[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So yeah, we all know that the show is about failure and blah
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 3
File: Dr.-Venture.jpg (362 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Dr.-Venture.jpg
362 KB, 960x540
So yeah, we all know that the show is about failure and blah blah so Rusty has to constantly be a loser.
But what about all the things he HAS accomplished?
Does he rate as even a passable super scientist?
>>
Given that he hasn't had a single original idea, no.
>>
>>80896086
>Does he rate as even a passable super scientist?
Only when he does stuff that is or at least looks kind of evil.
>>
In the most awful or lamest possible ways he is a good scientist. But everything is so fucked up around him all the time it is pretty crazy that hes such a good parent to hank and dean.
>>
>>80896117
He did rebuild HELPER a lot, and he did manage to perform kidney surgery on himself and on the boys with no outside help.

Considered how real scientists have trouble building a regular robot I think that's impressive enough.
>>
>>80896086
>>80896117
I mean didn't he create that "dream can" powered by an orphan? I feel like early seasons Rusty was a lot more competent than new Rusty.
>>
>>80896086
http://www.avclub.com/article/the-creators-of-ithe-venture-brosi-walk-us-through-101554

Publick: I think you and I are both sick of every interview mentioning the “It’s a show about failure” from five years ago. I don’t think we made a conscious effort to fight that or anything, but every year, we push what we do as writers a little more. An area we hadn’t gone into very much was positivity. I mean, all our victories are still satiric, but there are definitely places where we said, “I want to see these guys do something. I don’t want to just have everything fall on its face all the time
>>
>>80896142
This. Killinger was right. He's a villain deep inside and sucks at everything else.
>>
He is good at making weapons for the military.

Venturestein,that frankenstein female congressman

hank and dean clones

the energy shield for Gargantua
>>
He did have a ray shield developed for Gargantua 2 in Season 5.
>>
>>80896086
>>80896213
Rusty's only skill as a super scientist is fixing up all his dad's old crap to a level that's not even satisfactory.

Where he really excels is at cloning and reviving the dead, and even that is his dad and that Guy's handmedown work.
>>
>>80896212
>good parent
>>
>>80896357
>He is good at making weapons for the military.
All of his weapons for the military were just the same shit his dad made
>hank and dean clones
the cloning facility was his dad's
>the energy shield for Gargantua
I don't think Rusty actually designed much of that, did he?
>>
>>80896335
So he's secretly Hank Pym?

A villain who's convinced he's good?
>>
>>80896335
You think at the very end he and the Monarch will switch roles? The Monarch is better at killing villains than he ever was at arching, and Rusty is better at evil even being as lazy as he is.
>>
>>80896086
He's shown to be a good engineer and geneticist. But he wants to chase his father's legacy rather than deliver actual advancements in the fields he is good in.

He could make billions doing the clone organ thing, or hell, he can go full 6th day, and sell people clone insurance with memory backups.
>>
He did make a magic pleasure chamber that used orphan parts.
>>
Rusty has a lot of raw talent, but his sloth, greed, and selfishness sabatoges himself. That, and he doesn't even seem to understand all that much about various scientific fields (i.e. "eclipsium").
>>
>>80896534
Cloning is illegal in the Ventureverse
>>
>>80896583
he never finished college
>>
>>80896086
>Jonas and ben began the cloning project, but it's suggested that Rusty is the one who perfected it.
>Joy Can
>Impenetrable force field
>Venturestien
>Walking Eye
>Metrosonic locator
>Ray shield?
>>
There's one episode about boy adventurers where it's very clearly stated that he actually has a life and he's not like the other broken, dysfunctional boy adventurers.

He has a career, a family. He's doing alright, whether or not he lives up to his father's twisted standards.
>>
>>80896892
Rusty is a super scientist to us, but in their universe he's bottom of the barrel (well, as far as super scientists go)
>>
is rusty actually the short-form of thaddeus? or does the nickname come from something else?
>>
>>80896975
It's because of his hair color.
>>
>>80897058
This. He was ginger as fuck as a kid. I guess he still kinda is, but all he's got is the beard.
>>
>>80896892
>metasonic locator

I would argue against that because there was never any proof offered thta it actually worked. Yes he found the plane, but he found it by literally just bumping into it and declared himself successful in the classic Rusty style.

