[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What year did you start reading comics, what was your first comic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 21
File: image.jpg (647 KB, 1242x1920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
647 KB, 1242x1920
What year did you start reading comics, what was your first comic and what got you interested?

>1999
>No man's land
>BTaS

Also I don't read comics is allowed but then please say why you come to post here whether it is for the movies or cartoons.
>>
>>81630325
>2000
>Xmen
>Xmen movies
>>
>Around 2003
>Amazing Spider-Man
>Spider-Man movies
>Stopped reading comics for a few years because of One More Day
>Started reading again in 2010 with Batman: Year One
>>
>>81630325
>no replies

Toppest of keks. I knew there was a reason I didn't post here anymore. Whats wrong faggots afraid to admit to OP you started with the McU?
>>
>try to start a thread about comics
>on /co/

Good luck
>>
File: capcarnage7_600x806.jpg (90 KB, 600x806) Image search: [Google]
capcarnage7_600x806.jpg
90 KB, 600x806
When I was a kid probably somewhere around the age of 10, I'm 26

Maximum Carnage, specifically the issue of Spectacular where Cap shows up at the last page

Idk, I liked Spider-Man and Venom and they were both on the cover and I didn't know anything about arcs or where they begin so that's probably what prompted me to start there
>>
>>81630325
>2010
>Morrison's Batman and Robin
>I was on Robin's wiki page for whatever reason and the premise for B&R was weird enough that I decided to read it.
>>
>2013
>New 52 Suicide Squad
>BTAS/Injustice
>>
2007? I read some before that as a kid but I don't remember them and they were usually incomplete story arcs.

Anyway I was in college and had this stoner roommate who was into indie music, comics, drugs, etc. and he let me borrow whatever I wanted, so I ended up reading "the classic stuff" like Watchmen, Killing Joke, All-Star Superman, etc. and a few other things. I think I read Watchmen first because the movie was coming up.

First I purchased and picked out myself was Morrison's Batman and Robin, loved it, that's what pulled me into ongoings.
>>
>2010
>Ellis's Authority
>came across Midnighter and Apollo somewhere, they sounded cool, I looked up the comics
>>
>>81630325
>1998 was my first comic, 2002 was my first ongoing
>1998 - Adventures in the DC Universe
>2002 - Ultimate Spider-Man
>>
>>81630325

It was my brother's Doctor Strange comic, but I was only 6 and didn't really understand it.

The art did make me interested enough to check out other comics like Iron Fist & Deadly Hands of Kung-fu.
>>
My grandparents bought me a bunch of X-Men comics during the early 90s when I was a kid. I didn't really get into reading comics until post 2000 though.
>>
File: 038.jpg (94 KB, 484x750) Image search: [Google]
038.jpg
94 KB, 484x750
Back when grocery stores still carried comic books, I would always read one while waiting in line, with this being the first one. I don't know if it was this issue specifically, but I do remember Peter confronting Venom at the football field in the rain. It seemed pretty fucking cool at the time, so I kept reading comics.
>>
File: Sensational_She-Hulk_Vol_1_3.jpg (29 KB, 255x395) Image search: [Google]
Sensational_She-Hulk_Vol_1_3.jpg
29 KB, 255x395
>>81630325
>1988
>She-Hulk comic with Spider-Man on it
>Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
>>
>>81630325
>06
>Deadpool Suicide Kings
>The Hulk vs Wolverine cartoon
>>
>>81631162
>06
meant 09
>>
>>81630325
> 2008
> Deadpool (Original run)
> X-Men Legends

I always like comic book characters growing up but never really felt any big desire to read them until the Legends games. They started using more obscure characters i had never heard of which made me really curious so I decided to read Deadpool since he interested me the most. I loved it and it made me start reading as much as I could, but it also made the boom in Deadpools popularity around that time unbearable.
>>
>>81630325
>2011
>bought New 52 Batman comics with my caddie money

