[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I said, "Provide Earth's location by sending an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Facebook Invite All.jpg (171 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Facebook Invite All.jpg
171 KB, 1280x720
So I said, "Provide Earth's location by sending an all-sky distribution in galactic coordinates of the ∼8600 x-ray-bright low-mass young stars identified by the ROSAT satellite. Have them follow the brightly lit breadcrumb trail."

Then some wise guy had to go and say, "You only need information on six stars, Anon. We [all] learned this in Stargate".

You're delusional, Anon#2! They [Stargates] use constellations; arbitrary grouping of stars, 88 of which are recognized by modern astronomers. A constellation pattern has no fucking significance: the stars are at very different distances from us and appear close together only because of a line-of-sight effect. This is well demonstrated by α and β Centauri, which lie side-by-side in the sky although in fact α is 4 l.y. away while β is over 100 times as distant.

Stargate addresses can only be interpolated from the corresponding pictorial representations of star constellations, because only a nominal fraction of the possible combinations of Stargate symbols represent valid addresses. They are ill-suited for the purpose that you propose. As aforementioned, the constellation patterns as seen from Earth are only apparent because of how space is observed from Earth, and their corresponding mapping is thereby based on Earth's coordinate system, with those very same stars used as reference points, because, although the stars do move with respect to each other, this movement is observable for only a few close stars, using instruments and techniques of great precision and sensitivity.

Constellations are very uneven in scale and relevance; some have little justification for distinguishing designation. Constellations as you are suggesting are a bogus idea. Playing connect the dots with X marking the spot will make it easier to plot a course or program boom tube to Earth. Why would you otherwise try overcomplicating it, you crazy Canuck?
>>
>>81271805
The symbols represent a planet within the constellation not the entire constellation. It's still a stupid addressing scheme though.
>>
wat
>>
>>81271997
Wot m8, did you even watch the film and/or then the Stargate series?

>>81272029
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MUzvASr8s
>>
>>81271997
>It's still a stupid addressing scheme though.
Yep. The symbols available to each stargate can differ, so it's possible to get stuck and have to backtrack or be able to fork in places along the distribution path of stargates.
>>
>>81271805
What am i looking at, the resurrection of Stargate franchise?
>>
>>81272029
Nine and a half hours ago, someone made a Stargate joke. Instead of taking it in stride, OP sperged out and made a thread about it, and seems convinced that the other guy is Canadian, for whatever reason.

>>81272479
Batman v. Superman deleted scene.
>>
>>81272479
>I need context, context, now!
https://desustorage.org/co/thread/81233649/#81235444
>>
>>81272548
>>81272628
Thank you. Was disappointed, but, at least i gave it a try.
Signed, a SG nerd.
>>
>>81273143
SG:SG1 ending was a real fucking heartbreak. I know your pain.
>>
File: 39966708.jpg (126 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
39966708.jpg
126 KB, 500x381
>>81271997
>It's still a stupid addressing scheme though.
How'd you improve it?
>>
Instead all this stargate shit, wouldn't Steppenwolf or whoever just recognize that the stars and shit are from Space Sector 2814?
>>
In the galactic coordinate system, the reference is a plane through the sun parallel to the mean plane of the galaxy. By specifying the orientation of the north galactic pole in terms of its equatorial coordinates, equatorial coordinates can be converted into galactic coordinates, and vice versa, using transformation equations on a pocket calculator.

Latitude in this system is given in degrees, + toward the north galactic pole, - toward the south galactic pole. Longitude is measured along the galactic equator to the east from the galactic center, with 0° at the intersection of the galactic equator with the celestial equator.
>>
This thread is arousing.
>>
>>81276063
That might depend on which DC continuity. But knowing this, travel would be restricted to Boom Tube enabling devices, Lantern Power Rings zeroed in on the frequency, element-x powered time-space travelling machines, and a few other known devices, as well as magic or magiclike forces, and whatever other garbage that comic books have spat out. Even if they just get a fleet over to the Milky Way from Apokolips, they have starships capable of interstellar travel. So Earth would be fucked no matter what curveball plot they might throw.

>>81276063
>Space Sector
The size of each of those sectors is fucking ridiculous. Assigning one—and later two, members—of the Green Lanterns to police each sector would be overtaxing. Only 7200 (formerly 3600) Green Lanterns to police an entire galaxy is ridiculous. And there is also that forbidden sector. But since it's forbidden, no one needs to police it. I mean, no one needs to check that anyone is sneaking into there and getting up to no good, right? (But then that story arc happened!)
>>
>>81276063
>just recognize that the stars and shit are from Space Sector 2814?

So you start a supra-luminal or transdimensional VoIP call with your alien overlord fuck buddy, and you have to firmly establish, exactly which of the several hundred billion stars in the Milky Way happens to be the one your call is being redirected to, because your postal address is going to mean shit all.

And the only reason they could find your galaxy in the first place was because you went ahead and turned off the Firewall, disabled DoS protection, and then enabled the Respond Ping Request from WAN option, like a chump.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.