[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your opinions on The Mask >comic >movie >cartoon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 275x208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 275x208
What are your opinions on The Mask

>comic
>movie
>cartoon
>sequel
>>
>comic
8.5/10
>movie
10/10
>cartoon
9/10
>sequel
-10/10
>>
>>80407725
I saw the cartoon over fifteen years ago and only remember the guitar solo when it appeared the two teenagers (the mud monster and the fish).
>>
>>80407725
8/10
8/10
10/10
0/10
>>
Comic - 8.9/10
Cartoon - 10/10
Movie - 9.8/10

I refuse to acknowledge the existence that there was a sequel.
>>
>>80407725
>comic
Great dark humor
>movie
A different take on the character, but still a fun flick.
>cartoon
Don't remember much except that Walter was there, which had me giddy as a kid.
>sequel
LALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU
>>
>comic
Never read those.

>movie
A classic, though as a kid it was kinda boring to sit through the normal scenes. In no way perfect, but still good for a laugh

>cartoon
Had vague memories of it as a kid, watched some episodes on Youtube years ago... I laughed a lot! I definitely like how Stanley feels much more like a loser, as Jim Carrey was just too charismatic. I'd buy a DVD if it came out

>sequel
Not something I intend to sit through, at least not by myself and sober.
>>
>>80407725
He got me with his winning smile. He's a living lesson in flair and style.
>>
>>80409688
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mask-Animated-Series/dp/B000N01YGQ

This is probably the best we're gonna get.
>>
>>80407725
Haven't read the comic but the movie and cartoon were fucking great.
Never saw the sequel and don't intend to.
>>
>>80407725
Loved the movie and used to watch the cartoon all the time when it was on Cartoon Network back in the 90's. The cartoon is actually probably the reason why I dressed up as the Mask for Halloween one year.
>>
>>80407725
>comic
7.5/10
>movie
Jim Carrey was awosome. 9/10
>cartoon
for the nostalgia's sake 9.5/10. still remembering these drinking dynamite juice, pigs taking over the world and afterlife projection episodes.
>sequel
3/10. total let down. Wish it didn't happen.
>>
>>80410983
>tfw there is no Halloween tradition in our country and you can't be Mask in it.
>>
I found the cartoon fairly recently after the recent storytimes made me nostalgic for it. It was missing a few episodes but was otherwise complete.

but they have a different intro than the one I remember, I never remember seeing that intro before.
>>
>>80412315
A different intro was made for the show when it hit syndication, no idea why.
>>
>comic
Haven't read enough in the storytimes to comment.
>movie
Fun and the perfect role for Jim Carrey but the cartoon was better.
>cartoon
Best fucking thing ever. I wanted to be the Mask when I grow up. Still remember the opening.
>sequel
I thought it would actually feature the mask for more than two scenes in the movie. I always liked it when a different character would wear the mask and the different kind of powers they'd get. The biggest thing it proves is how good Chuck Jones cartoons are cause that was the highlight of the movie.

I really want to know what you think /co/, did Jamie Kennedy cuck himself?
>>
File: 1025.jpg (63 KB, 549x600) Image search: [Google]
1025.jpg
63 KB, 549x600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mO6N76b6PE

Better yet, if you don't want to sit through the intro:

https://youtu.be/7mO6N76b6PE?t=241
>>
>>80407725
>willing to read it
>10/10
>10/10
>SOILED IT
>>
"Yeah, I got to be Jim Carrey for a WHOLE lot less money."
-Rob Paulsen
>>
>>80407725
>Sequel
actually not THAT different than the first one. I mean, just try to rewatch the first one again, and try to not cringe.
>>
>>80407725
>comic
Decent dark comedy/horror.
>movie
Good.
>cartoon
Never seen it.
>sequel
Doesn't exist and nothing you do can prove me otherwise.
>>
>>80407725
Never saw the comic. First movie was VERY cliche. It had "90s movies syndrome" if you know what that is. Second movie was worse though.

