[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Spiderman the greatest superhero of all times? Superman doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 15
File: spidey.jpg (20 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
spidey.jpg
20 KB, 318x159
Is Spiderman the greatest superhero of all times?
Superman doesn't even come close, don't give me that shit
>>
>>81755055
okay but plastic man tho
>>
File: Spider-Shiro.png (709 KB, 394x922) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Shiro.png
709 KB, 394x922
>>
>>81755055
yes
>/thread
>>
>>81755055
He stopped having good stories during the early 90's, and went to shit forever in 2007, so no.
>>
>>81755055
Greatest twink of all time.
>>
Overall, and just his "heroic career/legend", yes, he is.

Current stories in the past few years have been shit though.
>>
>>81755161
Why do you mark 07 as such an specific downfall?
>>
>>81755329
One More Day
>>
>>81755329
You really had to ask that?
>>
>>81755368
>>81755400
It was just some stupid bullshit retcon. It happens every now and then with every single comic book character. At least he didn't die and was reborn a month after
>>
>>81755138
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1bvWj9d71uL
>>
Posting the goat
>>
>>81755055
Superman. Spiderman is a marvel meme
>>
>>81755055
Superman is everything a hero should be. Spiderman is just a kid trying to make up for getting his uncle killed.
>>
>>81756743
Spiderman is everything a hero should be. Superman is just a baby trying to make up for getting his planet killed.
>>
>>81756643
Spider-Man. Superman is a DC meme.
>>
>>81755620
Wasn't he killed in the other storyline?
>>
>>81756802
Shit comparison. Superman isn't making up for anything since he had no responsability in it. Spiderman literally is defined by his sense of responsability over what happened to his uncle.
>>
>spider-man sold his marriage to bring his aunt, an elderly woman who lived a full life, back to life
Yeah I don't think so.
>>
>>81756903
Nah, he gave birth to himself.
>>
>>81756643
>>81756743
Anybody could do what Superman does with his power. Aint nothing brave or heroic about him.
Spiderman is a kid trying to do the right thing and sacrificing everything for others well being. And yes he made a mistake and made up for it. Heroes make mistakes and lose. Something Superman knows nothing about
>>
>>81755055
a big YES
>>
File: avatar_1459807487460.jpg (376 KB, 1185x1767) Image search: [Google]
376 KB, 1185x1767
No
>>
maybe
i prefer venom though
>>
>>81756960
>>81757012
Superman does good because he is good, because he was raised that way. Peter wanted to use his powers to make money, Clark wanted to use his powers to help people, not for personal gain. If I had his powers, I can't say I would do the same.

Superman can do anything, but all he wants to do is help people. He can't save everyone, and each person he fails to save hurts him. He sets an impossible standard for himself and kicks himself for not being able to help more people. He can push a planet, but he can't stop a heart attack. If you think that there are no stakes in it for Superman, then you don't know anything about the character and shouldn't be in this thread. Just because bullets can't hurt him doesn't mean that he doesn't know the value of life. In his universe, there are entities that could harm him. That doesn't mean he would ever stop fighting.
>>
>>81757513
>the backstory and motivations of superman were poorly written and lacked humanity or development for the sake of some rural goodly ideal
>>
>>81755055
It's literally still Superman. Even the people that hated Snyder's films will be talking about them long after the Spider-Man films.
>>
>>81757513
>He can't save everyone, and each person he fails to save hurts him. He sets an impossible standard for himself and kicks himself for not being able to help more people
The same can be said for Spider-Man
>>
>>81757513
Peter is a human that made mistakes and learned from them.
Superman was told by his alien parents that he had to help people so he dedicates himself to help people because he doesn't know anything else. He never CHOSE to help people to begin with it was just like some instict telling him that it was the right thing and that he had to do it.
Spiderman saw the other option, he saw the outcome of his choices. He chose to do the right thing, he chose to dedicate his life to helping others.
Also, Spidey was always an underdog. Real heroes have most odds against them and are usually afraid at some level. Superman is rarely scared of anything, he may be worried but he usually isn't afraid. Spidey is almost shitting his pants everytime he fights any of his foes, he could literally die any minute and yet he keeps going.
That's true fucking heroism
>>
>>81757907
AND he even lost to some of them when he started out
>>
>>81757907