The ray shield has some smaller, but solid arguments against it. Again, lack of evidence that his involvement had anything to do with the success. If credit for the ray shield should go to anyone first, it should be the students and Billy who worked day-to-day on the project.
>>
File: thumbnail_61728.jpg (30 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_61728.jpg
30 KB, 400x300
The Monarch is my spirit animal
>>
Rusty needs to get over his Dad and JJr's baggage and try.
>>
>>80896502
I half expect it to go that way if Rusty keeps making shit like the god gas gun.
>>
>>80896335
>>80896502
>>80898506
Why would rusty want to become a villain? he hates the whole arching system and everyone in it
>>
>>80896502
>>80898506
I had wondered if the bullet would be the catalyst that finally sent him over the edge.

But, they kinda swept that under that under the rug as quickly as they fired the bullet.

Though, we've a couple more episodes in the season, and supposedly the next is the final season... so who knows.
>>
>>80898558
He could become an unlicensed villain. If he had Brock's support he could pull it out.
>>
>>80898648
We've got one more episode this season. And nowhere have they said next season will be the final.
>>
>>80898673
>brock becoming a villain
Now THATS dumb
>>
>>80897798
JJ is easy. Guy just makes Rusty a bit jealous. Jonas however is alot harder. Over 20 years dealing with a man who dragged you on dangerous adventures with his dangerous superfriends and had you personally kill people among other things. All while not showing him actual father-to-son love. Then after that guy dies, he's had to live in the shadow of him who's standards he can't meet.
>>
>>80898752
after he "dies" mysteriously
>>
what made dr. heine arch-able? he seemed like just a normal dentist
>>
>>80898684
Hm, woulda sworn I'd heard it, but I don't exactly chase down news about anything other than "Have those jackasses at [as] finally funded the next season?"

Though, I'm curious as to if we'll see anything of 24 turning on the Monarch or revealing who the Blue Morpho is now. Every other kill he could rationalize as an accident, or was actually an accident, but this one he killed the wandering spider with his own hands.
>>
>>80898705
He's really good at killing people and usually does what he wants without regard if it will hurt strangers or people he doesn't care about.
>>
He's a good scientist when he's violating the laws of nature and decency.
>>
Some of what the show treats as failures is fucking stupid.
>OHHHHH! THE GOVERNMENT WANTS TO ALLOCATE HIS ENERGY RAY TO MILITARY APPLICATIONS!!!

Tell me, when's the last time you remember the U.S. using a nuclear bomb?
>>
>>80896464
He raised them, and deans super smart and hanks great at being hank
>>
>>80898978
All the time
Nukes are the only thing protecting us from ww3
>>
Can we all agree that the last episode was a fucking masterpiece and the greatest episode in the series to date?
>>
>>80898978
when was that a "failure"? Rusty is happy when he's getting paid, hell, he prefers military contracts
>>
Someone post hot pics of Sirena.
>>
>>80898827
i think he just buried the arms and told him to disappear because you don't see a body
>>
>>80898978
> referring to the fucking pilot as if it has any weight compared to the rest of the series where rusty actively tries to make things for the military

come on now
>>
>>80898827
>he killed the wandering spider
Or did he?

And you might've heard it that next season was the last from the threads this season. Just like the people who said we were only getting six episodes.
>>
>>80899194
A distinct possibility.

Like I said, I'm interested in where that subplot is gonna end up.
>>
>>80899032
Practical use, not test.

>>80899067
That's my point. The show trying to act like it's a failure is bull-shit.
>>
>>80899322
>The show trying to act like it's a failure is bull-shit.
i think you're misremembering.... because thats totally wrong
>>
>>80899065
I dunno, I preferred the previous one. Just the idea of an Andy Warhol super-villain is genius. Plus the Superfriends narration at the beginning.
>>
>>80899250
>Expecting everyone know that was the pilot.

Not everyone is the same level of fanbitch. Also,

>Assuming that isn't as canon when it's a pretty good example of the makers' shitty attitude
>>
>>80899595
>>Expecting everyone know that was the pilot.
>
>Not everyone is the same level of fanbitch. Also,
the episode was shit tier flash animation and the FIRST EPISODE
not to mention they have regretted saying that stupid failure quote constantly
>>80896327
>>
The fact that he managed to keep his father's business afloat in the first place, even after JJ's death, is rather respectable, even if it's only for a little while.
>>
>>80899595
well its clearly the only episode you've seen if you think rusty being upset about the military wanting one of his inventions is the norm for the series
>>
>>80898801
Hemeroid laser.

