[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zack Snyder Explains SUPERMAN's Reluctance To Utilize Super
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 17
File: sups.png (474 KB, 620x358) Image search: [Google]
sups.png
474 KB, 620x358
> In discussing a deleted scene with IGN, Zack Snyder explains why that's the case. "I think all the way – to me, from Metropolis to Smallville is probably just on the edge of his range of hearing," said Snyder while addressing the issue of why Superman didn't react when Martha Kent (Diane Lane) was first kidnapped. "Also the clutter of the city makes it difficult as well."

>"We had a scene that we cut from the movie where he tries to look for her when he finds out that Lex has got her. It was a slightly dark scene that we cut out because it sort of represented this dark side. Because when he was looking for his mom he heard all the cries of all the potential crimes going on in the city, you know when you look."

> "I kind of like the idea that he’s taught himself not to look because if he looks it’s just never-ending, right? You have to know when, as Superman, when to intervene and when not to. Or not when not to, you can’t be everywhere at once, literally you can’t be everywhere at once, so he has to be really selective in a weird way about where he chooses to interfere."
>>
File: 1.gif (2 MB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
2 MB, 500x278
>Gal Gadot On The Standalone WONDER WOMAN Movie - "It Has Moments Of Humor, But It's Pretty Dark"

>"In Batman v Superman, you get a glimpse of who she is but not where she comes from, " said Gadot. She continued, "In Wonder Woman, this would be the first time we ever tell the coming-of-age story of how Diana becomes Wonder Woman. It's very interesting. It has moments of humor, but it's pretty dark."

"We all saw before the beautiful coming of age of Batman, Spider-Man, Superman. We don't know anything about Wonder Woman." Gadot went on to add that this Wonder Woman is a 100-years younger and much more "naive".
>>
>>81590209

See, that's cool and all but unless he's trained himself to specifically super-hear certain sounds (like his name being shouted or Lois's voice) that kind of leaves a big hole in how he was able to save Lois when she got pushed off Lexcorp
>>
>>81590274
His super smelling caught her fishy-smelling pussy from kilometers away.
>>
>>81590209
>"We had a scene that we cut from the movie where he tries to look for her when he finds out that Lex has got her. It was a slightly dark scene that we cut out because it sort of represented this dark side. Because when he was looking for his mom he heard all the cries of all the potential crimes going on in the city, you know when you look."

That's kinda understandable and cool

Shame it's not in the damn movie so it doesn't redeem shit
But wait, how come he could keep track of Lois then?
>>
File: 14513904901870.gif (1 MB, 395x512) Image search: [Google]
14513904901870.gif
1 MB, 395x512
>>81590293
>>
>>81590209
This is a lousy fucking excuse since he could keep track of Lois easily enough.
Snyder should just admit that all the cut scenes and shit left plot holes in the film.

Also he should quit fucking apologizing for it and trying to find ways to placate fans, it makes him look more like a dumbass each time,
>>
>>81590209
>Superman doesn't use his super hearing when he needs it because he doesn't want to hear people's cries for help

God fucking dammit.
>>
"LOL superman just doesnt want to save people guys dont say I dont understand his character"
>>
>>81590434
Imagine hearing people ask help every five minutes. Where do you draw the line? How do you draw the line? Do you just go after every plea? How do you decide what plea needs the most help?
>>
File: Zack The Hack JUST.jpg (136 KB, 585x476) Image search: [Google]
Zack The Hack JUST.jpg
136 KB, 585x476
ZACK THE HACK
A
C
K

T
H
E

H
A
C
K
>>
File: SupermanBatmanann03038.jpg (2 MB, 2564x2052) Image search: [Google]
SupermanBatmanann03038.jpg
2 MB, 2564x2052
>>81590434

That's canon for post-Crisis and New52 Superman, though.

Both of them had to learn how NOT to hear every disaster on a worldwide basis, because there's no way they could stop them all.

Hell post-Crisis Superman and Batman used that knowledge to bully post-Crisis Superbatman into killing himself.
>>
>>81590293

Impossible, he'd be smelling every rank-ass vag in across the delaware
>>
>>81590209
This bugs the fuck out of me because he could've come up with "Luthor's genius + Kryptonian tech" or something to explain it while making the film, but every time he tries to justify something in his film he makes it sound stupider than it already is. Like the manslaughter/murder comparison.
>>
>>81590546
>>81590676
But this is a specific instance where he needed to use his hearing for a explicit purpose, but didn't because he was worried about hearing cries for help. I'm not saying he should constantly be listening to everyone
>>
>>81590676
But he can't use his super hearing within the immediate area?
>>
>>81590434

That's really realistic of superman. Even if his presence cut the crime rate by 90% in metropolis, he would hear the must fucked up shit at any given moment. And the fucked part would be that so many would happen at the same time he wouldn't be able to save them all.

