[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any shows in which the Father is actually smart and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
Are there any shows in which the Father is actually smart and has an overall, good relationship with the rest of the family?
Something like King of the Hill.
Just real tired of the father-figure is a dope trope.
Where the hell did it spawn from anyway?
>>
>>80557540
>Where the hell did it spawn from anyway?
Do you seriously need to even ask? Ok, I'll say it because it probably slipped your mind. The Simpsons.

Anyways, there's a few I can think of. Bob's Burgers actually has Bob portrayed as a reasonable person. Steven Universe has a hard working dad who gets along with his son.
>>
This might be cheating but PPG's Professor Utonium is a pretty great Dad.
>>
>>80557590
Funny thing about that, I've never watched an episode of the Simpsons.
Really though? I thought that cliche predated the simpsons.
>>
>>80557590
Your smug condescension is pretty funny, because the simpsons cribbed it from the fucking flintstones, who took it from the honeymooners.

Be less of a prick next time, maybe
>>
File: Dad_(1995-2000).jpg (30 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Dad_(1995-2000).jpg
30 KB, 600x450
This has always struck me as the picture of the modern dad. He acts goofy and clueless and presents himself as the butt of the family's joke, but he's hard-working, far more smart and perceptive than he ever lets on (unknown to his kids, he's "a boring old scientist"), and has a bit of a mischievous streak.
>>
>>80557610
You might be able to say Fred Flinstone but the connection was loose for the most part. He wasn't portrayed as that dumb or incompetent. There's little bits and pieces here and there but it never had that huge sway on the overall trend of things the Simpsons did. Flinstones pre-dates all those old sitcoms like Brady Bunch and Full House that portrayed families as perfectly functional and without much flaws.

It's pretty much post simpsons that shows got much more cynical about that kinda thing.
>>
>>80557667
Have you mever watched the flintstones? His whole schtick its the boisterous dummy who occasionally has a heart of gold. He thinks e is a grand schemer but constantly fouls things up, and has a much put upon, much more intelligent wife who picks up after him. If anything, Flintstones was MORE cynical than early simpsons.
>>
>>80557646
Look who's talking, dense motherfucker. Just because "thing" existed before something popularized it does not mean that The Simpsons did not create an absolute landslide of copycats that forms the basis of 95% of sitcoms to this day. You can't say remotely the same thing about The Flintstones or The Honeymooners.
>>
>>80557646
But can you really say that Flinstones started the trend? Yes, I thought about saying them. They do date back to the 60s and they were kinda a dope, though Barney was more the dope of the show than anyone else. And did it really influence the shows around it?
>>
>>80557540
>Just real tired of the father-figure is a dope trope.
>Where the hell did it spawn from anyway
It was the funny role reversal for the 40s and 50s dad knows best, ditzy housewife dynamic
>>
>>80557656
i remember him a lot but i can't for the life of me recall a thing about the mom other than germaphobia and dat ass. was she just bland?
>>
>>80557540
>>80557540
yeah that...uhh gunsmitcats authour did a sci fi manga damn cant rember the name of it now but kickass dad
>>
>>80557690
>You can't say remotely the same thing about the first ever animated sitcom or the most influential American sitcom of all time

You have to be over eighteen to post on this website.
>>
File: ProfMem.jpg (31 KB, 315x357) Image search: [Google]
ProfMem.jpg
31 KB, 315x357
>>80557540
This guy.
>>
>>80557954
She was. The parents were background characters.
>>
>>80557610
Before the Simpsons, the father in sitcoms was usually the level-headed anchor of the family that everyone went to for advice.
>>
It was the Jews.
>>
>>80561502
>good relationship with the rest of the family
No
>>
Modern writers are manginas raised from broken homes and endlessly blame daddy for their own failures on life
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.