[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now, Marvel movies seem to overwhelm DC and Marvel heroes will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
Now, Marvel movies seem to overwhelm DC and Marvel heroes will become more famous.
So, will Superman who is posterboy of DC at last forgotten from people more quickly than Marvel Heroes like Spiderman or Ironman?
>>
No, he'll have a permanent place in history since he's the first superhero
>>
Superman is a cultural icon. He's been around for over 70 years now. Whether you like him as a character or not basically everyone recognizes him and knows a bit about him.

The only Marvel character even close in popularity is Spider-Man.
>>
I'm genuinely curious if a character like him, with his fame and all can end up being unmarketable in this day and age.

I guess it kind of happened to Mickey Mouse and Super Mario, we'll see how Superman fares.
>>
Very rarely has Superman been well-received in popular media. But he nonetheless has remained a popular character. It's going to take more than a wave of financial successes that happen to also be critical failures to dethrone every Jewish comedian's favorite fictional character.
>>
>>81000874
>Very rarely has Superman been well-recieved in popular media
It probably seems that way if you're sixteen years old.

>>81000856
>I guess it kind of happened to Mickey Mouse and Super Mario
Maybe if you only go by what teenagers think is cool. Both of those characters still sell unbelievable amounts of merchandise to kids and adults.
>>
>>81001010
Kids only play Minecraft and Call of Duty where I live anon, they barely know Mario exists.
And why would an 8 year old kid in 2016 think that Mickey Mouse is somehow bigger than Teen Titans?
The icons we grew up with are less eternal than you think.
>>
>>81000764
>So, will Superman who is posterboy of DC at last forgotten from people more quickly than Marvel Heroes like Spiderman or Ironman?

No.

ICONS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Popular characters.

Pokemon, Ninja turtles, Transformers, all failed to be Icons.
>>
>>81001127
>The icons we grew up with are less eternal than you think.

You are a fucking idiot if you actually believe anything you said.
>>
>>81000764
>implying
Superman and Batman have been through much worse than potentially divisive movies (or even complete failures). Even if the DCEU falls flat on its face, they'll survive.
>>
>>81001324
>Superman and Batman have been through much worse

They survived the 50's.
>>
>>81001127
Mario is still big as fuck, man. Minecraft and Callerdoodt may have replaced the Zeldas and Warcrafts but Mario and Pokemon literally sell consoles.

Mickey shit still sells colossal amounts too if you look at the toy section of Target, granted it's aimed at younger kids.
>>
>Centuries from now
>Generations of casuals declared Marvel > DC
>DC's pantheon left to the wayside in favor of Marvel's heroes
>Eventually it becomes the stuff of legend
>only a select few are blessed with the knowledge of DC
>DC Comics becomes an underground religion
>One man borne from the stars will come to reap the sinners
>Only Superman can save us now

I'd join a DC Comics cult myself. Reject false icons, y'all.
>>
>>81001246
See you in 30 years anon. Let's see how many young children love Mickey Mouse by then.
>>
>>81001451
>Let's see how many young children love Mickey Mouse by then.

You are a retard that doesnt unerstand what iconic means Mickey Mouse is part of the cultural heritage of the west, just like Superman and Batman, something iron man will never get to be
>>
>>81001451
I was born in 82. Nothing was really done with mickey back then. He was just the cartoon mouse that was the face of disney. I can't think of a single cartoon of his i have ever watched beyond the one scene he was in in fantasia. And yet when i think of legendary cartoon characters he is at the top of the list alongside bugs bunny.

I don't see why another 30 years would make a difference to 30 years ago when he wasn't pushed in everything either.
>>
File: capeshit.png (410 KB, 667x834) Image search: [Google]
capeshit.png
410 KB, 667x834
>>81000764
>>
>>81001746
>Superman alone almost matches Avengers
>Batman alone destroys Avengers
>Spider-man going huge
>>
>>81000874
>rarely

No
>>
>>81001427
In the future, all currently-existing IPs will be owned by one gigantic megacorp, including both Marvel and DC. By the time society crumbles and the tattered remnants of humanity turn our pop culture into their religion, people will have thought that Superman and Spider-Man were always part of the same pantheon of gods, right alongside Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, and Mickey Mouse.
>>
>>81002624
Yes
>>
>>81000764
>superman
>posterboy
Did you mean batman?

Even flash is more popular than superman thanks to bazinga man
>>
>>81004734
Sorry, Flash is far less famous than Superman.
>>
Will Spiderman or Ironman outlive Superman in fame and popularity?
>>
>>81004952

Spider-Man, maybe. Who knows about Iron Man.
>>
>>81004952
No. Once RDJ is done Iron Man falls back into obscurity.
>>
>>81004966
Do you think that Superman will be forgotten and Spiderman will not be forgotten?
>>
>>81004734
That's not even fucking true. My brother has a flash shirt. Do you think he knows what it means? Nope. He just knows it's the shirt Sheldon wears.

Nobody, literally nobody on the street is confused when you wear a Superman t-shirt.
>>
I am Superman fan.
If Superman will be forgotten, i am very sad.
Is it possible?
>>
Really depressed.
Liked STAS as a kid almost as much as BBTAS but other wise have not been too much of a Superman fan.

Mos and the new 52 have made me absolutely love the character and surrounding world. New and classic versions.
Was rewatching and re reading The Dark Knight Returns these past 2 days and have found myself thinking about and pondering the Superman of that universe more then anything else in the book/movie. Even tho he is probably supposed to be a sell out dick there I find myself liking him and that portrayal also.

This bias that their can be only 1 valid Superman that is portrayed in only 1 single way is killing the character in my opinion far more then anything else and far more severely then any other character.

Undescribably overhyped for BVS.
And the vitriol and hate some have for MOS and now BVS is just so unbelievably sad to me.
>>
>>81005559
>This bias that their can be only 1 valid Superman that is portrayed in only 1 single way is killing the character
I may not agree with all of your post, but I agree with this part. Superman hasn't been the same character for the past 70 years, so it's strange that we chose to fixate on representations like Reeves. Comic fans make a similar mistake in fxating on ASS Supes, which is silly because the whole point of that Supes is that he was broken down to his bare form.
>>
Who will live longest between Superman and Batman and Spiderman?
>>
>>81001211
>Pokemon
>Not iconic

Are you fucking high?

TMNT and Transformers you might be able to argue, but Pokemon is on the same level as Mario.
>>
>>81000764
Batman is the posterboy of DC. Normies can't even name five Superman villains.
>>
>>81006971
But, Superman is above Batman in fame and iconicity.
There is huge gap in fame and iconicity between Batman and other Heroes though.
But, Superman is still "a bit" above Batman in fame and iconicity.
Superman is Sherlock Holmes tier which represent national zeidgeist.
>>
I don't know if he can ever really die. I mean he's like the basis for the hero. I would say that it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that when you ask just about anyone what they think of when you say Superhero that most would say Superman.
>>
>>81006971
Normies can't name five Batman villains either. They might get Joker, Penguin and maybe Riddler, but show them a pic of Mr Feeeze, Bane or Clayface and you'll get blank stares.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.