[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>serious reboot >never call the hero by his comic book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 12
File: Angry Man (8).jpg (45 KB, 350x280) Image search: [Google]
Angry Man (8).jpg
45 KB, 350x280
>serious reboot
>never call the hero by his comic book name except ironically
>>
>call hero by name ironically at first, then it sticks and the use it straight from then on

I like it this way.
>>
File: bravosinger.jpg (35 KB, 736x626) Image search: [Google]
bravosinger.jpg
35 KB, 736x626
>>80793187
It's been 16 years and I'm still butthurt.
>>
File: almost enjoying my anger.jpg (51 KB, 245x204) Image search: [Google]
almost enjoying my anger.jpg
51 KB, 245x204
>>80793187
>they say the superhero name
>say it's stupid
>becomes a running joke about how it's stupid
>>
>>80793187
Whoa, check out Doctor Doom over here
>>
>Not using the hero's comic book name as the movie's title.
>>
File: JJJ Feels Good Man.jpg (10 KB, 300x233) Image search: [Google]
JJJ Feels Good Man.jpg
10 KB, 300x233
>>80793319
>superhero name in the first movie
>second movie uses their nickname
>>
The Devil of Hell's Kitchen
>>
>>80793399
what episode? i'm on 5 so far
>>
>>80793399
>>
>spend most of the season calling him by his not-name
With The Streak and The Vigilante doing so well, I can't wait for It's a Bird Girl.
>>
>>80793282
why would he even bring up yellow spandex in-universe?
>>
>>80793399

I was okay with that because they were portraying him as a different kind of character then. Most people who knew about him thought he was the bad guy. Once he's the hero, they go with Daredevil.
>>
>>80794188
My main gripe was that The Man in The Mask and The Devil of Hell's Kitchen both sounded really clunky when used in dialogue.
>>
File: 1432426886505.jpg (66 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
1432426886505.jpg
66 KB, 380x380
>>80794147
>'The Red-Blue Blur'
>>
Shocker: Animated things look and sound weird as fuck IRL
>>
You wanna be a war machine?

You're just another weapon in his arsenal.

Curtis, you are... terrific.
>>
>>80794296
The latter really sounds like something the papers would plausibly make up though, so despite that I liked it.
>>
>>80796087
agreed. plus it actually sounds romantic
>>
The only person I can actually think of is Captain Marvel

Canonically, Technically, and Legally to a degree Shazam is still named Captain Marvel
>>
>>80795891
I recall the first one, and kind of liked it.
The second one sounds familiar, but I don't remember it.
What was the context for the second and third ones?
>>
File: fantfourstic reeds.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fantfourstic reeds.jpg
66 KB, 1280x720
Say that again.
>>
>>80793399
Yeah but with that one is he hasn't gotten his name yet.
>>
>>80796278
Christ it was amazing how forced and just shat in that was. They all looked like strangers who were awkwardly molested before the camera went on and were just uncomfortable with the whole thing.
>>
>>80796248
Last two are from Arrow. Forgot who it was that Roy was fighting who was trying to taunt him with that line.

Ollie calls Curtis terrific after he revealed the microchip that would make Felicity walk again.
>>
I remember how I hated how ang lees hulk just had that stupid throwaway line in it...
"He wanted me to change into that mindless hulk. Why would he want that?"

Then Incredible Hulk had him called The Hulk without shame and actually had him yell 'hulk smash'. And it was my first mcu movie cos i hadnt seen iron manyet and i remember thinking 'well shit this is like a comic book.'
>>
>>80793187
Why is Matt Stone yelling at that phone?
>>
>>80793187
>not understanding that a good portion of superhero names have zero reason to develop organically
>>
>>80796385
I know about Arsenal, but I don't watch arrow or know most of DC.
Is there some sort of Mister Terrific or something?
I also remember in Young Justice thinking it was funny how smug that guy was when he said "more like -broken arrow!- and since idgaf about spoilers my friend explained it to me.
I still think he sounded stupidly pleased.
>>
>>80794147
To be fair, they stopped using the Streak by the end of episode 6.

