[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the Flintstones really that bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: Fred_Flintstone.png (124 KB, 397x675) Image search: [Google]
Fred_Flintstone.png
124 KB, 397x675
Was the Flintstones really that bad?
>>
It was The Honeymooners with rock puns.
It was okay.
>>
>>80999945
No. Who said they were? Who the hell are you replying to?
>>
File: 1457190511938.jpg (47 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1457190511938.jpg
47 KB, 512x384
>>80999945
Millennials like yourself can't appreciate that puns - ROCK PUNS - are the highest form of humor.
>>
>>81000022
True but Barney was never as funny as Ed Norton
>>
>>80999945
I'd say it's pretty Grand
>>
File: haters gonna hate.gif (397 KB, 490x361) Image search: [Google]
haters gonna hate.gif
397 KB, 490x361
>>80999945
Completely overrated. Much better Hannah Barbara shows came out in that era. I don't understand why The Flintstones are iconic and so well remembered.
>>
In all probability, Wilma Flintstone is the most desirable woman who ever lived
>>
Ehhhhhhhhhh.
>>
File: flintstones_WWE_07.png (768 KB, 850x477) Image search: [Google]
flintstones_WWE_07.png
768 KB, 850x477
>>81000284
Never liked her eyes or hair. Betty for me. But different strokes for different folks.
>>
>>81000269
I think it might be because (despite the entire premise) it was strangely modern many of the issues being somewhat normal everyday problems and satirizing popular celebrities of the time.

It was the only one (that I recall at least) that tried to aim at an adult audience.
>>
>>81000258
I remember my Dad introducing it to me.
>>
>>80999945
It's not the Flintstones being bad, it's that Hanna-Barbera animation is fucking TERRIBLE. It's a great show if you're blind.
>>
>>81000258
Fleentstones was Grand for you?
>>
>>81000640
It's early TV animation, give it a break. The Flintstones had somewhat imaginative visuals, compared to anything else from that era.
>>
>>81000738
It was still just as bad in the 80's, and WB stuff looked better at the same time. Don't defend that shit.
>>
>>81000738
>t's early TV animation, give it a break
Nigga, Looney Tunes and Disney animation were GOAT and were older then this.

Age had nothing to do with it, Hanna-Barbera were just the kings of saving money and lazy animation.
>>
>>80999945
I'm watching season 1 right now and I'd say it's a really comfty show.

I really like the music, the characters, the designs, the background, the simple plots and the (lack of) animation.

Of course it isn't a flexible show with a huge character driven dynamic. But considering its context, I'd say it's a dynamic show for its time. If you enjoy comedies from those times, you'll love The Flintstones.
>>
>>81000793
>>81000824
You know that the really old animation was made specifically for theater audiences right? Obviously they had much higher budgets and standards against something that only just started which may not have been successful.
>>
>>80999945
I like it. I think it's really cute.
>>
>>80999945
No, I like it.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1458699180655.jpg (15 KB, 372x372) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1458699180655.jpg
15 KB, 372x372
>>80999945
Well, first of all, it's totally inaccurate in it's portrayal of Aspergers and trans women. Second, dinosaurs being kept as household slaves triggers me, since I'm Tyrannosaurus-kin.
>>
It was the first of its kind (weekly animated sitcom for adults and children), so it deserves credit for launching a genre.

But like a lot of "firsts", other shows would come along and improve the formula, making The Flintstones look quaint by comparison.

Personally, I think Wait Til Your Father Gets Home is the best of HB's adult sitcoms. Probably because that on was strictly ADULT. Like, Archie Bunker tier adult, which was kind of shocking for its era.
>>
>>81002852
>It was the first of its kind (weekly animated sitcom for adults and children), so it deserves credit for launching a genre.

HB deserves credit for experimenting with a lot of different genres and tonal styles in their early years. I mean, most of those shows were SHIT, but the fact that they were the first ones to try is deserving of some praise.

Sealab 2020 was a straight-faced drama cartoon, structured and delivered like a soap opera. Holy shit it is boring, but no other cartoons were trying that out.

