[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the American/Canadian children's cartoon industry really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: UBgkEyX1.png (79 KB, 1593x417) Image search: [Google]
UBgkEyX1.png
79 KB, 1593x417
Is the American/Canadian children's cartoon industry really this bad?
>>
>>80634985
Yes
>>
>>80634985
you have two choices
slavery or unproductive industries under unions
>>
>>80636347
I pick slavery
>>
>>80636801
So bad cartoons, or bad cartoons and you personally suffer and make no money, and you pick the latter. What a maroon.
>>
>>80636801
You wouldn't if you actually had to do it. It might be worth it if you were working on stuff you loved but in reality it's going to be awful drek that you are getting paid minimum wage to work on (if you're lucky, I've known a few places that used a commission style model where you are paid per second of completed animation and no, you don't get paid for the revisions you have to make).
>>
>>80634985
>No stress
>No restrictions
>No expectations
No budget, no access to the same resources, no team

Fuck, wish this guy wasn't such an apologist. If big budget studios shit out worse cartoons than one dude then what's the point of big budget studios?

The fact of the matter is that plenty of good cartoons have been made under CN before. Therefore any excuse that could be made is redundant. Especially with a property like this.

>expectations make something bad
hue. He already listed stress.
>>
>>80637272
True true.
>>
>>80637272
He's an apologist because he wants to be an animator, which means not burning his bridges.
>>
>>80638463
Understandable. Still frustrating however.
>>
>>80637272
There have been other amazing cartoons made by single people, look at Lloyd the Rockin' Unicorn.

Those episodes used to be done in a month.
>>
>>80638547
I'm unsure what you're trying to imply.
>>
>>80638592
I'm saying he's not the first to outdo studios on his own.

Cartoon Drive-Thru and Lloyd the Rockin' Unicorn are essentially one man teams, and their production quality MATCHES that you see on network television.
>>
>>80634985
Yes
>>
>>80634985
The problem is that like American cape comics there's not only a very small funnel of distribution (television) but most American big-budget animation studios are under a LARGE corporate umbrella that's all but established a monopoly of the platform that reaches a very wide audience.

And in order to reach this large amount of people and satisfy suits you need to have a big budget to do so. This shuts a lot of smaller enterprises out of mainstream TV.

The problem of course is that when a monopoly is established you can pump out complete horseshit and since that's the only thing most people know or care about nobody complains.

All of this bitching about budget and deadlines would already be taken care of when you take animated series out of the standard television model.

Hopefully we'll see a trend more towards somewhere like Netflix-based TV, where smaller creators and riskier/more niche premises can have a fighting chance.

The above also applies to animated movies in the US, too. But hopefully you already knew that.
>>
>>80637272
Some resources. Some team. Technically.

Yeah, he animated it alone (which is awesome). But the music and the dialogue were already mixed. Writing and acting were done. And, because he's just redoing it, the sequence was storyboarded and directed for him so he didn't have to do any of that.

All that is months of work that was done by other people. Shit work or not, it's still a fuckton of man hours.
>>
>>80634985

oh wow, and you guys make fun of Korean slaves
>>
>>80638633
But not in terms of output as well.
>>
>>80642850
yeah this
the fact of the matter is that a solo animator cannot outdo a studio under the same conditions
>>
>>80642850
But the sound work, voice acting especially was fucking terrible also.

Not to mention that the work of an equipped and budgeted animation team is not effected by a sound in a way that would excuse the end product, speaking on a purely animation level. A solo internet animator should not be able to outdo a paid animation team so thoroughly. It isn't even a question of skill or talent. It's literally just because of cutting corners.
>>
>>80634985
Ye
>>
>>80634985
its kind of true that the artists have to work much faster than they should
but most of a shows animation quality comes from comes from being on the same wavelength as the storyboarders
thats why classes stress a detailed board

but this reboot was bad right from the get-go with its design changes and lack of knowledge in why the originals appeal stood out
>>
>>80634985
Yes
at least where not at Japans level yet
>>
>>80644731
>A solo internet animator should not be able to outdo a paid animation
under the same conditions and budget and deadlines, they cannot
>>
>>80645162
Then the way cartoons are being made is simply wrong.

