[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could you guys name me some good comics and cartoons that deal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1
File: persepolis3.jpg (77 KB, 625x338) Image search: [Google]
persepolis3.jpg
77 KB, 625x338
Could you guys name me some good comics and cartoons that deal with social justice issues but aren't Tumblr bait?
>>
obligatory maus post
>>
>>80888148
So you saying that persepolis is tumblr?
What about maus which is pro jew
>>
>>80888148
>social justice issues
You'll need to be more specific. Because superheroes are social justice warriors pretty literally.
>>
>>80888191
>implying implications
>>
Love and Rockets?
>>
>>80888191
No, I'm implying that Persepolis is good
>>
>>80888148
I think your best bet is to drop the "social justice" term since that has strong ties to Tumblr's version, which is to punch up and punch drunk.
>>
>>80888212
Not the Punisher, he's anti-social. Same with Batman.
>>
>>80888277
But that's wrong, they're asocial not antisocial.
They both definitely fight for their own brand of social justice.
>>
>>80888269
Which terms should I use then?
>>
>>80888148
We3 deals with animal testing, if somewhat tangentially.
>>
>>80888323
But they don't socialize. How can their justice be social if they don't socialize?
>>
>>80888328
Whatever the fuck you actually mean.
Do you want comics that deal with religion and its place in society? With racism? With sex/gender issues? With other economico-social issues (which ones)? With real historical conflicts and their social impact seen through slice of life (like Persepolis)?

If it's the latter try to watch Waltz with Bashir. That is if you're not affraid of jews.
>>
>>80888354
SO does Secret of Nihm.

>>80888373
Are you retarded?That's not what "social" means, "social" means "as pertaining to society and/or to human relations as a whole". Their actions clearly deal with what society deems to be criminals and their goal is to clear society of what they see as unjust people (criminals).
>>
robin son of batman
>>
miss marvel
>>
>>80888212
>Because superheroes are social justice warriors pretty literally.
I don't think you know what social justice means...
>>
>>80888485
I don't think you do.
>>
>>80888148
Stuck Rubber Baby
t
u
c
k

R
u
b
b
b
e
r

B
a
b
y
>>
>>80888379
Any of these is fine, really.
I just enjoy media that has good social commentary, and ''social justice'' is a good umbrella term for all these things. It is, sadly, very related to Tumblr
>>
HURR DURR POL

HURR DURR POL

HURR DURR POL
>>
Isn't the old term for social justice civil rights or are the specifics on what they cover too incompatible at this point?
>>
>>80888191
>What about maus which is pro jew

Maus really isn't pro jew. Art Spiegelman certainly isn't.
>>
>>80888148
Transmetropolitan maybe?
>>
>>80888543
Unfortunately the term has been co-opted to mean vaguly leftist, buzz word spouting internet outrage monkeys.
Prehaps politicaly aware or issue focused would be more useful in this situation?
>>
Tale of one Bad Rat by Brian Talbot is a great read
>>
>>80888629
Civil rights deal with civil rights, the idea of social justice encompasses more, sine it deals with things beyond their legality. At least from what I understand.
>>
>>80888689
It's the most current term for scalawags, hipsters and other white negros, yes.
>>
Most of Joe Sacco's output?
>>
>>80888148
Don't call it "social justice".

Call it "problems people have".
>>
>>80888191
persepolis shits on islam way too much to be tumblr
>>
>>80888148
Man this movie was great, will Majeed or whatever ever love me
>>
X-men
>>
Joe Sacco's non humorous comics
Black Hole
Today is the last day of the rest of your life
Any empire, swallow me whole and March by Nate powell
Duncan the wonder dog
>>
>someone says "tranny"
>Tumblr gets triggered
>"You can't say that!"

>someone says "social justice"
>/co/ gets triggered
>"You can't say that!"

Lol, it's like /co/ and Tumblr are exactly the same.

Except that Tumblr gets triggered by real issues, since even in first-world nations transvestite/transgender/transsexual people can still wind up dead if they trigger some reactionary, and /co/ just gets triggered by meaningless fluff.
>>
>>80888148
I don't think it's possible, social justice issues in general are overjudged as tumblr garbage on /co/.
>>
this is a bad thread
>>
the question

neal adams green lantern green arrow

alot of green arrow

the invisibles

some parts of the sandman

transmetropolitan

hellblazer in some parts
>>
>>80889888
Yess the social commentaries in Hellblazer are just what I've been looking for.
>>
Habibi
>>
>ITT post comics people should avoid at all costs
nobody reads comics to learn about social issues, they read them for escapism. The line of thinking that media NEEDS to make a social statement is why all media today is the worst they've ever been.
>>
Stuck Rubber Baby
A Contract with God
A Life Force
Dropsie Avenue
>>
>>80889575
Here's your reply.
>>
Steven Universe deals with forbidden relationships (fusions of different kinds of gems) and sexual&gender identity (Stevonnie) in a very mature way.
>>
>>80890820
If you have difficulty understanding that not every person reads comics (or engages in any other activity) for the same reasons as you, then you might have legit non-meme non-buzzword autism.
>>
>>80890874
Steven Universe is the definition of Tumblr bait
>>
>>80888634

The thing about Maus that a lot of the people who tout it out as the best description of the Holocaust possible is that it actually doesn't make the jews out to be that good. Sure it doesn't exactly try to justify getting rid of them, but Art's dad is very clearly a complete wreck of a person at best and a total piece of shit at the very worst. Maus isn't so much about the holocaust as it is Art coming to terms with his fucked up family, with his father telling his story as a sort of plot device. And the story his father tells really debunks the "noble innocents persecuted by evil nazis" narrative that surrounds the holocaust. Most of the jewish characters are two-faced, backstabbing, cowardly, overall terrible people who can't even band together and show each other some solidarity in the face of a massive existential threat, instead throwing each other under the bus for personal gain right up until the very end.

In the Shadow of No Towers is also a great read, it's Art dealing with 9/11 and the resulting fallout as a New Yorker. There's no real message or virtue, just a confused, upset, scared man trying to work out what happened to his world.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.