[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Inhumans, how do you make them likeable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (183 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
183 KB, 1280x720
If Marvel is ever going to go through with replacing mutants with Inhumans, what will they have to do before you like them?
>>
>>81711524
Kill Black Bolt and Medusa.
Make Crystal the main character.
She gets married to Ronan again.

And also the comic isn't about the Inhumans, it's Guardians of the Galaxy.
>>
I would actually enjoy them if they were a monk-like society led by Karnak. I would love that.

Otherwise, screw them. I fucking hate the Inhumans!
>>
>>81711524
Just fucking stop it with the damn royal family already. There are thousands of inhumans around and all we ever get to see are the same 7 people every time.

And stompy hoof guy, fish boy, and big headed kung fu man are just plain not interesting. Almost any mutant is more popular than those guys.
>>
I'm not the only one who thinks Medusa is a raging cunt, right? I mean I know a lot of Marvel female characters are like that, but it seems especially bad with her.
>>
>>81711662
>>81711894
Kill them all start over

Ms Marvel is a solid starting point
>>
>>81711970
I've got a better idea!

Kill them all and just keep Lockjaw.
>>
>>81711894
That's because it was always about the family and not the race it has only recently become about the race. Also the case has expanded a shit load in recent years.

>>81711524
Writing better stories is what they need, likability only helps push merchandise. Besides it won't happen over night while I can imagine Inhumans gaining popularity, I don't see mutants losing any in our lifetime.

>>81711939
She is and always will be, her bitchyness has been her persistent character trait for 51 years.

>>81711970
Kamala sucks though, the situations she deals with, the flow the story, and her supporting cast contribute more to the quality of her book than she does.
>>
File: 093052532.png (338 KB, 469x516) Image search: [Google]
093052532.png
338 KB, 469x516
>>81712169
>Kamala sucks though
>>
>>81712169
>Also the case
cast:
>>
>Put them back away from the humans
>Make Soule write a Graphic Novel of how hard is to rule your kingdom while you are mute

Thanks me Later
>>
Make some more of them and put them into the spotlight. X-Men never sold shit until they replaced half of the original team with a bunch of new guys that people liked more. Do the same thing with the Inhumans.

And outside of Crystal and Black Bolt the royal family is really low powered. It really limits character creation when anyone new has to be lower than the royal family.
>>
>>81712408
So do Jenkins run again?
>>
>>81711970
Mrs Marvel is basically using the same storytelling as a mutant. Random normal person that suddenly has powers some day. Finds out they are a part of some new species.

It's a tad more relatable than someone from random wonder city from the moon.
>>
>>81712474
>half of the original team
literally everyone minus Professor X and Cyclops (who was one of less popular ones)
>>
>>81711524
I like them, but I don't like them as Mutant/X-Men replacements. They're Kirby as fuck, and despite also being Lee/Kirby, the foundation of X Men is Claremont
>>
>>81712481
YES, if I am not wrong that was in the 90s right ?

Do that again
>>
>>81711524
Auran and Nur investigations.
>>
If avengers can create a team with mutants and avenger, Why no create a team with inhumans and x-men ?

How will you call it Uncanny X-INHUMANS ?
Uncanny IN-Men ?
>>
>>81712474
>It really limits character creation when anyone new has to be lower than the royal family.
Reader, Iso, and Hub are stronger than Royal family members that aren't Black Bolt, and Unspoken, Crystal is Stronger than Iso for now and the rest are limited by experience. Soule hasn't really played "royal family are the best" game.
>>
>>81712474
Medusa has been power creeped a little and Karnak's ability has become absurd.
>>
>>81712474
>>81712698

Does power level really separate the royal family from the standard Inhuman?

And I thought the Genetic Council was the real group in charge of the society. The royal family were just figureheads.
>>
>>81712619
She's dead

>>81712657
>Uncanny IN-Men ?
That sounds gay anon. I think Marvel likes to tease the X vs I stuff too much to let them cooperate just yet. Uncanny Avengers is as close as we will have.

>>81712764
Continuity inconsistencies have made why things are the way they are in attilan really hard to answer. The genetic Council got disbanded long ago but before they were pretty much equal in political power with matters of genetics being more in the Council's favor. The royal family has been in power since the beginning and there really isn't anything separating them from normal Inhumans.
>>
>>81712764
Once upon a time it was all about how human looking they were. People who were altered into random mutant things or animals were considered lower caste. The Royals got the good genes and were mostly human with superpowers. Gorgon and Triton were the black sheep.

Things were

>No physical change, but get a superpower
>Physical change that came with genuine superpower
>Physical change that made them more powerful than normal
>Physical change (claws, orange fur, forked tongue)
>Alpha Primitive

I don't think it has been like that since the 80's though. And now they are being written as hating humans and not wanting to be like them at all so who knows how the caste system works.
>>
Not to meme around but they should just make it Game of Thrones: Muties Edition

They have this really extensive system of family and royalty and they just throw it away for 'muh prejudice'
>>
>>81712908
>She's dead
Officially, yes. But we never saw a corpse, so they wouldn't even need to dragonball her.
>>
Inhumans are mutants if Magneto and Mystique were in charge of all mutants.
>>
>>81712950
I like the mutant power ranking of

>Psychic
>Energy
>Physical

With ferals being a subtype of physical. Energy mutants are usually the most powerful with the occasional psychic being way past them.
>>
>>81713031
Yea they are kind of ancient alien version of Genosha. Magneto definitely had a most powerful rule everyone mindset.