Cartoon series was GOAT though. It was interesting, characters were great, Ipkis was actually a fantastic protagonist, continuity and villains were great too, and the Mask himself was genuinely funny.
>>
>>80414806
>90s movies syndrome" if you know what that is

No, i don't know what it is.
>>
Lobo Vs. The Mask was a fucking great read.
Two immortal guys trying to one up and kill each other makes for some great fun.
>>
>sequel

What are you talking about? There wasn't a sequel.
>>
>>80407725
I honestly thought the comic was terrible. For once, Hollywood making something lighter and softer actually made the concept work much better. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the sequel though.
>>
>>80415259
Not mired in post-9/11 melodrama and post-modern """"""wit"""""
>>
>>80407725
All good except sequel
>>
>>80407725
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCpnODXmGAY
Now don't tell me this isn't a good intro.
>>
>>80407725
I rewatched the movie yesterday after ages and i'm surprised with how many sex jokes and they got away with

>A fucking used condom
>"Kiss me, my dear, and I will reveal my croissant. I will spread your pate. I will dip my ladle in your vichyssoise"
>"And now, like Napoleon, I will divide and conquer"
>>
>>80415506
That's a good thing
>>
>>80415551

That cartoon was fucking baller.
>>
I'm not a fan in general. It's the "LoOk At HoW wAcKy AnD qUiRkY i Am xD" of the 90s.

The chick in the movie was hot tho.
>>
>>80407725

>comic
7.5/10

>movie
9/10

>cartoon
7/10

>sequel
why/10
>>
>>80415663
Cameron Diaz? Yeah, pretty attractive.
>>
>>80412315
i have been trying to find the bee guy episode for ages but haven't found it,wait,does kisscartoon have those episodes?
>>
>>80415663
too bad she is not as hot as back then anymore
>>
>>80413187
Did he really say that?
>>
CUBAN PETE
U
B
A
N

P
E
T
E
>>
>>80407725
I never read the comic, but it looks all right

Movie was pretty damn good.

Cartoon was decent, but I couldn't watch hours and hours of it. Better in small doses.

I watched Son of Mask in theaters, and I think our group was the only one there. It was pretty bad. Nothing is worse than an unfunny comedy.
>>
comic > movie >> cartoon >>>>>>>>>>>>> sequel
>>
What does jim Carrey do now?
>>
>>80417694
He became a crazy religious anti-vaccine nut.
>>
>>80417694
He starred in Disney's totally necessary 2009 Christmas Carol adaptation, as well as the critically acclaimed 'Dumb and Dumber To'. Both made a lot of money and were therefore good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_A_Christmas_Carol#Film
>>
>>80418586
>Dumb and Dumber To
That was the moment I realized his career was dead. He resisted doing a sequel to any of his films for two decades after the second Ace Ventura, then makes one and it's that shit.
>>
>>80412120
>tfw religion said Halloween is the devil's work, so we weren't allowed to go trick or treat

I feel your pain, bro. I feel your pain.
>>
>>80418586
I liked Christmas Carol desu
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 458x342) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 458x342
>Comic
They aimed for something different and pulled it off relatively well
>Movie
GOAT
>Cartoon
Better than the movie
>Sequel
Awful
>>
Loved the movie, it's one of my favorites.

Never read the comic, but I've thought about hunting it down.

Cartoon: Paulson took a bit of getting used to, but after that it was fantastic.

Sequel: never seen it, never want to.
>>
>>80407725
You guys think it would still be possible to make a movie based on the original style of the comics?
Originally, if I recall, they wanted to make it a horror comedy with Big Head becoming a new Freddy Krueger. But by now the family friendly image of the character has become more popular, so would it just be seen as an edgy reboot?
>>
>>80419520
>They aimed for something different and pulled it off relatively well
The comic was before the movie, just in case if I undertsood you correctly.
>>
>>80419520
>They aimed for something different
Nah, it was very much in the general zeitgeist of comics back then.
What I am intersted in however is how different the original "Masque" comic released in Dark Horse Presents was. Apparently it took on a political tone, if I'm reading the few reviews right. The creators of the concept then stopped that and retooled it into something that was more closer to how they intended it.
>>
File: Book Revue (8).jpg (262 KB, 1480x1080) Image search: [Google]
Book Revue (8).jpg
262 KB, 1480x1080
>>80407725
>The Mask
>>
I remember the cartoon having some really strange and wacky moments, but in a good way. How does the comic compare to it.
>>
>>80421613
oh shiiit
>>
File: mask1.jpg (2 MB, 2200x1646) Image search: [Google]
mask1.jpg
2 MB, 2200x1646
>>80407725
The Mask Comic is fucking rad. Go buy the omnibus.
>>
>>80416783
Yes.
https://youtu.be/nbbj01P96qM?t=2m7s
>>
File: team, assemble.jpg (722 KB, 1100x1649) Image search: [Google]
team, assemble.jpg
722 KB, 1100x1649
>>80422256
Also it does a good job balancing grittiness with absolutely off-the-wall cartoon style bullshit like pulling guns from nowhere or freeing all the animals from the zoo to recruit them as crime fighters.
>>
>>80415259
>>80415506
>>80415654
It's hard to explain but basically in the 90s and early 2000s there were a lot of movies that had extremely similar plots, character archetypes and dialogue. Really cheesy shit.

