[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are Steven Universe's flaws? For me its the animation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 19
File: Alone Alone.png (566 KB, 1541x1000) Image search: [Google]
Alone Alone.png
566 KB, 1541x1000
What are Steven Universe's flaws? For me its the animation and fight choreography
>>
>>81027750
Hiatus.
>>
These threads never end well. I think everyone knows the shows flaws at this point.
People usually say the crying, pacing, animation etc.
>>
>>81027750
Character design and style in general.
>>
For me the writing is hit and miss

>inb4 everything
>>
>>81027825
>These threads never end well.

Why has this board become so bitch made? Who cares if people end up slinging shit because thats basically all of 4chan.
>>
>>81027876
>>>/b/
>>
Hiring musician voice actors you only get to use once for recurring characters could be considered a flaw.
>>
>>81027750
Being too anime, to the point where everyone compares it to anime.
I have no intention to start watching weebshit but maybe I should if I like this show?
>>
>>81027750
Its fanbase.
>>
>>81027750
Scheduling and runtime. The 11 minute format often makes the storytelling feel rushed, and these bullshit bombs and hiatuses ruin the flow of the show and kill hype
>>
File: 1436688156817.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1436688156817.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
>>81028441
>Being too anime, to the point where everyone compares it to anime.
Who the fuck actually says this?
>>
File: 1458331752245.jpg (77 KB, 746x780) Image search: [Google]
1458331752245.jpg
77 KB, 746x780
>>81027750
Amethyst.
>>
Rebecca Sugar's need to do the whole "All women are cool boys r dumb n fat" cliche.
>>
File: image.png (318 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.png
318 KB, 1280x720
>>81027750
THOSE GODDAMN CHINS
>>
>>81028860
Said someone who's never watched Stephen Galaxy in their life.
>>
>>81029021
Steve's Planet is actually my favorite show.
>>
>>81027750
The villains. Let's get recurring and threatening villains instead of Gem monsters. Have the Gems fight actual people before they take on the Homeworld.
>>
>>81027750
Garnet's universe

Sadie's song
>>
>>81028441
Depends. There's actually good anime you can watch as a "non-weeb", but you mostly have to bring some resistance to aggressive cuteness and Japanese tropes.
For a beginner who is used to American works, I think Panty and Stocking should work out.
If you are into animation and design, then the Ghost in the Shell movie is a must.
If you really want to feel like shit, Jin Roh (also a movie) has your back.
For a great self-contained adventure story, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is really good.
If you just can't leave the USA, Gun Smith Cats is a good call.
And if you just want to kill your brain for half an hour a day, enjoy Excel Saga caution, may contain traces of elemental retardation.
>>
File: Peridot Spot.jpg (596 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Peridot Spot.jpg
596 KB, 1920x1080
>>81029177
This is the most entry-level shit I've read all day.
>>
>>81029303
Yes. That's why I recommend it as entry-level material to a potential entrant.
Because obscure harem shit will scare the noob away and I can hardly tell anyone to start watching Gundam from the beginning. In the 70s. Then tell him which series are bad, which are good and which are important for what.
But feel free.

Oh, and would you say Mononoke makes for a series one can watch without prior knowledge?
>>
>>81028017
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>81027750
THE PACING

I don't know if it's the writing, the eleven-minute runtime of each episode, the "bomb" style schedule, or some other factor but this show's weakest moments come through it's terrible, poorly thought-out pacing.

The ending of Friend Ship is the absolute worst entirely for this reason. Watch that episode in particular, really pay attention to how the characters act and what the characters do in the last two minutes or so.
>>
>>81029303
>Anon gives recommendations for someone new to anime
>LOL ENTRY LEVEL SHIT

Are you retarded?
>>
File: im too old for this shit.png (273 KB, 441x311) Image search: [Google]
im too old for this shit.png
273 KB, 441x311
>>81028805
I've actually heard anime fans say Steven Universe has been "adopted into the anime fandom." Yeah, its completely retarded but Western Anime fans are stupid in general when it comes to the medium.
>>
>>81029726
Yeah. They really need to pace out conflicts better.
>>
Worldbuilding.
>>
>>81031728
That is actually true. It does indeed build the world around each episode as needed and not an inch beyond that. Although, this does indeed amount to a somewhat comprehensive idea of what the fuck is happening, has happened and will be happening that is also not obviously contradictory (Pearl's apparently over-complex relationship to pie aside) over the entirety of the series.
This drip-feeding leads to a rather organic experience of a learning process from an approximation of Steven's perspective and successfully avoids exposition fatigue.
However with the extreme hiati (? hiatuses?) they are subjecting the viewer to absolute dryspells which cause the casual young viewer to probably not put all the pieces together successfully, and the neckbeard to get stumped with all the intentional mysteries that would stimulate the imagination in a regular schedule, but just frustrate for months on end in this terrible embargo.
Not to mention all the things that are left absolutely unsaid as Earth history is never mentioned beyond the CG's direct involvement to the point where the existence of the USA as a state system remains a mystery despite the show apparently taking place in Delaware.
>>
the show hinges on a handful of plot devices, like any piece of work with lazy writing. being space rocks from outer space that have been around for THOUSANDS OF YEARS really gives the writers a lot of room to make up bullshit and attribute it to 'gem history'.