It's funny, now that I've gone back and read a shit ton of comics from over the past ~40 years I think Flashpoint was a mistake, even though it's what incentivized me to start reading monthlies in the first place. I eventually starting reading Batman comics "from the beginning" at Year One and went my way though his career, and started getting really sad when I got to Inc because I knew the characters I had come to love were going away.
>>
>>81631734
Oh, and BTAS got me into Batman in general, while a friend in HS lending me Watchmen was what got me into comics.
>>
>>81630325
X-23
>>
>>81630325
>2014
>Brubaker's Cap run
>Captain America: The Winter Soldier
I'm pretty new to the medium.
>>
>>81630325
Probably '98 or '99, maybe early 2000. I was pretty young and the comic was about a guy that had topless french maids(?) but I can't seem to find the name of the comic. I think the main character's name was Alexander.

Other than that, mostly Batman Returns and TAS got me into comics. My first superhero comics were bargain bin Clone Saga issues.
>>
>>81630325
>but then please say why you come to post here

I don't have to say shit.
>>
>2005
>Runaways
>Young Avengers
>New X-men
>>
File: punisher-the-russian-cincodays.jpg (117 KB, 595x460) Image search: [Google]
punisher-the-russian-cincodays.jpg
117 KB, 595x460
• circa 2001
• The Punisher (Non-MAX), Ennis' run
• I always wanted to get into comics I just never found something that caught me, this did.
>>
>1998
>Maus
>I thought graphic novel just meant explicit content
>>
>>81630325

i learned to read when i was 4 years old
>>
>>81631883
At least you're reading unlike the majority of this board.
>>
After seeing the first Spider-Man movie, whatever year that was was
JMS or Jenkins Spider trades at my library
Also Garfeild strip books
>>
>>81630325
Avengers 2000, right around the Bendis era started. Loved Disassembled as a kid and desu I still have a soft spot for Bendis. Ultimate Spider-man was my fucking jam back then. Also read Fantastic Four back then.
>>
>>81630826
Why are you here, ancient one?
>>
>>81630325
>2005
>Batgirl Year One
>Sandman
>House of M
>>
gi joe and transformers comics
gi joe and transformers toys.

4 or 5 years later I had a friend introduce me to X-men comics and I've been collecting and reading capes ever since.

A few years later I started reading sandman which started me on the road to reading indie and self published stuff
>>
>>81631953
I want to reflect on that more, as a preteen this was a great time to get into comics. I don't know about other anons but as a preteen I was obsessed with teenaged MCs and Marvel was releasing three stellar teen books. I don't think marvel or DC has released that level of quality to quantity for teen books before or since.
>>
>>81630325
>2007
>Civil War Spider-Man, Sinestro Corps War,Morrison Batman
>Borders, my dad went there saturdays to play chess and I woukd resd tpbs in the store
>>
>1996
>pic related
>born in '92. Comics were everywhere so it came natural for mi to just pick one up
>>
File: 956369-mmpr_marvel_3_jan_1996.jpg (65 KB, 419x640) Image search: [Google]
956369-mmpr_marvel_3_jan_1996.jpg
65 KB, 419x640
>>81632426
>>
File: fellowKids.webm (533 KB, 425x240) Image search: [Google]
fellowKids.webm
533 KB, 425x240
>>81630826
>>
File: 80s dance montage.jpg (127 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
80s dance montage.jpg
127 KB, 1024x640
>>81630325
>What year did you start reading comics
The late 80's I guess 1988
>what was your first comic
Calvin and Hobbes
>and what got you interested
It was cool. I would pretend to read the newspaper with my grandmother and she would read "the funnies" to me
>>
Sometime around when Marvel launched their digital comics ages ago Circa early 2001. Mostly on the free stuff they had.
My internet was slow as fuck but i crammed all of the ultimate books I could find (and there were entire arcs in there!)