I mean a man has a heart attack while driving a car, at the same time a school girl is getting raped, at the same time someone is holding someone at gun point.

There is a reason so many ER doctors, firemen, and policemen turn to alcohol or depression, imagine trying to be one all at once only you know everything that is going on.
>>
>>81590771

He'd be hearing Lexcorp

And you know how all these tech companies are basically just raunchy, filthy sex 24/7
>>
If flash and superman worked in tandem couldn't they save them all?
>>
>>81590744
Seriously, I don't know if Snyder is an idiot or just SOUNDS like one.
The best damage control he could ever do is shutting his goddamn mouth for once because he apparently does this after ALL of his films.
>>
>>81590787
>I mean a man has a heart attack while driving a car, at the same time a school girl is getting raped, at the same time someone is holding someone at gun point.

Oh, that one's simple.

>gunpoint robbery
Orbital heat vision, no more gun

>attempted rape
Orbital heat vision, no more rapist dick

>man having a heart attack
ORBITAL EMERGENCY TRIPLE BYPASS USING HEAT VISION

Heat vision, there's no problem that it doesn't solve
>>
File: 1460108474791.jpg (3 MB, 1746x4245) Image search: [Google]
1460108474791.jpg
3 MB, 1746x4245
>>81590209
>>
>>81590230

Can't wait to see this scene in HD
>>
Seems like a good scene that would have helped the movie, and further fleshed out the theme of "when should Superman intervene"

Have a feeling the Director's Cut will be way better than what we got in theaters, so hopefully this scene is in it too
>>
>>81590847
And now 28 kids got bombed by terroists

Bravo
>>
>>81590919
>implying

Orbital heat vision vasectomies for everyone in the world

No more kids

Boom, problem solved forever
>>
Wasn't it in the last movie that established Clark gets "everything" from his senses? I've always loved that about Superman, in that he hears and sees pretty much everything that happens on Earth but it's such a cacophony he has to actively ignore most of it lest he go insane.

The thing most casuals forget is that Superman is still just a MAN, who isn't perfect or godly, just a guy with abilities that tries to do his best to help people with them.
>>
File: 1451838237311.jpg (53 KB, 340x371) Image search: [Google]
1451838237311.jpg
53 KB, 340x371
>>81590744
>Movie spends like 30 minutes to show how important Kal-el is for being the first natural born in ages yadda yadda free will yadda yadda no programmed destiny
>"His genes made him wear silly Kryptonian-like capes!"

After something like that i don't know how anyone could unironically speak of him as a misunderstood genius
>>
>>81590768
He wouldn't be able to live with the fact that he ignored everybody in need because he only cared about searching for his mother.
>>
>>81590986

It's some how both better AND worse than Grant Morrison claiming Superman is only good because of "the Kryptonian Moral Imprint" in his genes
>>
>>81590900
Knowing Snyder, the r rated cut will solve some problems and introduce more.
>>
File: 354678982367.png (23 KB, 80x109) Image search: [Google]
354678982367.png
23 KB, 80x109
>>81590230
I keep reading this in Gadot's unbearable accent
>>
>>81590898
>tfw the only difference between this and the r rated version is that shes going commando in the latter.
>>
>>81591027
>Grant Morrison claiming Superman is only good because of "the Kryptonian Moral Imprint" in his genes
What is this from? I keep seeing it mentioned but i can't remember it
>>
>>81591053
Watchmen DC didn't really introduce new issues. It improved the movie A LOT
>>
>>81590434
Put yourself in those boots, man. Look at crime rates and murders on a daily basis in somewhere like New York and see if you could handle that everyday.
>>
>>81591095
Wouldn't he have superpowers to handle that too?
>>
>>81590847
I think the scene in BvS where he was saving people while tv personalities were talking about him explains a lot about how people feel about Superman. That's the excuse they use if he can help why doesn't he always, when he makes mistakes why did he he's suppose to be perfect. But he's just one man overburdened with everyone's troubles.
>>
>>81590847
why don't you put the whole world inside your heat vision pupils?
>>
>>81591089
random thought

dr manhattan bomb > squid monster

that is a decision i will defend.

