[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Marvel Heroes are more relatable What do people mean by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5
>Marvel Heroes are more relatable

What do people mean by this? DC comics regularly have characters dealing with personal issues and relationships. In fact most DC characters tend to have a bigger cast of supporting non-capes than Marvel ones, who are more connected to other capes.

Can somebody explain to me this meme?
>>
Marvel changes their characters gender, race, and/or sexual preference every few months. Tumbr users who identify with a different gender/animal/planet/vehicle/plant every morning find it easier to relate to.
>>
>>81599475

Thing is, what was true in the 30s isn't always true today.
>>
>>81599758
Its almost like >>81599781 was parodying you
>>
>>81599781
such as?

>>81599758
Is that it?
>>
>>81599898
he wasn't wrong. That's literally how marvelcucks think
>>
>>81599475
Marvel heroes are percieved as more of "guys with superpowers" whereas DC heroes are percieved as larger than life mythic archetypes.

That's not 100% true on either side, but that's the perception.
>>
>>81599475
It stems from the way the big time dc heroes are presented as opposed to the more well known marvel ones.
Beings like the flash, superman, wonder woman, aquaman. Theyre pretty much god like, almost an earthly pantheon and incredibly archetypal. Superman is this perfect moral being with nigh invincibility and can essentially do anything. Batman is so driven he essentially defies human possibility despite being a regular human guy (and is kinda deranged), Flash can outrun death. Aquaman is an aquatic king. Wonder woman a mythical amazon. They all live in these made up places and honestly seem like these greater beings who just pretend at being regular people.

Spider-man is a kid from brooklyn who constantly has problems making ends meet and always has lady problems and his boss hates him.

It isn't so much a logical thing it's just how the general view of the different universes has become. I think the simplest way ive heard it put. DC heroes are like gods playing at being men. Marvel heroes are just guys playing at being heroes.

It is a good and bad assumption (usually stemming from people who don't know the characters in question closely). Because due to it DC is viewed as this legendary almost mythical dynasty which Marvel can't quite touch in that respect. and Marvel always feels a little more grounded and relateable to the everyman.

Personally i'm okay with the whole thing because I dig the ways in which the two are set apart as well as the ways in which they are similar. However I could imagine fans of one in particular not wanting to accept any positive in favor of 'the other' company because how dare people not think were da best in every category.
>>
>>81599967
But Namor is an aquatic king too. Wolverine is an immortal monsterman who is is also a government superweapon. Thor is a magical Norseman. Reed Richards is part of a multiversal council of Reed Richardses that control the multiverse.

Meanwhile Superman is a kid from Kansas who goes to the big city and calls his mom every night and Batman is a weepy kid whose can't get over the grief of losing his parents.

>It is a good and bad assumption (usually stemming from people who don't know the characters in question closely).
Yeah, that's probably it. A lot of people who don't read DC assume DC is just about icons
>>
>>81600289
>But Namor is an aquatic king too.

Namor isn't popular.

Wolverine is an immortal monsterman who is is also a government superweapon.

Who was born a mortal kid and has his identity stripped away from him.

>Thor is a magical Norseman.

Not that popular, commonly cited as the least accessible of the Marvel heroes.

>Reed Richards is part of a multiversal council of Reed Richardses that control the multiverse.

Also not very popular.

>Meanwhile Superman is a kid from Kansas who goes to the big city and calls his mom every night and Batman is a weepy kid whose can't get over the grief of losing his parents.

Superman in po culture has been depicted as cold and distant narcissist and Batman is more popular than ever.
>>
It was true back in the 60's, but not today. Marvel pioneered having superheroes act like real people, and the image stuck.
>>
because Spider-man struggles to make rent and Batman struggles with ???
>>
File: lois-clark-03.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lois-clark-03.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>81600443
>Superman in po culture has been depicted as cold and distant narcissist

uh
>>
>>81600491
starting to sound a little less like "Marvel Heroes are more relatable" and more like "spiderman is relatable"
>>
>>81600289
>A lot of people who don't read DC assume DC is just about icons
Not just icons but borderline gods. I mean thor is a god but lets put it this way.
Biggest team for DC, JLA. Biggest team for Marvel, The avengers. Who wins a fight you think between the two?
I read marvel comics my whole life and I wouldnt hesitate a second to admit the JLA would fucking cream them. Hell Superman or the Flash on their own could probably take down the entire team if not most of them. Thor the actual god included.

When the people you put on the forefront of your universe are in that league that is the perception it creates. They have secret identities people can relate to but once those costumes come on theyre essentially a pantheon. If the main frontlining DC heroes were blue beetle, booster gold, nightwing, black canary atom and vixen the general perception would probably be a bit different.
>>
>>81600443
This, and the other guy was highlighting the most otherworldly aspects of the Marvel heroes while hyping the realistic aspects of the DC heroes.

