kids I knew just straight-up didn't want to see a black princess...
>>
>>81998489
Why? Is it the hair?
>>
>>81998128
What could they do with 2D that would push the boundaries of 2D animation?
>>
>>81999585
Not necessarily in terms of animation but more so in terms of story and tone.
>>
>>81999607
Well I doubt they would able or willing to do anything that anime hasn't already done, and anime has done nearly everything.
>>
>>81999749
>Well I doubt they would able or willing to do anything that anime hasn't already done, and anime has done nearly everything.
I was talking about animation in a Western context, specifically animated movies that get a wide release, but I guess that wasn't clear.
>>
>>81999822
I doubt there will ever be something like that. There's no precedent or demand for it and nobody has experience doing it.
>>
>>81992844
>Was PatF even based on a fairy tale?
Yes it was, I even remember it from my childhood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frog_Prince
>>
File: 22422.png (218 KB, 680x575) Image search: [Google]
22422.png
218 KB, 680x575
>murifats pronouncing rapunzel
>>
>>82000096
Which is why I said if 2D returns it would be under such circumstances.

There's no guarantee such a thing would happen.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.