[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
[adult swim]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 11
File: [adult swim] thumbnail.jpg (2 MB, 2595x1622) Image search: [Google]
[adult swim] thumbnail.jpg
2 MB, 2595x1622
I made another thing. Is adult swim the last great animation block?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkup4zo97E0
>>
>>81695487
I like it OP, keep up the good work.
>>
Very nice.
>>
>>81695487
Do you have the thumbnail for the Superman video? That one was great too.
>>
>>81695707
>>
>>81695760
Thanks OP, you da best.
>>
Kind of a sparse history, you skip around too much and don't go into major influences on the block like the Boston incident or the falling out with creators like Brendon Small.

Cool video though, and your editing's really sharp. I was just expecting a little more meat from the title. Still I wanna see where you go next so I'm gonna subscribe. Keep working!
>>
>>81695487
Pretty good, keep that good work.

I would agree with >>81695879, though. Maybe a 2-parter would be enough to cover it.
>>
>>81695879
I'm trying to keep each video as short as possible, I actually went into the boston scare in the script but cut it for time. Adult Swim has such a bloated history its hard to condense it into 8 minutes. Thanks for subscribing dude
>>
>>81695936
>>81695879
Fuck this OP, you did a great job.
>>
You gonna submit it to AS?
>>
>[Adult Swim]

Fuckin' A man, I would've guessed Toonami, and you did mention it, but people have done Toonami before, what you did was something I had no idea I wanted. And it was great.
>>
>>81695958
Any reason? Just a personal limit?
>>
I quit listening as soon as I heard some dipshit who sounded like he was trying to talk with a cock in his mouth, but good on you for creating future historical evidence for autism after the species dies out from lack of reproduction.
>>
>>81696109
most people are goldfish, myself included. A 25 minute retrospective wouldn't get much traffic. And it would take much much longer to edit
>>
>>81696146
Mate, this is all getting archived so you just did as well.
>>
>>81695487
I subscribed to you when I saw the superman video on the featured section and I had a feeling you were a /co/mrade
>>
>>81696146
Thanks for the view!
>>
>>81695487
I wouldn't say Cowboy Bebop was the first adult themed anime that was shown on Cartoon Network, per say, as Midnight Run was going on way before [adult swim].
>>
>>81695487
This video almost brought me to tears. Thank you so much for this!

Any chance we could get a list of all the songs featured in the video? I had no idea that Toro y Moi produced for Tyler! Would love to know the rest of the beats in the vid
>>
>>81695487
nice job dude! keep these coming!

gotta ask, have you enabled your youtube channel for monetizing? are you ok with disclosing how much you made from your first vid?
>>
>>81695487
Better voice this time. Skipped the out-of-tone jokes too. Good job. It's starting to remind me of Tony Zhou's every frame a painting.
>>
>>81696169
Just make an R-Rated extended edition when the DVD comes out.
>>
OP i've been dying for another quality Youtube channel to watch and look forward to updates from, and you've filled that gap adequately.

Keep up the good work.
>>
File: 1438275806113.png (31 KB, 328x396) Image search: [Google]
1438275806113.png
31 KB, 328x396
>>81695487
All that video did was make me angry because Adult Swim is just the McFarlane cartoon block now. They're just as guilty as other networks for "playing it safe".
>>
>>81697863
Also the black background with white text bumps are way overdue for retirement, none of the other bumps in [as]'s history have been used for so long.
>>
you gotta sub from me dude. Any Tyler fan is favorite of mine

I also kinda do the shit you do. but in bits I guess
https://youtu.be/W_eYuaYmAMo
>>
>>81695963
They didn't say he did a bad job they were just giving some critique.
>>
This was really well done

Kinda curious to see if you'll do toonami and if you'll cover the scandals that popped up with adult swim
>>
>>81695487
Any hints about the next video?
>>
>>81696222
Yeah, I saw that in another thread, too. Had no idea the guy was on /co/, just assumed someone was linking a random video.

Love your stuff, OP. You have a nice mellow voice that's easy to listen, too.
>>
>>81697977
>>81697863
Well, yeah. That's the point. Adult Swim has always subsisted on a shoestring budget.

