[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it racist of me to make the main protagonist of my comic a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (351 KB, 593x409) Image search: [Google]
image.png
351 KB, 593x409
Is it racist of me to make the main protagonist of my comic a misanthropic, bookish, sarcastic, and cynical gal of color who was knocked up as a young adult and raises her kid a lone
>>
>>81035430
Depends on execution my dude
>>
>>81035430
Ghetto Daria?
>>
>>81035430
If your protagonist is a strong woman who proudly and blatantly demonatrates her ethnicity only few spergs, not the majority, would complain.
>>
>>81035497
No. Her pessimism comes from more adult issues.
>>
File: 1441241403882.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1441241403882.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
>>81035430
>Is it racist[...]

Yes. The answer to that question will always be yes, regardless of what follows it.
>>
>>81035603
Adult ghetto Daria?

I can see it working.
>>
>>81035430
Are you yourself a proud woman of Colour?
If not, it's racist for you to even attempt to write about The Struggle from a perspective that isn't your own. You, like everyone, are defined by a rigid set of clear cut labels, and to deviate from them is appropriation of some else's culture.

tl;dr
Don't bother unless you want tumblr breathing down your neck for the rest of your career.
>>
>>81035430
Nah it just makes you desperate.
>>
>>81035430
Seriously who gives a fuck--only you should. Having said that your OP pic leads me to think that you don't really treat racial issues, urh "sensitively"....
>>
>>81035430

Maybe. It won't matter if the character and her story is good though.
>>
It's only racist if you're vaguely white
>>
>of color

What color?
>>
>>81035430
Maybe, but it sounds like you've put enough thought into her personality that she'll be an actual character instead of a caricature.
>>
>>81035430
No, it just makes your comic overly-realistic.

Escapism is the name of the comic game, my friend. Escapism.
>>
>Is it racist if...

Stop right there. Worrying about being percieved as racist or not just sets you up for a bad time. Don't do it, trust me. Just go with the idea, see where it leads.
>>
>>81037859
No, it's a good thing to think about it. You can't let it paralyze you, but, "Is this racist," is analogous to, "Am I treating this character like an individual with individual motives and not just a cardboard cut out plot device?".
>>
>>81035653
Is it racist to support equal rights?
>>
>>81035430
Generally, if you're white? I'd say - I wouldn't do that. There is a chance that you might fuck it up at no actual fault of your own. Of course, choice is yours.

If you DO want to do it, prepare for some research - talking to people in similar situations like these might be good. I mean - the thing is, you will probably want to handle this matter properly and make it into a good comicbook. Try to approach this with some sensitivity, and try to paint believable portraits of human beings, rather than relying on stereotypes.

At the same time, I'd suggest to not concentrate on issues you don't yourself face - e.g. misogyny if you're not a woman, antiblack racism if you're not black, etc - not only it would be really hard to pull off, but also you don't gain much since people will be usually interested in hearing women/black people speak about those issues, respectively, since they are likely to have more interesting opinions because of firsthand experience.

Like, your description DOES sound promising, so it might have potential - I'm definitely interested in what could come out of this.
>>
>>81035480
/thread

Just make her a normal human being rather than a walking caricature like OP's pic and it should be fine.
>>
>>81035430

No, doesn't particularly sound racist. Sounds like Precious a bit.
>>
>>81035430
If you need to ask your probably not qualified to write the character.
but do it anyway. To art is better than not to art. Even if it's shitty art it gives us something to complain and wail on and on about and that is fun.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.