Good Argument, the problem is that you are making a case for another DC character. A guy from Gotham
>>
>>81758076
Neither my depictment of Superman or Spiderman go with Batman, so I don't understand what you mean. Care to explain?
>>
>>81758076
Nice try, kiddo.
Come back with an actual rebuttal, please.
>>
>>81757012
Saying that someone needs to fuck up and lose something to be a hero is a very cynical way to look at humanity. It seems that you are unable to grasp the idea that someone can be a hero because they do their best to be a good person and help people in need.

This point is irrelevant when you consider that Superman loses all the time, he couldn't save his planet, he couldn't save his pa, he couldn't redeem Lex. He records the name of every person he failed to be there for at the end of each day, hoping that one day he won't have to archive any more names. He saves every note and letter people send him, some thanking him for saving then or a loved one, other letters ask him why he wasn't there to save a friend, wife, or husband. If you think Superman doesn't know loss and tragedy; it's either because you don't know Clark Kent, or because you are too selfish to understand how he could possibly empathize with others.
>>
>>81757116
Why did they put carol danvers super hero name in the picture with that red superman?
>>
>>81757907
Spiderman needed to be motivated by causing the death of his uncle to become a hero with his powers.

Superman chose to do good with his powers because he feels it's the right thing to do.
>>
>>81755620
It directly effected the way that Spider-Man's character in an irrefutable way, he had steadily progressed from a teen, to a bachelor, to boyfriend, to a loving husband, with the next logical step being father (with a great blueprint laid by MC2) but OMD fucked the storytelling style back to bachelor, and then editorial forced his financial situation back to Parker luck bullshit. It's a terrible regression that has not been undone in nearly a decade and as long as Slott has the character and Alonso/Brevoort/Quesada (potentially Lowe as well, I'm not fully sure of his stance on the marriage) are around, it's not going anywhere.
>>
>>81755055
Yes, he is
>>
>>81757012
>Ain't nothing and brave and heroic about him
Jesus wept
You've never seen him fight someone who can hurt him? Guess you don't read comics.
>>
File: TTG BB C Don't Care.jpg (170 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
TTG BB C Don't Care.jpg
170 KB, 1280x720
console war bullshit.
>>
>>81758416
It's like Spider-Man has flaws that he overcomes, like a dynamic character or something
>>
>>81757907
Superman isn't Superman because of his powers, he's Superman because two farmers from Kansas taught him how to be kind and compassionate. NOT his alien parents. If you think his biological parents were the ones to instill morals I him, it obvious that you only know of the character from MoS.

Superman inspires people and helps them when he doesn't have to, does this mean he's not a hero? By your logic, when spiderman saves someone from being shot, he is not a hero because spider sense would have prevented him from being shot.
Superman can't be hurt by bullets, but he's afraid that every bullet that ricochets off him will hit an innocent person.
Similarly, Superman's foes can hurt him just as much as Spider-Man's foes can hurt Spidey.
I don't think you know what it means to be a hero. I never said that Spiderman wasn't a hero, but you seem to be adamant that personal tragedy makes a hero, not their actions or ability to inspire others to do good.
"Somewhere in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down."
-Grant Morrison
>>
>>81757612
Not everything has to be complex or dark, Superman is a simple concept. He's a man who just wants to help people, the fact that you think he needed to be a shithead who grows up means that you can't grasp the idea that someone can be good because they were raised that way or feels that it's the right thing to do.
>>
>>81758593
Superman has flaws, and even if he didn't, it doesn't mean that he's a more or less dynamic character than Spidey. He's as human as the rest of us, he cares about his parents, he tries to take the time to balance his life as Clark with his as Supes. It seems to me that you look at people who are happy with life and think that they must have no personality, struggles, or must be harboring some dark secret.
>>
>>81759173
>Not everything has to be complex or dark, Superman is a simple concept.

