[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /co/ think of legitimate western attempts at adapt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: The Other Moon.jpg (1 MB, 1650x1326) Image search: [Google]
The Other Moon.jpg
1 MB, 1650x1326
What does /co/ think of legitimate western attempts at adapting Sailor Moon.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/viz-media-anime-deal-uta-dragon-ball-z-sailor-moon-1201725047/
>>
>>81254970

I'm not particularly against it, but these efforts invariably pull the property towards the mainstream and alienate the core fans who were attracted by the foreign perspective in the first place.

I'd rather they spend more effort at establishing the core product and the creators first, merchandising second, then worry about adaptations.
>>
>>81254970
If they can get the original animation studios to do new shows based on those IPs then we will be fine.

Just no Korea and nothing like OP's picture.
>>
>>81254970
In some shows the premise is far more interesting than the actual canonical story winds up being. That is all too common in longrunning anime to me with plots that go nowhere, character arcs get forgotten, But the concepts are or at least were enthralling enough to keep me with them. So I have no problem with the idea of licensing a new series from a new set of creators. I think that's kept Dragon Ball videogames interesting.

Still this is talk of a live adaptation, which makes me a bit more nervous. They can't have the same format of humor as actual cartoons and it opens up the possibility of it just being a stage play version of existing episodes. Which I probably couldn't get behind.
>>
There is no good reason to adapt Sailor Moon in either live action or animated form and it would be guaranteed shit.
>>
File: BitchQueen.jpg (137 KB, 1024x864) Image search: [Google]
BitchQueen.jpg
137 KB, 1024x864
>>81255705
The problem it that's already happening, and so far it's being done as badly as is reasonably possible, for both Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball.

>>81255663
>but these efforts invariably pull the property towards the mainstream

This is always the problem, but I can't help but imagine the possibility of the opposite being the case and a western adaptation actually being liberatingly crazy, regardless of the ultimate quality of the final product.
>>
>>81254970
Diana, Mera, Kara, literally who and Light?
>>
>>81256009
You are aware of what this is actually portraying, are you not?
>>
>>81254970
If something like this were to be adapted, Rei should retain her ethnicity because of her hair colour and because she practices Shinto. The same goes to Hotaru. Ami would be Jewish, Michiru would be Latino and Setsuna would be half black, half white while the rest of the characters would be white.
>>
> americanized live action shows

You didn't even get to watch the original versions like all the other countries. It will suck in so many ways possible
>>
>>81254970
i'm not against it because western shows have a larger budget than japanese shows, but unless the team making it were fans of the source material, it feels like it would fall short since it would be nothing but a cash grab. also a good live action anime adaption is hard to pull off, i doubt it would go well.
>>
>>81258522
>but unless the team making it were fans of the source material

I would be totally OK if someone like Rebecca Sugar ended up somehow being in charge if its direction. Otherwise, go full on fuck my shit up and get Zack Snyder to make a movie.
>>
>>81256009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS027mYtRu8
>>
>want to watch sailor moon again
>usagi's voice is unbearable in english and japanese

I just can't do it.
>>
No, I dont want anyone else to touch SM at this point. Especially not tumblrtier ~racebending~ bullshit.

SU is basically the only Sailor Moon inspired franchise I give a pass to.
>>
>>81258871
Watch it in the Mexican dub, it's the one version where her voice remains great throughout.

Otherwise I agree, it's really unfortunate that they have to get the most annoyingly inappropriate actresses for her, when she can sound so fucking adorable when she's played right. I love the first English dub actress she got though.
>>
File: Mercury02.jpg (138 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Mercury02.jpg
138 KB, 1280x800
>>81254970
I'm not mad they made Mercury brown, but I am furious that they completely botched her hair.
>>
>>81258985
imagine if they made them actually japanese.
>>
>>81254970

Looked awful to be honest.
>>
>>81254970
Whats with the diversity quota western adaptaionts (and i guess originals) try to meet all the time? Its nonsensical
>>
File: PGSM.jpg (92 KB, 1024x722) Image search: [Google]
PGSM.jpg
92 KB, 1024x722
>Live action Sailor Moon
>>
>>81260376
I like it.

I tend to like live actions though, the live pokemon was goat
>>
>>81258672
I'd rather watched this than Crystal.
>>
>>81256491
> she practices Shinto

Religion isn't race, shitlord.

You can be African-American-Japanese and still practise Shinto.
>>
>>81254970
Please no. Just watch the damn original
>>
>>81260755
This.
>>
>>81260567
I hear Crystal season 3 is looking a lot better
>>
>>81254970
Is that Venus on a wheelchair?
>>
>>81254970

Can't be worse than Crystal.
>>
Speaking of western adaptations of Japanese stuff how was that American Cyborg 009 comic?
>>
>>81254970

They suck. End of discussion.

...oh, wait, that's not enough? OKAY FINE, GAWD.

The fundamental reason such adaptations rarely work lies in the "tangible details" theory - that is, the adaptors look at tangible details like "all-female hero team" or "fighter who transforms into a more powerful form", then base their adaptation around those details rather than the less-tangible details that made the original shows work. The resulting adaptations might look like the originals on the surface, but they fail to adapt the intangible details - the stuff beneath the surface - that really made the original shows work.
>>
>>81254970
Not a fan of those character designs, and after seeing how bad west manages adaptations (think of Godzilla, Dragon ball Evolution) doubt something good can come out of it.

>>81255663
>who were attracted by the foreign perspective in the first place.
Most of those core fans didn't even know they were japanese cartoons when when we started watching them or got into them.

>>81255705
>If they can get the original animation studios
They already messed up Sailor Moon with Crystal. Dragon Ball with Super and Saint Seiya with Omega. Don't really want them touching those franchises again.
>>
>>81259005
What are the odds of me finding a spanish dub with english subtitles?
I only know enough of mexican-spanish to be able to figure out what mexican customers want. I just can't stand that high pitched whiny voice, which wouldn't be bad if she didn't do it half the time.

Only slightly related but tumblr animated an entire episode of Sailor Moon. It's about as much as you'd expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhh6TZ6qCE
>>
>>81260376
>literally the best adaptation of the first arc

if they go full remake of pgsm here in the states, i will cry giant tears of happiness
>>
having started reading manga i wish i had a place to talk about it. westernizing it tho? i dunno, sounds like just a remake
>>
File: 1455563152122.jpg (18 KB, 285x279) Image search: [Google]
1455563152122.jpg
18 KB, 285x279
>>81265368
>i wish i had a place to talk about it
>>>/a/
>>
File: steveoface.png (648 KB, 986x516) Image search: [Google]
steveoface.png
648 KB, 986x516
>>81266964
>talking about anime in /a/
>>
>>81260376
Rei and Minako were so gay in this, considering we never got to the Deathbusters arc they were a pretty good Haruka and Michiru stand-ins.
>>
>>81260931
I think they killed everyone involved with the first two seasons and started fresh with a new production team, because it looks leagues better than the previous shit.
>>
File: 1410647027583.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1410647027583.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
Fuck no. They already tried that and it never got past the drawing board.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS027mYtRu8
I thought VIZ would be smarter than this.
>>
>>81261328
>Most of those core fans didn't even know they were japanese cartoons when when we started watching them or got into them.

That's not true at the beginning, when the earliest fans were taping these shows and spreading them East from Hawaii, nor is it true now, with the fandom being largely online.

But that's beside the point. Anime looked different, moved different, told different stories that were often long form. People can be attracted to that without knowing the whys.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.