[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Marvel never use this guy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: 109688-48839-wonder-man.jpg (98 KB, 400x567) Image search: [Google]
109688-48839-wonder-man.jpg
98 KB, 400x567
Simon was a major member of the Avengers for a few decades then after the 90's they never really wanted to do anything with the guy. He is one of the top bricks on Earth and people actually tend to like him more than Sentry or Blue Marvel. So why is he so underused?
>>
>>81532530
Writer favoritism towards other characters. That's about it.
>>
I think his last major appearance was as one of the villains of that Wild West tie-in to Secret Wars.
>>
>>81532731
He was a good guy in the Battleworld Age of Ultron/Zombie thing too.

But yeah. The series Nicieza and Johnson did was so good way back when.
>>
Man, remember his ongoing where he was trying to be like a superhero actor in Hollywood?

You could make a meta-as-fuck live action movie out of that

>A movie about Wonder Man starring as Wonder Man trying to make a movie about Wonder Man
>>
>>81532846
>The series Nicieza and Johnson did was so good way back when.
What series?
>>
>>81532918
Didn't Jean Claude Van-Damme make something like this?
>>
I think Duggan forgot he's currently merged with Rogue.

Too bad, missed out on a great Claremontian lesbian opportunity.
>>
>>81532530
without the shades i dont even recognize him
>>
>>81532918
They really missed out by not doing a movie with him already.

Can you imagine what it would have been like if a Wonder Man movie came out before a Wonder Woman one did?

Granted I can understand why they didn't bother. Beyond the fact that they have bigger names to draw on first his origin story isn't as straightforward an adaptation as something like Iron Man or Captain America.
>>
>nobody loves Simon
>Beast is a dick
>Clint is a loser
>Wanda's a mess
>the only person who wants to do anything with Dane is Tieri

It's not easy being an Avengers fan.
>>
>>81533147
He still remembers, he's just tying up Remender's plot threads, doing the obligatory event crossover issues, and having fun with the fact that Rogue currently has the powerset of Rogue's 90's TAS self. Simon will probably come back when the Red Skull is defeated.
>>
>>81533756
>Beast is a dick

Also

>Beast will always be seen as an X-Men because he was a founder, ignore the fact that the popular "blue monster" Beast who was actually a fun character got his start in Avengers. Plus, Beast and Simon as a duo is like the best thing ever

Like, seriously, Avengers was what made Beast cool in the first place. I say the X-Men should have lost total claim to the character in the 70s
>>
>>81533756
>nobody loves Simon
Blame Bendis
>Beast is a dick
Blame Bendis
>Clint is a loser
Blame Bendis
>Wanda's a mess
Blame Bendis
>>
>>81532918
Yeah i loved the shit out of that one. Man to think of wonder man having an ongoing. unheard of idea now.

then again vision has a series and its fucking awesome so who knows. But vision is also in a movie like scarlet witch so...yeah probably not.
>>
Wasn't he in Uncanny Avengers a few years ago?
>>
>>81533874
Nah his assosciation is far more heavily in the X camp. Particularly his time in x-factor in the 80s and x-men in the 90s.
>>
File: WonderMan_Cos5.jpg (15 KB, 142x325) Image search: [Google]
WonderMan_Cos5.jpg
15 KB, 142x325
Remember Wonder Man's worst costume? and now the poor guy is stuck in Rogue's head

>>81533914

man he really wreaked that franchise huh.
>>
>>81532918

I'm so pissed about Gambit because one of my dream movies is him as Simon trying to be a breakout actor and dealing with hero shit.

Also he's Vision's brother too!
>>
>>81534005
Yeah, it is nowadays. But what I'm saying is that Beast should have gone Avenger and never looked back. Those 80's and 90's periods never would have happened
>>
>>81533471
Just as trolley as their making a Captain Marvel movie not starring a guy in red tights.