That said, Reed is pretty relatable as the overworking overachiever who has to balance his career and his personal/family life. Anyone who works hard and comes home and barely spends time with their familiy/wife can relate to him on that level.
>>
>>81600510
>uh

Whoa there grandpa, this isn't a pre 9/11 world.

Superman has to kill and be pissy when he isn't universally loved.
>>
>>81600604

Spoiler that's what people mean with the saying because Spidey is the face of the company. But look at Iron Man vs Batman. Tony's a dick who has to deal with alcoholism and Bruce ???
>>
>>81600443
Iron Man is an impossibly brilliant multibillionaire that on multiple occasions has come near ruling the world

The Hulk is a guy who is literally impossible to beat
>>
>>81600694
Bruce has rage/daddy issues.
>>
>>81600694
Bruce has estranged every one of his "sons", including his actual son
>>
>>81600661

What made the FF novel in the 1960s has slowly eroded to make them quaint and geriatric.
>>
>>81600694
dead parents are not a bad thing now?

>who has to deal with alcoholism
can't have that anymore. Neo-Tony is a cool guy that everyone likes
>>
>>81599475
I have heard it put like this:

Marvel Comics are about normal people who struggle to be extraordinary.

DC Comics are about extraordinary people who struggle to be ordinary.

Batman is a crime fighting machine who struggles to be Bruce Wayne. Iron man is an alcoholic who struggles to keep his tech in safe hands and be Iron Man.

You can make arguments to break either of these statements, but you get the jist.
>>
>>81600728
>>81600743

Pretty much this. Bruce's problem is that he became autistically obsessed with one thing and hurt everyone else around him, including himself.
>>
>>81600695
>Iron Man is an impossibly brilliant multibillionaire that on multiple occasions has come near ruling the world

Tony Stark was an asshole weapons dealer with little empathy, until he almost died in cave by one of his own weapons, and decided to make a positive change in the world. That gets women wet.

Also, not a big comic seller.

>The Hulk is a guy who is literally impossible to beat

And Bruce Banner is a skinny guy cursed to wander the earth, trying to control the raging spirit dwelling within him.
>>
>>81600804
This kinda falls apart in the face of Superman, though.
>>
>>81600695
Iron man struggles with arrogance, alcoholism, and his own inability to realize he is capable of making a mistake. Fuck he spent a good deal of time with a debilitating heart condition due to shrapnel he got blasted into his chest. The idea being a brilliant but vulnerable man encased in armor to keep himself kicking and fighting.

Banner is the epitome of the nuclear age gone bad. He's a nerdy guy with boatloads of psychological trauma and repressed anger that manifests as a gamma irradiated rage monster. I mean his biggest arc involves undergoing psychotherapy to deal with his problems.

The two of them are known more for their flaws in many ways than their strengths.
>>
>>81600695
Tony is a more realistic billionaire than Bruce. He's a former arms-dealer trying to use his wealth for good, even though some of his decisions are ill advised. That's actually the exact 'struggle' of a real life billionaire. Most of them actually mean well, but they have so much power that when they help people they can also hurt others.

It's relatable if you happen to be a high-tier millionaire or multi-billionaire.
>>
>>81600753
>Neo-Tony is a cool guy that everyone likes
what?
everyone likes?
do you read many comics with iron man in them? I mean his own ongoings are the only time hes not an unrepetant prick.
>>
>>81599475
Marvel has groups and communities of supers who share something in common.
Most of them aren't even very powerful and all but the mightiest have sharp limitations.
And even those almost absolute powers have weaknesses and blind spots that are easily exploited.
Marvel heroes are essentially at the fundamental level people with powers.
In the Marvel universe, Frank Castle -a guy with a gun- is a credible threat.

The Justice League as DC's face consists of personified absolutes that have ridiculous scales of power.
Essentially, DC flanderised their characters to the point of losing all humanity and becoming the gods of their respective discipline.
>>
>>81601052
>DC flanderised their characters to the point of losing all humanity
Sure, if you don't read comics
>>
>>81601052
How many DC characters do you actually know, Marveldrone?
>>
>>81601131
Really?
Take a good look at what Batman is and does now.
He used to be a detective with a tragic backtory. Until he became the bat god.
God of planning and mourning your parents.
>>
>>81600510
I think I'm going to rewatch this sometime soon
>>
>>81601362
its good
>>
I'm not a huge Marvel reader unlike DC, but i don't think there's any significant difference except that a lot of things in our world is in Marvels. Like Spiderman and many Marvel heroes originate from New York. And organizations like the Illuminati.