It's fucking sinful that it took them 4 seasons to call Ollie 'Green Arrow' though.
>>
>>80796278
>>80796330
What's the story with this one? I never saw it because... All the reasons
>>
>>80796483
I find it's generally the more obscure heroes/villains where the names sound clunky.

I mean, the names for the Justice League all make sense, at least.
Superman, it's obvious.
The Batman sounds like a mythical creature.
Wonder Woman sounds a bit cheesy but I could see the papers making that one up. I do prefer her to be called 'Diana' by other supers who know her, though.
'The Flash', because that's what he is to most people.
Green Lantern is literally the name of the organisation.
Aquaman; similar situation to Wonder Woman.
Martian Manhunter; I'll admit that I don't know where 'Manhunter' comes from here.
>>
>>80796692
It was so dumb, too. As soon as Merlyn showed up and the police are comparing a black arrow with a, get this, GREEN arrow, they should have just started using that as his nickname.
Then when Roy joins the team, call him the Red arrow. Easy shit.

That show makes some really fucking bizarre decisions, and this coming from a fan
>>
>>80796715
Well the second anon was just saying how awkward and awful the movie was.
Literally the term "hamfisted" and worse.
But at the end when the team is in their lab or whatever The Thing says "wow it's fantastic"
and Mr.Fantastic says "say that again" and The Thing repeats himself. Neon signs would have made it less obvious.
They also had young Thing's older brother bully him, starting off each pounding with "it's clobbering time"
And at some point just to slide another hint at the audience (more subtle, though harsh and out of character) Human Torch calls him "The thing nobody loves" or something to that effect.
If I'm not mistaken, >>80793316 is also in the movie, said to the obvious person.
>>
>>80796784

If the media just started referring to him as Aquaman, wouldn't that be like a racist slur?
>>
>>80796784
At the very least they could've said "the blur"
"the streak" is just too close to sounding filthy somehow.
>>
>>80796715
Okay let me throw it out for yah blow by blow
>Reed richards is child genius who meets a young ben grimm
>now theyre teens and Reed builds a mini teleportation device and shows it off at a science show
>it works but he doesnt know where the shit he teleports go. homer simpson his teacher thinks is bullshit but Sue storm and her black dad are there and think its real
>Reed learns the shit he teleports is going to another dimension and is given spot on sue storms black dads genius baxter building project thats there to build a machine to let people travel to this other dimension astronauts style
>reed richards begins working on it after moving into the baxter building leaving ben grimm behbind cos hes just a dumb thug. Sue storm is there as well
>OH i forgot. the reason ben grimm got the line 'its clobberin time' is because his fucking brother used to say it to him before beating him up. its what he heard when being hit as a child
>so anyway Sue storms black dad brings in johnny storm for his mechanical engineering skills
>for some reason johnny storm has no goddamn personality and is nothing like the character from the comics even though the actor coulda done it. but bad writing
>they need another genius so they bring in victor von doom who is a late 20s early 30s internet dweller anti authoritan douche bag. no latveria, no royalty. just some guy
>they eventually get it to work and evil government man tells them they will now send real astronauts on the mission (LIKE ANY GOVERNMENT WOULD COS THATS WHAT ASTRONAUTS ARE FOR. THE SCIENTISTS WHO BUILT THE SHUTTLE DIDNT GO INTO SPACE FIRST)
>while getting drunk reed, and doom, and johnny are all bitchy about their lot in life and decide to drunkenly (i shit you not) go on their own, so reed calls ben cos he wants him to come

-cont next pos
>>
File: 1446659090930.gif (2 MB, 643x539) Image search: [Google]
1446659090930.gif
2 MB, 643x539
>>80794401
>>
>>80794179

He simply pulled those examples out of the air at random. And he wanted them to be vastly different examples of what they were presently wearing

Instead of black, he picked a color that was bright.

