[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>it doesn't matter how much you train because someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: p175618_p_v8_ad[1].jpg (356 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p175618_p_v8_ad[1].jpg
356 KB, 960x1440
>it doesn't matter how much you train because someone will become at least 5 times better than you in just one day thanks to some bullshit prophecy
Is this really the kind of message we want to send to our kids?
>>
It's far more realistic than the opposite.
>>
>>80924753
Po became so agile without realizing it after of a lifetime of working on a very demanding restaurant. Pay atention to him when he's serving food. Master Shifu only taught him to use the skills he already had for fighting.
>>
Po is a piece of shit. Compare him to Tai Lung, Lord Shen, or the furious five who all worked hard for what they had.

Worst of all it's teaching kids that being a fat fuck is OK.
>>
>>80924753
Po has always had the powers, he just needs to be shown he does to use them
>>
>>80924888
Except Shen doesn't really know Kung Fu, or at least isn't very good at it. His whole plan involved making heavy use of his cannons that could destroy everything in their path with little effort. On top of that, whenever he fights, Shen uses knives, metal claws on his feet and a halberd. There is never a moment where Shen ever fights without some sort of weapon at his disposal.
>>
>>80924753
>one day
>several months is one day
Po trained for months, you retard. Rewatch the scene, and pay attention to the trees.
>>
>Someone will be more successful than you even though you work much harder than them

That's a pretty realistic lesson to teach kids.
>>
>>80924753
I just finished the third movie. Tigress still best girl and the animation was also nice.
>>
>>80925024
>invented cannons and the factory to make them.
>still able damn good at fighting without them.
>didn't earn it.

You're like those stupid weaboos who think that katanas are superior and more honorable than guns.
>>
>>80925220
Kids sympathize with the hero so that's a terrible way to teach that lesson.
>>
>>it doesn't matter how much you train because someone will become at least 5 times better than you

Its pretty valid for teaching young people humility.
>>
Yes, that's why you should never try.
>>
File: 547338484523.jpg (122 KB, 369x400) Image search: [Google]
547338484523.jpg
122 KB, 369x400
>>80924753
>you can study hard, get good grades in school, and polish your people skills until they shine like gold, but that fat retard who picks his nose is still going to be your supervisor because he's the CEO's son

Sounds about right desu.
>>
>>80925263
To be fair, he didn't really make those cannons himself, more that he supervised him. Also, no, I never said that bit about cannons being better. My point is that Shen either doesn't know kung fu or isn't a master/isn't as good at it as the masters, so unlike other characters like Tai Lung or the Furious Five who have mastered the martial arts, Shen relies on weapons because he's not good at hand-to-hand combat. He's intelligent but he's not a good fighter. I like that there was a major character/antagonist who wasn't good at Kung Fu but was still intimidating.
>>
>>80924753
I'd have liked it if the first movie had shown Po training in secret to hide ot from his dad and he was actually fairly competent to start with.
>>
>>80925080
A few months is still not a lot.
>>
Po only won because he was too fat for pressure point attacks to work though.
>>
>>80925636
wish someone told me that in the STEM field.
>>
>>80926299
Plus Jackie Chan and Jackie Chan beat the shit out of Tai Lung, and would've won if not for Tai Lung knowing a technique which was something they were specifically trained to be vulnerable against.
>>
>>80925024
>There is never a moment where Shen ever fights without some sort of weapon at his disposal.

You understand that using weapons and knowing Kung Fu aren't mutually exclusive, yes? In fact, when used in conjunction they tend to be more effective than when used individually.

That was the entire point of him making cannons. He created a weapon to surpass Metal Ge- *ahem* Kung Fu.
>>
>>80925636
Considering the odds of you being born in a first world country, being born as a human being and being born at all, I never get that feeling.
>>
>>80926428
Kung Fu in pop culture doesn't involve weapons, and that's clearly the portrayal the movies give us. Hell, I think bringing in gunpowder in an attempt to destroy Kung Fu already went over most people's heads.
>>
File: Masters.jpg (292 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Masters.jpg
292 KB, 1920x816
>>80926170
>To be fair, he didn't really make those cannons himself, more that he supervised him.

He invented them. Just because he had some peons assemble them doesn't mean they aren't his creations. He's fucking nobility, he's not going to get dirty forging steel himself.

>My point is that Shen either doesn't know kung fu or isn't a master/isn't as good at it as the master

Your point is fucking invalid. Pic related. You see those guys? Those are the Kung Fu Masters. Some of the baddest of the badass. Master Croc uses maces. Storming Ox uses axes. Thundering Rhino uses a massive war hammer. OOPS, THEY HAVE WEAPONS. GUESS THAT MEANS THEY AREN'T REALLY KUNG FU MASTERS, RIGHT?

>but he's not a good fighter.

