[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Sentinels only ever used to kill mutants? If a government
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: A wild Sentinel appeared!.jpg (237 KB, 630x479) Image search: [Google]
A wild Sentinel appeared!.jpg
237 KB, 630x479
Why are Sentinels only ever used to kill mutants?
If a government is morally bankrupt enough to use them to genocide a minority, you'd think they'd be using them as drones to destroy all enemies in the Middle East or to opress their citizens.
They would also be very useful to use against non-mutant super-villains or against alien invasions, but they never do.
And why doesn't Hydra and AIM hijack these Sentinels for their evil purposes? Why doesn't Ultron?
>>
>>80476671
>If a government is morally bankrupt enough to use them to genocide a minority, you'd think they'd be using them as drones to destroy all enemies in the Middle East or to opress their citizens.
As that very sentence proves, it's bad press.
They try to run them for special ops every now and then, but it never works out, whether they're piloted or not.
>>
>>80476671
To be fair, the government probably views mutants as a bigger threat. I mean, when there are mutants as powerful as Apocalypse, Iceman, and Magneto running about who could fucking end the world or change humanity as we know it, it makes sense to use them against something they deem as a huge threat.

I mean, shit, Apocalypse technically DID change humanity in an alternate timeline, so in a way, yeah, that's one example of a mutant fucking shit up and justifying using sentinels against them I guess.

As for Hydra and AIM not hijacking them, I don't really know. Maybe they just don't wanna go through the trouble of doing it.
>>
>>80476671
because sentinels can detect mutant gen and thats the sole purpose on them, you have to remember not all mutants are like the xmen some of them are dangerous villians
>>
>>80476671
because the x-men/mutant universe should be serperate from the other superhero universe, or else you will ask why did FF or avengers not help in genosha, or why the other mutant massacres that only the x-teams deal with. the only time i recall anyone else helping was when quicksilver and crystals daughter was kidnapped, so the avengers helped rescue her
>>
>>80476774
>>80476785
I can understand the logic of using the Sentinels against mutants.
What I don't understand is the logic of ONLY using Sentinels against mutants and never use them for anything else.
>>
>>80476824
Because being a terrorist isn't detectable in your genes.
>>
File: 1687273-ff_fr_web.jpg (39 KB, 352x640) Image search: [Google]
1687273-ff_fr_web.jpg
39 KB, 352x640
>>80476671
would a Sentinel attack Franklin?
>>
>>80476845
im pretty sure there is something in your genes that shows you are middle eastern
>>
>>80476865
It would try.
And it would fail.
>>
>>80476845
Then just pilot them like you pilot a drone. Once you have intel, fly them to a location and have them destroy all enemies. Use them against specific targets.
>>
>>80476865
they would, unless franklin decided that sentinels cant detect him
>>
Have they been using Sentinels lately?
I can't say I've been sticking to X-Books very closely, but it seems that they've been showing up less.
>>
>>80476865
Yeah, but it would not end well.
>>
>>80476898
Because that's what superheroes are for.
>>
>>80476671
Other than the Wild Sentinel that blew up Genosha in the OP's pic, has any Sentinel ever managed to succesfully kill even one mutant?
>>
>>80476824
Why would anyone sign off on using the Sentinels to do something else when they can't even do the thing they were built to do?
>>
>>80476980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSJrD9VWPII
Show some respect.
>>
>>80477018
First of all, that's from a TV show, not comics. Second of all, he didn't really die anyway.
>>
>>80476671
They're often seen as part of the military deterrent complement of a nation, where they're owned by governments.

A lot of them - the one in the OP image included - are privately owned or at least controlled, and their activities are therefore defined by the whim of their private owners. In that case, killing most of the mutants in the world in one go because another mutant thought it would be cool.

When governments use them against mutants - at least when the US government or SHIELD does - they're used for specific capture and control operations, not search and destroy operations. Given their dismal track record it's not surprising they're not used for anything more complex or in a full war zone.

The non-fictional reason is: writers never really consider these things in detail.
>>
>>80476671
>Why are Sentinels only ever used to kill mutants?

Read Days of Future Past, eventually the Sentinels decide to hunt down all metahumans not just mutants

The reason most people stopped using them is because from their first appearance Sentinels have gone rogue. They are an AI designed to protect humans, and logically the see the enslavement of humans as the most efficient way to protect them.

Even Bolivar Trask, their creator, realized he fucked up by making them. he died in the Silver Age helping the X-Men stop Master Mold. It's just his family and followers have all been insane mutant haters while Bolivar just wanted to create a defense in case humans needed it
>>
>>80477116
Then just take down their AI and either make them drones or give them a new AI that forces them to obey all orders.
>>
The same reason they don't use pym particles to reduce waste or transport goods.
>>
>>80477689
God help you when you get complacent and a rogue AI infects your army of kill bots.
>>
>>80477689
Then came the pilot-able sentinels
But government assholes still put then to hunt mutants than something good
>Muties trying to help people in destroyed buildings
>Sentinel pilots go just to make sure the mutants dont use their powers for evil rather than using their big ass robots to help
Comic writers are just stupid.
>>
File: Pym particles.jpg (189 KB, 604x1598) Image search: [Google]
Pym particles.jpg
189 KB, 604x1598
>>80477766
Because of Hank Pym?
>>
File: Real world applications.jpg (681 KB, 1280x1993) Image search: [Google]
Real world applications.jpg
681 KB, 1280x1993
>>
>>80477689
>>80477868
Sentinels have been piloted at some point. Just after M-Day. Rhodes was the commander of the troup. They were still a bunch of anti-mutants assholes, though.
>>
I'm not an X-fag, I only know about sentinels from watching the cartoon as a kid. How were they supposed to be deployed?