Mutants definitely had a powerlevel based caste system.
>>
>>81713060
Franklin is energy though and he's the most powerful
>>
You write them tapping their society and history, as actual Inhumans, and not as mutants-lite stemming from one global terrorist attack.
>>
>>81713194
I thought he was psychic.

With Mikhail being the top energy mutant. Or Legion, who might also be psychic.
>>
>>81713288
He has physic powers but that's not what makes him the most powerful

It's the whole reality creation/manipulation stuff, definitely an energy power as he is "creating"
>>
>>81712950
It would probably be more ground in stone if all the lore wasn't written in handbooks. The royal family were on top long before Terrigen became a thing but after the fact practiced incest and arranged marriages to keep the genes that would result in horrific transformations our of their gene pool. Triton becoming a fish man alerted his parents that they have such genes and that is why Karnak never got it
>>
Drop the Royal Family, make it more about the regular people within their society.

It can be a fish out of water series with a few Inhumans roaming away from Attilan and going to human civilization to see what it is like.

Or they went out to go look for the random Inhumans that were living in the world and were affected by the terregen bomb.
>>
>>81711524
>If Marvel is ever going to go through with replacing mutants with Inhumans, what will they have to do before you like them?

Inherently contradictory. They have to stop being shilled as replacement mutants and start being their own thing. They also need to stop the Black Bolt wankery where a single whisper of his is enough to destroy the entire Marvel multiverse and parts of the DC multiverse
>>
You can't just write Inhumans are mutants. Inhumans:
>were explicitly created by a known, not-immortal not-omniscient, etc. alien race as a scientific experiment
>mutations are explicitly the result of a genetic problem, and risk extreme health problems outside of their social setup
> live in a xenophobic society which has been frequently relocated (e.g. from the fucking moon) and attacked
>live in an outdated caste society with a monarch with near-absolute power (like Atlantis, like Wakanda)
>society has had a slave caste released from servitude in living memory
>have completely different cultural values to most human societies
>are currently hugely increasing in numbers through an act of biological terrorism, but whose new members are totally alien to their existing culture and values
>mutations are actually a choice, albeit one with an immense amount of social pressure towards making

I'm against the disregard the royal family stuff and write about Inhumans trying to be humans. They aren't human, and using them like that is the not!mutant angle that just doesn't work very well. Actually explore what it's like to be an existing Inhuman, or one of the new Inhumans, within a society that is completely alien to most human ones. Use the royal family, but don't use them like a super-team that wanders around - write them like a royal family.
>>
I think it's the whole terrigen part that makes it a hard sell as a replacement for mutants. Basically they go roll the dice to see if they get superpowers or get turned into giant teleporting dogs. That's a real shit decision that can go very badly.

The characters have to want to undergo terrigenesis somehow and then do it and see what comes from it. To do that they have to live in Attilan and cannot be a regular schmo living in Jersey.

The thing about mutants is that it could be anyone living anywhere, and the power randomly happens in relation to their lifestyle and situation. It just manifests. Someone who needs to breathe in some weird crystal to gain powers cannot easily be an everyday relatable story.
>>
>>81713622
Yea that power creep was a weird one. Somehow he has to be the most powerful blaster on Earth with just making tiny noises.

In the 70's he had a thousand other bullshit hax powers like conjuring up random objects anytime he wanted or rearranging the molecules in something next to him.

I'm not sure if he can still do that electron control thing anymore.
>>
make them mutants.
>>
>>81711662
Thats something that would make me pick up the book again.
>>
>>81713814
Terrigenesis doesn't make an Inhuman. You're an Inhuman with or without terrigenesis, and not all Inhumans do it. If you do undergo terrigenesis, then there's quite a religious/destined thing about the abilities/gifts you gain and how that is set as what you need to, and should, contribute to the world.
>>
>>81711524
do what they did with the mutants.
Give them to a good writer for a few years and give him/her free reign to do whatever they want with them.
Someone who can introduce new ideas and reinvent old ones and build their mythos.
>>
Stop having their entire storyline being about gassing the filthy muties and flying over sovereign air space with a big fuck off ship and start introducing more reasonable, relatable characters. I actually don't mind Crystal that much but the parts where she starts wanting to not help because the people in danger are humans and not Nuhumans is kind of where I start just falling off the fucking wagon. The royal family would work far better as seldom seen advisors for the new meta-humans instead of being the main focus of the books.
>>
I think that's fundamentally what's wrong with them.

The Inhumans would be infinitely better if Marvel was ok with them being not likable
>>
>>81713453
Lockjaw looks like a Mongolian.
>>
>>81713622
>>81713786

People keep thinking of them as another flavor of mutant because Marvel wants to replace mutants with them.

