[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are LOTR comics even a possibility after this old fart dies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8
File: Christopher_Tolkien.jpg (273 KB, 589x793) Image search: [Google]
Christopher_Tolkien.jpg
273 KB, 589x793
Are LOTR comics even a possibility after this old fart dies? It seems like they're the only thing DC could publish that could compete with Star Wars.
>>
I hope not.
>>
>>80407499

The rights will probably go to his son. So it depends on what Simon says when Chris is dead.
>>
>>80407499
Doubt it.
Hell, everything since papa Tolkien died hasn't compared to the source material.
>>
Harry Potter comics would probably sell more than Lord of the Rings, possibly easier to convince JKR too now that she's finally letting other people write in that universe.
>>
I hope to god not because then we'll get black people in everything when they were suppose to be born evil and or metaphor for Orcs

Don't even think POCs existed besides the Muslim race that help out the bad guys
>>
>>80407499
Hey have some respect, he's the reason we even know most of the lore.

But nah. Stuff like Conan lends itself to comic books because they were pulpy short stories to begin with. Middle-earth stuff is typically too dense for comics unless. the writer is willing to loosen up (decompress) things a bit. Even The Hobbit comic was more of an illustrated edition.
>>
>>80407656
What. How can you get it so wrong?

>no religions
>orcs already exist
>humans are... human
>>
>>80407594
Yes to expanded universe Harry Potter. Middle-earth canonically goes downhill after LOTR and just becomes mundane. Unless you go First and Second Age stuff that hasn't really been explored elsewhere, but they're full of constant BAD ENDS too

>>80407594
But he didn't write anything new.
>>
File: 1456286996771.jpg (894 KB, 1017x890) Image search: [Google]
1456286996771.jpg
894 KB, 1017x890
>>80407638
I'll only read an HP comic if it's drawn by this artist.
>>
>>80407761
Humans are just white in LOTR bro. Shades of brown and black humans don't exist. The closes you get are the tanned white humans from the Sea Fairing Humans.
>>
>>80408082
>Shades of brown and black humans don't exist.
The Haradrim? The Dunlendings? The Easterlings?
>>
>>80408082
There are brown people but they're all evil / allied with Sauron so SJWs would still be buttblasted and try to introduce a proud black strong Gondorian tranny who don't need no king
>>
>>80407499
Fucking give me First age comic adventures holy shit
>>
>>80408236
No... they'd introduce a black gondorian tranny who traces a lineage back to when they were kangz an' shit.
>>
In theory, I might like to see Quenta Silmarillion or the Ainulindale or the Valaquenta as comic books, but I don't imagine someone doing it well. Consequently, I don't want to see it adapted.
>>
>>80408236
They're not evil-evil like orcs, they just don't know any better (since all good-aligned humans owe alignment to elvish influence)

Sort of like enemy soldiers in WW1.
>>
>>80408020
>female Draco
would bang
>>
>>80409162
>Harriet gets there first.
>>
>>80408020
Thats a Harry/Draco ship i could ship...
Also no one gives a shit about LOTR after the Hobbit shat all over the franchise.
Harry Potter is more viable.
>>
I would kill for some Silmarillion comics, or Second Age Middle-Earth, or even later.

>>80408236
>>80408082
>>80407656
/pol/, go read the books. >>80409031 is right:
>Sort of like enemy soldiers in WW1.
There was an entire scene where Sam realizes that the Haradrim are just like him.

Also there's some interesting material in Unfinished Tales about the Blue Wizards' mission to the East involving fomenting rebellion against Sauron that could be a neat plot
>>
>>80407499

Harry Potter would do better for comics even though I think it's inferior to LOTR. Harry potter has much more to play with in the past present and future. The history of Middle Earth is set
>>
>>80407499
yeah have some respect
>>
>>80407499
It's kind of shocking the only LOTR comics are derived from Bakshi.
>>
>>80407567
The rights to the Tolkien works (other than The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit) rest with the Tolkien estate, which in turn assigns them to subsidiary bodies.

Technically, Christopher Tolkien doesn't own them at all, but since the Tolkien Estate entity is controlled by him (and his wife, and Michael George Tolkien) as a director, it's largely immaterial for the purposes of guessing where the direction of the rights exploitation will go.

It's possible there could be comic books, but you have to understand that might rest with Tolkien Enterprises, which is a separate company owned by other people and not controlled by the Tolkien family. Tolkien Enterprises has the right to produce "figurines, tableware, stationery items, clothing, and the like" which has later been interpreted as computer games, slot machines and other less tangible or less obviously related items, a fact that has caused the Tolkien Estate to sue Tolkien Enterprises on several occasions.