But the fact of the matter is that other shows have. Easily. You act as if every cartoon to ever come out of a big budget studio is on the same level as PPG. Therefore: They can.
>>
what clip is he talking about?
>>
>>80645162
Let's get real.

The new PPG looks god-awful not because of strict deadlines and meager budgets, but because their stylistic choices are just plain awful.

It deserves the criticism it gets. The PPG reboot is not the best possible product given the circumstances it was created under. Others have demonstrated that it's possible to do better with even less.
>>
>>80645213
This is true, I'm not defending the reboot, I'm just showcasing the reality of how production works

The guy who did the "redo" said it himself and I agree with him: the work he did was not equal to that of a studio, regardless of what show. He had the vast majority of the work laid out for him and no deadlines or stress to worry about. The clip was only 40 seconds and that took him a whole month.
>>
>>80645162
Do you think that guy spent more money making his clip than CN spent making theirs?
>>
>>80645307
Considering Cartoon Network already paid people to produce the clip and he's just piggybacking off of their work, not at all
The only reason he "spent less" was because the money was already spent on the vast majority of the work needed.

It's like saying your buddy Darrell could build a house with no money just because he fixed your garage for free
>>
>>80634985
>Is working professionally and getting paid really this bad?
>>
>>80634985
Can you post the thing that he is referring to or what he did?
>>
>>80645359
Even taking out writing (which is shit), voice acting (which is shit), and storyboarding (which I have no opinion on), I'm sure CN spent more.

Though I'm not sure why you'd include the above since it was purely an animation and stylistic comparison. It's like talking about the upholstery in a car when talking about the engine's performance
>>
>>80645207
>>80645384

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9dZrInV9hM
>>
>>80645384
>>80645420
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUXprMizqIs
Original for comparison.
>>
>>80645405
No shit, I'm already saying that CN spent more
they're the ones who have to spread a budget over an entire season's production
All Pep had to do was re-do the backgrounds and the animation, things that he achieved in a month's work solo

If working FROM SCRATCH, with nothing, a solo animator cannot output at the same speed as an entire team, no matter the end product.
Can one achieve something equal or greater from scratch? Yes, but it will take significantly longer
This is all he's trying to say in the OP
>>
>>80645473
No one's asking him to redo the entire series
They're asking why the paid team made such a shit product with terrible stylistic choices
>>
>>80634985
Translation:
"I DIDN'T MEAN TO INSULT YOU ANIMATION INDUSTRY. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HIRE ME. IT WAS JUST A PRANK BRO."
>>
>>80645524
>No one's asking him to redo the entire series
I have seen many comments suggesting he do this exact thing

And that's something you need to take up with the production leads, not the individual artists on a production
Much like how a bad director can make a good actor perform worse, if the person calling the shots over a certain area of production isn't making the right calls, that's their fault.
>>
>>80645638
That's because kids don't understand how a one man team with all the time in the world vs big team of different artists collaborating to make something together under budget works, that's just how people think just from face value, not behind the scenes.

With that said, the big team company still has no excuse for shitting over something that was managed before with no problem, and it's clearly lazy incompetence and shouldn't be defended/justified. That's the main point here.
>>
>>80645697
and I'm not defending it, what I've seen so far hasn't made me optimistic
>>
>>80636347
Bugger off
>>
>>80636934
Bugs, what exactly IS a maroon anyway?
And whats a schlemiel, too?
>>
>>80646430
Maroon is a joke, exaggerated pronunciation of moron, he says maroon just to be silly.

Schlemiel is a Jew word meaning a hapless, unlucky idiot.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.