[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Believe it or not, not everyone who reads comics these days
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1325047626595.gif (3 MB, 448x336) Image search: [Google]
1325047626595.gif
3 MB, 448x336
>Believe it or not, not everyone who reads comics these days is a white, middle class, heterosexual, adult male.

So who does buy comics? Is it mostly genderfluid, bisexual, inner city Sikhs?

Is there any research on the demographics of comic book sales and the people who frequent FLGS?

And all those threads about how you'd run your own comic book shop if you had one, how much of their advice is just the advice of white guys just out of college who don't know what interests blacks, asians, indians, trannies, and other minorities?
>>
>>81319914
mostly white guys but yknow...not ALL white guys. and like a good chunk of those are numale Fags who don't want to look at white guys anyways
>>
>>81320037
I understand companies wanting to fill niches in the market. It only makes sense when you're actually making good money. But I see stuff like ANAD and some of the retcons of existing characters and I just wonder, are these new niches big enough to make up for basically throwing old fans under the bus and telling them to suck it up?

Not that that isn't embedded in the DNA of comics and hasn't been going on for decades at this point.
>>
>>81320093
Comics old fans are battered wives in consumer form. Comics Industry call them fat and ugly, cheat on them, slap them around a bit. But they're still there. Sure they threaten to leave but they know they're going nowhere and they're free to give them a half hearted fuck cumulative on their stomach then roll over without so much as a good night
>>
>>81320278
I dunno, I left after Hal Jordan came back because that ruined my childhood of Kyle Rayner Green Lantern comoics.
>>
>>81319914

>So who does buy comics?

Nobody.
>>
>>81320537
Not even the eComics on Barnes and Noble?
>>
My local comic shop is primarily old middle aged white guys and a variety of young 20 something males. Never saw a black person in it before.

The occasional mom will bring her kid in for the toys. Never the books. The only young women are with the 20 something guys who are babbling about the latest film and complaining how comics aren't as accessible as the movies.

Of course none of that matters if you really believe marvel when they swear they have tons of tansgender and young trendy girls buying digital.
>>
Of everyone I know who actually buys comics, only one of them is a white male.

In fact, most of them are actually girls.
>>
>>81320807
>complaining how comics aren't as accessible as the movies.
>>81320923
>In fact, most of them are actually girls.

Doesn't this prove that Marvel and DC are right to be moving in a more diverse direction with the characters?
>>
>>81319914
>Not everyone who buys comics is the majority.

>OH SO WHO IS THE MAJORITY, HUH? HEH HEH SJWS

OP you fucking retard.
>>
>>81320923
Funny, of everyone I know who reads comics (because I only know one person who actually buys them and that person is me) most of them are white. In fact, I'm the only non-white comic book reader that I know. But who knows, that might be because I don't have a lot of friends tho
>>
>>81321150
Maybe it's just that white people are the majority of the population of most Western countries. Even in America, black people are only 25%, latinos are like 12%, and asians aren't even 10%.
>>
>>81321150
I think it's also important to note where you live.

I live in one of the more diverse places in the US, so of course there's going to be a larger variety of people who read comics.

If you live in a place in middle America that's like 98 percent white males, of course you're going to think they're the only people who read comics.
>>
>>81321238
Blacks are only about 12%, dude. People who call themselves white are 77%, only 62% if you subtract anyone with hispanic heritage. And asians are only about 5%.

Blacks get a disproportionate amount of attention because of history, not numbers. That and the fact that where they are settled, they often form much larger chunks of the population. A place like Wisconsin has almost no blacks, whereas Mississippi has a ton. Kind of like how Mormons are insignificant in the whole country but are damn important in Utah.
>>
>>81319914
Walking Dead fans apparently.
>>
>>81321648
>A place like Wisconsin has almost no blacks,
Wanna know how I know you've never been to Milwaukee?
>>
>>81321546
>middle America that's like 98 percent white males
Remaining 2 percent females must be in a very high demand over there
>>
>>81322559
You have no idea, friend.
>>
>>81319914
>comic book fans
>in 2016
kek
>>
Sikhs actually sound pretty cool, because of the knife thing.
>>
>>81323636
Yeah but comic books are against their religion.
>>
>>81319914
GOAT Justice League
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.