[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Discuss: Disney at the Turn of the 21st Century
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: f2000.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
f2000.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
Around the year 2000 is when Disney seemed to really hit a bit of a turning point in the direction their films took. The Renaissance was pretty much over, and Disney started releasing more experimental films away from the "Animated Broadway Musical" direction, starting with movies like Fantasia 2000 and Dinosaur. Pixar was also getting into its prime around this time too, as it was still relatively new and was just getting to creating some of its best films.

Do you look on Disney around this time period fondly? Should they have stuck with making Renaissance-style films longer? Were movies like Dinosaur actually good? If not, what could have made them good?
>>
They were experimenting a lot during that time, and while today's movies are a nice cumulation of that effort, a lot of the ones they made back then sucked ass
>>
Fantasia 2000 was great and really succeeded at capturing the spirit of the original. Dinosaur, though, was the most boring movie I'd ever seen from Disney. I just couldn't get into it at all.

I think this was pretty much the big start of the period where Disney movies became largely ignored in favor of Pixar, which was where the actual good movies were coming from for most of the 2000's.
>>
Fantasia 2000 in some ways I'd say is even better than the original. Rhapsody in Blue in particular is one of my favorite things Disney's ever done.
>>
Some of the stuff of the early 2000's was great (Lilo, Atlantis), some was middle of the road (ENG, Treasure Planet), and some just sucked (Dinosaur, Home on the Range). It really was a lot m ore hit or miss than the Renaissance, which was mostly good.
>>
Experimentation isn't a bad thing most of the time and there were some cases where it paid off for Disney such as Lilo and Stitch. (And to add on to this, The Lion King was an experimental film for Disney that they thought was going to bomb.) I think that if they had kept making broadway musical styled films that they would start to get stale after a while.

At the same time though, Pixar at the time was nothing but experimentation and they were clearly doing a better job at it.

I think the best thing Disney could've done was alternate between their classic musical style films and have more experimental and different films come out inbetween them. Which is pretty much what they're doing now and that seems to be working for them. It's all about finding that happy medium. You don't want to release too many of them close together but you don't want to go nearly a decade without one either.
>>
stream is on as part of a M-W-F Disney/Pixar marathon. Tonight is Toy Story 2, Fantasia 2000, and Dinosaur. Shorts on now, first movie in about 10 minutes

live stream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
>>81349223
I agree with you. Though I am glad they're still doing experimentation again, since for the most part I felt it fell flat for them in the early 2000's, with stuff like Atlantis and Treasure Planet just not doing well at all.
>>
Sad that they haven't made more Fantasia.
>>
>>81349893
The worst part is that they had a 3rd Fantasia planned, with a focus on International Music, but it got canned. I'm never over that.
>>
File: 1458056910983.jpg (2 KB, 125x121) Image search: [Google]
1458056910983.jpg
2 KB, 125x121
I liked Dinosaur
>>
>>81349355
Fantasia 2000 coming up.
>>
>>81350303
Maybe we'll see it one day, Brandy. Maybe one day . . .
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.