Shilling aside that was my first exposure to it. Then hitching rides and getting stuff at Barnes and Noble or whatever local comic book shop when I took trips to the states.

Aftet that Amazon and its shipping built up my library.
Now Win-O-Threads help but if I really liked the book I'll order the softcover on the run.
>>
File: 1540060-085.jpg (69 KB, 420x640) Image search: [Google]
1540060-085.jpg
69 KB, 420x640
>>81630325
Late 80s.
GI Joe, Archie Digests, Gladstone Disneys, something like that. This is one of the earliest issues I have strong memories of.

Availability, for one. There used to be spinner racks and newstands all over the place. You could barely buy anything without being able to buy comics.
Then cartoons, and Prisoners of Gravity.
>>
>>81630325

>Don't know early 90s, but regular reader late 90's
>Dragon Ball
>>
File: Bionicles.jpg (53 KB, 240x368) Image search: [Google]
Bionicles.jpg
53 KB, 240x368
Do these count? I got them with Lego magazine when I was kid back in the early 2000s
>>
>>81632463
>>
File: Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_338.jpg (102 KB, 400x606) Image search: [Google]
Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_338.jpg
102 KB, 400x606
>1996
>Uncanny X-Men 338
>My mother

She wanted me to enjoy the act of reading and though the best way was to start with comics. I'm 25 now and still enjoy capeshit.
>>
File: satsuki_eyebrows.gif (77 KB, 250x277) Image search: [Google]
satsuki_eyebrows.gif
77 KB, 250x277
>>81631995
>I thought graphic novel just meant explicit content
>>
>mid two thousands
>some Flash trade in a local library involving a kid dressed up as Joker and a bridge rebuilding
Until then I thought comics weren't even a thing anymore, though it was a few years before I actually started reading them seriously myself.
>>
>>81632617

So does she regret that move now?

>"Comics were a mistake" - Anonymous' mom
>>
My dad read comics so thy were always there in some form. He used to read them to me on his lap when I was a baby. I remember when.the article about Superman's death was in the newspaper. My grandfather saved me the clipping. To this day I think back on Superman's death fondly. My dad reading them with me, gong to the comic shop on the weekend.

You gave me feels Op, now Im thinking about my grandpa.
>>
>>81632908
Nah. I studied hard and got into med school. Gonna finish college on december.
>>
>>81632943
>To this day I think back on Superman's death fondly

Lex?
>>
I've been reading comics since I could read. Born in '95, and my Dad was a collector back in the day, so I distinctly remember going through his old Levitz/Giffen Legion of Super-Heroes, classic Justice League, Crisis on Infinite Earths and Lee/Buscema Silver Surfer. Couldn't tell you what exactly came first.

I started following ongoing books on my own around 2003 I want to say? I distinctly remember Aquaman's Sub Diego arc and Busiek's Conan being some of my first titles, and I was also reading Avengers, starting in that weird point between Geoff Johns run and Bendis'. Like right as soon as I started following comics Disassembled and Identity Crisis hit, and I didn't know better. Hey, I at least got Rusch's Firestorm and Katehunter out of it.

Dropped out before Civil War/after Infinite Crisis. Came back for a quick spell during Brightest Day, and then got genuinely back into the swing of things with New 52 Swamp Thing/Animal Man's Rotworld hype (ouch) and Throne of Atlantis. Kept pulling on through the start of DCYou (I dropped floppies due to the half-page ads), but by then my pull was a massive monster grabbing from Valiant, Dark Horse, Dynamite, Oni, Marvel and DC.

Now I just read trades and collected editions because I've learned from my mistakes.
>>
File: 1456324856571.jpg (662 KB, 912x1199) Image search: [Google]
1456324856571.jpg
662 KB, 912x1199
>1999
>Various Old school Batman and Spiderman comics
>my cousin
I remember when he pulled a huge box from his closet and it was filled to the top with comics old and new in plastic casing.

