[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good companies besides DC and Marvel to read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 1459195460075.jpg (62 KB, 339x600) Image search: [Google]
1459195460075.jpg
62 KB, 339x600
What are some good companies besides DC and Marvel to read?
>>
don't read companies
read writers
Jeff Lemire
Brandon Graham
Rick Remender
>>
>>81209256
I find that offensive. Okay rant over thanx.
>>
>>81209635
i find it THICK!
>>
>saga
>walking dead
>wicked & the devine
>the fade out
>southern bastards

But i do agree with the other anon, read for writers.
>>
>>81209635
Why do you find it offensive?
She is fat. Just because you live in a safe space of pronouns and free bleeding doesn't make her attractive, the title less funny or the comic good.

The comic is shit and my store barely sold 10 copies.
>>
>>81211366
Maybe it wasnt great. But it was good enough. The reason why it didnt sell can be attributed to arhaic views. It didnt sell because she was fat. Fat isnt bad. But people feel free to shit on fat people. Therefore it didnt sell. Look how many shit wolverine comucs are out at one time. So once again it didnt sell because of shitheads.
>>
>>81211522
>Muh patriarchy
>>
>>81209359
Lemire hasnt written a good comic since sweet tooth ended
>>
>>81209256
>>
>>81209256
Personally, I've found that many of my favorite comics have been by Dark Horse.
>Hellboy
>Beasts of Burden
>The Lone Wolf and Cub translation
And so on. I enjoy supernatural/horror comics so that might have something to do with it.
Usually though? I just pick up whatever seems interesting to me. Having blind loyalty to one publisher (but especially the Big Two) is terrible for the comic reader
>>
>>81213300
don't read writers
read characters
Dex Parios
The Phantom
Ms. Marvel
>>
>>81213300
I won't argue against that, but there's still alot to choose from
>>
>>81211522
That's bullshit and you know it. It sold like shit because it's directed at a niche audience. Say there's a title about a character about a character whose "thing" is being underweight. Do you pay any more attention to or express any more interest in that title? No, because that doesn't fucking appeal to you and there's no reason why it should. It's not for you, ot's not directed at your demographic. And the people it IS for make up a very small fraction of the comics community, and thus it sells like shit.
>>
>>81209635
>>81215436
Actually, I would be invested in a character who's underweight. Mainly because I imagine him or her being this living nuclear plant that feeds on energy yet exerts radiation so they starve themselves so they won't kill whatever they cross paths with.

Being fat is a 1st world problem. I may not be the most fit person in the world, but at least I don't blame my problems on the world around me. Hell, at least I get my shit together just enough where it doesn't begin to do major damage to my physical health

No matter what you say one way or the other, in the end we like characters. No, we like themes. We don't care much about Daredevil outside of him being Blind, a lawyer, and an adrenaline junkie. All of those things tie back to either his name or his origin. Justice is blind, he should be blind, he's a daredevil, his name is daredevil, he operates in Hell's Kitchen. Literally everything about the character is built around similarities, hence the mass amount of popularity surrounding stories that, when you break it down, are pretty much all about either him being blind or being a lawyer.

Batman's in the same boat, except he's not as flexible in terms of themes. He's got bats and dead parents. That's it. So his stories are mostly built around parallels with his villains rather than any internal conflict

Once again, I'm not saying that every DD or Batman story is like this, just that a large majority of stories, at least good stories, are built around this structure

Also whoever the fucking retard who said that people can't like characters because they have disabilities regular people don't have is a fucking retard. Doctor Mid-Nite, mother fucker
>>
>>81209256
Who is this THICK qt?
>>
>>81209256

What are some other books for high test readers?
>>
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 500x770) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 500x770
>>81216447
love and rockets
>>
>>81213300
Bloodshot Reborn is great.
>>
>>81209256
If I already like Valiant and Harbinger and even Faith as a character some what, is this series good?
>>
>>81216734
As a Valiant fan, I'm gonna say no. It's taking 2 issues to setup something interesting, it might be worth it in the end to trade wait.
>>
>>81216912
Alright, I'll just stick with the other books in their line for now. Divinity II sounds like its gonna be interesting.
>>
>>81209359
Well there's a caveat. Some writers are better on some titles than other. For example, Venditti is trash on GL but I've been hooked on X-O Manowar from the start.
>>
Also, am I the only one that hopes we get another 41st Century series spun out of 4001 A.D.?
>>
File: big two fans.jpg (70 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
big two fans.jpg
70 KB, 500x375
>>81217025
>Lemire doing great with Bloodshot, did great with Sweet Tooth
>sucking at Hawkeye, X-Men, JLD, etc
>Venditti doing great with X-O and Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
>sucking at GL, Flash, etc

Huh, if only there was some conclusion we could draw from this...
>>
>>81216506
>even Venus is not safe from Betopuberty
No! No! NO!!!
>>
>>81215993
>>81215993
>Also whoever the fucking retard who said that people can't like characters because they have disabilities regular people don't

Nobody posted that in this thread. Stop making up shit to pat yourself on the back about.
>>
>>81217515
lemire's superboy and animal man were good
the former I like more than a lot of his creator owned and indie stuff, essex is the only thing I wouldn't put it over
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.