[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did people react when this came out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
>>
>>81871477
Badly. It created the first comic book-based terrorist cell in the history of the US.
>>
Can you imagine how buttmad Johns was?

do you think he was part of that psycho group of Hal fans? i cant remember what they were called.
>>
Ron Marz supposedly received death threats.
>>
>>81871516
HEAT, Hal's Emerald Attack/Advancement Team
>>
>what did people think of this half-assed sales grab character assassination

people were somewhat upset
>>
http://glheat.tripod.com/
>>
>>81871502
Ha ha funny joke. HEAT was never anything more than early-internet whiners who incessantly bitched and moaned, and even took out an ad in Wizard magazine. Some of the autists may in fact have called in a bomb threat to the DC offices but that's the extent of their "terrorist" actions. Now, they're basically a joke. A punchline that represents nerd bitching to the extreme. Their website is still up, by the way.

Yes it pissed off a ton of Halfags, yes it was rushed, yes it was editorial mandated

Some people like the depth it gave Hal. Some people actually like the space bug retcon.
>>
>>81871516
he was later on for sure. can't say for sure in the beginning. he sounded mad though. still don't know where he threw his retainer
>>
>>81871516
He was part of Heat

>>81871477
A lot of people was hyped, tons were mad, most people just thought it was a rushed mess that needed more issues.

Is still pretty liked by some people but it's just not that of a good book.
>>
How much of the Kyle era is worth reading?
>>
>>81871477
They were fucking furious on a level we don't even see anymore.

I'm talking fan clubs and letter writing campaigns.
>>
>"All it takes is a couple of years - a change in an editor here, and a change in a publisher there - and the next thing you know, it's 'We want Hal Jordan back as GL. He's the icon, he's the guy that we need.' " -- J. M. DeMatteis.

>"Small sales didn't kill Hal Jordan, Small Minds did." -- John Byrne.

>"Green Lantern is my favorite DC character. But I've rarely seen Hal really explored. I mean, he's a test pilot. He's a guy who gets into a machine thatmay not work and launches himself into the air, trusting himself that if something goes wrong he'll figure out a solution on the fly. That's not Batman--he always has a plan. That's not Superman--Superman is rarely in danger. Hal's the kind of guy who will jump off a cliff because he'll figure out something to do on the way down. That's a great character." -- Kurt Busiek

>"Hal Jordan IS Green Lantern." -- Neal Adams.
>>
>>81871477
Why did they try to get rid of Hal?
>>
>>81871622
As a Hal fan, I actually thought it was pretty neat and the stuff they did with the Spectre afterwards was also pretty cool.

Still, I'm glad to have him back. Kyle got boring after a little bit, and I missed Guy's jacket.
>>
File: editorialtrolling.jpg (116 KB, 400x618) Image search: [Google]
editorialtrolling.jpg
116 KB, 400x618
>>81871661
Most of it, Marz's GL run is criminally underrated. Didn't deserve the hate from HEAT it got at the time. I have a huge soft spot for that era of DC comics so maybe I'm biased
>>
What was the reaction to Barry's death?

also a lot of the shock is kind of undersold when you remember hal came back as spectre a while later
>>
>>81871713
Wow that's actually awesome to hear.
>"Hal Jordan IS Green Lantern. - Neal Adams
Of course Adams would say that, Hal book did make him a Star after all.
>>
>>81871715
The editorial mandate at the time was that every one of the main heroes needed to have something tragic happen to them and then become kind of edgy afterwards. Superman got killed and replaced by four new younger analogs, Batman got his ass kicked and got replaced by Azrael, and Hal was next on the chopping block.
>>
File: 1105567.jpg (21 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1105567.jpg
21 KB, 360x360
>>81871715
They didn't like sluts back then.
>>
>>81871848
People were shocked at the time, but felt comfortable with the idea of Wally taking over. Certainly more than Kyle.
>>
>>81871848
Barry was considered one of the untouchables (along with Jason Todd, Gwen Stacy and Bucky, oh how times have changed) when it came to superhero related resurrections.
>>
>>81871848
Emerald Twilight (1994) didn't kill off Hal, it just made him Parallax which led into Zero Hour

