[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how long until they just outright drop Batman's 'no-kill'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9
File: 1954846.png (287 KB, 418x424) Image search: [Google]
1954846.png
287 KB, 418x424
So how long until they just outright drop Batman's 'no-kill' rule?

That's what pretty much every adaptation is pushing for these days. And it's not like this series needs to be wholesome for children anymore, given that the average Batman fan these days is a 30 year old basement-dwelling sociopath with a neckbeard. Is it obsolete?
>>
>>81185679
uhhh

they already did that, and the fanboys will tell you it's Burton's fault or maybe even Miller's

there's literally a big movie where he runs around killing people out right now
>>
>>81185679
>That's what pretty much every adaptation is pushing for these days.
Give some further examples except BvS.
>>
File: Buddha.jpg (28 KB, 600x431) Image search: [Google]
Buddha.jpg
28 KB, 600x431
Even Marvel hacks like Slott or Waid reject the idea of Batman killing.

>>81185679
>a 30 year old basement-dwelling sociopath with a neckbeard
He said, posting in 4chan...
>>
>>81185679
>And it's not like this series needs to be wholesome for children anymore, given that the average Batman fan these days is a 30 year old basement-dwelling sociopath with a neckbeard. I
This depresses me
>>
File: Terry being a murderer.gif (2 MB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
Terry being a murderer.gif
2 MB, 200x133
>>81185679
Terry McGinnis kills more named characters than Joker.
>>
If bat man starts killing people hes going to become as crazy as the Punisher
>>
>>81185819
OP never claimed they weren't an average batman fan
>>
Personally, I'm happy to have my Batman have a no kill rule. It shows his personal limitations and how completely and uncompromisingly ideologically charged his war on crime is. It's when the no-kill rule starts rubbing off on every showboating hero, every disgruntled vigilante, and every unrelenting soldier- soldiers for God's sake- that I have a problem.
>>
>Batman kills
>Joker kills Robin
>Joker lives
And people say that Batman isn't in love with Joker.
Unless those crack theories were right and Jason is Joker.
>>
Batman doesn't kill in comics because they have no set end-date, and so the stories and major villains have to live on in perpetuity.

Batman kills in movies because films need to wrap up their own stories at the end, and when your villain is a big enough threat or does enough evil shit the only dramatically satisfying end for them is death. There's a reason Die Hard didn't end with Hans Gruber being arrested, when your antagonist is that bad having them be carted off at the end feels cheap and doesn't track with the stakes your movie set up.

There are exceptions of course, but these are the generalities.
>>
>>81185777
Arkham Knight DLC lets you murder Ra's Al Ghul for good, ending his hopes for regeneration.

Bruce's plan in the Injustice game was to kill Superman, not depower him.

Batman killed in every single Batman movie. I think the only one he didn't take a life was Batman & Robin.

In the comics he doesn't have any bodycount (unless you count Darkseid in Final Crisis.)
>>
File: 650-16-17.jpg (2 MB, 1988x1528) Image search: [Google]
650-16-17.jpg
2 MB, 1988x1528
>>81185679
Bats is gay for Joker.
>>
>>81185679
Thing is that rule is basically the only limiter on Batman's power.

He's built powered armor exoskeletons and time machines and doomsday satellite laser canons and whatever else - but he has to hold himself back from using them against regular dudes because he doesn't want to risk killing anybody.
>>
I don't really mind batman killing
>>
>>81186090
it's not so much minding, but I think it makes him a more nuanced character compared to the many other urban heroes who leapt at the chance to kill again once the comics code was lifted
>>
>>81185679
If they can't keep Supes wholesome, they might as well not bother with Bats.

That said films don't have to follow the same rules as comics or serialised television.
Films can get away with killing off major characters, because the continuity of those films are going to be heavily limited.
>>
>>81185679
"LOL HAVE A LOOK ON DEVIANTART LATER"

What is this, fucking Deadpool?
>>
>>81186241
It's called an edit
>>
>>81185916
And at the same time he was a lot more compassionate towards his villains than Bruce was, trying to talk them down and offer second chances whenever possible.
>>
>>81186270
Didn't Bruce encourage Terry to kill some villains?
>>
>>81186289
Not that I can remember, but I do remember several occasions where Terry tried to save the villain and Bruce was like "Fuck 'em."
>>
>>81186303
That's what I was probably thinking
>>
>>81185679
That is some JUST hairstyle right there.
>>
>>81186303
Literally no one in Future-Gotham gave a fuck about anything anymore.
>>
>>81186090
I do, because at that point, there wouldn't be much separating him from the punisher.
>>
File: Pacha.jpg (43 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Pacha.jpg
43 KB, 500x500
>>81185916
>Terry
>Terra
>Ptera ("wing")
>>
Batman killed tons in the Burton films, and killed still in the Nolan films, albeit less. Still loads of people. Explosions and truck explosions and crashes kill people.

