[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All the PPG reboot threads got me thinking about the Dexter's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: dextersdad.png (123 KB, 210x265) Image search: [Google]
dextersdad.png
123 KB, 210x265
All the PPG reboot threads got me thinking about the Dexter's Lab revival from several years ago.

It was fucking awful.

Dull, humorless writing, terrible redesigns, bland voice acting, the lack of any background noise or music, brown, drab color palette, and the slowest fucking pacing you've ever seen,

It's like they deliberately set out to make it as boring as fucking possible..
>>
As a kid-preteen Dexter was my favorite show.
I honestly have no memory of the artstyle changing or anything.
It's really weird looking back on this now
>>
>>80301191
Do you think if they met each other they would touch dicks?
>>
>>80301191
Same shit, different season.
>>
>>80301191
I hated Nu Dexter.

What was the story behind the changes?
>>
>>80301191
Thank you, this is now a reaction face.
>>
>>80301771
the show ended but like 2 people wanted to come back to do it while the rest went on to do other projects that were relatively successful including FOP, fosters home, and family guy
kinda funny how that first season is like a who's who of early 00s animation
>>
Wasn't that the season with koosalagoopagoop and that anime knockoff villain? I recall THAT moment being pretty funny, but the rest of the post-movie stuff being shit.
>>
>>80302834
no those were pre-Ego Trip
>>
>>80302851

Huh, thought it was after the movie. Unless it was CN being faggots and only rarely reairring shit. I swear I had to wait like 4 years to see the two-parter when Dexter went to Japan again
>>
>>80301191
yeah this was horrid. i think the same team also did the later seasons of ppg, which were bad but not as bad.
>>
>>80302851

Nope, it was AFTER Ego Trip. ET was 99. Jeepers, Creepers, Where's Peepers was 01
>>
File: dexter.png (398 KB, 620x438) Image search: [Google]
dexter.png
398 KB, 620x438
The problem with the new season of Dexter's Lab is that it was just a lot slower in pace as opposed to the hyper energy the first few seasons had, but it had a few gems. http://dexters-laboratory.blogspot.com/2015/01/a-third-dad-cartoon.html
>>
>>80301191
Dexters dad looks like a man that would molest his own daughter and the entire family knows about it, but they're all just too afraid to say anything.
>>
>>80303587

I don't know, original had some slow moments as well. I'd say it was more of the payoff with the jokes. Everything before the movie had tight writing to it, while a large portion of the post-movie seasons had weak payoffs with the jokes and gags.
>>
>>80302133
Same with Johnny Bravo.
>>
>>80301191
I remember it being a bit more sexualized too, and it was really awkwardly done.
>>
>>80303698

When was that? I know JB had an art shift after like the first season, but that was when it really picked up for a lot of people. Though I recall something odd where the last several episodes suddenly felt like a blur between the styles of the first season and whenever the art shift happened.
>>
>>80303587
So you're saying... it was low energy?
>>
>>80303739
I should've specified, I was responding to this part:
>kinda funny how that first season is like a who's who of early 00s animation
>>
>>80303767

Ah, still, you know what I mean. JB suffered from a weird change near the end of its life
>>
>>80303698
johnny bravo is fucking bizarre to marathon
the second season starts with pops and carl just showing up like they were there the whole time
>>
>>80303787

To be fair, JB never had any consistent logic to it, of course very few CN shows did at the time.
>>
>>80303811
>"Hello, Johnny!"
>"How did you know my name?"
>"Never mind that, I'm here to help you with your problem!"

They used that line so often in Season 1, and it got a giggle from me every time.
>>
>>80301191
Anyone noticed that Dexter got his eyes after his Dad and hair after his Mom?

Not many cartoons actually get into details like genetics.
>>
>>80303698
This
I hated JB new seasons with Carl and his Mother.
They turned him from arrogant yet clueless cool cat into clinically retarded virgin manchild. I fellt bad becasue i seen Johnny as a poor autistic child and coudn't get a laugh out of his gags.
>>
>>80301357
I remember noticing it suddenly got different but nothing specific, just that it looked and sounded weird.
>>
The episode where Dexter goes to college is one of my favorites.
>>
>>80304216
PARTY NOW
STUDY LATER
PARTY NOW
STUDY LATER
PARTY NOW
STUDY LATER
PARTY NOW
STUDY LATER
PARTY NOW
STUDY LATER
PARTY NOW
STUDY LATER
>>
>>80301191
Is there a comparison like this with all the characters?
I didn't see dad's redesign SO different before seeing them side by side.
>>
>>80301191
Isn't that the guy that molested Clarissa?
>>
>>80304700
I was thinking the same thing
>>
>>80301191
Holy fuck was the redesign's head really that big?
>>
File: sitcom_char_8984[1].jpg (53 KB, 330x598) Image search: [Google]
sitcom_char_8984[1].jpg
53 KB, 330x598
>>80301191
JUST
>>
>>80306675
I have no idea what you are going on about. Either way the series ended a long time ago at Season 4. I feel sorry for the voice actor of Dexter though.
>>
File: N3rJppK.jpg (34 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
N3rJppK.jpg
34 KB, 400x300
>>80301191
The only good episode of that abominable revival was when Dexter went to college
>>
>>80303698
>Entire crux of the show was that Johnny was arrogant, self-absorbed, and didn't respect the people he tried to score with.
>Quickly started making him a dumb manchildren as well so the writing could come easier.
>Eventually makes an entire episode centered around hammering the point into the viewer's head.

Johnny Bravo is a great example of Seth and Bitch's shared strengths and weaknesses. They both come up with solid concepts, but they quickly become lazy and condescending.
>>
>>80303698
>>80303739
>>80303787
>>80303811
JB has a weird history. Season 1 happened, some adult jokes, Johnny is kinda of a loser.
It didn't pick up so it stayed 2 years on hiatus untill it was revived and more appealing to kids, with new artstyle, Carl, Pops and Johnny as a retard. This was season 2 and 3
Then comes season 4 which came back to the origins.
A mess, but I love it
>>
>>80306703
>I have no idea what you are going on about.

not him but did you bother looking at the image attached to that post?
>>
>>80303996
>got his eyes after his Dad

anon, those are glasses
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.