[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I like the "calarts" style. I think its cutesy, emites
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (330 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
330 KB, 1920x1080
I like the "calarts" style. I think its cutesy, emites emotion, and is more comedic then alot of other art styles. I wont deny that it is overused in the industry, but anyone who says that it is unjustifiably bad has shittaste and needs to fucking kill themselves.
>>
>>80858578
Here's your reply.
>>
Like anyone cares...
This guy.
>>
>>80858578

I'd have no problem with it if every other cartoon on TV didn't use it.
>>
>shittaste
You know literally nobody else here does that besides you, right?
>>
>>80858971
Thats exactly what i just said, but im glad someone else feels the way i do on the matter.
>>
>>80858578
So I guess the "CalArts style" is big eyes, huge smiles, thin bodies, and a whole lotta cute.

I thought it was that Milt Kahl/Brad Bird style. It was started by Disney animators, after all.
>>
>>80859978
Oh good, we can hijack this thread to actually discuss animation styles instead of >coolopinion.jpg

I think what distinguishes the CalArts style from Kahl and Disney is a radical simplification of features. Eyes are circles, noses are lines, arms are noodles. Animators in this style also like to take advantage of the freedom this style affords to go off-model more often, inspired by anime influence, which adds emotion and compensates for the reduced detail of facial features.
>>
File: 1457149530195.jpg (130 KB, 470x352) Image search: [Google]
1457149530195.jpg
130 KB, 470x352
>>80858578
>anyone who says that it is unjustifiably bad has shittaste and needs to fucking kill themselves.

Way to completely ruin any point you were trying to make.
>>
>>80860020
I think they draw characters like that, because they're easy to draw, they can focus more on developing the settings, personalities and stories.
>>
>>80860099
It doesn't need to be a zero-sum game, especially with modern animation tech and tweeners.

Saying that they use the style *because* it's easier to draw is bait.
>>
>>80859978
There's traditional animated feature film CalArts style, IE: Disney, and there's modern day TV animation CalArts style, IE: Gravity Falls.

More and more graduates are getting a tv show almost right out of college, so the TV style is kind of hijacking the term "CalArts" style. Whereas before, you could actually still be a 2D animator in the states with Warner Brothers, Disney, Don Bluth, Dreamworks, etc. But since 2D films are dead, there is no reason to be drawing like Don Bluth now other than personal interest. You sure as hell aren't going to get a TV show done in that style, so that style has kind of died down.
>>
>>80860140
Don bluths style was shit anyways, no lose there. I do wish a renassance of 2D animated films comes along soon, though.
>>
>>80860140
>You sure as hell aren't going to get a TV show done in that style, so that style has kind of died down.

The 'current' Cal Arts style is one of making it cheaper, lack of detail, digital animation friendly.

I like the style, but it's a race to simplification in 2d animation today (again in order to keep it cost efficient vs 3d, the latter which will eventually engulf all animation).
>>
>>80860177

Eat shit.
>>
>>80860339
Make me bitch, it was ugly and retarded looking. You have fucking shittaste bitch.
>>
>>80860322
>the latter which will eventually engulf all animation
Not if i can fucking help it. What is the draw of inferior 3D trash, when 2D cartoons are infinitly more enjoyable?
>>
>>80860366
2D has an artistic, a purely artistic, charm to it. You can make things look and feel like watercolor, sketches come to life, oil paintings, etc. CG has the benefit of realistic believability and having things large in scale. Toothless looks fantastic in CG because of the detail of scale patterns, Judy Hopps feels like a real rabbit that you can reach out and pet--

Oh wait I'm talking to a shit poster. Nevermind.
>>
>>80860461
But i prefer that artistic look to it, i thought the point of animation was that things looked like moving drawings, not a stylized different reality. I may be a shitposter, but i can still have a meaningful conversation on the matter.
>>
>>80860524
>i thought the point of animation was that things looked like moving drawings
The point of animation was that inanimate objects moved to give the illusion of animation. Claymation, paper cut-outs, CG, hell there was that artist who made a short film using pin art and another who made an animated short using sand. None of these are drawings, but they're still animation.
>>
>>80860546
Good point, i guess im getting cartooning mixed up with animation. I just hope a renaissance of 2D cartoons comes back, or atleast that 2D cartoons dont die out completly.
>>
>>80860599
How's that cartoon you've been working on coming along?
>>
>>80860681
Pretty good, i got some ideas on paper, and alot of different story ideas and plots in my head. I just need a degree now......
>>
>>80860758
You're never too young to shitpost. Buy that shitty $80 animation software at Best Buy and get cartooning, son.

The only person in this world committed to your specific goals is YOU.
>>
>>80860835
Him and enough money for a team.
Unless you want to make an episode every 2 years.
>>
>>80860339
>>80860357
Calm down, ladies, you're both pretty.
>>
>>80860876
Worked out great for GF and SU
>>
>>80860835
Can you recomnd me some animation software/materials? I only draw in a drawing book from mmichaels, though i know ill have to learn how to draw using on a computor at somepoint.
>>
>>80860933
Toon Boom Harmony & Storyboard Pro
Sketchbook
Photoshop
>>
>>80860876
Who fucking cares if it's an episode every two years?

The point is *to be working on it.*

You don't grow from your accomplishments. You grow from the work you do to achieve them.

If you want traditional cartooning to die, the surest way to nail the coffin shut is to insist that animation only "counts" if it's a profitable business.
>>
>>80861098
Thanks senpai, and do you mean sketchbook as an add on to the name of a program, or are you referring to a normal sketchbook? Because i already have a couple of those.
>>
>>80861150
But i dont want traditional animation to die, infact i want to do the exact opposite.
>>
>>80858578
what emotion does that face convey?
>>
>>80861214
Then don't worry about the business or the turnaround time. Focus on learning the craft and working on it. Every day, working on it.

Put in the hours and lead the next generation of traditional cartooning.

What they don't tell you when they're recruiting you to schools and hiring you to businesses is that your personal improvement isn't about results, it's about the effort that gets you there.
>>
>>80860357
I can't believe there are people who are this fucking lame.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.