People are just hating.
>>
>>81186426
There's just no realistic way you can be Batman without killing in a movie medium, which is semi realistic.

Just like the Burton and Nolan films showed us, those are real people getting killed by explosions, real people getting punched in the head and falling off ledges, real people crashing cars.

Batman SHOULD have a massive deathcount. Here's a reality check. PUNCHES CAN KILL.
>>
>>81186076
Preventing resurrection is not murder + extreme case of stopping being Batman forever.
Extreme case of entire world being fucked up.
Who exactly did he kill in Dark Knight and TDKR?
Also even with Edgemeister Morrison on the helm Darkseid survived, so no way. Wasn't Superman the one who offed him? Final Crisis seems like a fever dream now.

Basically, people are interested in seeing Batman kill, because it allows to explore what Batman is - that Batman is more than even his moral codes. He's better with them (since otherwise entire concept starts falling apart) but it's nice to see what he'd be like without it - once in a while. Too long, and it'd get tired.
>>
>>81186468
>Who exactly did he kill in Dark Knight and TDKR?
In The Dark Knight he killed Harvey.

Which is really fucking stupid, because the entire Joker plot revolved around his refusal to kill, and nobody (including Bruce himself) bats an eye at him breaking it minutes later.
>>
>>81185916
Making a dealer overdose on their own merchandise was almost his signature move. How many times does he pull it? Splicers as pictured, Spellbinder in the addictive VR episode, Slappers dealer...
>>
>>81186451
>films films films
we're talking about comics and cartoons. this isn't /tv/
>>
>>81186488
Okay, I fucked up, he doesn't do that in Hooked Up, Max knocks him out instead.
>>
>>81186426

Eh, he could be a lot more choosy than Punisher - agonising over killing a Bane or a Cobblepot but who wouldn't consider killing your 'average' killer/drug dealer/pimp unless they went way beyond the pale.

Frank just looks around him and sees a world that needs franking.
>>
>>81185679
Can't have a villain like the Joker then
>>
>>81186076
>Bruce's plan in the Injustice game was to kill Superman, not depower him.

The alternate Bruce explicitly tells the main-universe heroes that he has no intention of killing Superman with the Kryptonite weapon. At the end of the game, when Superman has defeated the alternate Superman, that world's Batman still refuses to finish him off when that Superman says that he must die if Bruce wants him to stay down, saying "No. Not even you. There's been enough killing."
>>
>>81186468
He killed Harvey in TDK, Talia in TDKR and I'm sure a couple of people died when he blew up the League of Assassins hideout. Point is: only Batman and Robin got Batman right in terms of his moral code.
Superman didn't kill Darkseid. The Black Racer did, and then Superman screamed at a specific frequency to destroy Darkseid's soul/spirit.
>>
File: Even to defend ourselves .jpg (204 KB, 649x984) Image search: [Google]
Even to defend ourselves .jpg
204 KB, 649x984
Batman shouldn't kill. It's called a personal code. He shouldn't care about how other people feel about it. It's the code he lives by. He is obsessed with it.
>>
>>81185679

Holy Shit, someone remembered my shoops.
>>
>>81188821

>Harvey
>tackled off a third story floor without any forethought
>Talia
>car accident

Batman didn't intentionally kill either of those people. The only one he has responsibility for is Ra's.
>>
>>81185819
Slott is such a piece of shit for ruining spiderman, Teasing us with renew your vows, then going back to being shit after secret wars. I hope they fix spiderman in the next few years.
>>
>>81185679
If he kills in comics then they wouldn't be able to reuse his villains, and his villains are as popular and well liked as he is and are more well liked than most of his supporting cast. Ditto for cartoons. Also cartoons are for children and parents don't want their children seeing death
In movies you use the villain twice at most.
>>
>>81185679
I would honestly find it more interesting if it were Bruce Wayne pushing for the death penalty in Gotham while Batman strictly abides by the "no killing" rule. This would maintain the justification for Batman himself regarding the slippery slope of sliding into full sociopath, but it would also solve the, frankly, horrendous fucking MESS that rule has caused in comics so far, where the Gotham prisons may as well have a revolving door for tired, done to death staple villains. Add to that it opens up some new possible plotlines for Batman's work as a detective, when they put an innocent man on death row and the so-called great detective has to be a detective for a change.
>>
>>81186080
Really though? Not killing the Joker I can understand, stick to your guns or you're gonna lose them. But actively stopping somebody from killing Jokey-boy? That's some horseshit.
>>
>>81186483
He tackled Harvey off a ledge to save someone else and Harvey happened to die. It was an accident, and Bruce still ended up retiring afterwards.
>>
>>81189856
Funny how that's similar to most early Batman stories (when he stopped killing people deliberately and started having them die on "accident" or kill themselves)
>>
>>81185679
He could at least just break their spines or something.
>>
>>81190147
Then they wouldn't call him Batman, they'd call him "The Crippler".
>>
>>81190322
What if he broke their spines with a bat?
>>
>>81185916
TERRY OF MURDER
>>
>>81186076
>(unless you count Darkseid in Final Crisis.)