I just remember from that one episode where Jubilee joins the X-Men, she's just hanging out in a mall when suddenly a Sentinel shows up and starts wrecking shit looking for her. Are they just supposed to go out and eradicate mutants? Capture them?
>>
>>80478118
It depends, sometimes they're made by the government, in which case usually they're meant to capture, and other times by hate groups, where their main function is to kill.
You'd think that the government would know better than to send robots to destroy shopping malls, the Congressional oversight committee might frown on that and reconsider the budget.
>>
>>80476899

This.
>>
>>80478319
>You'd think that the government would know better than to send robots to destroy shopping malls, the Congressional oversight committee might frown on that and reconsider the budget.

I'm not actually sure those exist in the Marvelverse.
>>
>>80478774
That would explain why they keep building more and more Helicarriers even though they always crash. Or get hijacked. Usually both.
>>
File: x23.jpg (191 KB, 700x1303) Image search: [Google]
x23.jpg
191 KB, 700x1303
In my head the Xmen exist in a seperate universe from the rest of marvel.

The Xmen dont make fucking sense when the rest of marvel is around
>>
>>80478937
they make perfect sense
>>
>>80478868

Or how Weapon X kept getting funded.
>>
>>80476671
I'm surprised that the Inhumans haven't gotten their own Sentinels yet
>>
>>80479365
Inhumans are better at politics and have a very good PR team.
Mutants are an unorganized mess with a disproportionate amount of villanous individuals that are a threat.
When was the last time an Inhuman villain killed a bunch of humans (or threatened to)?
>>
>>80476865

I could love a comic about a Sentinel attacking Franklin just to see Richards reaction and response.
>>
>>80479030
Canadians, man. Marvel Canadians made the most super soldiers of anyone, and currently are Earth's first line of defense against extraterrestrials in a different project
>>
>>80477943
source?
>>
>>80479574
Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. by Warren Ellis. It's a must-read.
>>
>>80479617
thanks, I have Nextwave on my backlog already
>>
>>80476813
>or else you will ask why did FF or avengers not help in genosha

Kang was busy blowing up Washington DC when Genosha was killed. A better question would be, where were the X-Men in both situations?
>>
>>80479472
Black Bolt has killed god knows how many mutants with a biological agent

Normally he'd get a medal for that but the M-Pox is apparently spreading to humans
>>
>>80480051
>Black Bolt has killed god knows how many mutants with a biological agent
>Normally he'd get a medal for that but the M-Pox is apparently spreading to humans
It hasn't spread to humans at all, humans are just paranoid fucks. And they're blaming mutants for it, because that's their knee-jerk instinct.
And since Scott Summers had the brilliant idea of attacking Attilan, all he did was make the Inhumans look better and the mutants look worse.
Crystal even weaponized this by staging Frenzy to attack a meeting she was having with some politicians.
>>
>>80478937
Russia in the Marvel Universe not only has two functional powered armor units in it's inventory but also a successful variant of the super soldier serum.
>>
>>80479522
If it had a fucking death wish
>>
File: mechximus.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1988) Image search: [Google]
mechximus.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1988
>>80479365
One of the main differences between the Inhumans and x-men is the attempts to be the better man. If one sentinel attacked any random Inhuman, the Inhumans would be at war with humans that night. Every time in the past the Inhumans avoided war with humans was because they didn't think they could win.
>>
>>80477943
Hank Pym really is a colossal fucking shitbird
>>
>>80480497
>a successful variant of the super soldier serum
The US does too, but it was wasted on a shit character that was quickly forgotten.
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Dio_(Earth-616)
Super soldier serum, healing factor, titanium coat, glasses that make him Hawkeye and guns that shoot Adamantium bullets.
>>
>>80480144
how do you know this? is this a leak? something that was revealed in an inhuman book?
>>
>>80482509
Scott having attacked the Inhumans was in extraordinary x-men. It is in every book that M-pox only hits mutants. Crystal having Frenzy fake a terrorist attack was in All new Inhumans.
>>
>>80482715
Thanks, I didnt know the Frenzy thing.
>>
>>80476671
>>80476739
>>80476774
>>80476824
>>80477104
>>80477952
>>80478319
In 616 North Korea maintains and produces large numbers of Mk3 Sentinels as part of their military.
>>
File: UltXMen85.jpg (103 KB, 700x1063) Image search: [Google]
UltXMen85.jpg
103 KB, 700x1063
FunFact:
Sentinels were created by a mutant.

That Trask guy had a kid who was a mutant (kid didn't know it though) and he basically had the same mutant abilities as the X-Men's Forge: he could build a machine to do anything he wanted. It's not hard to figure out how he never noticed this obscure type of mutant power wasn't just normal human smarts, or hard to figure out how this ended for him.
All Sentinels and their logic-defying abilities are based upon his original inventions.
Originally there was a very basic security measure hardwired into every Sentinel: they could not by action or omission of action allow harm to befall any human.
Of course, mutants aren't human. So mutant containment was the first logical action taken to ensure human safety from the mutant threat Sentinels were built to end once and for all. Other perfectly logical next steps came later.
That's why they originally couldn't ever be used against human villians.
They also have an adaptive ability (one of those Trask inventions) that lets them counteract any mutant powers if given enough opportunity... and computing time.
Basically Sentinels themselves evolve to defeat any mutant threat.
Even boy-god Franklin Richards was depicted as one of the first "Days of Future Past" mutants killed on-page by Sentinels. They had presumably found a way to counter even his mutant powers.
Think of them as a nuclear option that is understood to be dangerous in and of themselves, it'd take a real moron in the Whitehouse to push that button.
But they'll keep Magneto in line.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.