So using something that has not worked in daces vs something that has worked for at least three means they should probably emulate the latter.
>>
The Inhumans is another concept that no current writer at Marvel understands, and because of that will never be able to do properly. They will just slowly dismantle the world of the Inhumans and scrap it's pieces off to more popular books.
>>
>>81714039
Marvel was sort of dancing around this in the early 90's when all things X-Men were huge.

They tried toying with the idea that all powers really were deep down from the same thing that made mutants. A hidden gene placed there by Celestials. And the accident heroes just triggered it artificially through Gamma radiation, cosmic rays, radioactive spider bites, serums, anything really. It's still an activated x-gene power only it was triggered by some other force instead of just killing the person in the most horrific way imaginable. Or just giving them cancer.

Maybe the Kree were the first ones to discover it and isolate it in humans.
>>
>>81712657
x-humans
exhumans
>>
File: 1458063946865.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2951) Image search: [Google]
1458063946865.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2951
>>81714035
It is how he gets dressed
>>
>>81713559
I want to see how they build communities after the mist, in different climates.
EU starts a joint-forces program that tries to make them a fighting force, Russia has to deal with waves of resentment against them while trying to make them useful, but their people get riled up like they just built a monument to a gay tranny.
US sees partial migration to Attilan and Inhumans gathering in new settlements that spring up, some of which turn into weird cults.
China tries to bottle them up and struggles to maintain stability as people with inherent power outside government control seem to challenge party rule.
>>
>>81714158
People keep thinking of them as another flavor of mutant because at some point writers turned mutantso into inhumans.
genosha, house of M, the safe haven, mutants as a separate race that lives isolated from the rest of humanity, are all traditionally inhuman plots that have been slapped onto the x-men in the last 15/20 years.
Those guys got it right.
>>81713104
>>81713031

Essentially for the longest time the conflict between x-men and magneto was that he wanted mutants to live like inhumns, while xavier wanted them to live in the world among all other humans.
Morrison tried to set things right again and force mutants to not live cooped up in their own nation, but it didn't take.
>>
>>81714369
And still they are no mutants. They are like dogs are to big wolfs.

Inhumans are living weapons. mutants are tragedies.
Thats why Inhumans are a monastry and Mutants are more like tragic humans.
>>
>>81711524
They shouldn't be likable. My favorite Inhumans stories portrays them as huge dicks.
>>
I never doubted GOTG or Ant-Man, but I don't think Inhumans is a good book for film.
>>
File: tumblr_m7x0o4x0231rbmbw5o1_500.jpg (83 KB, 456x386) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7x0o4x0231rbmbw5o1_500.jpg
83 KB, 456x386
>>81712169
>Kamala sucks though
>>
But I like them. Also I feel a lot of the people voting to have the inhumans mix with humans or mixing up likability with reliability. The problem I have with that is 1. the story was done with Crystal, 2. they haven't done much with live with attilan so it should start there go off the similarities they have with humans. 3 being weirdos among regulars has been done to death by the muggas and likely better. We already have All new Inhumans focusing on a largely non royal cast, we just need a non royal attilan native.
>>
>>81714817
>genosha, house of M,
both is considered "bad guys" and only were good story arcs because of the "good guys" stories before and in comparisons.
>the safe haven, mutants as a separate race that lives isolated
But it wasnt their core, deciding to live in their own city,but trying to hida and build a safe place.
And thats why Inhumans dont work or will get popular as mutants.
Inhumans are doomed and will fall into obsurity.
>>
>>81715080
That's what I'm saying. We need stories of Attilans that paint them in the light of power politics, especially since they are a nation now.
Agents of the Throne, spying and black-ops for Medusa.
>>
>>81715080
>>81715288
I always saw them as the cosmic mutants, working on earth feels weird.

And i like the idea of Games of -Throne, that wuld work better than "another mutant human offshot"
>>
>>81711524
I don't think you can. What makes them interesting is that they're not likable.

The Inhumans are what the MU would be if Kirby had created the whole thing on his own: interesting, freakish characters who are not particularly relatable. Comics creators have always been fascinated by them because they're some of the purest Kirby characters in the MU - but that's the same thing that means they'll never be popular. Same with the Fourth World characters who aren't Darkseid.
>>
>>81717127
Between Inhumans, Asgardians, New Gods, Kirby was really into the whole idea of species of superpowered people that wore costumes as their regular clothes.
>>
>>81718112
Don't forget the eternals

He wanted that super society thing
>>
>>81718112
And he liked the idea of superpowered people living apart from the normal world, which is almost the exact opposite of the Stan Lee approach of putting everyone in New York and having constant crossovers.
>>
>>81711524
Might as well ask how to make Hulk calm or Batman happy.
Being cunts is literally the Inhumans' entire shtick, has been for decades.
>>
>>81718664
I just never understood why half of them still wear masks when they are not hiding from anything, everyone knows who they are and everyone has superpowers.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.