He didn't die until Final Night (1996), and wasn't made Spectre until Day of Judgement (1999)

get yo facts straight son
>>
>>81871713

Busiek thinks the Silver Age X-Men are the best, all his opinions are questionable.
>>
>>81871913
To be fair, it's not like there was any precedent or real reason for fans to be excited over Kyle at first. He was literally just a random guy on the street (or alley) when he was given his ring.
>>
>>81871715
editors thought he was boring and too old so they wanted to piggyback on DAROS and Knightfall, do something shitty to Hal, and replace him with young fresh blood
>>
>>81872008
this, also Barry went out like a champ and Hal went out as a crazy, whiny villain

Wally'd been Barry's sidekick for ages so people were excited to see him take on the Flash mantle, Kyle was just some random nobody Ganthet pulled off the street
>>
>>81871477
We knew it was coming. Mostly because of the ads and all the buildup. Also, this was the age of the Justice League curse. Death of Superman. Breaking of Batman's back. Hal Jordan replaced. Oliver Queen eventually replaced. Wonder Woman replaced by Artemis. The Hawks completely messed with. Etc.

I didn't mind it. Kyle was definitely out of nowhere. And Parallax had more in common with Magneto in those days than what he eventually became. He was still Hal on some level.
>>
>>81872004
>Busiek thinks the Silver Age X-Men are the best, all his opinions are questionable.

X-Men have been shit since the 80s so he's only a couple decades off
>>
File: letter2.jpg (80 KB, 509x483) Image search: [Google]
letter2.jpg
80 KB, 509x483
>>81872227
Busiek wrote angry fan letters while he was in college because he thought Claremont was ruining the X-Men.
>>
>>81872366
That's absolutely hilarious. Imagine being a loyal reader since the Stan&Jack cookie cutter silver age days, and watching Claremont&Byrne slowly add more and more "complex/adult" themes into the comics, and ultimately their fetishes
>>
>>81871770
The 90's in general were pretty great for DC.
>>
>>81872441
Not just that but the entire team (besides Cyke, Professor X and, for a while, Jean) was replaced.
>>
>>81872366
But that was decades ago when he was a stupid college kid.
Surely he no longer feels that way.

R-right?
>>
>>81872444
It's their best era right? The magnitude of great stories is hard to beat.
>>
>>81872594
I'd say Post-Crisis to early 90's is the peak of DC
>>
>>81871477
The writer got death treats over it.
So I would say pretty badly.
>>
>>81872609
Really? Mid-to-late is still pretty unbelievable quality in my opinion.
>>
>>81872649
Didn't the writer have barley anything to do with it? I thought this was a case of a committee of editors coming up with the idea and handing it to someone
>>
>>81872594
PAD Supergirl, early/proto-Vertigo, JLA, Starman, Legion, L.E.G.I.O.N., etc.

Great stuff
>>
>>81872785
Hitman
Shade
>>
>>81872649
Didn't Brandon Routh get death threats when Ray and Felicity started dating?

I don't know if a lack of death threats is the best indicator of quality
>>
>>81872776
yeah basically

Gerard Jones quit/got fired because he was sick of dealing with his editors, the editors (Dooley and somebody you all may have heard of, one Eddie Berganza) brought Marz on last minute to shit out ET
>>
>>81872817
Resurrection Man
The Demon
>>
>>81872649
Are those like snack cakes shaped in the face of the Endless?
>>
>>81872910
What's that?
>>
>>81872988
He said Death TREATS
>>
>>81872910
kek

>>81872988
death "treats" instead of threats. like candy or cookies. I'm not going to explain who/what the Endless is, get off /co/ and read some good comics. Google is your friend.
>>
>>81872366
did he like the Roy Thomas issues? those were great!
>>
>>81872008
You're right. I bet people wouldn't have been (quite) as pissed if John Stewart had inherited the mantle of the main GL.
>>
>>81871661
Most of it. I'd skip Raab's stuff but otherwise it's solid.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.