[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a hypercrisis recommended reading list or image folder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 1459720086590.png (516 KB, 720x800) Image search: [Google]
1459720086590.png
516 KB, 720x800
Is there a hypercrisis recommended reading list or image folder somewhere?
>>
First of all, you're gonna need 5d vision
>>
If you can tell me a quick to sign up filehost, I can give you the 224 page Wikiguide to Hypercrisis.
>>
>>81874028
Marveldrone here, was 52 a thing before the 52 comic series?
>>
>>81874360
Just barely, when they were building it up.
Morrison or someone in charge of the worldbuilding just told all the writers to work the number 52 into their comic somewhere.
>>
>>81874303
224?
>>
>>81874586
Not every number can have deeper meaning.
>>
>>81874028

Everything.

Really, the more you read from damn everything you can get your hands on, the more you'll start to look for connections between everything.

Aside from that, the absolute essentials would be

>Flash of Two Worlds
>Crisis on Infinite Earths
>Animal Man
>JLA
>52 (throw in Johns' Booster Gold solo in there too if you want)
>Seven Soldiers
>Morrison's Bat Epic
>Final Crisis
>Multiversity

I'd also recommend checking out Soule's New 52 Swamp Thing, Dial H and the Infinite Crisis tie-in digital series for alternate takes on the interconnectedness of the Multiverse and the nature of stories without Morrison's influence.
>>
>>81874763
>Not every number can have a deeper meaning

Huh, that reminds me, the last gospel reading for this liturgical period was a part of John that mentioned the number 153. I looked every damn place trying to find an explanation for what it represented, and all the sources I can find just say "well it has to mean SOMETHING but we don't really know what".

It's funny how much theology studies crossover into Hypercrisis shit. The methodology for interpreting scripture crosses over into literary criticism a lot in the same way.
>>
File: ILTE1IQ.gif (498 KB, 1008x1836) Image search: [Google]
ILTE1IQ.gif
498 KB, 1008x1836
The closest I have is this, which I think is the same thing anyway.

Altho like >>81874794 says, for full completionist mode you'd have to add Flash of two Worlds and Crisis on Infinite Earths, and possibly others.
>>
>>81874900
>The methodology for interpreting scripture crosses over into literary criticism a lot in the same way.
It's almost like they ARE scripture, with their own gods and canon.
It's almost like the Hypercrisis is REAL!
>>
>>81874028
I hate to break it to you, but there is no hypercrisis. It's the logical result of a shared universe with elements of it having a history spanning close to a century being written by authors who are aware of its history, frequently collaborate and discuss their plots with each other, and like to reference other stories. 52 was an attempt by DC editorial to manufacture a cohesive status quo post-Infinite Crisis rather than having the individual writers develop histories themselves, as was the case post-CoIE and Nu52. The Hypercrisis is just an Easter Egg hunt that mythologizes the status quo and gives the impression that a single story is worth the part it plays in a non-defined whole.

Grant Morrison is the Empty Hand and Hypercrisis is his Oblivion Machine, a self-sustaining advertisement for Grant Morrison.
>>
>>81876259
You should mail that to him.
>>
>>81877312
It's not that hard to read a very cynical and negative interpretation into Grant's work, especially his newer stuff.
>>
REQUIRED READING:

- Homer's Iliad and Odyssey
- every Batman comic written between 1930 and 1987
- Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's Tales of Asgard
- Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus! Trilogy
- general knowledge of western philosophy, from Plato to Heidegger
- a master's degree in quantum mechanics

that should get you ready for Animal Man #1, just barely
>>
>>81874586
>>81874763
>Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 317x313) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 317x313
>>81877614
Kek
>>
>>81877614
Can we make a serious version of this list? Non-Hypercrisis Reading to Fully Understand the Hypercrisis?

I nominate Cerebus the Aardvark #001-300 by Dave Sim. Just like Animal Man, it features the protagonist learning to understand the nature of their own existence through extensive conversations with their author. I honestly don't believe that anyone who hasn't read Cerebus fully grasps what it means for a comic to be an "epic" or what it means for a fictional character to know that they are fictional.
>>
>>81875070

Nah I think that people just took methodologies that they learned from other sources and applied them to different textual material.

>>81876259

Oh of course we know that, but it's fun to pretend that there really is some grand supernatural conspiracy bleeding over into our world.

>a master's degree in quantum mechanics

I was a freshman in a Biology program when I first read Animal Man and got it just fine.

Granted it helped out a LOT when I went back and actually read COIE to accompany it, but otherwise you don't need to be that sophisticated or classically educated.
>>
>>81877836

I'd recommend Gaiman's Sandman. It obtusely connects to the DCU, but it's more prominent as a meditation on the nature of stories and why they're important to human culture and humanity in general.
>>
>>81877872
Consider the following: Dave Sim recommends that everybody should read Sandman, and Neil Gaiman recommends that everybody should read Cerebus.

Hyper Reading List
>>
>>81877919

Up here >>81874794 I also recommended a few things that Morrison had no hand in but still provide alternate looks at either the DCU Multiverse or narratives/hero archetypes in general.
>>
>>81877964
>still provide alternate looks at either the DCU Multiverse
This is what I don't want.
>or narratives/hero archetypes in general.
This is what I do want.

Hypercrisis threads are pretty much always non-stop DC DC DC DC DC (and a little bit of Marvel) and those comics are DC staples.

I want a reading list of comics that NEVER show up in Hypercrisis threads even though they cover the same concepts, same ideas and same themes.

Could we do something like that?
>>
>>81877844
I'm always surprised when people talk about how complex Morrison's works are. Sure, he packs them full of references and allusions, but the actual stories themselves aren't particularly difficult. If anything he has a real bad habit of thematic repetition.
>>
>>81878177
Not comics, but I'd suggest reading The Hero with a Thousand Faces.
>>
>>81874028
>hypercrisis recommended reading
dude
>>
Bumping in hopes an actual reading list shows up
>>
>>81877836
>>81877872
>>81877919
>>81877964
>>81878177
>>81878445
lol

A non-Big Two reading list is never going to happen because most Morrison fanboys have zero interest in 99% of non-Big Two comics.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.