[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Maaan, even in the comic books world he's a joke. How do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
Maaan, even in the comic books world he's a joke.

How do we fix Aqua"""""man"""""?
>>
>>81956140
Throne of Atlantis already did
>>
>>81956159
I have to imagine a writing change hut him though
>>
>>81956140
If you take out the quotation marks it will be correct. Aquaman vs Aqua"""man"""
>>
Turn him into a heroin addicted jazz critic that doesn't have any aquatic powers.
>>
File: 1444328664464.jpg (60 KB, 217x409) Image search: [Google]
1444328664464.jpg
60 KB, 217x409
>>81956140
instead of all the water shit turn him into aquaman..... his parents were killed by a rogue wave and now he will become an aqua...

he'll be a lot darker and more ripped and he'll splash batarangs at guys it will be great
>>
at least he has mera
>>
>>81956140
It's part of a ritual. Add hot water in your bathtub. Take 2 asprins. Jump ino the hot water and sit silently there for 5 minutes. Keep sitting there, next part is tricky. Slit both your wrists. Don't move. Let your miserable life wither away in aqua.

You should go do it right away.
>>
>>81956402
Suicide isn't funny Kurt Cobain almost died that way.
>>
>the worst /sp/ meme showing up on /co/

God damn, this board truly is dead.
>>
Even hi wife is cooler. Sh's a damn aquamancer.
>>
>>81956429
You can make it funny by adding a suicide note that says I did it as part of a ritual that'll make Aquaman cool. Then Peter David, Geoff Johns and the rest of us can laugh about it.
>>
>>81956504
Why is everyone around Aquaman a fucking waterbender but not him?
>>
>>81956140
He's only a joke to the press and the general public
And that's mostly because they consider Atlantis a joke
>>
>>81956140
is he trying not to cry in the bottom panel?
>>
I see this board is /tv/ lite
Where do people actually talk about comic books nowadays?
>>
>>81960040
Nowhere. Comic books are dead, buried.
>>
>>81956430
/nrl/ literally runs /co/
>>
File: Aquaman #1 - Page 8.jpg (506 KB, 1042x1600) Image search: [Google]
Aquaman #1 - Page 8.jpg
506 KB, 1042x1600
>>81956140
He just needs a name that frames who he is better.

So call him King Orin instead of Aquaman. Let him display his kingdom to the rest of the world more. Maybe drag some retainers around now and then.

"Orin, King of Atlantis" is a name that implies that he is leader of a people, and deserving of respect. The name Aquaman isn't an inherently respectful title.
>>
>>81956140
>even in the comic books world he's a joke

You can thank Johns for that. Wasn't like this in the past.
>>
>>81960040
/diy/
>>
File: 1431961503457.png (189 KB, 430x478) Image search: [Google]
1431961503457.png
189 KB, 430x478
>>81960144
>rugby
>>
>>81960009
>under water nobody can see your tears...
>>
>>81956140
The problem is that aquatic based superheroes don't really work in eras when the nation isn't living in fear of kraut U-boats. Who cares about the sea? Fucking no one, that's who.

They should just embrace the fact that people think he's kind of a joke and take advantage of the one thing they can actually count on people remembering about him instead of fighting it. It would probably make him more endearing
>>
>>81956140
Focus more on the fact he's the ruler of an entire kingdom instead of just some superhero running around in tights?

If anything he shouldn't be a costumed hero at all, just a guy with superhuman powers that associates with the Justice League.

Hell you could do without even calling him Aquaman.
>>
>>81956283
Don't you mean aquarangs? As he terrorizes the criminal element along the waterfront dressed as a giant aqua?
>>
>>81959037
Most writers are hacks, they can't see the potential the concept of an undersea non-mundane nation gives them, this goes double in a superhero universe.
>>
>>81961332
My. Fucking. Sides.
>>
>>81960596
this
>Let him display his kingdom to the rest of the world more
show the migth of atlantis. Show them how much more they know about the world/what advanced technology they have in comparison to the rest of the world. Show how each atlantean is just better than any normal human. Show them the magic, show them the beast, show them the SIZE of that motherfucking kingdom that reaches all the seven seas; 2/3 of the whole fucking world
Then show them that Aquaman aka King Arthur/Orin of atlantis rules over everything of that.
I don't want to see aquaman as a normal fighter/soldier with the other members of the justice league. That's really fucking boring. I want to see him as king/ruler who drags the combined might of atlantis with him.
Something like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XkK1pjVd3Y
>>
Haven't they made his wife dress up in his costume and start calling herself 'Aquawoman'? Thats the opposite of what they should be doing with them.
These people are undersea royalty who have absolutely no need for secret identities, let them march forth against evil and threats to the world under their own names and titles of royalty. Also give Arthur a kingly beard once again, compared to all these freshly-shaven supers.
>>
>>81961874
Problem is aquaman also needs a chiseled jawline you can't have both.
>>
he got the same problem with green lantern and batman: the supporting cast and the villains are more interesting than the main character.
>>
>>81961874
>These people are undersea royalty who have absolutely no need for secret identities