McFarlane shows are basically the pillar they cling onto for ratings so they can work on experimental stuff. And the text bumps are their signature.
>>
that shit sucks
>>
I would have agreed that "adult swim was about creativity & spontaneity" 3 years ago. Not so much today.

Mike Lazzo is a hack who sabotages the talent the network manages to attract. [as] is the Seth Mcfarelane re-run network. They traded their innovating cutting edge appeal for the cold calculations of corporate pragmatism. The magic is gone.

Whatever finger they once had on the pulse of youth-culture is gone. The most striking example of this (besides Mr. Pickles S1&2) was how bungling the corporate meddling in Brad Neely's China, IL was. They had NO CLUE what made Neely's internet work successful. It's evident in every change made from the pilot to the series premier. It went from a charming & personal to sleek & bombastic. I can only imagine the phrase "Family Guy audience" was used when urging Neely towards the direction the show was moved in.

I grew up with [as], but they network has rapidly dwindled the goodwill they painstaking accrued over a decade of doing something nobody else was doing.
>>
>>81705365
When I see [as] now I see a network coasting off its former achievements & reputation. I see a corporation that cares more about building a brand to see mobile-app games than producing original programming. I see a network that would sink the efforts of its own creators because they can't squeeze everything they want out of it rather than give its fans a proper conclusion (Metalocalypse)

The latest april fool's prank (literally NOTHING) is emblematic of this. The joke was subverting the expectation that [as] still cares to put in the effort to surprise its audience. The laziest 'prank' possible. Where once they would have gone to great lengths to surprise & bemuse its audience, it now follows the path of least resistance.
>>
Pretty damn good videos op.
>>
>>81695487
Cool video, I'd love to see a part two, where you go into more detail about other stuff i.e.. >>81695879
>>
>>81701578
>McFarlane shows are basically the pillar they cling onto for ratings so they can work on experimental stuff.
Yeah, but FOX shows didn't use to take up 75% of the block.
>>
Is Off the Air worth watching?
>>
That was excellent.
>>
>>81695487
>Is adult swim the last great animation block?
Watch it tonight and tell me for yourself OP. I love the video, but you're blinded by nostalgia if you think they haven't sold out/gone downhill ala MTV in recent years.
>>
>>81708929
you'll find interesting animations and animators

Cyriak has become super popular now every since adultswim aired his Meow video along side the rest of the animations in Off the Air

AS is a great place to get known tbhwy
>>
Saw it this morning OP. Really good stuff. Keep it up.
>>
>>81708929
Is there a God worth praising?
>>
>>81695487
What subject are you doing next OP? If you know yet that is
>>
A pretty solid and brief look into Adult Swim. Wouldn't mind a look at the death of 2d animation in films or steamboat willie anything would be cool
>>
File: 137153246754.png (147 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
137153246754.png
147 KB, 500x375
Damn son keep making these. Do you have a patreon or something?
>>
Make a video on Hanna Barbera!
someday!
>>
>all the people in here sucking OPs dick
Anyone watching from the very beginning could have told you fags this stuff

you like it because it's wrapped up in an artsy little youtube.
>>
>>81710202
Just doing a look into the influences and references in Over The Garden Wall would be a cool intro to basically all of that.
>>
I feel like [as] really just lucked out then sold out. Considering the poorly written and acted live-action shows, the belittling of Toonami, increased incorporation of McFarlane shows, and the bullshit they pulled with Brendan Small, the magic is gone and there's only one or two shows worth looking at now instead of a buffet of entertainment.