Instead of leather, he went with a vastly different type of material.
>>
>>80796870
Presumably he'd start operating before people knew that Atlantis was a thing.

After he's revealed to be a king, I guess that the nickname would stick in the tabloids.
>>
>>80796878
>ben grimm drives up and they get sue storm to sit at a computer like a good girl who isnt allowed to do dangerous stuff so the fantastic 3 and doom suit up and transport in the machine to the other dimension
>so theyre in this faggy boring dimension and instead of just going 'wow this is nice lets take some soil samples and peace the fuck out' they begin wandering around like the retards they are
>they climb down a cliff cos fuck it and find a river of glowing dangerous looking green goop. so of course they fucking touch it
>it erupts and they try to escape and it splatters up and gets anonymous doom
>the other fantastic three get into their interdimensional transport whatever but before they can transport back theyre hit with green goo energy. with johnnys setting him on fire in a little explosion, and ben being hit by rocks, and reed being hit by..........i dunno bubble gum or something who knows. then the wave travels into our dimension and hits sue storm back at the base while shes no doubt ironing the mens work clothes while waiting for the roast to get done
>so theyre back now and they got stupid powers that are represented in some horrifying cronenbergian body horror fashion (which despite being nothing like the fantastic four was maybe the one cool thing in that whole movie)
>reed richards stupidly escapes after promising to help the thing after slipping out of his cell through a vent (i dont know why he runs away but whatever)
>cut to a year later (seriously....they skip the learning to use their powers shit and just cut to a year later. this is over halfway into the movie)
>the thing is now a military flunkie, johnny storm flies around and doesnt act, and sue storm has decided to alternate between her normal hair and a bad fucking wig
>reed richards is on the verge of solving the problem when he gets captured by the thing and they send more astronauts to the other dimension
-cont
>>
>>80796998
>the astronauts find DOOM who is now a hobo covered in flattened soda cans and a spraypainted anonymous mask and bring him back
>but OH NO hes madcrazy i guess. And he (im serious) walks out of his cell making everyones heads violently explode. Bursting and popping causing their blood and brains to splatter against the walls behind them (this is in a fantastic four movie. im not making this up this happens)
>he says 'rarghh im all about being alone so im gonna kill this world by making a giant blue beam shoot out of my dimension (because he has what i assume are reality warping power now) so he can destroy our world that way he will be the only living being remaining in both worlds. this is his motivation
>reed richards despite being confused decides he cant let this happen and teams up with the other sullen boring fantastic four after sue storms black dad is murdered by doom before he returns to the other dimension
>the F4 travel to the other world (sans the things pants for some reason) and fight doom in the most confusing boring ugly and shitty looking battle i have ever seen. It is somehow worse than the doom fight at the end of the previous fantastic four film.
>they realize they can only do this together and accomplish their goal by having reed jump at doom distracting him while a made invisible thing runs up yells the thing his big brother used to say before abusing him and punches doom. he just punches him
-tb cont
>>
>>80797134