It's not inherently a bad thing, it just gives a lot of power to the writers and doesn't really give the viewer a chance to see things coming.

Oh, and a lot of characters are introduced in a really fanfiction-esque way. It's kinda getting out of hand.
>>
>>81031728
I like worldbuilding in dhows like this but SU leaves a lot of the non-directly gem related stuff too open. The humans seem to range from completely oblivious to not caring about the stuff that happens in the town. Any time a monster attacks the city they seem to never ask questions or ever appear to care. This extends to Steven who never asks questions ever despite him wanting to be a CG.
>>
>>81027811
I realized the other day that the reason these shows (AT included) get hiatuses this long is because of a fan base over the age of twelve. Any normal child wouldve forgot SU or AT ages ago.
>>
>>81027825
>crying is a show flaw
b-but my dacryphilia
>>
>>81029726
>the eleven-minute runtime of each episode
I blame this
>>
>>81027750
Steven is a weak character that really doesn't deserve to main focus.
>>
>>81034867
Stevens the only gem thats actually bearable though. Any time the focus shifts its usually needlessly melodramatic or boring as fuck.
>>
Its not cartoony enough when the designs are ripe for it. Pushes morals instead of going with the flow. Not every storyboard artist gets specific acting the way Rebecca does and messes this up from time to time
>>
lots of bad character design, most notably the fatass main character.

highly tumblr themes including lesbians, race mixing, fatface, every male role model is a buffoon, every female role model is a strong independent woman, "IF YOU WANT MALE GEMS GO WATCH AVENGERS SHITLORD", etc.

sluggish animation and laughable fight choreography.

less funny than a german woman and its attempts at comedy are so bad they are enough to make you change the channel marge.

crying, forced melodrama, retarded FFN tier character interaction.

most cancerous fanbase since MLP that make too many waifu threads, derail every generic /co/ thread with their bullshit and victim complex, and avatarfag with ugly forced reaction memes without the slightest idea of how cringeworthy they appear.
>>
>>81036048
>IF YOU WANT MALE GEMS GO WATCH AVENGERS SHITLORD

They have Scarlet Witch and Black Widow.
>>
>>81036048
>avatarfag

How come not a single one of you autists knows what this means?
>>
>>81036048
>race mixing

What's wrong with humans and gems dating?
>>
>>81036048
>I've never watched the show, but I know all the /co/ memes
>>
>>81036048
But star vs is good right :^)))))
>>
>>81036315
>using images out of place so as to identify yourself as "that guy" or "a member of this fanbase" rather than to convey a reaction.
See also: what happened in the Gravity Falls finale sticky.

>>81036402
>>81036509
lmao, an example of an overly defensive /sug/bot right here. you forgot the picture of pac-man in oil ocean.
>>
>>81036604
>>81036604
>See also: what happened in the Gravity Falls finale sticky.

You do realize that was trolling right? People were outright saying in that thread they were doing it just to get a reaction. Half those people didnt even like SU.
>>
>>81027750
Pacing and writing is god awful in some episodes. Jokes can be stale too.

I blame the pacing mostly on the fact that they don't write a script
>>
>>81027750
For me its flaws are saddie and Lars. All the worst episodes involved them
>>
Lars is the single worst thing on Steven universe!
>>
>>81028330
Bring back Nicki
>>
File: OhMyGod.jpg (54 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
OhMyGod.jpg
54 KB, 500x281
>>81036959
Don't forget about Renaldo. Pretty much all of the episodes focusing around him suck ass.
>>
>>81027750
Existing.
>>
>>81029824
>"adopted into the anime fandom."

That makes way more sense than something like Avatar, which is barely anime outside of its animation style and the shear fact that it happens to have continuity.
>>
>>81027750
Pacing is awful, drama is contrived, the show makes an active attempt to make me hate the Gems the longer it goes on. Besides that though, it's pretty good.
>>
File: Weight.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Weight.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>81027750
The general action choreography, not just fights.