She did as a means of extending an olive branch to the surface world.
>>
Something I've wondered about Atlantis in DC.

Why is with Aquaman and his main supporting characters all look like normal humans while all his generic subjects look obviously nonhuman?
Like I know Aquaman's halfbreed backstory, but what about his supporting cast.
>>
>>81961911
Why does he need a chiseled jawline? Thats common as hell for DC heroes.
>>
>>81961601

This, basically. It's how I see him, and look at him, and it works. He is basically a cross between Thor and Black Panther as far as being the royal of an almost alien realm that also gives him abilities we would consider super.

>>81960596

That's kind of cool. It's good to see a 'tough' superhero actually bleed, and not be too happy about it.
>>
>>81961798
Yes, and for the love of Poseidon, at long last make him hydrokinetic. I want to see this in a film.

>tides going way out
>giant ocean "elemental" on the horizon
>>
>>81961509
Nah you're talkin nonsense, they problem is shitty writers going for cheap "hurr aquaman so lame" jokes via in-universe characters that have no plausible reason to act that way or regard him like real-life casuals that only know him from hearing about the SuperFriends cartoon. The only thing they know about him is he's a guy with a massive trident that can suplex armored trucks.
>>
>>81962059
Wasn't he hydro kinetic when he had the magical water hand instead of the prosthetic hook hand? Its a little much that pretty much every named character from Atlantis can manipulate water.
>>
>>81962086
As far as I'm concerned, being the acknowledged rightful wielder of that trident is all the justification I need for him being hydrokinetic. He's King of Atlantis by blood. He's king of the sea itself by divine decree.
>>
Are there mermaids in the DC universe? And do they have vaginas like dolphins?
>>
File: Lori Lemaris.jpg (72 KB, 237x333) Image search: [Google]
Lori Lemaris.jpg
72 KB, 237x333
>>81962141
There used to be. Superman used to date one.
>>
File: 1377544347400.jpg (108 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1377544347400.jpg
108 KB, 1920x1200
>>81962086
Yes! They should really just focus on asociating AQUAman properly with water and the ocean. The ocean is deep and cold and terrifying. Aquaman should be asociated with that.
>Drags people under water. Deep under water. The light fades. Their eardrums breaks. The air escapes their lungs. You see shadows of unimaginable size all around
>Drowns people on land just by forming a ball of water around their head which they can't get rid off
>maybe some kind of puppetiering like blood bending in avatar?

>>81962086
I think so, but not on par with his wife which is sad. As long as he doesn't have a pirate hook hand again I'm happy
>>
>>81961305
>League
>Rugby

fuck off
>>
>>81956140
good thing you post a page from the near beginning of New 52
>>
>>81962185
That seems a little needlessly brutal unless he's fighting high-tier superhuman foes.
>>
>>81962213
sure, i don't want him to be the bad guy. Except in alternative universe stories, but as a final fight with some superhuman foe after we see a story that justifies such a treatment, why not?
I'm just saying, that people should be made more aware of how fucking scary the ocean is, that aquaman rules said ocean and aquaman himself can be fucking scary
>>
>>81962185
They could also focus on the telepath angle, and easily explain away why he prefers to use non-sentients.

>Random: So you can control fish?
>Aquaman: I command fish.
>Aquaman: I communicate with whales, dolphins, and some more intelligent cephalopods. I don't command them and they aid me through mutual respect.
>Aquaman: But I can command any mind with some effort, depending on the strength of that mind, but it is a violation, and you cannot enter and command another's mind without experiencing that same violation yourself.
>>
>>81956843
Something to do with the Mages fo the time of Arion and how they spread the Homo Magi gene to their children, but Arthur doesn't have it since his dad is human.
>>
Time Warner funnels billions into Oceanograpy.