If the right to produce comic books in fact rests with Tolkien Enterprises (and it seems likely that this would be one of the few inarguable products Tolkien Enterprises could produce without the Tolkien Estate complaining that it infringes the rights agreement), this is further complicated by the fact that Tolkien Enterprises (along with Peter Jackson, most of the named cast, and other entities involved) sued New Line Cinema over non-payment of royalties. These multiple legal actions contributed to the decision of Time Warner to effectively roll up NLC and turn it into a banner at Warner Bros. - it's just a name they attach to certain projects now, and all rights that weren't sold off when the old studio heads were fired are property of WB. While Jackson (and Gandalf) were happy to come back (after an unnecessary 10 year delay) once their cases were settled, Tolkien Enterprises might look to someone other than DC, which is now firmly part of the DC Entertainment complex in Burbank.
>>
>>80413924
Honestly hard to keep up with, I hate this copyright bullshit
>>
Look, Tolkien's estate has been turning down offers from American comic book companies since the late 60's, I doubt it'll change now.
>B-B-BUT IT'D BE COOL!
The people holding the license disagree. Their license, their rules. At least we're not pretending there's a chance there'll be a Harry P-
>>80407638

That's it - somebody ask Rowling on Twitter how likely a Harry Potter comic is.
>>
>>80407638
>>80414778
It could work. Tie-ins to Fantastic Breasts at least.
>>
>>80415407
Yes, it COULD work, IF Rowling was interested in a comic book adaptation/tie-in to her novels. But she isn't, so give it a fucking rest.
>>
>>80407638
>>80414778
>>80415407
>>80415742
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! FINE!! I'LL ASK HER, YOU DAMN BABIES!
>>
File: 1456596811447.jpg (195 KB, 508x646) Image search: [Google]
1456596811447.jpg
195 KB, 508x646
>>80407499
Get your fat hands away from LOTR. That guy is based and has the right to be mad that people try to turn his dad's work into mindless shit far away from the source material.
>>
>>80415954
It's just too bad the source material is a goddamn slog to get through.

Tolkien was a great world builder and thinker, but a shitty writer. Reading his work is a physically draining process and it's no wonder people would rather have a movie or comic about it.
>>
>>80416028
Pleb.
>>
File: GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT.png (262 KB, 463x373) Image search: [Google]
GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT.png
262 KB, 463x373
>>80416028
>>
Video games have made me so tired of anything slightly Tolkien that I can't stand anything LotR or Hobbit related anymore. Dark Souls is about the only western fantasy RPG series that I can stand because the intro is "There WERE dragons but now there's not because fuck your dragons nerd. Here's one that's a blind cripple and his half breed daughter now go back to your fucking Dragons Age"

Nerds need to learn to use mythology that isn't based around Tolkien's interpretation of British mythology.
>>
>>80416028
Clearly capeshit is more your level
>>
File: 6bf2a863dc7b528492-123.jpg (251 KB, 800x1313) Image search: [Google]
6bf2a863dc7b528492-123.jpg
251 KB, 800x1313
I actually really enjoyed the Hobbit comic.
>>
>>80415954
>turn his dad's work into mindless shit far away from the source material
Fucking dumb.

"Do not laugh! But once upon a time (my crest has long since fallen) I had a mind ot make a body of more or less connected legend, ranging from the large and cosmogonic, to the level of romantic fairy-story--the larger founded on the lesser in contact with the earth, the lesser drawing splendour from the vast backclothes... I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, AND YET leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama."
-From JRR's letter to Milton Waldman included in the Silmarillion's second edition.
>>
>>80408082
>being this fucking retarded

but I kinda agree, that they wouldn't rest until they shoved a black/brown guy/girl as the MC.
>>
File: TRIGGERED UP INSIDE.jpg (92 KB, 620x836) Image search: [Google]
TRIGGERED UP INSIDE.jpg
92 KB, 620x836
>>80416171
>>80416210
>>80416281
>>
>>80416251
I've heard that Shadows Over Mordor was surprisingly fun.
>>80416415
It's probably Chuck Dixon's best work. My little brother got it for a few Christmases ago, and I was genuinely impressed that he combined my fandoms so neatly. That said, he's become a bit of a Tolkien nerd himself - he's even reading The Silmarillion!
>>
I expect more Middle Earth material after Christopher dies. Not anything overblown like the MCU, but I definitely expect adaptations of the Silmarillion. Be it comics, various merchandise, or even a tv show/movie about certain tales from it. Money talks, but with Christopher it's understandable since he's Tolkien's son.
>>
>>80407499
This is a bad idea. Comics are a terrible format to adapt LOTR (they'd have to be super compressed, that ASOIAF comic series takes so many issues to advance the plot)

And no, I don't want to see LOTR get its own EU, keep that cancer away from Tolkein
>>
>>80408020
This looks way too good.
>>
>>80415924
Let us know how it goes
>>
>>80413924
>Tolkien Estate
>Tolkien Enterprises
>J. R. R. Tolkien Discretionary Settlement
>The Tolkien Trust
>WB
>New Line Cinema

Why is this so confusing
>>
File: 1456590022389.jpg (507 KB, 1200x939) Image search: [Google]
1456590022389.jpg
507 KB, 1200x939
I just want him to release The Fall of Gondolin before he dies.
>>
>>80407499
The better question is would you want them to?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.