Thanks for taking me back OP
>>
>1997
>JLA #3
>Superman adventures
I just used to read random issues as a kid
>>
My first comic ever?

I can't remember the year, but apparently, Marvel had been re-printing Spider-Man's debut in Amazing Fantasy and giving them to grocery stores. This must have been early 00s. My mom got me a copy of that.

I got a cool encyclopedia on Spider-Man, too. It was related to the comics, but not much in terms of the actual comic paneling or anything like that.

I want to say that I didn't pick up another comic until high school, around 2010/11, when I took a class on graphic novels. Then, I read classics like Maus, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Epileptic, and this weird fucking manga book whose name I can't remember.

Still, I wasn't too interested in comics. I started watching Arrow because I was already interested in being "in the know" with TV and a girl I had a crush on was interested in it. This was in the middle of Season 3 -- I watched in on netflix/torrents, so I got the brunt of S3's awfulness pretty quickly. Anyway, after Season 2, I started watching Arrow and Flash at the same time, in their "intended" order (even though it only really matter for crossovers).

It was The Flash, more than anything, that made me decide to give floppies (and ongoings in general) a read.
>>
>>81630325
>that Batfamily
It'll never be that good again
>>
Venom: Lethal Protector back in like 1993 or 1994. I knew him from the Spider-Man cartoon and thought he looked cool.
>>
>>81630325
>1983
>zagor
>pretty pictures
>>
>>81630325
>2006
>TDKR
>CIIE

I remember downloading a torrent called the road to infinite crisis or something and it was fucking full of comics. Read the shit out of them
>>
Early 90's
i started reading 2000AD
Judge Dredd had me hooked from day one.
Judgement Day was the first main story i read and i was in love

before that i'd read loads of english comics. Like Dandy, beano, victor, escape, whizzer etc blah blah
>>
>1988

>First comic was either Batman or Spider-Man.
I remember an early favorite being a Captain America issue that I flipped through so many times it literally fell apart. I also remember my first trade being DKR, my dad had picked it up and subsequently read it to me like a bedtime story...I didn't realize it at the time but he was sanatizing the story significantly for me. I don't think he had any clue that it would be so graphic when he bought it, I found it again years later and was shocked.

>What got me into comics?
My parents divorced when I was 6, at first my dad only got to see me on the weekends and he later admitted that he was terrified that we would drift apart. He would always try to plan fun activities to keep me motivated to keep coming back on the weekends. There was a pancake house near his new place and we'd go there every Sunday morning. There was a comic shop right next door and I guess I must have asked to check it out. My dad would get me one or two issues each trip and eventually I was hooked.

By the time I was 12 my Mom would take me to a store near my school on Wednesday for new books and my Dad would take me to the other store on the weekends for trades or back issues.
>>
Started around 2011, when I finished high school. The very first thing I tried was Civil War, because of Marvel vs Capcom 3 and because it felt "important" and I figured if there were more characters on the story, I would get to know the universe better.
It almost killed my interest in capes forever, but then DC Universe Online came out and I got curious once again. Then the New 52 happened and here I am.
The first comic I read for real was Hellblazer, though.
>>

Batman: Hush

BTAS and the X-Men animated series got me interested. Admittedly, I started with manga before reading western comics.
>>
>>81632198

I still read a few comics and like to keep up with the industry and what's going on in the milieus. Poking around threads here and there help keep up with general trends and a way to hear about interesting new books.

And reading you whippersnappers keeps me young.
>>
File: STH38.jpg (134 KB, 495x750) Image search: [Google]
STH38.jpg
134 KB, 495x750
Pic related was my very first comic
>>
File: 1445607220661.png (14 KB, 300x196) Image search: [Google]
1445607220661.png
14 KB, 300x196
2012 I think, comics dont exist in my country.

It was Cable and Deadpool, I dont remember why I decided to read deadpool, but I think it was because of some of the panels he was.
>>
>>81630325
>2009
>Red Robin #1
>Big fan of the cartoons and characters. Saw it was a #1. Tim's costume and the cover looked dank as fuck to me.