fuck psychic aliens
>>
>>81591086

Action Comics.
>>
>>81590209

>important scene that explains a plothole was cut while irrelevant dream sequences were kept

You fucking hack, your dumb pandering with easter eggs ruined the movie
>>
>>81590883
How a single person can get all of this is beyond me. This is way too clever for a movie. Are these just purely coincidental? Because it does makes sense.
>>
>>81591327
Clearly that anon needs to be hired by Snyder as an assistant
>>
>>81591290
I like the squid monster as an homage to the most silly eras of comics. I also like how it required that absurdity to stop the human's absurdity, it kinda shows we're prone to believe in everything when we're scared

I don't mind the Manhattan version, but that's not perfect either, he wasn't an "alien" threat as much as the actual alien invasion would be, people all around the world would just blame america

But hey, i guess the movie had to be more serious and shit otherwise the audience won't buy it. I mean, they didn't even let Nite Owl look like a decadent Batman-like-idiot, he just was a Batman
>>
>>81591314

>You fucking hack, your dumb pandering with easter eggs ruined the movie

To be fair, i blame WB for this. If you cut out all the JL teasers out there would be time to insert OP's scene.
>>
>>81591314
You dumb fuck

Its probably a scene that would have led to the R rating

Its clear and obvious WB was the reason for the cuts at this point, not Zack
>>
>>81591312
I see, i don't think i've read the whole run consistently so i must've missed that
>>
>>81590209
>Wants to always do the right thing
>But also wants to live a normal life
>Can hear people getting raped and murdered 24/7
Clark's life must be Hell.
>>
The Lois thing can also be explained by the fact that he has more reason to focus his hearing for Lois on a subliminal background level where he can pick up clear signs of danger because she is actively getting into dangerous situations that might need Superman to intervene. Meanwhile his mom is just normal older woman working at a diner at a middle of nowhere town, the most danger she encounters is when she goes into Sears during a fire sale.
>>
>>81591327

>Are these just purely coincidental? Because it does makes sense.

They aren't and i doubt Snyder came up with any of them. CHRIS TERRIO was the fucking screenwriter although /co/ likes to ignore this because they didn't liked the movie and have Terrio as a hero.
>>
>>81591027
>>81591086

I'm fairly sure it's a simple misunderstanding. In Morrison's Action Comics run, Superman threatens Brainiac who then claims Superman won't destroy him because he has the "Kryptonian Moral Imprint".
I think the intention was just that Brainiac believes Superman has the same sort of values as the rest of his people, and refers to it by an odd term because he's an alien computer monster man, but people took it as Kal-El somehow being hardwird to be good and against killing.
>>
>>81591290
>that is a decision i will defend.

IIRC Howard Chaykin thinks that too (it was in an interview in Comic Heroes or something)
>>
>>81591407
the problem is that the analog to silver age comics are bela lugosi monster movies and c-tier low budget sci fi from the 1960s. they might have had a cult following in their own right, but i don't think it's tonally appropriate for the what they were going for.

and to superficially cover over manhattan being an american, they can just say "oh but he bombed NYC too, how loyal can he be?"

i think snyder actually had a decent thing going with his attempts at nihilism and despair in the watchmen movie. he just shouldn't have carried that over to superman.
>>
>>81590209
>when he was looking for his mom he heard all the cries of all the potential crimes going on in the city
That actually sounds kind of cool. I wonder if the director's cut will be any good.
>>
>>81591496

>I'm fairly sure it's a simple misunderstanding.

It isn't, dude. Why people try to defend Morrison about anything? The Kryptonian moral imprint isn't even a bad addition since it is a Silver Age concept.
>>
>>81591527

>I wonder if the director's cut will be any good.

Snyder probably filmed a woman getting buttfucked in the pussy by muggers.
>>
>>81591290
For me, it was just the thought that the alien was just this singular one time thing, that, eventually, you know it never comes back, there is never proof of there being any more like it....like at what point does the world just say "well i guess that shit aint happening again clearly"

The Dr. manhattan idea...works because they know he exists, has exists, and continues to exist. He will always be a lingering threat.

So unless Im just mis-remembering a detail in the original comic (been a while since I read it) I think logically the movie ending is a better fit
>>
>>81591527

>That actually sounds kind of cool. I wonder if the director's cut will be any good.