If you want a good idea, watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit and you should know what I mean.
>>
>>80407725
>Comic
I enjoyed it. I feel like it never reached its potential but it's good for what it was.
8/10

>Movie
Enjoyed it but it's your typical Jim Carrey flick
9/10

>Cartoon
For what I've seen, it's cool. Nice to see the movie version of the Mask fighting comic book characters like Walter
6/10

>Sequel
Fuck off. There isn't one redeeming quality about it
1/10
>>
>>80420558
>But by now the family friendly image of the character has become more popular, so would it just be seen as an edgy reboot?

Pretty much. The backlash of going back to its roots would be massive, and by the time people realize that's what he was originally, the reputation would already set in and nobody is going to watch it. It's bad enough Son of the Mask bombed, if they want to bring it back they'd need to play it as safe as possible.
>>
All I've known from the Mask are the comic storytimes that were recently on here and I'd say they're pretty good.

I have a feeling I'd consider the movie and cartoon a letdown in comparison.

Speaking of which, have there been any recent threads of that?
>>
>>80407725
>comic
8/10
>movie
8/10
>cartoon
Haven't seen it
>sequel
0/10
>>
Which version of the Mask is the most powerful? Who's the highest tier character he could beat?
>>
>>80415610
Those are all fairly tame. Have you spent your whole life in the Vatican or something?
>>
>>80424044
The Movie and Cartoon are completely different. They have a much heavier focus on comedy, but they're still pretty great. Just expect Woody Woodpecker rather than Freddy Krueger when watching.
>>
>>80427097
For a kid's movie i meant, of course. Although i wouldn't know what the original rating was, i just know every kid ever saw it
>>
>Comic
Tons of good dark humor and great characters interacting with the mask as well as a great punchline ending; First part though isn't a particularly great introduction and makes it look like the comic is going to be a comic version Postal 2
>Movie
It's practically a classic for a good reason. Great comedy and overall tons of fun.
>cartoon
Never seen it
>Sequel
Very bad, but don't hate it with a passion as some. I remember chuckling once with the "Mother" joke.
>>
>>80422256>>80422332
Lol I have both omnis, I regret not getting the mask adventures omni. Check the price, bruh, the first one went up in price about 500-600% last time I checked like 100 something bucks
>>
>>80427879
I've got the Adventures of the Mask omni, it really isn't that great anon. Has some nice Bruce Timm covers and it actually follows the continuity of the cartoon down to actually referencing specific episodes. There's two interesting issues, one of which has guest stories from Sergio Aragones and Mike Mignola, and the other is a black and white prequel to the Joker Mask crossover. I had c copy of the UK magazine the stories were printed in and I remember a backup story in those that wasn't included in the omnibus, so I've no idea if it was exclusive to the UK or just left out by Dark Horse.
>>
>>80430048
Hmm, alright, maybe I was right not to purchase that book the first time around. I probably knew then what I didn't know now. Of course there was a reason I didn't buy it.
On another note I hope that one day we get an Omni 3 with Joker/mask, Lobo/mask, Walter: Reign of terror, etc although I can see licensing being the issue
>>
>Comic
Never read it except the one with Lobo.

>Movie
Didn't like it as a kid, felt too dark and not having the orange tie disturbed me. I like it more nowadays.

>Cartoon
GOAT cartoon. I still have tons of episodes recorded on VHS, including the banned feather one.

>sequel
Monkey paw wish from my childhood. An abomination.
>>
>>80407725
Holy SHIT man, where did you find this picture of literally me???
>>
>>80423822
If Dead Meme was so successful, clearly a more traditional movie adaptation of The Mask could work.
>>
>>80430048
>one of which has guest stories from Sergio Aragones and Mike Mignola
wait what?
please tell me of this
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.