Or having a Corps of space cops
>>
>>81534005

X-Factor ruined Scott, Jean, and Beast
>>
>>81533966
Yes, he was accidentally permanently absorbed by Rogue.
>>
>>81533807
Oh. Thanks, Duggan, you're a bro. Is Cable gonna be a permanent member on the team?
>>
>>81533874
>Like, seriously, Avengers was what made Beast cool in the first place. I say the X-Men should have lost total claim to the character in the 70s
I think this could have happened if he was not included in the 90's cartoon. Ever since a generation of X-Men fans know him as one of the primary X-Men.
>>
>>81534393
Looks like it. Apocalypse Wars is starting and he's busy with Stand-Off.
>>
>>81534354

Now Carol Danvers and Simon is my OTP
>>
>>81534674
Please oh please let Uncanny Avengers not be tied into it.
>>
>>81534284
Made Angel into something useful for once.
>>
>>81534710
With Simon and Carol on the team maybe the Avengers can stop getting so much shit for being a low powered team.
>>
>>81532530
he is a "he gave his powers to Rogue" tier character, like Carol or Sunfire.
>>
>>81534813
Weren't him and Iceman founding members of the Champions?
>>
I remember hearing that he was killed off in the early 90's because writers considered the guy to be too powerful for the West Coast Avengers/Force Works team. And without him they could have challenging villains again.
>>
>>81535269
He was certainly challenged by that Scarlet Blowjob.
>>
>>81535269
>>81535445

fucking Byrne...
>>
>>81532530
Simon's thing in the '70s and '80s was being a guy with powers who isn't very good at being a hero. In the '70s he didn't have any confidence and was terrified (like any normal person would be, powers or no powers). In the '80s he went Hollywood and became kind of a jerk.

All of which makes him an interesting character but he's seen as slightly pathetic, because he is.
>>
>>81533874
> The first thing Bob Layton does when he gets his hands on Beast for X-Factor, remove the blue fur because muh silver age
>>
File: Avengers v3 010-006.jpg (808 KB, 1869x1861) Image search: [Google]
Avengers v3 010-006.jpg
808 KB, 1869x1861
>>81533874
It was pretty clear the Avengers writers in the '90s would have liked to have him back if only the X-Men didn't have dibs.
>>
>>81532530
I think Wonder Man would make for a great Netflix series post-Defenders, when they inevitably have to move out of Hell's Kitchen.

He's this washed-up actor, maybe like a teen heartthrob who never went on to become successful as an adult, and who then somehow got superpowers (origin story is literally superfluous).

You see him struggle because he's not a very brave and heroic person (not a Steve Rogers type) but he does feel that having these awesome powers gives him responsibility to use them for good. So on the one hand he wants to be an actor but can't, and he doesn't want to be a hero but should. You could do some really interesting takes on the whole hero business from a very very different perspective.

I'm actually imagining him kind of like Titus Andronicus from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, this slightly hammy and ridiculous person (the only way to justify WONDER MAN as his actual name is to play it off as him trying to create a memorable brand), looking for his big break who continually gets sidetracked by other stuff, and learns to be a true hero over the course of the show. Definitely a more lighthearted show than DD or JJ.
>>
>>81536713
I would watch the SHIT out of this, Anon.

Write up a treatment and pitch it.
>>
>>81536713
>I'm actually imagining him kind of like Titus Andronicus from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

I love your idea but just to be a pedant, it's Titus Andromedon. Which makes it that much funnier. His rival's name is Coriolanus Burt for fucks sake
>>
>>81536713
>Simon there's a hostage situation at the bank branch around the corner, you gotta get down there and save those people before the shooting starts!

>But I already DID something today!!
>>
File: 1444915569748.jpg (421 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1444915569748.jpg
421 KB, 1000x1000
>>81537411
I lost, kek
>>
>>81537411
>Simon is being shot at by AIM science-lasers.

>Man, I shouldn't even BE here today!
>>
welp now I'm sad this won't exist

>Simon enlists Jarvis' help in shooting a music video
>>
>>81536388
Damn I remember when the Avengers were good
>>
>>81532530
Bendis touched him, add on another 10 years
>>
>>81536713
>>81537411
>>81537665
>>81537698
ITT: /co/ comes up with yet another great idea that will never see the light of day.

Yo Rich, can you like post this idea as one of your """leaks"""" because maybe somebody will see it and like it? Use your shitty site for good once.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.