My guess? The JL teasers. This is what happens in the theatrical release:

>Lex throws Lois down and Superman catches her
>Lex tells Superman that he has Superman's mom and that if he doesn't kill Batman in 1 hour he'll kill her
>Superman place Lois down and she gets a cab
>Batman sends the e-mail to WW and she sees the JL videos
>Lois shows up at the Daily Planet and asks Perry to fly to Gotham
>Superman shows up to fight Batman

So they probably cut the scene to have time to show WW watching the JL teasers with her potato face.
>>
>>81591650
Side note, something I liked about the film is that Manhattan's ex-girlfriend appears to personally chew him out about (supposedly) giving her cancer.

He gets up, wanting to talk to her, but he's blocked by the reporters and even after he escapes them, he's filled with too much guilt and self-loathing to catch up with her.
>>
>>81590209
It takes a lot of guts to admit this. It's a problem I've always had with any version of Superman. If he were truly committed to saving everyone, he would never be Clark. He would never rest. There has to be a cutoff. Clark is still psychologically human, you can't expect him to be okay with hearing rape and murder around the clock.
>>
>>81591733
that bit where she pulled off her wig was a little tough to watch the first time

and after hearing billy crudup's gentle mastercard commercial voice up until that point, i got spooks when he screamed LEAVE ME ALONE
>>
What makes me sad about this scene being cut out is that it explains more clearly to the audience the fact that Superman throughout the movie had to focus his super-senses during: the Africa bit, the capitol bombing bit and the Gotham bit.

Bunch of people would go: "OOOH, this is why Superman didn't payed attention to the bomb! That explains so much!"

But nooo, we need to see Wonder Woman watching a bunch of dumb videos.
>>
>>81591524
Watchmen wasn't awful because he had a good script (read: the comic) to work off of. He pretty much followed it to the letter. Same with 300 and to a lesser extent Dawn of the Dead and Legend of the Guardians.

Man of Steel, he tried to mash the first two Superman movies together to ill effect.

BvS, he attempted to combine DKR and Death of Superman and utterly failed at it.
>>
>>81591826
>Man of Steel, he tried to mash the first two Superman movies together to ill effect.
So just because the movie had his origin and Zod, that means he was trying to "mash" two pre-existing movies together? You're an idiot. Same goes for DKR and DoS. The movie has very few elements from those stories. It's not like he's actually trying to take the entire content of each movie and wedge them together.

What is wrong with you people? Why are your minds so compartmentalized that you can only try to judge and grasp things based on what you've already seen? Fucking grow up.
>>
>>81591826

>Man of Steel, he tried to mash the first two Superman movies together to ill effect.

In MoS he wasn't the writer, Goyer and Nolan where and the two wanted entirely different things from the movie and it shows.

In BvS he also wasn't the writer, Goyer wrote a script that Affleck didn't liked and then Terrio came to fix the mess in a very little window of time.

We need to stop blaming Snyder for the stories. His problem is more with not directing the actors properly, letting his ideas for cool shots ruin good moments, the stupid heavy use of CGI and letting the visual and music ruin the tone of the movies.
>>
>>81591926
you mean the opposite of compartmentalize

because that word means to separate into compartments and to understand their distinct differences

you illiterate fucking goblin
>>
>>81591955
Superman looking saaaaaaaaaad in the burning senate room was so goddamn stupid and phony-looking.
>>
>>81592016

Snyder is one of the worst actor directors bedises George Lucas.
>>
>>81590293
>pussy smells like fish

Virgin lmao or hambeast
>>
>>81591290
>dr manhattan
A superbeing technically created by America, working with America for years, who the world now thinks attacked and killed millions of people in their own countries. Yeah, that will stop those other countries from wanting to go to war with America.
>>
>>81590883
Does this mean that the movie is actually 2deep4u and not a meme?
>>
>>81592374
I thought we agreed on that on the third day.
>>
It's like Snyder keeps slapping Superman fans in the face with his metaphorical dick every time he opens his mouth.

I want him to run the DCEU forever.
>>
>>81592482
That's the thing, I don't think he does it in offense of comics fans.
I think he does it in defense of himself and just keeps digging his dumbass a bigger hole.

He did the same thing with Sucker Punch too, go on long arguments explaining shit which just created further questions and made people wonder if he really had these explanations before because he didn't bother to put in the movie and yet claims it was simple.

