[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why hasn't Valve made a TF2 web series yet? Hell, they could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
File: tf2.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tf2.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
Why hasn't Valve made a TF2 web series yet? Hell, they could release the episodes via Steam and charge a couple of bucks for it like their own personal iTunes. I know they spend a lot of time on re-writes but I've seen individuals make well-animated SFM shorts in just a month. Surely the production wouldn't take that long.
>>
>Surely the production wouldn't take that long.
>Valve
Yes it would.
>>
Because Valve's game properties and game development are all on the backburner at the moment. They pull in more money through steam and MOBA games than any AAA game could hope to, so why bother with what would essentially be a marketing campaign for a game whose heyday has come and gone?
>>
>>81555916

IIRC, some of the voice actors for some of the TF2 characters don't work for Valve (thus costing them more money).
>>
File: 1401367791382.png (415 KB, 382x569) Image search: [Google]
1401367791382.png
415 KB, 382x569
>>81556029
They could do same as Kung Fu Panda Legends of Awesomeness and just get a sound-a-like but like other anon explaiend they don't seem to be interested in anthing that isn't steam related.
>>
Basically they'd have to branch out of their current business strategy, which isn't development on anything but cheap and easy DLC. Managing steam and micro transactions is way more important to the company than reviving the surly long dead animation team and expanding it into full production.
>>
Voice acting would make it take longer.
I believe the VA for soldier has cancer and can't do the role anymore.
>Surely the production wouldn't take that long.
You don't know Valve then
>Gold rush update
>"After this initial release we'll be quickly adding unique items for the remaining eight classes."
>it takes literal years for every class to get an update
The comics were supposed to come out on a quarterly schedule if I remember correctly.
That didn't happen.
Valve works at an odd pace.
>>
>>81555916
1.) the voice actors are getting older, fast. Soldier is an understudy who can't do the soldier yell, The scout is voiced by a valve writer and guess what valve doesn't do anymore? oh yeah, release actual games. Pyro and Spy are voiced by a Bateman, and that family's expensive to work with, Heavy and Demoman's voice actor has been working for over 35 years, his voice is getting a little strained, The engineer is in his 60's, and he's currently filming Twin Peaks, The Medic was just Doomsday in BvS (No, really). The sniper is in his 60's and has been retired since 2013, when he did a voice pack for DotA...

Really, you'd have to either replace or recast the majority of the team.
>>
The game is close to ten years old. The intrigue is gone. The VAs are old. It's not a viable idea.
>>
valve is a bunch of fat lazy fuckers
>>
>>81556209
they work at the pace of "When it's to our standards" which means that they are quick to fix mistakes, but slow to release new content.

RIP original phlogistinator.
>>
Do you know how long it took them to release all 9 Meet the Team videos?
>>
We already have like an hour of material, not to mention the many comics.
What more do you people want?
>>
>>81556314
>six seasons and a movie
>>
>>81555916

I really wish they worked faster

I'm trying to think of a slow paced joke but I got nothing slower then valves own speed when making a third game in their respective series

No tf3, hl3, dota3
We kinda got portal 3 with lego dimensions, but I haven't played that yet so I don't know much about it
>>
File: squidward.jpg (7 KB, 292x262) Image search: [Google]
squidward.jpg
7 KB, 292x262
>>81556209
>I believe the VA for soldier has cancer and can't do the role anymore.
>>81556213
>>
File: 1399453393191.png (355 KB, 402x390) Image search: [Google]
1399453393191.png
355 KB, 402x390
>>81555916
>Surely the production wouldn't take that long
>What is Valve time
>>
>>81556314
Wow, an hour's worth of videos and some comics in the span of ten years. You're right, Valve deserves a hard earned vacation.
>>
>>81556422
>dota3
Pretty moot since Dota 2 isn't really a sequel.
It's just a graphical update.
And Dota 2 has already been moved to Source 2.

So "Dota 3" will never likely be need to be made
>>
>>81555916

shame really.

hopefully Overwatch doesn't make this mistake.
>>
>>81556265
time for Team Fortress 4
>>
>>81555916
> I've seen individuals make well-animated SFM shorts in just a month.

You've answered your own question. Valve don't create anymore, they just take credit for other people's work, like with End of the Line.
>>
>>81556477
Of course it will.
Valve made TF2 stuff because some guy in there loves the game.
The last few years of stuff wasn't really for marketing. How much new blood can you have for a 10 year old game?
The most recent stuff is just for the current fans.