>>81710421
>You only like it because it's entertaining!
F-, anon. See me after class.
>>
Fuck Mike Lazzo
>has disowned his involvement in Space Ghost Coast to Coast
>gave Home Movies low priority compared to Williams Street originals, sometimes airing new episodes at 3 AM and months apart from each other; eventually cancelled it because it was cheaper to rerun Family Guy in it's place
>told the creators of Moral Orel to make the show darker, cancelled it for being "too dark"
>cancelled China Il and Aqua Teen without letting the creators have a say
>refused to give Stroker and Hoop a Season 2 pickup despite previously stating otherwise, leaving the show to end on a cliffhanger
>bought the rights to millions of dollars in FOX reruns which squandered the budget for Mission Hill's potential revival
>has a hard on for Tim and Eric and Seth McFarlane shows
>won't give Metalocalypse another season to wrap up the series because of a petty argument over creative control with Brendon Small
>was a major proponent of Loiter Squad and was instrumental in keeping it on air as long as it was
>almost passed up on Rick and Morty in favor of Mr. Pickles
>got into some random internet fight with Jon Benjamin and David Cross for some reason
>will all but let corporate sponsors fuck him in the ass at this point; wants Adult Swim to be "more like TBS"
>is now pushing for the development of "a Tosh.0 type program" made in conjuncture with Worldstar Hip Hop.com
>his favorite Adult Swim program of all time is apparently Robot Chicken

More facts
>The Metalocalypse debacle where they retain the full rights of the songs produced for the show and give him almost no royalties except what he makes in concert.

And let's not forget
>http://www.avclub.com/article/david-cross-h-jon-benjamin-and-mike-lazzo-engage-e-215577
>>
File: 1458307050254.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1479) Image search: [Google]
1458307050254.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1479
>>81711506
>bought the rights to millions of dollars in FOX reruns which squandered the budget for Mission Hill's potential revival
WHA
>>
It’s crazy how downhill Adult Swim has gone recently.

For example, in December of 2008, when Adult Swim only broadcast seven hours a night, this is what their schedule included:

You had Moral Orel*, The Boondocks*, Aqua Teen*, Robot Chicken*, Superjail*, Frisky Dingo*, Squidbillies*, Metalacolypse*, Xavier: Renegade Angel*, The Drinky Crow Show*, Tim and Eric Awesome Show: Great Job*, Sealab 2021, Stroker and Hoop, Tom Goes to the Mayor, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, Home Movies, Mission Hill, Clerks: the Animated Series, Minoriteam, and Lucy Daughter of the Devil all in regular rotation,.

Also, Anime aired at that time by Adult Swim included Astro Boy, FLCL, Code Geass, Shin Chan, The Big O, Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note, Moribito, Ghost in the Shell, and Bleach.

Seth McFarlane shows only aired in reruns in the 11 PM hour: reruns Monday-Thursday and new episodes on Sundays.

Today, Adult Swim has expanded to airing for 10 hours a night, and this is what their lineup is comprised of:

Robot Chicken*, Squidbillies*, Venture Brothers*, Children’s Hospital* (new episodes airing, but has been cancelled), Mr. Pickles*, Mike Tyson Mysteries*, Rick and Morty*, DVR Theater* (currently Infomercials reruns, sometimes premieres of Off The Air, Fishcenter Live, or other specials; was formerly a showcase for older AS shows), and Aqua Teen are the only non-FOX comedy programs currently airing.

The only anime airing on Adult Swim is Dragonball Z Kai, Dimension W, Samurai Champloo, Naruto: Shippuden, One Piece, and Kill La Kill.

Reruns of Family Guy, Cleveland Show, and American Dad alone make up over 60% of Adult Swim’s lineup, while Bob’s Burgers and King of the Hill reruns also air 6 and 7 nights a week, respectively.

* denotes the shows that were in production and airing new episodes on AS that year.
>>
File: 1380893346241.jpg (27 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
1380893346241.jpg
27 KB, 330x330
>>81695487

This and superman were awesome hell I never even seen the superman old cartoon the animation is fucking great.
>>
>>81695487
Keep up the work.
Editing is great, narration is almost neutral.

What another topics do You intend to make?
>>
>>81695487
Even today, Adult Swim continues to exist on the cutting edge of television programming by bringing you not only 8 hours of FOX reruns but two (that's right, two whole!) episodes of Robot Chickenâ„¢ in a row every night!

And kids, don't forget to tune in this Sunday for "Mr. Pickles", the choice watered-down Metalocalypse/Superjail copycat program amongst male viewers aged 12 - 18!