He has yet to learn how to just shut his mouth apparently.
>>
>>81590546
>>81590787
>>81590979
>>81591025

Superman could hone his hearing enough to find specific people and frequencies.

He obviously did it for Lois in this movie so why not his mom?

What's the excuse for him ignoring crimes and sifting through all that for Lois but not his mother?

"He wouldn't be able to live with the fact that he ignored everybody.."

At least if he had ignored them and saved his mother he would have saved SOMEBODY but instead he decides to ignore the other cries for help and stops searching for his mom?

So he was willing to live with helping no one?

What if Batman had killed him? Lex still would've killed Martha and then unleashed Doomsday. Superman should've, and had Snyder done an adequate job with the character, would have sifted through all the cries, saved his mom and bared that burden of knowing he chose his mom over others. Why? Because that's where his humanity comes into play, he'd let his emotions drive him enough to go for her. He is human in spirit.

And yes Superman would have to chose who to save, he cant be everywhere at once ( though he can be in many places with little effort) but he would choose, and that's an interesting angle to play. How does he live with knowing he can't be everywhere at once? How does he cope?
>>
>>81590209
>"G-guys that's not a p-plot hole, t-there's a deleted scene! R-right guys?!"
>>
>>81592553
>At least if he had ignored them and saved his mother he would have saved SOMEBODY but instead he decides to ignore the other cries for help and stops searching for his mom?

He was going to ask Batman for help.
>>
>>81592450
Oh, good then. I really liked it even tho I didn't even get haf of those references.

Well at least I was aware of the Lolita one.
>>
>>81591314
It's not a plothole, in the movie Lex clearly learns about the universe when he's in the ship. That deleted scene is yet another cameo and I believe it would have made people more confused.
>>
>>81592907
you don't need to see any of that, the intended line is between people to not know any of it and just follow the emotional ride, and people knowing all those things to be immersed

yeah yeah yeah i know hack snyder whatever i'm just saying that that's the intent
>>
>>81592553
>At least if he had ignored them and saved his mother he would have saved SOMEBODY but instead he decides to ignore the other cries for help and stops searching for his mom?

Or perhaps he then heard Lois screaming as Lex threw her off the building.

Basically, there's many way to interpret this scene...but no way to do so definitely without knowing how it is edited in the film.

Just wait for the Director's Cut...
>>
>>81590883
Can this guy do a write up like this for Sucker Punch?
>>
>>81592717
yea and Batman had wanted t kill him. So Superman goes to Bats and if Batman had stuck his guns as well and been smart he could've gas Superman with the kryptonite grenade and killed him then and there and thus no one is saved and doomsday is unleashed.

hypothetical obviously but his not searching for his mom and hoping Batman would help was nonsense.
>>
>>81593089
Lex throws Lois off the building first.

He hears Lois ( sifting through whatever cries for help where going on then) and saves her.

Lex reveals his plan and how he has Martha and this is where Snyder says there's a scene of him trying to find his mom but hears other cries and stops searching.

Superman decides its best to ignore everyone as well as stop looking for his mom and then comes up with the brilliant plan to ask Batman for help.

Even though Superman didn't like Batman and was trying to stop him from being Batman as Superman and trying to expose Batman as a thug as Clark Kent.
>>
>>81591085
Oh fuq.
>>
>>81591196
He can't be everywhere at once. Saying he's fucking Superman and should be able to help everyone everytime isn't a reasonable answer. He's Superman, not an actual diety.
>>
>>81593699
heres- i mean not muh!
>>
>>81593561
Did you read that last sentence back to yourself?
>>
>>81590209
Man, Based Snyder does a lot more interviews than you'd think.
>>
>>81593838
It's because he cares.
>>
>>81592717
Considering the last time Superman and Batman talked, Superman stopped him from chasing criminals, and threatened to kill him if he ever showed up again.

I'm not sure why Superman was expecting Batman to listen to anything he has to say.
>>
>>81591976
I lost it at illiterate fucking goblin. oh god, that you for that anon. I fucking love you.
>>
>>81592374
Yes, but memes can be lots of fun.
>>
>>81593929
He was going to explain it was Luthor pulling their strings the whole time
>>
>>81592819
That's what i feel people need to get through their skulls. This is a more contemporary approach to Supes. Besides, it's not like he'll be moopy forever, once the league forms and he has friends he'll be happier, but people are in such a rush for that that catering the demand would cut his progression as a character. They want one-dimensional supes to call boring again.
>>
>>81592966

I wasnt talking about Steppenwolf scene, I was talking about Superman trying to hear for his mother but instead hears other crimes scene that Zack was talking about. Would have been a good scene and not felt like a plothole when Superman just say I need Batman for this shit
>>
>>81590883
TL;DR: "This movie is too subtle!"
Rebuttal: So, why can't Superman be Superman, and Batman be Batman? You don't need to disassemble everything that comes complete out of the box.
>>
>>81593561
I think his actual plan was to get Batman to help him search for his mom so they could cover more ground.
>>
>>81594394
>So, why can't Superman be Superman, and Batman be Batman?