Blizzard doesn't work that way. They're far too big and far too ruthless to spend that much money on people who they've already taken money from.
Especially since they "promise" that there won't be any microtransactions .

After the launch hype is over, there'll be fuck all until an expansion pack.
>>
File: Pitou_cries.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Pitou_cries.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
>>81556422
>>81556462

No Dota 3

Why couldn't valve at least give us a tf2 announcer pack I mean we got defence grid trine portal Stanley parable and Rick and morty
>>
>>81555916
I thought Valve was old shit and we were going to make an overwatch cartoon now.
>>
>>81556510
>Team Fortress 4: So important that we skipped 3
>>
File: Kleiner_bust.jpg (98 KB, 490x770) Image search: [Google]
Kleiner_bust.jpg
98 KB, 490x770
>>81556673
At least we got human Tinker.
>>
>>81556673
What I'm saying is that Dota 2 won't need a sequel because it's just going to be constantly updated.

But also yes, a TF2 announcer pack would be great.
Maybe Soldier?

Or Scout and Ms. Pauling?
>>
Same reason they won't make HL3: they're become cheap, lazy assholes.

It's sad.
>>
Valve is a weird company where the people who work there only work on what they want to. Last time I heard, TF2 only has something like a dozen or less people who work on it.

TF2 has been this sort of lab rat for Valve to test ideas on for a while now. They test what they can sell, how they can sell it, changing stats on weapons, making new weapon mechanics, adding in game modes... and they are always taking steps to allow the community to do more of the work.

The tiny team that works on the game right now seems to be focused on matchmaking, and whatever balance changes a competitive mode would need. I doubt they'd worry about making an entire animated series.

If they can figure out a way to encourage SFM makers to animate for them through some sort of steam workshop/patreon set-up so that the community does the work and Valve can make money off it, then I could see a series happening. It seems farfetched, but it wouldn't surprise me if a few people at Valve are thinking of a way they could pull it off.
>>
File: 5199346123.png (172 KB, 503x393) Image search: [Google]
5199346123.png
172 KB, 503x393
You are tasked with redesigning your favorite class for TF3. What do you do with them? What do they look/sound like? What is their personality?
>>
>>81556764
>>81556510
>not team 4tress
fucking off yourselves buds
>>
>>81559014
I'd like to see that fake dog class that popped up some years back.
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Guard_Dog_Update
>>
File: i want to believe.jpg (17 KB, 340x427) Image search: [Google]
i want to believe.jpg
17 KB, 340x427
>>81559438
Oh man, that brings be back
>>
It took like 2 years to make the last TF2 video. Nobody at Valve wants to make a SFM movie, so nobody will.
>>
>>81557264
>Valve is a weird company where the people who work there only work on what they want to. Last time I heard, TF2 only has something like a dozen or less people who work on it.

Valve is like a giant clubhouse. It's organized so that it's completely horizontal, nobody has any sway over anybody else whatsoever. Well, except Gay Ben, he could fire their asses if he wanted to, but mostly he just kind of sits around on his fat ass and plays video games and lets the cash keep flowing into his ridiculously huge Scroogian money vault..

The main reason why they produce things so slowly isn't because of executives steering the direction away from game making in favor of cheap community DLC and letting other people make their games for them because that's more profitable like some people in this thread are implying, it's because the employees there figured out that it's easier to do that then put any actual work in. The horizontal design was created to eliminate middle management and their meddlesome, retarded suit ways of jamming their fingers into everything and fucking it up, but it also eliminated the whip that gets people to actually work. So when they made stuff, they made awesome stuff from the bottom of their own hearts for their own satisfaction, but now the company culture seems to have shifted to 'ah, fuck it, let someone else do it'.
>>
>>81559014
I-
I am not a game designer, and I know full well that TF2 classes do not exist in a vacuum. Every Class has it's strengths, weaknesses, and forms of interaction that are vital to the game's balance (even when they tweak the shit out of that).

so redesigning any one class would have to start with redesigning all the other classes for interaction's sake.

Like: look at the scout: It still needs to go fast, it still needs to be highly mobile, and it still needs to capture objectives quickly and push the cart faster.

It still doesn't need a bunch of HP (Because, as anyone who has ever played x10 mode with grappling hooks enabled against a kunai spy: Goes Fast and Loads of HP is complete bullshit.)...

Gah, The game is complicated. I bet you just wanted an answer like 'It's set in the 80's! The scout is a roller skating chick who dresses like Kelly LeBrock in Weird Science' or something, right? Well, tough. I love that damn game, all I want is periodic new weapons, or for valve to open up the weapons workshop a little bit.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.