[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: tmp_5080-19771371498926621.jpg (37 KB, 199x210) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5080-19771371498926621.jpg
37 KB, 199x210
Alan Grant's work on Batman is far superior to Grant Morrison's
>>
File: Yukon FUCKING Cornelius.jpg (22 KB, 369x336) Image search: [Google]
Yukon FUCKING Cornelius.jpg
22 KB, 369x336
>>80483610
Them's fightin' words
>>
>>80483682
Bring it
>>
Alan Grant was one of 90's DC biggest hits. Lobo, LEGION, The Demon, Anarky, and his Batman stuff are all great
>>
>>80483833
What are you defining as a big hit
>>
>>80483959
Good stories, something a cancerous tripfag such as yourself wouldn't understand.
>>
>>80484030
Do you understand not being an aggressive fuckhead for no reason?

A big hit is usually defined as something popular or successful and Lobo, LEGION and Etrigan don't seem like they'd be especially high sellers, even though they're all good. But you just want to be rude for no reason
>>
File: My body is fuckin' ready.jpg (10 KB, 139x176) Image search: [Google]
My body is fuckin' ready.jpg
10 KB, 139x176
>>80483752
Aight buckle up bitch.
>Disclaimer: I am a massive Morrisonfag, as I'm sure you will soon learn.

Grant is a good comic book writer. He delivered some solid Batman stories and created by my count two (2) memorable Bat-villains in Anarky and the Ventriloquist. That's good, that's great, I love me some Grant.

Morrison, however, delivered in his Bat-epic the greatest Batman run since Frank Miller, bar none (especially not Alan Grant). The Bat-epic combines the history of the character in a way that goes far beyond the traditional "dust off the old goofy character and make him new and gritty" pattern. It delves deep into the super-toxic atomic age stuff and pulls a bunch of ludicrous trash stories (aliens, mutants, magic, fucking Bat-Mite) into not just a cohesive whole (a major accomplishment in its own right), but a complex and forward-thinking story that serves as a thrilling tribute to the character's long history as well as a streamlining of it to now include some of the crazy stuff no one would have dared touch before. It's great.
Now let's talk about new characters. A lot of the characters Morrison introduced are forgettable background fodder for future writers to dig up if they choose, which is fine, but there are some integral bat-characters Morrison brought about that will be around decades from now. Chief among them, of course, is Damian, whose mere existence takes storytelling balls Grant (or, more fairly and plausibly, Grant's editors) simply didn't have. Damian is the best Robin since Dick (Timfags come at me), and his arrogant child assassin persona is not just refreshing in the way it creates actual interesting engagements between Batman and Robin for once, but irrepressibly fun in the way only comics can be. A smug-ass nine-year-old ninja killing machine? That’s awesome! (continued)
>>
File: Joker by Gmozz.png (563 KB, 342x799) Image search: [Google]
Joker by Gmozz.png
563 KB, 342x799
>>80484476

(continued)
The new villains were also excellent. Professor Pyg was great, Simon Hurt was a top-notch “manipulator” villain whose clever origin (“remember that nameless scientist from Robin Dies at Dawn?”) didn’t stop him from becoming a real mystery that was finally resolved in a satisfying, time-bending explosion of Morrisanity, and the Three Batmen of Nightmares gave the whole affair (the early parts at least) a sense of biblical dread.
Other "new" characters that Morrison revived from the dustbin of history to give new life (which I'll count as creating) include, among many others, the Batmen of All Nations. Those fuckups were great, and some, like the Chief Man-of-Bats, actually went from casually offensive stereotype to poignant story anchor (that Batman, Inc. story with him was teriffic).
And then there’s the Joker. For my money nobody writes the Joker better than Gmozz. Nobody. It started in Arkham Asylum way back when, but in this run Morrison really redefines the Joker in a way that is both an irrepressibly cool and eternally applicable fan theory (super-MPD) and a terrifying new version of a character that’s been re-introduced to death. The high-concept logic puzzles woven into the Joker’s speech actually pay off in the end, making his story thematically satisfying as well as endlessly entertaining.

I could go on. Bottom line is, Morrison’s Bat-epic is the tits, Grant’s run is just pretty good.
>>
>>80484476
>>80484506
Meh I prefer Alan Grant

He also created Zsasz btw
>>
>>80484307
Do you understand not being a tripfag for no reason?
>>
>>80484724
Shit, I forgot about Zsasz. He's dope.

Still, Morrison created/revived Flamingo, Doctor Dedalus, Lord Death Man, and a ton more. He killed the Spook, but fuck the Spook. He was lame.
>>
>>80484724

that's not really an argument. it's fine, though, you can prefer whomever you like. Alan is more of a classical storyteller. Morrison likes to wing it and experiment a lot of the time, which sometimes makes his pacing wonky, but also gives us amazing highs like the Jezebel Jet and Oberon Sexton reveals, Joker and Damian in an interrogation room, and the submarine Spyral episode in Inc.

for me it's Morrison all the way. sucks he did not have a great collaborator during the RIP arcs. Tony Daniel sure is bottom-tier abysmal.
>>
>>80484839
Think about how stupid 'tripfags don't understand gud stories' sounds as a detraction
>>
>>80484960
Everybody saw the Jezebel Jet reveal coming from a mile away
>>
>>80485121
oh absolutely. i should have elaborated it was the panel work (paneling?) of those couple of pages that was awesome.
>>
>>80485183
I agree. The red-and-black thing was top notch. That "NOW DO YOU GET IT!?!?" ending was maybe the best ending to any issue in Morrison's run in my opinion.
>>
>>80485278
yeah, that was classic. the end of the first issue of Batman & Robin was good, too, with Professor Pyg, but the Jett one was really topnotch stuff.
>>
>>80484960
Has Morrison ever had a 30+ issue run without getting saddled with an utterly garbage artist for at least a big part of it?
>>
File: ALAN.gif (880 KB, 500x268) Image search: [Google]
ALAN.gif
880 KB, 500x268
>>80483610
>>
>>80485558
maybe just Doom Patrol. i thought Case's art helped to enhance the story. however, subpar artists definitely screwed over some great scripted moments during his Batman, X-Men, and also The Invisibles.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.