But they are.
>>
>>81594175
that's what pisses me off about it, not that you have to like all the details of what has been depicted so far but the wholesale dismissal of the big picture ideas and frame of reference has made me distrustful. if the movies don't make a point of how they show their changing world i'll see it as a failure, although they're already failing in entering our own world
>>
>>81594175
>Besides, it's not like he'll be moopy forever, once the league forms and he has friends he'll be happier

>Besides, it's not like he'll be moopy forever, once the sequel to MoS comes he'll be a normal hero and he'll be happier
>>
>>81594537
MoS clark was chill bro, nothing grimdark about the movie at all

and no don't fucking bring up the color
>>
>>81591290
The problem with the squid is that it left a body behind. That body will be analized and will be found to be wholly based on earth creatures, and even having human DNA mixed in.
When people know it's man-made it's only a matter of time before someone starts pointing fingers. And that's how wars start.
>>
>>81590274
>>81590342
Go away Zack.
>>
>>81590883
I hope to super christ that was pasta.
>>
>>81590883
>/co/ has worse taste than /tv/
Welp.

>>81594906
>Zack says water is for drinking
>anon dies from drinking sand
>>
File: 1445311207904.jpg (57 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
1445311207904.jpg
57 KB, 567x561
>>81595112
>>
>>81595112

>/co/ has worse taste than /tv/

I remember how it was weird that during the BvS sticky /co/'s discussions were pure hate vitrol and shitposting, specially in said sticky, while in /tv/ you had several well-thought and reasonable threads discussing the pros and cons of the movie and it's deeper themes.

I was really, really weird.
>>
>>81592819

Maybe the trick is that Superman isn't realistic, and was never meant to be?
>>
>>81591290
I don't actually care about the alien plot change but it does demonstrate how impossible it was to properly adapt Watchmen. Sure you could lift the panels from the comic directly to the screen but the whole point of the alien was that it was a hokey classic comic book villain plot. Even if you did it in the film it's not the same as simply being a film puts in it a different context.

The bit where Niteowl sees Rorschach die is a far worse change and what people should complain about as it one of the better scenes from the comic and the film version shits it up with lame, unnecessary melodrama.
>>
>>81593838
>>81593860
He really shouldn't.
I mean, I appreciate his attempts to communicate, but he comes off across sounding like a moron half of the time, especially when critics decry something he did and then he defends it.
LET people say nay about your work because fans of it will defend it without you needing to try as hard as you can to fit your entire foot in your mouth and if the fans don't convince anyone then nothing you could possibly ever say would convince them anyway.

People don't start arguments to hear alternative opinions, they start arguments to hear the voices of people who already agree with them.
I figured this shit out when I was fifteen years old, what's his fucking excuse.
>>
>>81591650
One of the points in the comic is that it was never going to work as a long-term plan. Dr. Manhattan even says as much.
>>
File: yourteam.jpg (10 KB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
yourteam.jpg
10 KB, 256x197
>>81591290
>i didn't get how the squid was the bridge between the critique of the superhero genre and the critique of real life.
>>
>>81595243
we had some nice analysis in the /co/ sticky when we were spoonfeeding the plot to people who didn't understand the movie
>>
File: WW 1x01 (4).webm (1 MB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
WW 1x01 (4).webm
1 MB, 1280x721
>>81590230
She actually thinks the TV show Wonder Woman was American and the origin story was never told
>>
>>81595243
Hell was empty and all the devils were here (?)
>>
>>81594450
I weep for those who would sit through BvS and come out the other side thinking that its portrayal of Superman is anything short of a gross bastardization spitting in the face of 75 years of heroism and inspiration.
>>
>>81594537
>Expecting that a movie in which a jaded, old batman wants to kill superman could somehow be less grim than MoS.

