[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>that episode where Lisa pet cats keeps dying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
>that episode where Lisa pet cats keeps dying
>>
I wish for once The Simpsons had an episode that didn't revert to the status quo again. I think having actual changes would have prevented the series from going downhill the past 15 years.
>>
Fuck that episode.
>>
>>80290094
Flanders gets together with Edna
>>
Is it wrong that I found that pretty funny?

Not the episode as a whole, and her getting an identical cat and naming it after the first doesn't even feel like parody anymore so much as an excuse for returning to status quo.

But the string of pet deaths throughout the episode was sort of funny. Probably fucked Lisa up a bit.
>>
>>80290094

The status quo shit never mattered. Who the hell watches Simpsons for a long-running plot? The show got bad because the actual stories got ridiculous, the emotional scenes lack resonance, and the jokes are just unfunny. Something like, say, aging the characters wouldn't do shit.
>>
>>80290198
fucking this
i'll never understand why everyone's solution to making the simpsons better is "make them older" as if that's the only thing wrong with the series
>>
>>80290188
Lisa was getting numb to the devastation. I have had so many cats die on me as a girl; each death was painful, sure, but it put life in perspective.

The episode did lampshade "The Principal and the Pauper", but I honestly cannot tell if it was a good thing.
>>
>>80290094

I actually think it would benefit from aging the characters 3-4 years(for a start).
>>
>that episode that opened with Lisa barefoot for no reason
>>
>the episode where Fat Tony dies and is replaced by an identical twin also named Fat Tony.
>>
>>80290718
She's in her fucking bed
i do that barefoot too
>>
>>80290785
Wrong.
He was replaced by Fit Tony
Who ended up becoming Fat
>>
>>80290718
Uh... because she's practicing the sax on her bed? Do you wear shoes on your bed?
>>
>>80290718
Lisa was lounging on top of her bed. Shoes get uncomfortable & would make the comforter dirty.
>>
>>80290141
>That episode where Edna just disappears, >presumably dies off screen before.
>>
>>80290980
I never even watched any episodes with her and Flanders but I'm still disappointed they killed her off with her actress.

I get not recasting, but I feel like retiring a character doesn't have to mean making them disappear from the show permanently.

Might've been better to just keep the two happily married in the background.
>>
>>80290280
>>80290198

It's not that aging the characters in an of itself is a fix. It's that having things change allows for new situations to make jokes and write plots about.

For example, The Simpsons has made fun of/parodied elementary school to hell and back over and over. If the kids were allowed to age, they could do satire/jokes focused on high school, college, trying to find your first job, etc.

Would it automatically work? Of course not. But if they insist on continuing the show, it would help a lot. Zombie Simpsons repeats plots and jokes now (often over and over) because, well, the same scenario for 25 years, what else can you do? Letting things change would just give the writers new material, and more material, to work with at this point.
>>
File: 1339346439011.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1339346439011.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>80290094
I just want Homer to fuck up so badly that Marge divorces him, kicks him out, and splits custody of the kids. Marge deals with being a single parent, Homer finds a place to live and put his life back together, the kids deal with the weight of the situation their own ways. And it sticks, never reverting (until a definite series finale or something, who cares)
Is that so much to ask?
>>
>Bart regularly drives the family car.
>>
>>80291500

They already know that no matter how hard they try to make things more interesting that the fans will bitch and complain anyway and their ratings will stay exactly the same.

It's way less effort to keep pumping out the same shit.
>>
>>80291634
I know a way this can happen, real talk here.

Homer's stupidity and gross incompetence results in one of the kids fucking dying horribly, like permanently dead, never to return. And Marge leaves him not just because of all the other shit she's endured for the last 90 years, but because she's worried about the safety of the remaining two.

Meanwhile, Homer is depressed and considers suicide, but begins a long journey of self-improvement to atone for the death, and maybe, someday, reconnect with his other kids and make Marge willing to speak with him again. Maybe the dead one was somehow killed through some shit with the power plant and Homer's shit job at safety-inspecting it, so he quits there too and gets a new job somewhere else.