Wubbalubbalubdub! *burps*
>>
File: 1394075011864.jpg (13 KB, 253x225) Image search: [Google]
1394075011864.jpg
13 KB, 253x225
>>81715852
I haven't actually turned on at TV in a few years, do they really still show Robot Chicken?
>>
>>81712052
DVR Theater is still a showcase for old Adult Swim shows for roughly half the year. They had NTSF, Tim & Eric Awesome Show, 12 oz mouse, Birdman, Sealab, Assy McGee, Lucy Daughter of the Devil, Mary Shelley's, Xavier, and Frisky Dingo on the block last year.
>>
>>81716593
Twice a night every weekday (until Friday next week, when Childrens Hospital reruns take 12:00am and R&M takes 11pm) and a new episode on Sundays. They repeat RC again later in the night, too (except Friday)
>>
>>81716956
True. Though it looks like that aspect has been phased out a lot more so far in 2016, not to mention there are less originals on the block as a whole compared to this time early 2015 (particularly on Sunday nights).
>>
http://www.avclub.com/article/watch-trippy-thumbnail-history-basic-cables-affabl-235117

AV club did an article about your video dude
>>
Great video man. Subscribed to the channel, looking forward to see what you have coming up.
>>
>>81717490
yeah, and it's been highly upvoted on /r/television, /r/videos, and /r/adultswim (this thread's OP posted it to the first and last subs), so it's safe to say this vid has been spreading like a wildfire
>>
>>81717490
link is not working for me
>>
>>81695487
You earned a new subscriber. Good job, and I hope to see more of your great work.
>>
>>81696410
I ripped this straight out of the youtube comment section:

Song at 0:07 - Eris Starkey
Song at 3:14 - D-Code-Dust Devil
Song at 4:40 - Flying Lotus - Massage Situation
Song at 7:00 - Richie Branson - Bring Back Toonami
Song at 7:50 (Outro) - Tyler The Creator - Hey You
>>
>>81719593
cheers
>>
>>81718604
I just checked those subreddit things, looks like it made it to the front page. Congrats OP
>>
>>81695487
Subbed. Great video, man.
>>
File: 1436456564033.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1436456564033.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
>>81695487
you've been subbed to.

I also liked it.
>>
>>81695487
I don't visit this board often, but this video was pretty great man. I enjoyed it.
>>
>>81695487
Very nice brief overview of the development of AS. When I was a kid, I had MTV's Liquid Television as my kind of Adult Swim before Adult Swim came around when I was in high school.

If you ever made a more in depth version, I'd love to hear about what happened with Hanna Barbara and running anime on AS. While I understand Fox cartoons help keep the money coming in, why does it now consist almost 80% of the entire block's content?

I'd also like to know more about the live action vs cartoon elements. The live action shows seem to have pushed the cartoons out almost entirely.
>>
b
>>
>>81695487
>I made
This is great. I liked the Superman video even more. Fleischer's my favorite animator(s).
The production values in the videos are high, and you have a voice that's comfortable to listen to because it sounds like you speak really naturally. Blows similar "informative YouTube videos" out of the water with no survivors! Good job, hope to see lots of future vids.
>>
File: sgc2c.jpg (58 KB, 934x623) Image search: [Google]
sgc2c.jpg
58 KB, 934x623
I don't know what to say except subbed and don't rush the next video
>>
>>81695487
Please do a part two with a more in depth analysis of AS and their more "out there" programming
>>
Man this is just reminding me, I downloaded the adult swim april fools for ATFH's movie along with the entire series. I watched through it and holy shit, I felt so much nostalgia just going through their old schedule, I know it's an odd request, but is there anyway or anything I could watch the old showings? Bumps and all?
>>
>>81725426
I've been wondering the same thing. I know theres anons who are in the process (or will be) of digitizing their old vhs tapes
>>
>>81725661
That's great to hear, I don't know how to say it other than just claiming nostalgia but the old schedule seemed to mix so well together
>>
>>81725426
I think you can find some on Kametsu. I think a lot of them are of their anime schedual but there should be some others.

