[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know, for a decade that's been so shat upon by comic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 3147936-banner.jpg (893 KB, 1694x849) Image search: [Google]
3147936-banner.jpg
893 KB, 1694x849
You know, for a decade that's been so shat upon by comic book fans for the last 16 years, the nineties sure have been influential in the comic book movie industry.

Now that the dust has settles, what did you think about the nineties? And when are we getting that Youngblood movie?
>>
The 90s were fine. The only real problems were X-Men and Liefeld related, the rest of the decade was fine.
>>
Honestly the biggest problems of the 90's were the speculator market and the flood of #1's and variant/holographic/foil/ whatever crap they could come up with covers that just feed that market until it brought down the industry
>>
>>81425110
90s were only bad for speculation bullshit, marvel's bloated x-events and how late all the image books were. The 90s also gave us a lot of good DC runs, Vertigo, the alt comics scene grew, valiant, hellboy, etc... Overall the 90s was more good than bad
>>
Early to mid 90s was awesome. I loved all of it. Death of Superman, Xmen, Vertigo, Spawn, Gen 13, sexy costumes and gimmick covers all the time
>>
Hating the 90ies is a Linkara/TVTropes meme (mostly because TVTropes contributors watched Linkara and made tropes based on his shows without even reading comics).

The decade had its problems but it gave us a surge of great comics and companies too. And even though Image started out as a Liefeld company, that was the style of the time and they grew out of it and now they're putting out varied genres and great stuff.

And as far as the big issues go, like Superman's death and Batman's retirement, I think they were done quite respectfully - Superman died fighting a dangerous monster and one of his "replacements" was Steel, which ended up as a respectable character in his own right, and he came back after not too long. People were treating it as the death of an american icon because he was no longer relevant during an age of more extreme heroes.

Meanwhile, Batman's replacement with Azrael was done explicitly to show how bad it would be to have a Batman that was too violent and grim. It was a celebration of traditional Batman, not a denouncement.
>>
>>81425954
Emerald Twilight was awesome too and happened right around the same time
>>
>>81425562
>marvel's bloated x-events
Honestly Spider-Man was getting out of hand too. They were running plots through multiple titles
>>
Two words:
Clone
Saga
>>
File: steel-shaq.jpg (17 KB, 294x300) Image search: [Google]
steel-shaq.jpg
17 KB, 294x300
>>81425954
>one of his "replacements" was Steel, which ended up as a respectable character in his own right

Steel ended up as "Earnest straightlaced DC Negro who stands behind White teamates to show we totally ain't racist".

And then they wiped their asses on him with a Shaq film.
>>
File: DV8_26_01_[g-seti].jpg (213 KB, 1024x1610) Image search: [Google]
DV8_26_01_[g-seti].jpg
213 KB, 1024x1610
>>81425110
I liked it.
>>
>>81426091
The Steel solo book was good when Priest was writing it
>>
File: Jim Corrigan certified badass.jpg (333 KB, 995x1549) Image search: [Google]
Jim Corrigan certified badass.jpg
333 KB, 995x1549
The 90's were probably the best times for DC and Vertigo books. So many great runs during that era.
>>
>>81426089
I loved the Clone Saga. Fun Fact: They were planning on ending the clone saga with Spider-Man making a deal with Mephisto, but they thought that would be too much bad writing.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.