The fact that I jumped into a series that followed a "universe shaking" event and still understood it has always made me mad at reboots and newbie pandering. It's easy enough to just jump into a story. People do it all the time with those shitty American NCIS-type programs we all half-follow.
>>
Sonic the Hedghog #1, before then I had a few comics here and there, but I started to work my ass off as a wee little kid to earn the money to buy comics each week. Then I discovered how fucking awesome Spider-Man was, and was lucky enough to start reading Spidey during Maximum Carnage.
>>
File: wizard97.jpg (46 KB, 315x457) Image search: [Google]
wizard97.jpg
46 KB, 315x457
>>81630325
>What year did you start reading comics
2002 I believe

>what was your first comic
You mean first bought or first read? Bought is DKR. Read is... probably some piece of trash, I don't even remember.

>and what got you interested?
I saw a picture of the Bondage Batgirl (Cassandra) and she looked hot. That's really it.
>>
>2014
>Ms Marvel
>capefilm
>>
>>81621172
My first start was in 2011-2012 because of the UTRH movie
I read nu52 TT and RHatO
Got mad when the art drasticlly changed in RHatO around issue 20 and quit
Also had been watching arrow and when the flash show came out it drove me to dive all in to DC
I've read almost all of nu52, all of Suicide squad save Raise The Flag, Final Crisis, Blackest Night, Hush, Year 100, anything involving red hood, ASS, ASBAR, watchmen, Batman Earth one, DoS, and am starting on stormwatch, authority, and middy.

Favorite heroes are Sinestro, Middy, Wally or Barry, Grayson, and am getting more into Superman.

Recommend me more to eead
>>
File: nightwing.jpg (117 KB, 1107x722) Image search: [Google]
nightwing.jpg
117 KB, 1107x722
>>81630325
>2009
>Nightwing's run from like the '90s
>What got me interested was learning about how Nightwing grew up from Robin and shit
>>
>>81636628
I think Hitman might be right up your alley.
>>
>>81630325
>2011
>Dial H
>Arkham Asylum on PS3
>>
>2009
>Blackest Night (had read random comics before but never really got into comics)
>wanted to fugg a comic nerd girl

Didn't fuck her because after getting into comics I realised she had plebian taste and into shit tier comics and not wife material.
>>
>>81630325
>1993
>Green Lantern
I was six years old and got some comics at a shop, and while I had no idea what was going on the brutal smack-down fight between Hal Jordon and Mongul near the end of the Reign of the Supermen storyline hooked me.

That fight still impresses me later now that I know how rare hardcore fights that last nearly an entire issue are.
>>
>>81630325
gl rebirth
A DC encyclopedia that talked about all the lore and stories

i jumped in just in time to prefer Wally West
>>
>>81637086
>only fucking girls that you want to make your wife

You fucked up dude if she was cute at all. Comic book girls are hard to find. What really happened here was she didnt want to fuck you. Dont lie.
>>
>>81630826
>The art did make me interested enough to check out other comics like Iron Fist & Deadly Hands of Kung-fu.

Good shit to grow up on man.
>>
Archie Sonic
Spider-Man TAS, the movies, games etc.
I got over my autism and dropped Sonic years ago, now I read Ms. Marvel, Vision and I'll be picking up Action Comics when rebirth happens.
>>
>>81637118
>i jumped in just in time to prefer Wally West
You poor bastard
>>
>>81636881
I'm >>81637087.
Same thing happened with me after I started reading, and my older stepbrother had pretty much all of the old New Teen Titans comics so I got to watch Dick grow up at the same time I did.
>>
>>81630325
>Sometime in the early 2000's, elementary school.
>Ultimate Spider-Man
>90's Spider-Man cartoon
>>
I know this is off-topic but, is Marvel's Captain Marvell (Marv-El) a copy of DC's Superman (Kal-El)?
>>
>>81637010
Thanks I'll check it out
>>
>1997
>a really old book from 1984 that collected various DC stories from the past couple of years
>learning how to read