Plus, he obviously has evolved. He's a lot more careful while fighting now. He saves people all over the world instead of saving them in his immediate context. Hell even in the prequel comics it's shown with how much care he now handles dangerous situations. Tbh I'm curious to see what's the next step in the evolution of movie superman.
>>
>>81592549
Snyder just has a hard time expressing himself.

Many people simply misunderstand Sucker Punch and frankly, I don't think Snyder could ever explain that film to those people.
>>
>>81595543
of tears of joy?
>>
>>81595291
Yeah, but Dan and Laurie having sex after millions of people died while Rorschach gets killed by Manhattan was tonally incongruous.

>>81595436
>entire book critiques the superhero genre by bridging it to the real world
>the climax involves a genetically engineered psychic squid whose setup only is hinted at through a handful of panels spread throughout ten issues

Really, Alan was doing just fine already.
>>
>>81596064
The jarring ridiculousness of the squid is what makes The Comedian realize he's full of shit and can't accept his own philosophy of life. The reader can go through the same feeling about comics and superheroes. The Doc bombs have no thematic value to them or deeper meaning.
>>
>>81596239
The Doc bombs work the same way. Comedian realizing he is ultimately meaningless in the world and that underneath it all he still retains a core sense of morality than he cannot reconcile with the actions needed to bring about change.
>>
>>81591452
There's a lot of allusions to birth/birthing in Man of Steel

Some of it might be on synder.
>>
>>81596320
What most people don't understand is that Snyder's education was in visual arts.
>>
>>81596297
The Comedian's philosophy was that the world was a big joke because people are crazy and thus it was okay for him to be an shithead cause he "understood it all" and nothing he does will change anything. The insanity of the squid and the fact that something so dumb could succeed verifies his philosophy but makes him realize he never actually wanted to believe it. The Doc bombs are neither stupid or goofy and would not have such jarring effect on his character.
>>
>>81590883
Snyder has ideas, he's just not good enough to execute them.
>>
>>81595243
some recents events even unrelated to bvs have shown me how /co/ is so obliviously up it's own ass sometimes. at least /tv/ has a sort of ironic self awareness that makes certain conversations possible
>>
File: 1352384905983.gif (266 KB, 478x369) Image search: [Google]
1352384905983.gif
266 KB, 478x369
>>81590883
>those first 2 posts
T-There's no way Snyder is this well read. No fucking way.
>>
>>81597315

Terrio, my man.
>>
File: 133591749765.jpg (31 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
133591749765.jpg
31 KB, 300x300
>>81597360
If Terrio did that to a Goyer's script, imagine what JL would be like.
>>
>>81596538
>the fact that something so dumb could succeed verifies his philosophy but makes him realize he never actually wanted to believe it.

Except the Comedian dies before the plan is carried out; it's not the squid itself, it's the scale of action required for change. It's why both Rorschach and the Comedian are linked with Harry Truman thematically.
>>
>>81597315
>>81597415
>>81597360
Snyder has a Visual Arts degree with a background in Art History, he's actually very well read. Shit, "what price heroism" is his recurring theme.
>>
>>81590883
I really hope there is a youtube breakdown of posts like this. Would be a interesting project.
>>
File: 1334516256352.gif (2 MB, 403x234) Image search: [Google]
1334516256352.gif
2 MB, 403x234
>>81590883
This is so Kino that I got a film studies degree from just reading it.
>>
>>81597783
KINO
I
N
O
>>
>>81591327
>The world doesnt make sense unless you force it to
>>
>>81590883
Allow me to throw my two cents in here:

I like movie. Movie is good.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160408-181436~2.png (3 MB, 1670x1340) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160408-181436~2.png
3 MB, 1670x1340
I personally like the idea of him being able to hear everything but knowing you can't save everyone
>>
File: Screenshot_20160408-182453~2.png (4 MB, 1440x2253) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160408-182453~2.png
4 MB, 1440x2253
>>81600123
>>
File: run53a~2.jpg (67 KB, 620x319) Image search: [Google]
run53a~2.jpg
67 KB, 620x319
>>81600186
Characterization is a thing
>>
>>81590676
It's funny that you bring this up because didn't they do an arc where Batman and Superman changed places and Batman used Superman's power to resolve all crime on Earth?
>>
>>81590676

Obviously, Superman will go after Bizarro.
>>
>>81600304
Source?
>>
>>81600304
>>8160206
Superman/Batman 53-55 (2009)

It drove Batman insane. He wasn't able to balance having that much power, keeping his humanity.
Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.