Ah, okay. I get it. You didn't actually watch the movie. Why don't you go do that, and then you can rejoin the conversation.
>>
>>80924753
>>it doesn't matter how much you train because someone will become at least 5 times better than you in just one day thanks to some bullshit prophecy

Were you going to use the results of your training to help people or to stroke your ego?
>>
>>80926946
Both. Who says I can't help people while stroking myself
>>
>>80924753
>thanks to some bullshit prophecy

Looks like someone completely missed the moral of the movie.
>>
>>80927027
So does the movie. Tai Lung wasn't even evil, they just treated him like shit for no reason and ruined his life.
>>
>>80927056
They treat him even worse after the first movie. First he makes a completely shitty attempt at a comeback and then his chi gets stolen by Kai.
>>
Why did Tai Lung make fun of Po being a panda when the pandas were rumored to know the secret to the art of chi?
>>
>>80927056
Bullshit, he just didn't get that scroll so he destroyed a village in a tantrum.
>>
>>80927056
>Tai Lung wasn't even evil,

So completely destroying a village full of civilians isn't evil

okay
>>
>>80927056
The movie acknowledged that. Hence the "One often makes his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it" line. They denied him the scroll because they were afraid he might some day snap, which ended up being the trigger that caused him to do just that.
>>
>>80927180
He was kidnapped and force to do martial arts since he was a baby and then at graduation they're like "fuck you, you suck" and he's like "master why" and they're like "we just made up a story. It says you suck"
>>
>>80927056
What should they have done? Oogway saw that he wasn't someone who could handle the scroll. Should he still have been given it?
>>
>>80927242
>They denied him the scroll because they were afraid he might some day snap

This is the fallacy because the movie

A. Doesn't show anything to suggest he might snap
B. The turtle can easily disable him if he snaps
C. He's hardly the only character with mental baggage
>>
>>80927267
>Here's the scroll - It's a reflection because you are the greatest kung fu master of all time and it is up to you to fill it
>Tai Lung spends the rest of his life training and defending China from filthy manchurian cranes
>>
>>80927276
Denying him the scroll was the test to see if he would snap if denied what he most wanted or if he would bow to superior wisdom.

He failed.
>>
>>80926608
Man all the use of red and white in 2 was so gorgeously executed
>>
>>80927315
Po wasn't subjected to that bullshit. Oogway was like "oh shit, better not fuck up again" and treated him like his own son.
>>
>>80925362
I'm still angry
>>
>>80927323
Haven't seen 3 yet but 1 had amazing use of colors as well.
>>
>>80927315
Being denied the scroll wasn't what really set him off. It was Shifu just going "I'm sorry, I have to take my mentor's side here" and walking away. Things would have turned out much differently if Shifu had just stood up for him instead of blindly listening to the damn turtle. That's all Tai Lung really wanted.
>>
>>80927413
3 is weaker all-around than 2, but Dreamworks REALLY pulls out all of the stops in terms of visuals. It's gorgeous to look at.
>>
>>80927623
Shit, I still have the cam. When's the DVD out?
>>
>>80927244
He wasn't kidnapped, he was abandoned and Shifu adopted him. He couldn't get the ultimate scroll because of his attitude, and it was the right choice not to give it to him seeing how he reacted by destroying a village.
>>
>>80927652
They didn't even try to help him, to negotiate or understand his plight, they threw him in fucking jail.
>>
>>80927703
Dude he destroyed a village, God knows how many >people died
>>
>>80927652
Denying him the school scroll meant nothing, it was inherently powerless. If anything it might have caused a moment of introspection. 'If the power is within me, then what am I? Am I the dragon warrior I want to be, or am I more/less than what I believed'
>>
>>80924855
This. People who think why OP said are retarded, since the whole point of the first movie is to debunk that. Hell, it's even addressed in the movie that the others were pissed. Po didn't beat Tailung because he's super special, he beat him because of who he wants and what he brought to the table. Tailung was a very strict and technical fighter. Po knew how to improvise more than anything, and used it to throw him off.
>>
>>80924855
that cliche got old a decade before KFP came out.
>>
>>80924855
People who work in demanding restaurants usually end up with back pain and scoliosis, not kung fu skill.
>>
>>80927732
Meanwhile Po being fat all over the town and nobody gives a shit because "yay some weird recluse monk is being fat on another recluse monk and now I have no home and horse archers are at the gates"
>>
>>80927386
Po's dreams got stomped on too, Shifu wasn't exactly subtle about wanting him gone and trying to make him quit. But Po was able to handle life's disappointments differently than Tai Lung, which is why he was the Dragon Warrior while Tai Lung wasn't.
>>
>>80927757
The agility ultimately didn't even factor into things much. It was the thing that we saw from the beginning Po was good at: tanking damage. Tai Lung wore himself out trying to beat Po. Remember, the Furious Five spent an entire day taking turns trying to get Po to wear out and leave, but he endured it without much trouble.
>>
>>80925024
For starters, kung fu is a broad chinese term that could be resumed in "technique". A carpenter, a wrestler or a painter could have good kung fu, if they are good at what they're doing. What we call kung fu as westerns usually refers to a huge repertoire of techniques and fighting styles.

The point is many of these martial arts are based or include weapons in different degrees. For a chinese, using a weapon in a fight isn't dishonorable or some other bullshit, grabbing a stair and beating the living crap out of some unarmed guy is perfectly fair. Ask Jackie Chan.
>>
File: 1450105433284.jpg (25 KB, 489x489) Image search: [Google]
1450105433284.jpg
25 KB, 489x489
>>80924753
>it doesn't matter how much you train because someone will become at least 5 times better than you in just one day thanks to some bullshit prophecy
that's how it should be
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.