[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a pretty good working knowledge of the DCU but I hear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: final-crisis-cover.jpg (604 KB, 900x1283) Image search: [Google]
final-crisis-cover.jpg
604 KB, 900x1283
I have a pretty good working knowledge of the DCU but I hear this is pretty continuity heavy. Is there anything in particular I should read before this?
>>
>>81277145

You should have an idea of Morrison's concepts regarding the DCU in general. I highly recommend Animal Man, his JLA run, and Seven Soldiers
>>
it mostly serves as a climax to Grant Morrison's overarching epic

essentials only:

>Jack Kirby's New Gods
>Crisis on Infinite Earths
>Morrison's JLA
>Morrison's Seven Soldiers
>Final Crisis (with Superman Beyond)
>>
>>81277296
>>81277402
What about Countdown and Death of the New Gods, where they show why/how Darkseid dies and gets sent back in time?
>>
>>81277145
I read it without too much knowledge about most of the homework /co/ recommends but I still really enjoyed it. Just read it and if you don't get it do the background reading then see if it does anything for you.
>>
>>81277461

fuck it. it's shit, gets retconned in Final Crisis and the story works best without it anyway. There was a war in heaven; Good won, but Evil fell into Earth. With the way Morrison handles the New Gods, it's just best if you think of it as a cosmic Ragnarok, too big to be depicted
>>
>>81277843
>gets retconned in Final Crisis
How?
>>
CoIE, Infinite Crisis, and 52 tie into it a bit towards the end.
>>
>>81277145

It's not so much continuity heavy as utterly contrived, poorly conceived, and even more poorly executed.
>>
>>81277893
it's less of a retcon and more just final crisis directly contradicting it
>>
>>81277893

It didn't get retconned, it just got ignored. DC spent an entire year writing Countdown to lead into notes they had on the first issue or two of Final Crisis, but the published Final Crisis didn't match those events at all, and so the entire lead up made no sense.

EDITORIAL.
>>
>>81278035
>>81278063
So are those two mini's not even considered canon? Were they ever?
>>
>>81278143

They're canon. They're just also ignored as part of Final Crisis.

Yes, it makes no sense. DC Editorial can be incredibly shitty. Especially when dancing around events and star writers. Really, just ignore them if you just want to read FC.

If I recall, at some point during FC all of reality is breaking down and there's a throw away line which was how the lead up bullshit minis would/did still count.

(Also for FC, make sure you read the 12 issues Morrison wrote. He wanted to write a 12 issue event, DC told him 7, he said sure, and then he wrote 5 tie in issues that were incredibly key and brought the count up to the classic Crisis 12.)
>>
>>81278143
I think Morrison said that Death of The New Gods is true in broad strokes, that it's the propaganda version made by Darkseid.

And they kinda have to be since Multiversity acknowledges Superboy Prime destroying Earth 15.
>>
>>81278265

What five issues? 7 main issues, 2 Superman Beyond issues... what else?
>>
This thread always comes up and usually you get a list of Morrison books but in reality you don't need anything before. And it'll be a lot better if you just read it by itself as a stand alone story. Nothing truly relevant matters that you need to read.
>>
File: bible.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
bible.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
You should read the Bible first (pic related).
>>
>>81278371
The story centered on the Tattoo guy was one.
>>
>>81278371

Either Resist or Submit, whichever was penned by Morrison. And two or three issues from his Batman run. I honestly forget, I just wanted to make sure you knew. Ask a proper Morrisonologist, they'll know the exact issues and reading order. Those 12 are the only ones important to FC itself. The other direct tie in minis are just sort of... thereish.

Although Legion of Three Worlds was EXCELLENT, the inclusion is somewhat minor.

That Rucka mini? I'm not even sure what it covers or how it's related.
>>
>>81278453
And Final Crisis: Rage of The Red Lanterns was just Johns taking anything he could use to tell his Lantern story.
>>
>>81278453
OP here, that guy is not me. Pretty sure the copy I have contains all of those, it is the 'New' edition released in 2014.
>>
>>81278453
order is
>dc universe 0
>final crisis 1
>2
>3
>beyond 1
>beyond 2
>submit
>4
>5
>batman 682
>batman 683
>6
>7
>>
>>81278584

Oh yeah, that's just the start of the Red Lantern story line with a throw away line about FC happening.

>>81278599

That guy here, I thought I was talking to Op. 4CHAN IS FUN. ANON IS COOL.

Yeah, anyway. I think there was a later edition with all 12 issues in it, as intended. I think.
>>
does anyone here have absolute final crisis? is it worth it? i don't care about the changed dialogue btw
>>
>>81278143
Morrison didn't want DC to touch New Gods, but there was some kind of editorial confusion.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.