[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Killing Joke: Which version?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: killingjokecompare03.jpg (329 KB, 1255x1024) Image search: [Google]
killingjokecompare03.jpg
329 KB, 1255x1024
Alright /co/,

Time has come. I've saved both versions from various storytimes on here over the years.

But which one should I read?

The original with its zany fluorescent eyepopping saturation, or the newer, sombre, whysoserious pages leeched of color?

I prefer physical comics so I'm considering ordering a copy, and if the consensus states that the old on is superior then I've got some searching to do.

Which do you recommend to a first time reader?
>>
Personaly, I prefer the first one.
>>
>>81258981
First one is more emotive, there are like 8 printings in original coloring, all are pretty expensive though compared to the new version
>>
I kind of prefer the new coloring except for one scene which works better with the crazy colors.
>>
From what I've read, most people seem to like the original colorful one better, even if the later coloring was what the artist would have wanted.
>>
>Tell me what to buy because I am not human I can not think for myself beep boop kill all humans
>>
>>81259037
It's not that.

If there's money on the line (me hunting for the old one and since I'm in the turd world that isn't as easy as for some) I'd prefer to get opinions from others first.

I should have stated in the OP:
>which one do you prefer and WHY
>>
Original. It was garish, yes, but it fit the story so well. It jumps at you and makes you part of the clownish horror of the Joker's greatest "adventure". The new version is just drab.
>>
You shouldn't get either. Get a better Batman or Alan Moore story.
>>
The original, by far. looks gorgeous.
>>
File: 1440475170348.jpg (38 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
1440475170348.jpg
38 KB, 500x366
>Regular tears replaced with 'blood tears'
>>
>>81258981
Oh gee how could anyone pick anything but the image on the right?
I mean, the stupid one on the left is all bright and colorful and the Joker isn't even crying blood in that one!
But seriously, fuck those recolors, I know the original artist did them, they're still horrible.
For instance, compare the eyes in the final panel. The recolors completely ruin Joker's eyes: left is full-blown "I have lost my shit" whereas the right is full blown "I have advanced cataracts and can't see shit".
>>
>>81258981
>Blood tears in the second one
For real? What a load of bullshit.
>>
>>81259905
Honestly I don't mind it in this context. He was just soaked in chemicals which destroyed his skin, got in his eyes and shit. It makes logical sense, and works within the emotional context of what's happening.
>>
>>81259982
It's way more emotional to see him cry his guts out while smiling like a maniac.
>>
>>81259982
The only proper "emotional context" for blood tears instead of regular tears is a 13 year old's poetry.
>>
>>81259029
>even if the later coloring was what the artist would have wanted.
Artists and writers are like any other human beings. Their tastes evolve over time. There are plenty of creators who nitpick or hate on earlier works they've done. Some of those judgments are understandable, while others are simply due to changes in personal preferences.
>>
Just get the Tales of Alan Moore collection,
The original coloring is in it and it's got better stories in there anyway
>>
>>81258981

The original. Far more creepy and atmospheric, John Higgins knew what he was doing.

Should also be pointed out Brian Bolland is an artist who spent most of his career working in black and white, so you might want to question his thoughts on colouring.
>>
>>81260032
According to Bolland, he actually gave John Higgins notes that said he wanted muted colors and for the flashback scenes to be in black and white and he was outraged when he saw the finished version.
>>
>>81260047
I recently found a much larger collection of Moores DC comics and I was surprised to find that the Killing Joke, one of his most famous, isn't in it. Pretty neat stuff though.
>>
>>81260439
>I was surprised to find that the Killing Joke, one of his most famous, isn't in it.
Actually, it was.