Oh, if only WB and Znyder read this
>>
>>81759429
So does every superhero with a secret identity
>>
>>81759687
So? That has nothing to do with my point that he's not just a static character.
>>
>>81756576
godspeed
>>
>>81760084
>Tries to make a point
>I say it applies to everyone
>UH THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT
>>
Spiderman is my personal favorite of all time
His desing is goat as is his personality overall
>>
Superman is the stereotype of the superhero.
But Spidey is the best at actually being a superhero. Supes doesn't come near as interesting, cool or fun as him.
Ask any kid who they think is cooler, 9 out of 10 will say Spiderman
>>
>>81755055
It's painfully obvious from this thread that OP has never read a comic in his life.
It's sad that people are so cynical these days that it's hard for them to accept that people can be altruistic bc it's in their nature or the way they were raised. This is made worse when people insist that the character who created the superhero genre isn't a hero.
People also seem to think that the definition of hero is "someone who has a dark side and tries to find redemption" instead of "someone who helps and inspires others." Both characters fit the former, and only one fits the latter.
>>
File: (You).png (461 KB, 870x722) Image search: [Google]
(You).png
461 KB, 870x722
>>81760683
>>
>>81760236
It doesn't matter if it applies to everyone because we are speaking about Superman. You said he has no flaws, I responded with my post. It doesn't matter if it applies to every other hero; because it proves that like every other hero, Superman has conflict and personal problems. Stop being intentionally obtuse.
>>
>>81760954
>It doesn't matter if it applies to everyone
Yes it does, because if it does, then it's a non-issue.
>You said he has no flaws
Did I ever say he had no flaws? No, I said Spidey has more than him. They are two different statements with two different meanings.
>>
>>81755055
I'm actually looking for some good spiderman stories to read any recommendations?
>>
File: Swamp Thing V2 079-23.jpg (410 KB, 1200x1871) Image search: [Google]
Swamp Thing V2 079-23.jpg
410 KB, 1200x1871
>>81758490
It's always inconsistent, though. Spider-Man is always on message with his heroics.
>>
>>81761743
I dont know I dont read comics :)
>>
>>81761743
Spider-Man loves Mary Jane
>>
>>81758994
He shows up and saves the day. He's Goku. Learn to write concisely, faggot.
>>
>>81758076
A neurotic compulsion to fight crime does not a hero make.
>>
>>81757116
>unsure why I like dc's cpt. Marvel/shazam.

Oh well.
>>
>>81755055
Is there a reason to decide which hero is the greatest?

I mean, there are plenty of badly written ones, but at the end of the day both save the world and inspire others to do and be better. Should they ever team up there would not be a pissing contest to decide who is the greatest.

Plus we all know the contest is over and done. The greatest hero of all time is Booster Gold.
>>
>>81755620
OMD killed all character progression peter had for 3 decades
>>
>>81764744
I added evidence. I'm not going to just state a fact then wait to answer some thing they are probaby going to ask.
>>
>>81764744
It's funny that you think that's enough for these guys. They will say "so does every superhero."
>>
>>81755620
It was a stupid bullshit retcon that kinda ruined everything that came after though. Or at least helped to. It was a massive setback from which the comic STILL hasn't recovered, almost a full decade later.
>>
He barely has any wellt written stories, nowhere near on the level of Batman or Superman.
>>
>>81771436
That's exactly what you want to do, retard. No one wants to read your essay if they aren't writing the easy bits for you. 2 sentence attention spans are the norm.
>>
>>81755055
Superman is probably better solely because he stands as a symbol for others and he doesn't ever really give people a bad example