>then johnny shoots fire at something...rocks i think. i dunno doom asplodes and everyone is sucked back into their dimension and the day is saved
>so back on earth they get some cushy govment contract and we end with that fucking scene while they all stand around awkwardly in their new base and i shit you not, while trying to figure out a name johnny storm suggests " How about two guys, a girl, and The Thing that nobody wanted?"
>and its horrible. its like really fucking hurtful and the thing doesnt like it. and they have barely spoken before this, theres no witty funny banter rivalry set up. It just comes out of nowhere without a lick of humor in it. I mean the thing hates being what he is. he isnt the 'damn them yancy street boys' thing we know. There isn't any playfulness between them. so the comment is just awful and seems like a nasty fucking thing to say and nobody laughs I dont even think Johnny Laughs.
>and then someone suggests fantastic four or some shit and you realize that throughout the entire film that should have been about the building of familial bonds between this group there isnt even one singular scene in which sue storm and ben grimm so much as look at one another and speak TO one another.
> the credits roll and you feel your soul go cold and waxy with regret
and that is the story of F4nt4stic
>>
>>80797134
I really think Fox is intentionally doing this so that in 20 years when Marvel gets the rights back audiences will be primed to NEVER EVER see anything that has Dr. Doom in it. gj playing the long game, Fox.
>>
>>80797208
Maybe fox just only has hate in its heart now. I think maybe its that.
>>
File: 1438731093540.png (101 KB, 356x438) Image search: [Google]
1438731093540.png
101 KB, 356x438
>>80796836
I saved these in bulk and now I have the oppurtunity to post one.
>>
>>80797516
You're the hero we need anon.
>>
>>80796278
This guy was fucking amazing in Whiplash but I don't even need to watch this to tell that he was miscast.
>>
>>80796692
The Arrow sounds a lot cooler than Green Arrow
>>
File: Ninja-Gaiden-Haha.jpg (11 KB, 499x235) Image search: [Google]
Ninja-Gaiden-Haha.jpg
11 KB, 499x235
>>80796330
>They all looked like strangers who were awkwardly molested before the camera went on
Holy fucking shit lmao

I didn't see the film but that is exactly how I view all of the marketing material.
>>
>>80793187
>reboot hero
>powers are shit or void because it's "unrealistic"
>>
>>80797285
FOX is pure evil, we already knew that.
>>
>>80796784

The Avengers name all work just as well. I actually don't know what a "Hulk" is though
>>
>>80798920
Dictionary defines it first as a heavy, clumsy ship, and secondly definies it as 'one that is bulky or unwieldy'. You might've heard it used as an adjective. A 'hulking' brute'.
>>
File: 1392123683046.jpg (185 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1392123683046.jpg
185 KB, 720x540
>character gets a more "practical" costume redesign
>shits on the classic design, implying that it was too silly or ridiculous

"What would you prefer, yellow spandex?"
>>
Remember that time Bruce Campbell told Peter Parker his idea for a hero name sucked?
>>
>>80799567
I still think if they let raimi do the third movie how he wanted to and not shove in venom there woulda ben a fourth spider-man movie and bruce campbell would have been mysterio.
>>
>>80797198
Apparently the dude wanted to make a horror thriller movie and half way through FOX was like "no don't, don't do that" and then the director got all pissed off that he couldn't complete his vision so he shit talked the movie on Twitter. I mean a horror F4 sounds kinda cool, I don't know anything about them but whatever.
>>
>>80793187
Sounds like man of murder
>>
>>80793187
I hate that shit.

If the movie can't even invest in itself, then why should the audience?

It's just the sign of a hack writer that thinks they're too good to be writing this movie and are bitter that they're totally deep movie based on their life story was rejected by everyone.
>>
File: image.png (274 KB, 544x309) Image search: [Google]
image.png
274 KB, 544x309
>Superman sounds bland, how about Super Dude.
>Gnarly name Braaaah
>guitar squeal
>>
File: ....png (98 KB, 283x674) Image search: [Google]
....png
98 KB, 283x674
>Super hero known for wearing a mask.
>Movie version keeps taking their mask off.
>>
>>80799567
The joke was that Campbell was an idiot. It's the opposite of what we're complaining about.
>>
Reminder that they do actually call Clark Superman in MoS outside of Lois' Super- scene
>Sir Superman is moving to meet them
>Who?
>The alien sir, thats what theyre calling him
>>
>Flag-waver
>Big green guy
>Looks at superhero costume and sulks
>Only implied to fly because Netflix budget
>>
>>80802669
That's why fuck Ironman and praise Dredd.
>>
>>80799567
The Human Spider was pretty bad.
>>
>>80796784
Manhunter comes from him being a detective.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.