The guild exist to keep science from advancing too fast.
>>
>>80899780
Kid, I grew up in the 80s and early 90s. Over 88% of it all looks like cheap flash shit to me.

>and the FIRST EPISODE
Which means NOTHING if you didn't catch it when the series started or watch it outside of cable.
>>
>>80901709
Just admit you don't actually watch the show or are just making sweeping generalizations about a serialized show without watching it
>>
>>80902712
No.
Go eat shit.

>>80901422
As in it being fail in the more general sense, not a financial one, genius.
>>
File: Happy-Sad-Frog-08[1].png (78 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
Happy-Sad-Frog-08[1].png
78 KB, 412x351
>only 6 episodes
>>
>>80896117
Walking eye
>>
>>80904741
But what does it do?
>>
>>80896471
His personal shield for soldiers was pretty impressive.
>>
>>80904915
It's right there in the name.
>>
>>80898848
But he has a licence to do that.
>>
>>80899001
theyve also died countless times
and he doesnt remember their names
>>
Rusty has always been lazy not incompetent. He pretty much just gets by on knowing people as good at super science as himself and leeching off them since it's easier than spending hundreds of hours researching building and testing.
>>
>>80897178
Dude it was the locator that brought Major Tom back to life in the first place
>>
>>80901709
>Kid

This is when you know you have already lost.
>>
>>80898801
He was a proctologist
>>
>>80904319
>tfw after this week there will be -2 episodes left
>>
>>80910662
butt dentist
>>
Anyone else hype for Red Death, AKA Clancy Brown Red Skull?
>>
>>80898558
He'd probably like it if he gave it a fair chance. The guy loves dragging people down.
>>
>>80896317
He also (with help) made cloning his children and saving their entire memories possible.
>>
>>80904088
>As in it being fail in the more general sense, not a financial one, genius.
Rusty turns it into a success
>>
>>80896892
The walking eye is implied to be a thing that already exists and Doc just likes it.

Since Dr Z is literally the same character as Dr Zin, the Walking Eye would have existed for decades before he created his.
>>
>>80897178
I didn't do what it was supposed to, but it did raise a vengeful spirit. Could be used for psychological warfare: blast the enemy's side of the battlefield with this shit and listen to them scream.
>>
>>80898705
Brock probably has the highest direct body count on the planet. Even Hitler had to use help. Brock also kills whoever he dislikes, regardless of whether they are a criminal deserving of death. He'd make a great henchman Lieutenant (as we have already seen).
>>
>>80901582
I don't get it how both the evil and good scientists don't get that this arching bullshit is just wasting their time and revolt against the system.
>>
>>80919328
Nah, Brock is solidly on the "Good Side."
He is an OSI man, through and through. Or at least Hunter's OSI.
>>
When does the last episode airs again?
>>
>>80919464
18 hours from this point.
>>
>>80896086
Rusty's obviously massively talented. He's been able to pull of some insane super-science at points, all on a dated brain-imprinting machine level of high-school and barely any college.
>>
>>80919513
Talent is of no use if you neglect it and let it get... Rusty.
>>
>>80919483
thanks mate.
>>
>>80896502
Nah, they did that arc already. Doc pretty definitively decided to be a good guy.

More likely they'll team up.
>>
>>80919603
>doc definitively decided to be a good guy

And I think that that was all part of Killinger's plan. Retroactively, of course, after Killinger became a balancing force in the Ventureverse. He needed Rusty to be a good guy so that he could create the new Council. And make the Monarch the Blue Morpho.
>>
>>80919826
I think doc becoming a bad guy was supposed to be part of the plan A but once Doc turned him down Killinger formed a plan B.
>>
>tfw after tomorrow there'll be -2 episodes left
>>
>>80919881
Nah, Killinger (now) seems to know what is best for everyone, so I think he wanted to show Rusty that Rust was on-track to be a villain if he didn't wise up.
That doesn't explain Killinger wanting to get Myra and Rusty back together, but that Killinger wasn't an omniscient manipulator of events like he is now. They changed the character quite a bit.
>>
>>80919930
Aren't you supposed to post that with a picture of a sad frog?
>>
>>80919985
Don't tell me what to do.
>>
>>80896086
>But what about all the things he HAS accomplished?

He is the opposite rhyme of his father. Rusty is only good at making super villain shit, like the Ooo Ray or cloning.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.