It was all pre-crisis stuff though, and a few of the stories were from this non-canonical mini series.
>>
>>81630325
I started reading comics regularly last year, though I read my first book much earlier (Amazing Fantasy #15). What got me interested for realsies was My War Gone By.
>>
>>81630325
1988 probably. During the fall of the mutants storyline when i started reading x-men and x-factor.
>>
My first comic was Scott Pilgrim in like 2010. I didn't really get into comics until I read a Hellboy story time here in 2013.
>>
>2016
>Ms. Marvel

I just wanted to know why everyone was waifuing a minority legacy character, since they usually tend to be hated. I'm mostly here for cartoons.
>>
The Amazing Spider-Man #1 "OVERSIZED!"
The 90s cartoon series with best rogues in Kraven and Smythe wth the Spider-Hunters. Spectacular was great too. Gotta rewatch it. And of course movies had some say in keeping it all relevant in my mind

Im ready for the hate
>>
>2002
>The Thing: Freakshow
>Friend who had comics

I liked to draw comics, but I didn't start reading them for a long time. A friend in my class brought over I think the second issue of Freakshow to read during recess and he let me read it. I wanted to start collecting Spider-Man and Batman comics, but my family was poor and I was poor. We had to pool our money together for that kind of shit and manga was really big at the time so my whole family was into that and so we collected manga. I ended up getting into that for a while. Library also had a lot of manga so that didn't help. But they did have Hellboy and I ended up reading a lot of that. Found out about piracy and eventually got back into the big 2. I just collect Lobo now, basically.
>>
File: 1680179-superman__1987__181a.jpg (53 KB, 411x640) Image search: [Google]
1680179-superman__1987__181a.jpg
53 KB, 411x640
The first comic I ever read as a kid. I grew up on all the cartoons but didn't get into comics until later because no comic book stores in my area
>>
>>81630325
1990, and it involved Spider-Man.
My dad worked as security at a youth detention center and since comic books were contraband he'd bring the ones that were to be thrown out home to me. They be a little damaged, usually missing covers, but it's how I got started.
The nostalgia factor might be why Spider-Man is one of my favorite franchises even though the quality of it has be extremely inconsistent in the last decade.
>>
>>81630325
I used to read random comics back in elementary school as well as highschool but I never followed current runs, just notable stories. I started with mostly batman and DC stuff
>killing joke
>long Halloween
>Dark knight returns
>batman year one
>both batman and superman earth 1
>Some of Morrisons batman run
>peace on earth
>tower of babel
>Dan Slotts Spiderman
I started following issues as they came out at around the new 52 but I've fallen behind. I enjoy reading the story all at once, monthly releases just make me forget what happened before.
>>
>>81637914
People did hate it when it was announced. Constant shitposting every day. But once people began reading they realized the writer gave a shit about the character and it was an honest legacy character with her own story and style and not just a cash in on a well known name with nothing else to it.

Pretty much in all ways the exact opposite of Whor.
>>
>>81630325
I started in ~2007.

I didn't buy monthlies back then, only trades. Started with Watchmen and Batman: Year One. Then read mostly Batman stuff, the sorts of "classics" you see on every "best of" list (TLH, The Cult, Shaman, etc.)

I grew up loving Batman from television and movies, even before I read comics. I loved the '90s films and the reruns on the West show, but the real Batman for me was always BTAS. The rest of the DCAU was awesome, too.

When Batman Begins came out, I realized that I had finally seen a live-action Batman that felt as true to me as the BTAS cartoon. I still loved the Burton stuff I grew up with, but Begins really blew that out of the water for me in terms of the authenticity of the character and how immersive the film was.
>>
>>81637914
She has a good book and is a good character, especially when compared to others
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.