There's no momentum/weight to most of the show. There are a few rare times when the show has it.

It's not limited to just the fights.

Heck, even MLP does this better, and that show is hardly a paragon of good animation.
>>
>>81040908
>>>/mlp/
>>81036048
The tumblr thing is more percieved from people who havent watched the show IMO
Most people that have watched the show regularly and not just skimmed it here and there dont think of it as all that progressive. Dont get me wrong it can be with crap like sadies song and others but as it has been stated every time someone brings up lesbians
They are aliens. They are not human. Applying human genders and sexualities to aliens is just dumb really especially considering they dont reproduce sexually and are grown from the ground.
>>
>>81040908
Thats the problem when most of the ""animators" on the staff are actually illustrators.
>>
>>81041279
All of them, they are all just illustrators

The biggest flaw of the show is there's no downtime with the mineral muff munchers to make you give a shit about them when they're all serious and crying about very important things
>>
File: latest.png (61 KB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
61 KB, 1800x1800
>mary sue
>token indian
>smart girl (WE'RE BETTER THAN BOYS)
>some how is an expert sword user (again, mary sue)
>huge forehead

If they wanted a good token minority, they should've gone with a Korean girl instead as a lot of the staff working on SU are Korean.

I'm not Korean so there's no bias there.
>>
>>81027750
I think there are some problems isolated to singular episodes, but the only series-wide problem is that the show is cheapo. They clearly have a budget, which they are definitely good at managing, putting money where it needs to go, but the overall product shows cracks in its armor. Consistently good animation is just too expensive.
>>
too much forced feels
I like emotional stuff in my show but the crying scenes are getting too overused and stale
>>
I really dislike the minor characters like Lars,Sadie,etc.
the show would be much tolerable without them imo
>>
File: 1458552672491.jpg (148 KB, 601x665) Image search: [Google]
1458552672491.jpg
148 KB, 601x665
>>81041600
>Look at all these narrative flaws I pulled out of my ass! Did you know what would make her GOOD? By making her a different Asian.

What.
>>
>>81041600
She is female Greg, and Steven is Rose. (See: Lion 2: The Movie)

The theme of the series is reverse escapism. The whole point of Connie is that compared to Steven she is a boring uninteresting dope, but Steven doesn't care about that because he likes her as a person, and people have more value than the power and talent they inherently possess. She can't even understand why a magical boy like Steven would even give her a second glance, and conversely Steven can't understand why Connie thinks she's so mundane and lame.

The ep when she learned to sword fight drove home the point that Steven doesn't really need her protection, but she is just making an effort to be of some use because she cares for him. She only became an expert because she trained hard daily with a master swordsman who has been swordfighting for thousands of years. They had a montage and everything, she didn't just become great at sword fighting for no reason. And not to mention the fact that she has no other outwardly useful abilities. There's nothing Mary Sue about her. In fact, there's no preference for girls over boys in the show at all, aside from the incidental fact that gems manifest as females.

No comment on the racial preference or forehead. I don't think it makes a damn difference.
>>
>>81027750
Steven Universe has an issue with set up and payoff. While characters tend to develop gradually, a lot of time their problems are only brought up in one episode and then solved at the end of that episode (Amethyst is the most guilty of this). Steven is probably the best about having very gradual character development, and while others do develop over time (Amethysts insecurity, Pearl's love for Rose and desire to be stronger, Garnet's fusion) A lot of them climax much too soon, so the big moments feel really rushed and inappropriate. You could argue this is also due to just not having a long run time, but even so, you could write the episodes with enough subtlety that these events feel like they have appropriate buildup.
>>
>>81036361
It's unhealthy for the Gem, you degenerate!
>>
File: goo.jpg (70 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
goo.jpg
70 KB, 1440x1080
>>81042851
>There's nothing Mary Sue about her.
>>
>>81041279
Aren't these "illustrators" you're referring to the character designers and storyboarders? The real animators have to be in South Korea, most likely cause of that weird outsourcing system that's been going on for 20 years.
>>
>>81043016
Not that anon, but the worst thing about Connie is that she is tear-inducingly boring.
>>
>>81034183
It's more the overuse of it is considered a flaw, rather than crying itself.
>>
>>81039287
At least Ronaldo is entertaining.
>>
>>81043308
Ronaldo tried to kill a man and no one has ever brought it up or punished him for it.
>>
>>81029520
>he thinks mononoke is obscure
>>
>>81043338
Still better than Lars and no less hilarious.
>>
>>81043016
I really don't think you know what that term means.
>>
>>81031728
Pretty much this. There doesn't seem to be any rules. The crystal gems are whatever they need to be for the story. The townspeople are strangely apathetic to everything or so self absorbed that they don't notice all the insane shit that is going on around them.