>Darkseid was already dead from a fight with Orion
>His ghost possessed Dan Turpin
>Batman shot Turpin in a survivable location
>the poisonous-to-New-Gods bullet just made Darkseid leave the body
>Superman is the one who actually killed Darkseid's ghost
>>
>>81185679
See this:
>>81185989
Batman is insane. Just a different breed of insane; an ideological fanatic.

But really literally the only reason why he has a no-kill rule to begin with is because the writers want to keep the status quo. By rights every villain he's fought against should have received a batarang to the brain for the amount of evil they've done and continue to do because they still breathe. But then the writers would have to keep trying to come up with new villains and stories.
>>
File: casey jones.jpg (254 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
casey jones.jpg
254 KB, 800x800
>>81190400
Then he'd be a character from TMNT...
>>
>>81185679
He killed people in a movie almost 30 years ago and nothing happened. I don't think this is going to change a lot.
>>
>>81190582
If Batman killed all of his rouges that would be boring. Hence why the Punisher is only capable of killing z-list villains.
>>
>>81186083
No, the only limit is his old money. Take it away from him and he's just another punisher.
>>
>>81187421
Kek, you know that's just him wanting to keep Supes as a boytoy for later.
>>
>>81189787
But that would involve an actual plot for once.
>>
>>81189787
That would be an interesting story. Except most villians end up in Arkham and I don't think executing psychiatric patients would ever be legal...
>>
>>81185679
in the comics never, because there's no one important enough to be Batman's first kill that DC would never want to use again.
>>
File: 4124600_orig.png (188 KB, 492x440) Image search: [Google]
4124600_orig.png
188 KB, 492x440
>>81186462
>wanting realism in a superhero movie
>>
>>81190582
>Batman is insane.
About that, what if Batman didn't kill because the "if you kill, you're just as bad as them" line actually apply to him?
Not that killing the joker make you as bad as the joker, but that Batman is already pretty fucked up and he knows it, so he fears that "crossing that line" would make him sink into insanity.
>>
>>81196642
That's exactly what it is.

Well, one of the three reasons.

He knows that the slippery slope actually applies to him, because he's so barely holding himself together as it is.

He knows that the only reason Gordon and the authorities tolerate his presence is the fact that all he ever does is help them apprehend rather than replacing the justice system entire.

And he can't handle death in general, his coping mechanisms suffer arrested development from the whole "watched his parents die" thing.
>>
>>81185679
Only fucking retards and edgy teenagers care that batman doesn't kill
>>
>>81186076

>Arkham Knight DLC lets you murder Ra's Al Ghul for good, ending his hopes for regeneration.

Not giving him Lazarus ≠ killing him. Is preventing a resurrection. I said that to myself, because i choose not curing Ra's. What do you think?.
>>
File: 1412462497115.jpg (191 KB, 815x1127) Image search: [Google]
1412462497115.jpg
191 KB, 815x1127
If he does the no kill thing, let him have the branding from BvS, it's him taking care of pedos or mega villains and yet not killing them personally. Otherwise just keep a Batman that kills because honestly this shit of him being afraid of guns and death because of his parents has been annoying for years. I know it's comics, but everything just seems to resets all the fucking time, so lets have a period where he kills.
>>
I want Batman to fuck up a mook. Not even by trying, but by accident. Here s how it would go.

Classic robbery, guys run away, B - Man chases. One of the pawns gets a batarang to the back, but - while it hits him - he trips, making it shatter part of his spine. Afterwards he gets medical attention, and a wheelchair, but is now obsessed with Batman. and rest of the story deals with him luring Bats somewhere and trying to likewise cripple hm by minions, dolls, whatever. Next and last story he goes to Joker, tells him he wants Joker to kill him in front of Bman, Joker sees it as an opportuinity to fuck with Bman, agrees. End of story Joker didn't shoot him cause Bats is too fast and shit, our fella falls out of wheelchair, but still grabs a gun random henchamn dropped and suicides in front of them. S the story I want.
>>
>>81189856
>Knock someone off a building
>"happened to die"
Bruce went out of his way to avoid killing the Joker, then gave no shit about killing Harvey.
>>
>>81202234
ok, spine hattering part is kind of stupid sounding, just make it some spinal cord injury. Shit could happen, seeing how many stories tell us about stopping bank robbery
>>
They should have Harley kill Joker.
>>
>>81185679
>implying people like BvS
numbers dont lie, look at the percentage drop off from friday to sunday.
>>
if batman kills then there is no excuse as to why batman lets joker go to prison. after joker killed robin, batman just kicked his ass
bats has the drop on everyone in his city so if he started killing he'd wipe out any threat and soon there would be no rogues gallery
>>
>>81185967
>implying he's not already
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.