[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it still hold up to this day /co/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
Does it still hold up to this day /co/?
>>
Hell yes
>>
>>81435924
The music sure as hell does.

Otherwise, like ET, Close Encounters, Last Starfighter, etc., it holds up comparably, with the same issues those have as well.
>>
>You will believe a man can fly

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgX9_2oRd6g
>>
>>81435924
No, but SII does
>>
>>81435924
Yes
>>
First half - absolutely. Second half - sort of. They didn't have an ending when they were filming it, and it shows.
>>
>>81435924
For the most part.

I always thought Hackman's Luthor was pretty crappy, though. He's a good actor but the character is just a generic crime boss in the film.
>>
>bad vibration?
Supe and everything is spot on except for lex and the early cgi. Sure its very cheesy but still better than mos.
>>
>>81435924
My favorite piece of Supes media period. Supes 2 donner cut and Supes reruns are also good.

Didn't care for Man of Steel. I don't think superman works very well when you try to make him serious. That shit works for bats because hes basically a super detective.
>>
>>81435924
I think the first is kinda boring, but Superman 2 is still very watchable

It kinda has that Spider-Man 2 feel
>>
>>81435924
Frakly? It's dated. That, however, doesn't mean it's not a great movie.
>>
>>81441850
This. Dated, but it still makes me feel happy and comfy as hell, and is compelling, and a joy to watch.
>>
Name a better casting choice as perfect as Reeves.

You can't
>>
File: BvSSuperman1Sm.png (3 MB, 1707x2731) Image search: [Google]
BvSSuperman1Sm.png
3 MB, 1707x2731
>>81443179
I adore Reeves as Supes. Cavill has every reason to be as good though. He's just been saddled with writers who are too obsessed with giving Superman flaws to be relateable instead of an actual character, as well as a director who can't get a worth a shit performance out of a cast stacked with the ridiculous amount of talent as BvS has.
>>
Yeah.
Tone is consistent with the character.
>>
>>81435924
About 80% of it, hell yeah.
>>
>>81441751

It also works for Superman, but only on the page, not on screen.
>>
>>81444151

This is the truth. Based Cavill is wasted with Hack Snyder and David Goyim.
>>
>>81444151
>>81447696
I don't understand you people.

Don't you see any correlation between how Superman would be received back then compared to today? Snyder and Goyers Superman is a reflection of the type of world we live in nowadays. I applaud them with what they did in Man of Steel and BvS. Cavill as Kal/Supes is the best part of both movies.
>>
>>81447786

I agree with you that Superman is not completely shitty in Man of Steel and BvS. He at least tries to be a good farmers boy, instead of Batman, who just indiscriminantly murders everyone directly or by willful extension.
>>
>>81447786
Are you joking?

People living in the Cold War/Post Vietnam era lived in a way more cynical and dangerous world than we ever will.

Plus Superman is the man of Tomorrow, not the man of dragged down into humanities petty shit
>>
>>81447786
>Snyder and Goyers Superman is a reflection of the type of world we live in nowadays.

I believe that's exactly why you need a Superman in this day and age.

The world is full of cynicism. A beacon of hope would be nice to see nowadays.

I'm not saying that the world portrayed in a Superman film should be bright and happy and ignore the pro less of today. If anything, it should emphasize that fact.

But it shouldn't be accompanied with a bleak Superman either. The man of tomorrow should inspire us to wish for a better future. Not wallow in one.
>>
>>81447786
>Nobody wants to see an uplifting bright superhero that inspires everyone.

Fuck off.
>>
File: superman01.jpg (229 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
superman01.jpg
229 KB, 1440x900
>>81435924
Watched 1 and 2 a month back, the answer is yes, and effects are still great and don't look out of place because the picture is slightly grainy.
>>
File: tmp_7078-1459145244685-961859880.jpg (425 KB, 1280x2000) Image search: [Google]
tmp_7078-1459145244685-961859880.jpg
425 KB, 1280x2000
The climax didn't have Superman punching a single thing.

And it was still far more exciting than the video game QTE boss fights that were in the Snyder films
>>
>>81448243
MoS/BvS are literally "What if Superman was raised by Randroid trash instead of people"
>>
It has dated elements, especially with the plot having some undeniably goofy moments. It's also quite long, with some scenes feeling redundant, but perhaps that was necessary with it being the first real superhero film. In spite of all that, it's still a great watch, with Superman being absolutely spot on. I don't think anyone's yet to surpass Reeve. The tone also works well, considering it's a more old school silver age version of the mythos. It's a shame how misguided the tone of MOS was in comparison.
>>
>>81447786
Vietnam and Watergate had the US cynical as fuck too

MoS Superman felt too alien imo. He doesn't really go out of his way to earn the people's trust, like giving an interview or something, and I find the fact he lets people basically worship him kinda creepy
>>
>>81448423
A contemporary Superman film should take cues from the current Captain America films. His values are at odds with the cynicism of modern times, and his refusal to compromise them creates conflict. Cap and Supes are definitely different characters, with Supes being more down to earth in comparison to Cap's view of himself as a solider, but I'd think it'd be a good starting point.
>>
>>81435924

Yes. Yes it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJENrNU7wC8
>>
>>81449964

Best theme

Argue against it. I dare you
>>
>>81435924

About 2/3rds of it is an incredible Superman origin story. The last act, with Luthor's grand plan going into effect, is a bit weak, and the ending is a super copout.
>>
>>81435924
The effects are dated and the script is obviously rushed in many places, but Christopher Reeve did a fantastic job playing a naturally heroic and charming Superman, and a bumbling goofy Clark Kent to the point you could genuinely believe they were two different individuals, and that's why he's still the standard to which all other Superman actors are compared.
>>
>>81447786
>Snyder and Goyers Superman is a reflection of the type of world we live in nowadays.
Yeah we all get that, that type of meta treatment of Supes has been done before, and more competently than that.
>>
>>81453487

NO! YOU DON'T!
YOU'RE JUST LIKE ALL THE CRITICS!
YOU DON'T UNSERSTAND THE THEMES THIS CAPE KINO FILM PROVIDES
>>
>>81444151

I can't begin to fathom how Clark Kent isn't relateable. He works a 9-5 to pay the bills. He visits his parents on the weekends. He wants to make them proud. He deals with his girlfriend and his friends. This all sounds like a normal person to me.

And plus he wants to help people. He's just really damned good at helping people.
>>
>>81447786

He was invented in the Depression. He became the Superman we know during World War II, one of the bloodiest conflicts the world has ever seen, he stayed the same through Vietnam, Watergate, the crime ridden and recession filled 70's. Why now, when we're actually living in the peaceful most prosperous age in human history, is he in need of some grim and dark bullshit to be realistic?
>>
>>81435924
NOPE
>>
File: 1408264619025.jpg (6 KB, 248x222) Image search: [Google]
1408264619025.jpg
6 KB, 248x222
>>81454335
>all of that shit you just described
>"""relateable"""
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.