Look at DC for their big heroes, Gotham City, Central City, Metropolis, Coast City etc.
>>
>>81601224
And also a terrible father who just "died" fighting the Joker
>>
>>81599475
Marvel has a better Street level roster which o would also assume is more relatable to a reader
>>
Marvel characters have base problems. "I drink too much," "girls don't like me," "I need money." (Although that's mostly Spiderman; you don't see Captain America or Thor with those problems.)

DC characters' problems deal with things like loss, identity, and belonging. The characters are used to tell stories about ideas.
>>
>>81601224
waow he became God of knowledge after 70 years his creation purely for Darkseid War.
>>
>>81599475
I think the reason it is still true is because Marvel heroes seem to fuck up a lot more. So many of the solo books (at least early 2000s) are the heroes causing their own problems. They are constantly stuggling to clean up their own mistakes. Stark and Pym are good examples of tech going bad but Spidey is the best example, so many of the people he tries to help end up in terrible accidents.
>>
marvel characters are flawed human beings trying to pretend to be perfect heroes

dc characters are perfect gods trying to pretend to be everyday joes

strip the hero away from marvel characters and you're left with

an alcoholic
teen angst
dysfunctional family
anger issues
discriminated minorities
blind man

while dc heroes occupy these kind of pseudo-totems like a sun god, perfect woman, and other ideas like justice, truth, order, will, hope
>>
>>81599475
>>81599967
>>81600611
In this thread /co/ confuses "relatable" (a completely arbitrary and undefinable quality) with "weak with character flaws", not realizing that neither company has a monopoly on either of those things.

>>81600443
>cold and distant narcissist
Are you high? I'm seriously asking.

>>81600845
>In the face of Superman
Superman is the very definition of someone born extraordinary who wants to just be a normal person, anon.
>>
>>81601224
Yeah, because that kinda stupid shit never happened in Marvel comics.

This might have been true when Marvel just came out, and up until the early 80s, but they're both pretty much the same nowadays. It just depends on who's writing what and trends.
>>
Think about the stories that you recommend for DC and for Marvel.

For DC you have all these epics where the characters embody concepts and are larger-than-life like All-Star Superman. For Marvel you mainly have story-based or character-based stories like Born Again.
>>
>>81601497
Captain America still is a guy with a shield.
>>
File: Fantastic Four 281.jpg (627 KB, 1200x1845) Image search: [Google]
Fantastic Four 281.jpg
627 KB, 1200x1845
They mean the classic Marvel characters before movies were more relatable. If you look at Spider-Man and Fantastic Four and compare them to DC titles released around the same time they are more relatable. Now its a pretty meaningless phrase.
>>
>>81601617
Who is the moral compass for the entire universe
>>
It's cause Marvel stories are for children who need to see something concrete like someone who doesn't have money or something

while DC stories require you to actually look into the story and deconstruct the real meaning of the narrative
>>
>>81601609
>he doesn't recommend Up Up and Away!
How to spot a pleb
>>
>>81601663
Superman is literally the moral compass of the entire universe though. An entity called the Superman Thought Robot was crucial to a story spanning through every universe in DC. What does that tell you about the importance of the character in that universe?
>>
>>81601729
So a regular guy being the absolute moral center is better than someone who can see the good in everyone?
>>
>>81601771
>better
why are you using this word?
>>
>>81601663
Not really. People ignore him all the time. He is always sensible and has a point, but he is rarely not challenged in that regard.
All he really is is a moralising idealist and competent leader. But other people are having valid positions around him, too.
>>
>>81601771
Not either of those anons, but it means American ideals are what God in both Marvel and DC defines as the right way to be.
>>
>>81601593
Don't forget peak humans.
>>
>>81600611
Fair enough, although I don't think DC actually has reality-warping characters, like Scarlet Witch or the Richard's kid.
>>
>>81601488
so Marvel is basically for people with first-world problems
>>
File: 18m42s8nhskn7png.png (410 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
18m42s8nhskn7png.png
410 KB, 400x449
>>81601992
Maybe one or two perhaps?
Dunno if Speed Force characters should count either with their time travel shenanigans.
>>
>>81602595
Those are universal human problems.
Drugs/addiction, need for resources and procreation are core questions since the dawn of the species.
>>
>>81602595
I don't think anyone with real problems reads comics at all
>>
>>81601992
So you havent read DC.

Dr Manhattan
Captain Atom
Timothy Hunter
>>
>>81599475
Hang on! let me google that for you!
>>
>>81602959
None of whom are in the main universe

Except maybe Timothy, I don't know what's going on with him
>>
>>81602959
when was the last time Captain Atom did something reality-warping
>>
>>81603118
He's probably talking about the Pax Americana version from Final Crisis and Multiversity
>>
>>81599475
>>Marvel Heroes are more relatable
The only people that actually say this are Marvelfags and normies that claim they're huuuuuuuge comicbook nerds but only love Marvel stuff.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.