Let's go all grimdark in this shit. Remember the early episodes, around seasons 1&2, where everybody cried like at least once in every episode? Let's make that look like Laugh Central by comparison.
>>
>>80291663
No, that's a good point. I don't think it matters at this point. Which is too bad, because a Simpsons where things get to change is something I think I might like to watch, I'd like to see how the writers tackle new situations.
>>
>>80291634
the final season being this and having every episode be about Homer trying to make amends with stuff he's fucked up would be cool but they've already done the "Marge angrily kicks Homer out but welcomes him back with open arms" plot like 30 times now
>>
>>80291851
DED BORT
>>
DENTAL PLAN
>>
>>80292042
LISA'S A RAPIST
>>
>>80290344
London?
>>
>>80290718
What the fuck? Why is this a big deal? Why is this even a deal?
>>
>>80290198
the problem became that after a while the ways they'd restore the Status Quo would become more and more hackneyed and hard to stomach

>>80291500
exactly, I had some ideas for that sort of scenario, although time wouldn't start progressing much till around season 9 or so, after that it'd progress steadily till Bart would be 18 or so during the events of the movie(a lot of the younger kid plots would end up being shifted to Maggie due to this, while Bart and Lisa getting older means that "relationship" episodes with them aren't constrained by them being 8 and 10 respectively)
>>
Lisa the Buddhist
Lisa the vegetarian
Maude dying
Edna and Flanders
Edna dying (poor ned) [but that's because she really died]
I'm sure there's more.
>>
File: 1340176752642.jpg (22 KB, 137x247) Image search: [Google]
1340176752642.jpg
22 KB, 137x247
>>80291851
Too dark. Not dead, but seriously injured, sure. It gives both Homer and Lisa a chance for some development.
>>
>>80293068

Footfags
>>
>>80290718
I bet you don't do your own laundry.
>>
>>80291634
You know this would freshen up and modernize the show. I mean who's married anymore?
>>
>>80290094
>>80291634

Why do you want The Simpsons to be King of the Hill?
>>
>>80295686
Season 2 Simpsons was like the precursor to King of the Hill.

On an unrelated note Harry "fuck The Simpsons" Shearer is said to have written some episode that's probably going to air next season. No idea why he even did that or what it's going to be about, but if there's ever an episode they shouldn't change from the original writer's draft that's fucking it because I'm really curious why he'd involve himself in the show that way.

(they'll change it)
>>
>>80296040
I remember him saying a few years back that he did write one years ago and they rejected it.

Don't think he specified how long ago that was or who was in charge then, though.
>>
>>80290033
She mentioned that Skinner wasn't actually Skinner but Armin Tamzarian in that episode

In the episode where Skinner was found not to be Skinner but Tamzarian, at the end when they decided to just pretend he was Skinner anyway, Judge Snyder said nobody would mention Armin Tamzarian again under penalty of torture.

For some reason this bothers me, even though contextually it would be unreasonable for Skinner to report a child to the police over it (especially one of the best performing children in his failing school.)
>>
>>80302547
Principal and the pauper wasnt even that bad of an episode, just not a good one.

The main damage it did was permanently eliminate one of the best running gags in Skinner's vietnam memories
>>
>>80290094
So, basically Fairly OddSimpsons?
>>
>>80290094
That's why Paul McCartney forced them to keep Lisa a vegetarian or he wasn't going to guest star.
>>
>>80290718
is that what the blurays look like? disgusting
>>
File: brad.jpg (43 KB, 516x800) Image search: [Google]
brad.jpg
43 KB, 516x800
>tfw you associate LISA with something different
>>
>>80291634
>>80291851
>watches moral orel once
>>
>>80291851
>Let's go all grimdark in this shit
I can't think of a faster way to kill the series. So let's do it.
>>
>>80302966
But Armin was in Vietnam.
>>
>>80291500
They did do all that with bullshit future dreams
>>
>>80302966
They didn't retcon him being in vietnam, though.
>>
File: regardgin_marge.jpg (230 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
regardgin_marge.jpg
230 KB, 1280x720
>That episode where Marge gets amnesia and kicks Homer out of the house because she can't remember him.
>>
>>80307583
Think it was more than that. Didn't she see that he was just a wreck of a man and she saw herself wanting more, but in the end his devotion/alcoholism brought her back?
>>
>>80304248
Brad you piece of shit
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.