There are 2 different versions. The earlier printings included The Killing Joke (with original coloring), while it was removed for later printings and replaced with some of his Wildstorm works.
>>
>>81259201
Garish is a great way to describe it. Totally fits.
>>
>>81258981
FACT: if the more garish version came out later /co/ would hate it.
>>
>>81258981
>I'm about to spend my money on something for my self
how about you buy the one you like/enjoy the most?
>>
>>81258981

I like both versions. Can't really pick a favorite. But a coinflip says...original.
>>
>>81260988
Possibly, but everyone would agree that blood tears are cringy as fuck.
>>
>>81260988
Not me, I don't like modern coloring with its weird shiny, metallic look.
>>
>>81260988
Doubt it. /co/ would call the right one edgy and mean-spirited.
>>
File: tkj punchline.jpg (489 KB, 1000x880) Image search: [Google]
tkj punchline.jpg
489 KB, 1000x880
>>81259905
>>81259982
>>81260000
>>81260008
Don't worry, he did cry.
>>
Overall I prefer the original, but I don't hate the new coloring and even think there are some things it might do better.
>>
File: Understanding Comics_187.jpg (307 KB, 924x1390) Image search: [Google]
Understanding Comics_187.jpg
307 KB, 924x1390
>>81258981
Let's be honest here.
Newer coloring is better.
Old one looks the way it does because coloring was a relatively new art in the 80s - it was right after the time when it was norm to have extremely limited color, so colorists were going crazy with newfound freedom.
Nowadays, with digital coloring being industry standard, we have discovered that less is more.

Pic related, that kind of coloring was the norm in the 80s.
>>
Do we have to choose?

You could also call the versions "Joker-vision" and "Batman-vision".
>>
>>81258981
Holy shit, Snyder's infectious influence has started to affect the comics as well?
>>
>>81264397
I like the way you think.

I might be an idort here but I like both.
>>
>>81264162
Personally, it's all those bright colors which is why I like the original coloring better. They sort of match the insanity of the Joker. Plus the oranges and reds of the shooting scene really adds an emotional weight/horror to it all.
>>
>>81258981
I'm gonna be in minority but I actually like bloody tears. Sure, they look weird, but they work with the grey-green-red color scheme, and fit with the fact that his mouth is dripping too - if it's dripping blood (which would explain Joker's red mouth as some sort of pernament acid burn) it would follow similar irritation would be on the eyes.
Coloristically, it's actually subtler - it's just grey, green and red - with super muted purple that's barely there. In the original, we have PURPLE! RED! YELLOW! GREEN! BLUE! WHEEEEE! Entire rainbow!
>>
>>81264162
same anon as >>81264856
Just wanted to add that while I prefer the insane colors of the original, I do like the recolored version of the flashbacks.
>>
>>81264162
I really disagree. The whole thing being colored like a fever dream makes it stronger.
>>
>>81264397
I wonder what would happen if you spliced the two together. Batman parts get the somber, colorless version, Joker parts get the garish colors version, and the two together goes back and forth or somewhere in between. It would probably look stupid.
>>
>>81265174

...maybe not...
>>
>>81258981
Right one seems more fitting for the current setting of those panels, while left would have been better for a more bright setting. The colors in the right actually stand out more too since left is over saturated.
Then again, I might be biased since I like grays and muted colors.
>>
>>81258981
The one on the left feels more comic book-y, so that one.
>>
File: thorOmni_01a.jpg (460 KB, 1094x800) Image search: [Google]
thorOmni_01a.jpg
460 KB, 1094x800
>>81264162
Reprinting 70s/80s comics is usually wonky.

Sometimes they'll reproduce the four-color printing for the new edition But the problem is that it was made for newsprint-like paper that softens the colors, so glossy white pages blow it out completely, making someone who had light blonde hair in the original have some sort of artificial Post-It-yellow on her head.

But at the same time, it seems like recoloring jobs always lose the appeal that the original had. They tend to be flat and rely too much on gradients and end up a mess that doesn't jive well with the original artwork.

This is why I'm not planning to get the Walt Simonson Thor omnibus anytime soon. Pic related.
>>
>>81265174
This sounds kind of neat.
Someone with talent please do this.
>>
>>81258981
I like the faded out colors for the flashback, but everything else can go either way.
>>
>>81258981
Left easily. If I wanted my bleak, muted colors quota met I would go watch literally any recent comic book movie
>>
>>81264162
Eat a dick Snyder your movies are shit
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.