You're not going to get people to appreciate Aquaman until they appreciate the ocean.
>>
>>81962509
I wonder just how much our knowledge of the ocean was improved during the search for that missing plane
>>
>>81956140

Honestly I don't give a fuck about whether casuals like him or not.

Just have him stab Darkseid in the eyes once every five or ten years.

He's done it before; he can do it again.

Also, I agree with everyone's comments about him being a King and that should be stressed.
>>
File: 1379779979586.gif (941 KB, 210x203) Image search: [Google]
1379779979586.gif
941 KB, 210x203
>>81962509
>New aquaman movie starts with a 3/4 hour ocean documentary
I'd watch it
>>
>>81962185
Mera can bloodbend
>>
>>81962061
>Nah you're talkin nonsense
Pretty much, I don't really care about "saving" the character, I'm not a fan and normies aren't ever going to care about Aquaman unless he gets a good movie or something and that's probably never going to happen. Obviously there are some people out there who are fans of the character and I'd rather they enjoy the comics he appears in all things considered. I wasn't really suggesting that DC should just turn him into a source of cheap jokes, just that a lighter toned comic run that has fun with the fact he doesn't get any respect might be a funner way to deal with his image problems than trying to make him a badass but I doubt that's what his fans really want so whatever. I don't work at DC
>>
File: 41uve4hAM0L.jpg (27 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
41uve4hAM0L.jpg
27 KB, 330x330
Aquaman isn't taken seriously, so take it to the logical extreme. Everyone spends so much time trying to not make him a joke, they should just embrace it and make him comedic.
>>
File: CHIEF.jpg (11 KB, 302x227) Image search: [Google]
CHIEF.jpg
11 KB, 302x227
>>81962753
Here's the light-hearted movie I want to happen. Pic related.

Make him extremely self-aware and irreverent. Make him ageless like Wonder Woman. And make his patron the trickster god Raven, We could have a movie with a scene like this:

>WWII - Pacific Theater, Manitou Raven serves as a code-talker. Shit hits the fan and he calls on his magic to save his platoon, then comes stomping out to the beach, full-on giant.

>G.I, 1: Holy shit! That's one heap biggum injun!
>G.I. 2: Shut up, dumbass! He's standing right there. You know he hates that "injun" talk.
>G.I. Egghead: It's doubtful he can even hear us. The thickness and tensile strength of the tympanic membranes in a human that size couldn't possibly pick up conversation at the decibels we -
>Chief: I can hear you.
>Egghead: What!? But how is that even possible?
>Chief: It's magic, asshole. I ain't explaining shit.
>>
>>81962591
Now imagine the first half of hour of the movie as Das Boot, with submarine lying on the ground hiding from destroyers. And then really pissed off Aquaman arrives and fucks them up because that the dolphin family was scared by dive bombs and their little dolphine is now crying.
>>
>>81960596
This is fucking retarded, letting the guy shoot at you. Yeah it's just a minor scratch for him but what if a fluke bullet got him in the eye? Eyes are mainly water and that shit aint gonna heal.
>>
>>81962910
I'm actually hoping that the DCEU doesn;t shy away from magic, because they've got a very rich and interesting "secret history" of Earth angle they can play, sort of like LotR with capes.

Well, *more* capes.
>>
>>81962910
Dolphins are horrifying gangrapists.

Being cute is a calculated maneuver to cause humanity to let down their guard, then its RIGHT INTO THE UNDERWATER RAPE CAVES!
>>
>>81962916
His eyeballs withstand pressures equal to being shot. It would cause a little damage, make his eye water, and give him a black eye maybe, but that's probably about it.
>>
>>81962964
Aquaman has no problem with that and doesnt care about filthy surface dwellers medieval opinions about the progress that doplphin culture has made in the thousands of years of coexisting with athlanteans.
>>
Aquamarine a shit.

And yes, I allow my phone to auto-correct Aquaman into aquamarine. Be cause he doesn't deserve more.

Aquamarine can be given even more powers, made even more surly, given all sorts of shiny, crustacean, gold, royal armor, it's not going to help his image.

One thing that doesn't help is the few fans. I mean, yes, it's nice when he gets a good story, but they act like the story should be the new Bible and it erases everything else.

If someone ever writes him embracing his own campiness, like how it works with LOSH, but he is written in the same cycles of personal and political drama too. Let's just hope he doesn't lose his memory again.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.