Space Ghost experimented with serialization in its last few episodes as well as crossovers with other HB action cartoon characters, building a connected universe between them.

Jonny Quest holds up really fuckin well, I think, even if the character animation is stiff. The background art and attention to cultural detail and technological detail (all the guns are real models traced from technical manuals) is amazing and holy fucking shit is that show violent.

Wait Til Your Father Gets Home is full of jokes about race relations, sexuality and all sorts of shit and it isn't masked or gussied up for kids. The show is fully adult in tone and content, just... not very funny.

Scooby Doo Where Are You was the first to go with a weekly mystery plot for kids and is entertaining for the novelty. HB and Ruby Spears would drive it into the fucking GROUND with spin-offs and rip-offs, but the original series was novel for its day.

So yeah, HB gets shit on now, but they were the first to try a lot of that stuff and paved the way for everyone else to do it better.
>>
>>81000236
And let's be honest, Fred was entirely too sober to be as funny as Ralph Kramden.
>>
I just found Fred so unlikable
>>
>>81000339
...It's a living?
>>
>>81000824
That's why he specified "TV". Looney Tunes and Disney animations were a completely different market. They were made for theaters , and with much higher budgets. Once animation came to TV, it had to be made cheaper.
>>
File: oh wtf.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
oh wtf.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>80999945
It is what it is. No it ain't Fantasia but the episodes were (usually) funny and the animation serviceable. There's far far worse from that era.
>>
No but it's not aged that well and it's disappeared from pop culture relevance since the 90s.
>>
File: 1950s-television-set-006.jpg (33 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1950s-television-set-006.jpg
33 KB, 460x276
>>81000824
>Comparing animation made to be shown on a theater screen to animation made to be watched on this thing
>>
Limited animation =/= bad

H-B's animation wasn't the highest caliber, but it had the capacity to be a lot better than people act like it is
>>
File: 1369506717580.jpg (803 KB, 786x1000) Image search: [Google]
1369506717580.jpg
803 KB, 786x1000
>>
The original 1960s Flintstones are GOAT! It was perhaps the only cartoon show sponsored by a tobacco company.

>>81000598
Rocky and Bullwinkle had some pretty sophisticated humor aimed at a mature audience, what with their take on the cold war, and all. Not to mention in one of the earliest episodes where Bullwinkle has to make a rocket formula, there's a book on a book shelf called "Sex on Planet X". To this day, I'll never understand how THAT got past the censors!
>>
>>81003055
As an older Anon that was an infant watching all that you listed back in the day, your post is spot on.

HB was the king of TV kids animation from mid 60's through mid 80's, easily. Returning to the success of Flintstones, consider how many elements were blatantly ripped off for use in Simpsons. Celebrity guest stars, contemporary musical acts and personalities, and tossing in the goddamn alien Gazoo towards the end.

It broke more ground as a single TV cartoon than anything that came after it, honestly.
>>
>>81006560
You gotta have some damn good writing to pull a Clutch Cargo off.
>>
>>80999945
It was good. It is a bit overrated but it was good.
>>
>>80999945
No, it lets you have a gay old time.
>>
>>80999945
it was better than the jetsons, for whatever that's worth
>>
>>81012214
>HB was the king of TV kids animation from mid 60's through mid 80's, easily

And a dark, dark time it was.
>>
>>81000185
Lost. This is why I come here hahahahaha
>>
>>81000258

What the Fuck?
>>
For whatever reason, it's not held up or retained its cultural relevance like Scooby Doo has.
>>
>>80999945
it was the first animated sitcom, being the first usually means you are not that great by default.
>>
>>81014986
maybe because Scooby Doo wasn't directly influenced by an specific show, the Flintstones aged as well as the actual Honeymooners.
>>
>>81000222
Do we even have any punny shows?
>>
>>80999945
Fleenstones?
>>
>>80999945
It was OK
>>
>>81000368
Wilma would look so much better with Betty's eyes.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.