Spidey is a great hero, but his reputation works against him a lot. Cap is probably a more influential than him, though he doesn't have half the moral fibre.
>>
>>81755620
>At least he didn't die and was reborn a month after
Funny you bring that up because thirty issues or so prior a Spider-Line crossover featured Peter getting cancer, dying and being reborn in a cocoon under a bridge
>>
>>81755055
>Spiderman
Fuck off, casual filth
>>
>>81755055
Superman is a god who was sent to Earth living among men. Spider-Man is a man with (in comparison to the ultra powerful characters in his universe) relatively weak, but still does all he can just to make a difference because it's the responsible thing to do and is constantly having to push his limits to achieve that. In my opinion, that makes Spider-Man one of the best. Just think of it, the majority of the best moments of Spider-Man are from Peter Parker trying to juggle his Spider-Man life. That's what makes him relatable, he's a human trying to keep up with gods, but falls flat on his face and still has the balls to get back up. I don't care who you are, everyone can relate to that.
>>
>>81770007
Unless Slott is finally doing something good and erasing OMD during the whole Dead No More arch. It would be the perfect time to erase the OMD too, what with the dead coming back and all. I can just envision a one page spread where that little girl from OMD comes back and all the memories start flooding in.
>>
File: 1374146154807.jpg (52 KB, 412x395) Image search: [Google]
1374146154807.jpg
52 KB, 412x395
>>81764744
>He's Goku.
A selfish irresponsible manchild addicted to battle who puts the world at risk just for the sake of a good fight and only helps because he doesn't want their friends to be hurt?
Or are you talking about that faggy funimation voiceover that has nothing to do with the character?
>>
>>81757012
>heroes make mistakes and lose

That's why Superman is a SUPERhero.
>>
File: 1454209463997.png (23 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
1454209463997.png
23 KB, 557x605
>>81756576
>>
>>81755142
>/threading your own post
>>
>>81758076
Jim Corrigan had alien parents?
>>
>>81755055
greatest Superhero is someone who's power is being sad and poor
>>
File: Otto finds out.jpg (417 KB, 1024x1611) Image search: [Google]
Otto finds out.jpg
417 KB, 1024x1611
>>81755055
>He's been Spider-Man since he was 15
>He's somewhere in his 30's now
>He's spent more than half of his life fighting crime
GODSPEED SPIDER-MAN
>>
The problem with Superman is that in concept he's an ideal, a fantasy, of something we wish was real.

This big perfect american hero who's only real worry is to mantain that perfection and find solutions to problems that can't be solved. He's the fantasy of a bored salaryman who wants to overcome his normal life and go beyond, reach the stars, and be loved.

This isn't automatically bad, it gives a goal for people to strive for. A fantasy to believe.

But Spider-man is the fucking real deal. He's pretty much struggling youth trying to do the responsible thing even at the cost of personal matters, instead of looking the other way. He's the guy who would decide to help a homeless man, or not only participate but denounce corruption. That is what Spider-man would be in a symbolic sense. He's a regular guy that has given the chance to make something great, and he decides to do so because he saw his mistakes, while Superman was good to begin with. For fuck's sake, Pete could have become a total asshole considering how everyone at school treated him, and the only ones that made him happy were his family.
>>
File: 1425342909021.png (327 KB, 489x1400) Image search: [Google]
1425342909021.png
327 KB, 489x1400
>>81761743
Here you go bud
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 900x1369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 900x1369
No.
>>
>>81778547
>not reading all of USM
For what purpose?
>>
File: 1422353971533.jpg (125 KB, 620x952) Image search: [Google]
1422353971533.jpg
125 KB, 620x952
>>81778591
Oh no you don't, not on this earth!
>>
File: 1422354002841.jpg (101 KB, 620x953) Image search: [Google]
1422354002841.jpg
101 KB, 620x953
>>81778647
>>
>>81755055
Batman
>>
File: bb_bg.png (182 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
bb_bg.png
182 KB, 500x381
>>81769692
True
>>
>>81778640
Because they add in miles by that point I think?
>>
>>81778774
128 is right before Ultimatum. It's the arc that's based on the game.
>>
>>81779038
I think just going up until miles is added is fine then
>>
>>81755055
Yes, but you can't say that here.

The battards will die before accepting the obvious.
>>
>>81778145
Replace "a good fight" with "praise from the public", and that's Superman. If he wanted to help people, he'd take over the world.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.