[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do these guys go out of their way to avoid reviewing animated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: halfinthebag.jpg (90 KB, 500x265) Image search: [Google]
halfinthebag.jpg
90 KB, 500x265
Why do these guys go out of their way to avoid reviewing animated films? They watch every superhero film but then skip Big Hero 6. They've admitted they're tired of big blockbusters but then don't go see stuff like Lego Movie or Inside Out. I get that maybe Disney musicals wouldn't be there thing, but there are other just solid films overall. I'm sure their audience watches them, why ignore them?
>>
>>81380869
They may not think it's their medium. They're filmlovers, and animated films are a different kind of beast. Animated films can be completely created, the only limitations being money and time. Money can buy skill, and time can allow it to come to fruition. Whereas with liveaction, they understand that everything onscreen, especially actors, are real, and the equipment you use with your layout and execution dictates how everything will look. Animated films you can do all of that yourself. So they stay in their wheelhouse. They also only handle movies aimed at them, only PG-13 and up stuff, because they're the demographic. Animated movies like you mentioned are marketed towards kids. Not their deal.
>>
That's like asking a guy that watches Mad Men to give Spongebob a shot.
RLM doesn't know shit about cartoons or comic books.
>>
>>81381101
>>81381179
Movies like Inside Out are marketed towards kids but still follow all the rules of film making, including actor performance, composition, timing, camera placement, lighting, narrative, tone, etc. They're films that advertise to kids but are still just solid films to watch for anyone. They aren't movies like Home or Minions whose writing is so low tier, it feels like it's for children.
>>
>>81380869
They said they do not enjoy animated movies and refuse to review them on the grounds that they would not be experienced enough to, and have a bias against them during their reviews. Good choice in my opinion. Best to stick to what you know.
>>
File: kill me.gif (2 MB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
kill me.gif
2 MB, 444x250
>>81380869
Because most animated films are from Disney and Mike and Jay hates jews
>>
>>81381179
Yet they spent 45 minutes on BvS.
>>
pg13 and up only because they're big boys
>>
>>81380869
I think they simply don't think they could give a "proper" review due to their lack of familiarity with the film.
I've seen some film reviewers who refuse to review foreign language films because they say their lack of familiarity with the language and culture would give them too much of a skewed perception of the film. I think animation is too much of an unfamiliar territory to them
>>
Because they arent professional critics with obligations just watching movies

Or at least thats what they used to be, now there heads are stuck up their asses
>>
>>81381715
That's a movie.
>>
>>81381284
The entire premise is just kiddie shit.
Then again they did review TNMT
>>
File: h4fScRp.png (52 KB, 610x369) Image search: [Google]
h4fScRp.png
52 KB, 610x369
>>81381996
>>
>>81381715
Because they have Rich on with them to help explain stuff. Mike's vision of Superman is the silly, campy one from the silver age and Jay just doesn't give a fuck about the source material as long as the movie's good. During the Into Darkness review Jay straight up says he knows next to nothing about Star Trek and based his criticism on it as a movie in which he thought it didn't do a good job.

They only go to these movies because:

1. They're hyped up, action packed blockbusters

2. They have big names attached to them i.e any Michael Bay flick

3. It's live action and not solely aimed towards kids

If they weren't reviewing movies for money they probably would skip most of them on the grounds that it's something they give a shit about. They know their audience are big nerds who like this stuff so they're gonna cater to them.
>>
>>81382434
I cried during Lego Movie and Up, but they're still CGI.
Not the same as a real-life performance.
>>
They don't have the knowledge and they don't really care for animated features. That's fine. I'd rather they not review what they're uncomfortable with.
>>
>>81382481
You forgot:
4. It's an Adam Sandler film and now they're obligated to make joke review vids shitting on all of them to make their fanbase laugh cause they did it that one time.
>>
>>81380869
While film and animation share similar techniques in terms of staging, cinematography etc, film is always portraying people. They portray real life. It can still be heavily stylized, as in Sin City, but it's still clearly real people.

Animation is it's own separate art form in the sense that there's the extra layer of how to abstract what you're drawing, how to shape the lines and how to blend the colors, how to exaggerate the timing, etc. etc.

While RLM can easily talk about the cinematography and lighting of animated films, they would be out of their medium when it comes to everything else, and those are the things that make animation special.
>>
>>81382576
I was talking more about them seeing certain cape movies or movies based off a toy line. Adam Sandler is their go to guy for showing how bullshit Hollywood can be and that his comedy is mean spirited so it's not funny. Jack and Jill cost 90 million dollars and yet looks like it was made a shoestring budget. They couldn't even film at a real stadium for a Lakers game and used a shitty set piece They don't hate comedies, they just don't like bad ones and Sandler makes some of the worst.
>>
Probably because they do not give a shit
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.