Steven doesn't have any character flaws it feels like. Does he ever do anything wrong?

It felt like at the beginning of the show it was about a kid that wanted to be a part of this heroic alien group trapped on Earth protecting some sanctuary. The town didn't seem to know about them so you had the conspiracy theorist kid trying to figure them out and Steven largely keeping it under wraps.

Then shit goes down and they're found out and... nothing happens?
>>
sometimes it's just boring, not boring as in bad, just boring as in it's suited for background noise
or that it's overly melodramatic
>>
>>81043643
>Steven doesn't have any character flaws it feels like. Does he ever do anything wrong?
Steven's Birthday.
Sadie's Song.
Most of the beginning episodes.
>>
>>81043739
You're naming episodes. What are the flaws?
>>
>>81043016
just like patrick on that pic, you are obviously wrong and acting like a complete asshole about it god I wanted to fucking hit that fatass on the face so much on that episode
>>
>>81043754
He made himself a fucking baby and he didn't gave a shit about sadie at all, I mean I don't think he needs to be specific about that if you actually watched those episodes
>>
>>81043754
If you watched the fucking episodes they were all literally about nothing BUT Steven fucking up.
>>
>>81027750
>What are Steven Universe's flaws
It never fucking airs, artificially exaggerating the gap between meaningful plot and character developments.
>>
>>81028860
>fat
Wow
that's sizism at it's finest, right there.
You should be ashamed.
>>
>>81031728
One of them actually admitted that the worldbuilding is mostly afterthought. Not that bad for something they hardly give a shit about.
>>
>>81028860
Everyone is fat and/or dumb in Steven Universe. EVERYONE.
>>
>>81036048
Shut up Peridot, get your tight ass into the kitchen and get me a cookie cat.
>>
>>81036604
>everybody who disagrees with me is a robot haw haw
>>
>>81043868
So he's just insensitive?
>>81043884
Calm your tits.
>>
>>81044129
yeh, but that's probably because he is a kid, he will stop being that when he gets older but at the same time will probably get other flaws
>>
File: angry steven.png (45 KB, 232x258) Image search: [Google]
angry steven.png
45 KB, 232x258
>>81027750
>Steven Universe
When it comes to plot important stuff, this show goes from 0 to 60 in 0.5 s, then two episodes later, stomps on the breaks and shifts to park.

We have an episode about rape by deceit, a breakup/split personality then BAM
Steven is learning about some weird kid, and the problems his middle aged mother is having.
Steven is in some terrible play, then VROOM VROOM, MOTHERFUCKERS
Episode about the dagners of obsession, and spooky hospital monsters
BRAKE
Pageant episode good lesson, terrible execution, feels out of place in a show about alien rocks
WARP FACTOR 9
Mercy towards your (space) enemies

It feels like they made a show about a boy growing up in a beach city, and a show about a half-alien boy, then put the episodes together randomly. I don't mind inconsistency, I loved The Next Generation-some episodes were really big events, others were small ones-but at least just about every episode felt like Star Trek. The characters behaved like themselves, and the environment was the same.

SU has Steven making some very ethical choices (a 14 year old being the voice of reason over centuries old gems), but then he trades a duplicating device for some action figure.

>tl;dr not a lot of consistency, feels like two separate shows mashed together.
>>
>>81043943
Pearl, Lapis, Garnet, Connie
>>
>>81044129
>Calm your tits.
*unsheathes katana* BACK THE FCUK OFF???
>>
>>81044310
>Pearl, Lapis
>Not dumb
>>
File: stop.jpg (37 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
37 KB, 512x512
>>81027750
You summed it up

now.
>>
>>81044296
>(a 14 year old being the voice of reason over centuries old gems), but then he trades a duplicating device for some action figure.
The latter was way early when Steven was still mentally retarded. He didn't become a voice of reason until much later after realizing a bunch of shit.
>>
File: implying.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
implying.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>81044296
>rape
>rape
>rape
>rape
>rape
>rape
>>
>>81044296
To be fair those gems have been like kids their whole lifes with Rose acting as a mother to them all the time, only now with Steven they have the chance to mature. And the reason why Steven is the voice of reason a lot of times is because he is more of a reincarnation of Rose with a half of Greg than a son of Rose.
>>
>>81044310
Lars, Buck, Sour Cream, Smiley, Peedee, Dewey
>>
>>81044296
I agree with you, but I think it's largely because
>11 minutes

It's the nature of the format.

