[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oddly enough, this show made me appreciate my Christian upbringing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 500x250
Oddly enough, this show made me appreciate my Christian upbringing. I don't feel as estranged from it anymore. What were your reactions?
>>
>>80857654
I thought it was a pretty great show.
Kind of like how they went for making bad parenting/families the big evil thing to criticize, rather than go fedora on religion, which, based on a lot of earlier episodes, is what I was expecting.
Also, it really surprised me how much detailed an overarching plot they put into it.
>>
>>80858767

The show was never meant to be a potshot at religion. It's more about the hypocrisy of authority figures who've done nothing to deserve their authority.
>>
>>80858842
I always thought it was more of just showing how some people have skewed values more than anything about authority figures. I still don't get why so many on the board think it is about religion though when it was never the direct thing criticized in episodes.
>>
>>80859118

>I still don't get why so many on the board think it is about religion

Because it is, in an indirect way, about religion - or at least the kind of religious people who pay lip service to the ideals of God and the Bible while being horrible fucking people otherwise (see: Clay).
>>
Considering the ending, religion was not the issue. Love was, or rather the absence of it.
>>
>>80859160
Yeah I got that but like I said it was never really a direct cause of things since the people themselves were idiots who would do the same for something not religious while normal people like Orel, his grandfather, and possibly his two "brothers", all ended up well enough while still having it in their lives.

>>80859190
That is a good point, it was obvious with clay and everyone he was involved with but it seemed to be the driving point for most people's problems.
>>
At what point did this show really begin to hit you?

For me it was season 3 episode 4, when the bland hot nurse character who I had never given a second thought to and had up until then acted only as a necessary prop for raunchy humor turned out to not only be an actual character with a life and struggles but also "dumb" and likely being taken advantage of.
I don't know if her teddy bear husband falling on her like that and spilling milk on her face was intended to only be a gag and not meant to invoke any kind of serious emotional response, but goddamn it hurt so fucking bad.
>>
>>80857654
I loved the one where he runs around with a mayonnaise pistol, knocking bitches up in the name of the holy spirit. That was some funny shit right there. I also agree it's more a dig against the hypocrisy of unworthy authority figures than against regular christians. Kid just tries to do right within the moral framework he's provided with.
>>
>>80859284

Like pretty much everyone else, it was either "Nature" or the first episode of Season Three with the Mountain Goats song.
>>
>>80859284
nope, that whole scene with the teddy bear was symbolic.
>>
>>80859248

And when they chose love over their other issues, things got better for them.

But oh, that ending of 'Sundays'...
>>
>>80859284
>goddamn it hurt so fucking bad.

Me, too. "Not you too!!"
>>
>>80859315

>And when they chose love over their other issues, things got better for them.

To wit: Reverend Putty.
>>
Obligatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRP6egIEABk

Funny, I am a huge 'Jack' fan, but no arc of that comic - set mostly in Hell - ever painted a picture so brutally painful as the marriage scenes in this show.

But then, in 'Jack' one of the plot points is that, even in Hell, there is hope.
>>
I like to think Orel and Butters from South Park would get along.
>>
>>80859284
My favorite episode was when Rev. Putty goes on a date with Stephanie.

I was going through some shitty things in life and it really did make me appreciate the people in my life.

Never thought a show like this could get me like that.
>>
>>80857654
>I have an imaginary friend and a show about how stupid that is made me feel better about it
>>
>>80863085

>le edgy memepost xD
>>
I dunno, I've never been really religious, and I don't think anyone in my family is - except for my aunt and uncle who are prods - but I could really relate to the show. I think I'm kinda similar to Orel. I don't mean that I'm a good kid, far from it. But I think I have a messed up family too.

And hey, if Orel managed to get away from his family, maybe I've got a chance.
>>
I just thought it was amazingly written.

That's about it.
>>
I don't know why people seem to think this is a good Christian show. Most of the rational characters like the goth girl and Orel's grandpa are not Christian. And the reason the town is so fucked up to begin with is Christianity enables their shitty behavior.
>>
>>80867087
http://youtu.be/YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
season 3 has no bad episodes and season one except for s1e10 was kind of boring my second watch. I cried like a bitch on half of season 3, especially the opening. and the season 2 finale was fucking amazing. easily my favorite show ever
>>
>>80867213

Putty was a good person, at least.
>>
File: Do I really wanna do this.png (36 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
Do I really wanna do this.png
36 KB, 321x322
Did Clay really deserve what he got in the end?
>>
>>80867213
It's not pissing on Christians, it's pissing on midwestern fundamentalist bible belt insanity. Of course, in the midwestern fundamentalist bible belt, there is no such thing as a moderate or liberal christian because the culture is so incredibly paranoid, authoritarian, and tribalist that they do not allow any deviation. The jibes are clearly meant for that one particular brand of christianity instead of christianity on the whole, especially considering that scene where Orel's scratching his head with the bible while wondering 'if there's other things that people misinterpret'.
>>
>>80863085
Eh, his reference to an 'estranged' relationship to a Christian upbringing leads me to think he no longer believes. Same story for me really, I have nothing but good memories of church life. Never abused, never mistreated, never got 'mad at God' over something. I'm openly atheist these days, and watching this show was watching exaggerated but very real examples of people I knew growing up.

> that scene where Orel's scratching his head with the bible while wondering 'if there's other things that people misinterpret'.

My childhood in a nutshell.
>>
>>80867413

he deserved even more, he had a shitty life but didn't care about anyone other than himself, he was a selfish kid to the end.

I know there were plans for a forth season but I liked how it ended, because there was no way to safe Orels family, it was broken to the core and thats it, it didn't turn Orel into a shitty person though. I would've liked to see more about the other characters though, but I think it could be easily ruined with a next season.
>>
>>80867254
I AM DROWNING
>>
>>80870094
THERE IS NO SIGN OF LAND!
>>
>>80867413

Yes. Absolutely. He barely cared about his wife, emotionally abused Orel, gave no fucks about either of Orel's "brothers", and talked about how he was such a great Christian despite being the second biggest asshole in Moralton. (Top prize goes to Ms. Censordoll.)
>>
>>80867213
Orel's granddad didn't become a good person until much later in his life anyway, it doesn't have anything to do with his atheism. It took time for him to realize his own faults and his mistreating of Clay
>>
What is the best song from the show? I'm inclined to Love Love Love, but that is mostly because of the great episode it was in
>>
File: moralorel_cc_035_pt2-03.jpg (84 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
moralorel_cc_035_pt2-03.jpg
84 KB, 1080x608
If Old Gunny wasn't loaded how did it make a sound?
>>
Some years back adultswim had a Halloween special thing and announced there'd be some more Moral Orel episodes. This was after S3 ended. Did anything ever come of that?

I know they planned for S3 to be a few episodes longer, resolving stuff like that teacher who self aborted and tying off their character arcs, and I assumed that's what the extra episodes were going to be. But I haven't heard anything since then.
>>
>>80872743
It was just Beforal Orel. There was a chance that it'd turn into another series, but it didn't.
>>
>>80857654
at first i was like
>oh here we go, more fedora
except that wasnt a term back then, but yknow
then i was like
>oh this is fucking good satire. i can laugh at most of this. i'm only pissed at about a tenth of it. a fifth max.
then it got all dark and i was just like
>oh fuck this it's not fun anymore.
>>
>>80857654
>What were your reactions?
First ep I saw was Grounded.

It spooked me and I fell in love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oid_GoTqvxA
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.