I'd like to know, is there anywhere that has raw DVDISO's of Space Ghost and other [as] shows? A lot of shows from [as] have shitty rips online, and while this is mostly do to not even having DVD releases at all, some have DVDs out there but just shitty rips.
>>
File: 1429071366362.png (428 KB, 1280x914) Image search: [Google]
1429071366362.png
428 KB, 1280x914
>>81721255
>While I understand Fox cartoons help keep the money coming in, why does it now consist almost 80% of the entire block's content?
You want to know why anon? Think back to your childhood, remember getting a sneak peak at those raunchy cartoons/anime before your mom screamed at you to get your ass to sleep? I think thats one of the reason why AS did so well, I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but its an old business idea. Get the audience hooked on a beloved show, (Powerpuff Girls, E, E, n' E), then after the show they will probably stick around to see what comes next. The problem with Fox is nobody would watch half of the shit that goes on in there, specially their shitty Bazinga-type sitcoms that go on before their adult cartoons. Fox may know this and decides to make deals with AS to air more Mcfarlane shit, AS and Fox make more money and so everybody wins. Its sad that this is the future of AS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RGU6Tcvcpk

Let me ask you anons a question? How would you run the block? Id air more anime. Less MacFarlane shit. More action oriented comedy shows like Venture Bros, Black Dynamite, Boondocks. More subversive surreal stuff like ATHF. And movies, air a bunch of Ralph Bakshi shit or Anime films, or maybe something fucked up like Watership Down.
>>
Jokes aside, good on OP for getting some recognition for this. It shows you, yes you anon reading this, can stop being a shitter and make something good!
>>
>>81726455

Family Guy and other Seth shows being such a huge rating grabbers is why AS can make shows like Venture Bros, Black Dynamite,and Boondocks.

TV networks run on money, not internet nerd cred
>>
>>81726455
4am stoner trap hour every weeknight.
And a midnight movie once a week.
>>
Bumping quality OC
>>
>>81695487
>that last part from 7:32 to 7:41 of the Venture Bros characters tumbling as they fall
That's gif material, right there.

Well, most of this video is gif material.
>>
>>81726945
I get that. It's been like that since 2003. But the problem is the QUANTITY of McFarlane shows compared to the QUANTITY of originals aired.
>>
>>81695879
I agree that the timeline was a bit sparse but yeah, I see your point with >>81695936
that you want to try and keep it short and sweet. Still, it would have been nice to see a retrospective that went over the full history with your editing, it was pretty tight.
>>
>>81726455
I disagree about "more anime" being anything but suicide for the network, but movies are a great idea. The problem, as >>81726945 notes, is that the network's funds are already built around that mountain of MacFarlane crap. So for whatever cuts you make to FOX shows, you cause commensurate damage to all the other, smaller, more original fare that orbits them.

Sure, it wouldn't destroy them, but that money comes and goes via somewhere. Maybe Rick & Morty gets a half season or its art budget gets slashed. Maybe season 2 of your favorite breakout hit gets cancelled, because they tightened the Family Guy spigot.
>>
>>81697977
Why? It's iconic, it's simple, and it's a cool way to interact with the viewer. They experiment with it and try to showcase new music at least, I don't really see the point of fundamentally changing something that works perfectly like that.
>>
>>81705365
>>81705879
I agree with you to a certain extent. I still think they're experimenting a lot with their off the air stuff, animated bumps, and Toonami but they've definitely been dropping the ball in the places you cited.
>>
>>81731083
I feel like Adult Swim could benefit from making more of the still image bumps like what they used to have.
Also I want a 4K version of that dawn is your enemy bump.
>>
>>81695487
I think it was a mistake to leave out that Adult Swim is one of, if not the biggest indie game publishers around these days.
>>
>>81711506

source on this?
>>
>>81711506
Whattttt? There was going to be a Mission Hill revival? I'm so disappointed right now I loved that show.
>>
>>81696146
>>81696255

In true Adult Swim fashion;

>we still have your fucking money!
>>
>>81695487
Great video OP, keep it up! This only makes me annoyed that us UK viewers were fobbed off with the short lived 'CNX', and never got Adult Swim until last year on Fox UK.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.