They have to cram every important thing into the time limit of an episode. For pacing's sake, they need breathing room between heavy story segments and light ones, but because all important information has to be conveyed within the space of an episode, we get it in 11 minute chunks. There's no steady transition between "plot" and "fluff." It's just "this is a plot episode" and "this is a fluff episode." And they just mix them up.

For example, the Sardonyx bomb was intended as a full story arc. If it was put together and aired all at once in a 40-50 minute episode instead of being hacked to pieces, then the whole thing would have cohesion and we wouldn't have gotten that whiplash conclusion in Friend Ship. They could have written the dialogue to be less wonky if it wasn't supposed to be aired entirely separately, and it was just the last bit of something aired all at once.
>>
>>81032367
>I have never heard of the genre of magic realism.
>>
>>81036048
>I have no idea what I'm talking about, except for the last point
>>
File: pearl knight 7.png (176 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pearl knight 7.png
176 KB, 500x500
>>81027750
All these:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lSCS6FOTF0Y432eVG-OEL_FV9M9U0VQjqBSOx6w8QCs/edit
>>
>>81048474
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lSCS6FOTF0Y432eVG-OEL_FV9M9U0VQjqBSOx6w8QCs/edit
That was written by an autistic sperglord if I've ever seen one.
>>
How have the Crystal gems not gotten the attention of the worlds governments? From Jasper's invasion to Peridots broadcast, no newscast has shown up at their doorstep, no government officials have tried to bring them in for questioning, nothing. It all seems weird to me.
>>
File: Steven universe money.png (140 KB, 1280x537) Image search: [Google]
Steven universe money.png
140 KB, 1280x537
>>81050952

It's implied that both humans stay away from gem stuff, possibly due to stories passed down about ancient humans messing around with it and getting killed, and that the gems have had a large enough impact on history that world governments might just leave them alone out of respect/treaty. Pic very related.
>>
I'll say it again as I said earlier. A lack of villains. The show needs some actual bad guys for the Gems to go up against instead of gem monsters. At least give them a challenge before they fight the Homeworld
>>
>>81046600
That doesn't excuse away why Steen never asks questions
>>
>>81029824
It is a bad Utena ripoff, I can say that for sure.
>>
File: Ng0tTfN.png (246 KB, 643x600) Image search: [Google]
Ng0tTfN.png
246 KB, 643x600
>>81027861
You don't like the main character being an obese Jew boy with sewer grate nostrils and a jewel on his stretch mark covered stomach?
>>
I'm not too fussed with some of the singing Tbh
Ruby, Greg and Amethyst really struggle
Particularly bad for Greg since that was apparently his talent
>>
The Biggest fucking flaw?

The hiatus'

They obviously have the stuff for the next episode.

yet here we are waiting for months and months for the next episode.
>>
>>81053933
And yet, literally everything else on CN has been getting new episodes left-and-right this whole time... and the Crewniverse has been dead-silent about it as well.

It's pretty obvious something is the matter. I just wish we knew why.
>>
File: Setsusmug.jpg (191 KB, 783x981) Image search: [Google]
Setsusmug.jpg
191 KB, 783x981
There aren't any gundams.
also the kinda-plothole where the Gems don't understand human traditions despite living amongst them since before they were even considered human.
>>
File: Skeleton confused.jpg (90 KB, 500x265) Image search: [Google]
Skeleton confused.jpg
90 KB, 500x265
>>81055735

The Crewniverse hasn't made a new post, even regarding background art, in over a month, Aivi and Surasshu haven't updated the music in two months, despite there being 4 episodes worth of music left to publish, and the Crew seems to be on some kind of "keep your mouth shut" warning.

It's not cancelled, seeing as how it gets good ratings even in reruns, they have season 3 lined up and in production, and they have a whole year's worth of toy lines coming up. They've announced everything from rough estimations to exact dates for the hiatuses to end before this, and have usually updated with something in the meantime. It can't be PPG, because if that was the case they could have just had another bomb back in February.

Something weird's going on, and nobody seems to be able to figure it out.
>>
BUMP
No show is without its flaws
>>
>>81029726
I'd also say it's because they don't write a script. They mostly just use an outline and fill it in on the spot.
>>
>>81059334
And no board is without it's flaws either, that's why we have shitty fucking namefags like you
>>
>>81027750
>What are Steven Universe's flaws?
Not using the animation and designs from the pilot.
Fuck.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.