[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's 2016, what excuse do you have for not familiarizin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: Watchmen,_issue_1.jpg (103 KB, 821x1280) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen,_issue_1.jpg
103 KB, 821x1280
It's 2016, what excuse do you have for not familiarizing yourself with canon of the comic classics like Watchmen?
Inb4 "I don't have money to buy it", here's:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_AYqxzHii9hPFHWM2gC5pTknX2abkiAG
- playlist with completely free and legal Watchmen Motion Comic that animates and voice acts original comic in HD, uploaded on official Warner Bros channel.
>>
>>79048109
>Motion Comic
Just borrow it from the library.
>>
>>79048362
Where do you live where library has a copy of Watchmen omnibus, I want to move there?
>>
>>79048385
What fuckhole do you live in that your library doesn't have a copy of fucking Watchmen

https://www.worldcat.org/title/watchmen/oclc/919248601?referer=br&ht=edition
>>
>>79048385
Libraries have all kinds of shit man
>>
>>79048385
In what kind of shitty library have you been?
>>
>>79048109
>It's 2016, what excuse do you have for not familiarizing yourself with canon of the comic classics like Watchmen?
I'm not a disgusting neckbeard. I avoid that shit as much as possible so I don't become an asshole who doesn't like anything.
>>
>>79048385
Fuck, man, my library has Watchmen, Corben's Edgar Allen Poe comics, Gunslinger Born, and a shitload of others.
It's not considered a good library.
Christ, I can rent fucking blurays from my library for no charge.
>>
>>79049974
You are exactly what you're afraid of becoming.
>>
>>79048109
How good or bad are motion comics?
Are any actually worth watching?
>>
>capeshit
>>
>>79050762
They are terrible and destroy the main benefits of the comics form.

The only good ones I have seen are ones designed from the start for it and those are all web comics.
>>
>>79050865
What benefits are those?
I'm not disputing you or anything, but what benefits do motion comics specifically eliminate?
>>
>>79051050
The major difference between Film or TV and a Comic is that the idea behind a Film or TV show is that you hit play and you watch from Beginning to End.

In comics you are free to view them at your own pace as your eyes look over the pages and focus on what you want.

Motion comics take that control away from the reader and create a bastardization of the two.
>>
>>79051142
If you want to a see a comic that moves and is effective however, give this a read

http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=350217&no=31&weekday=tue
>>
>>79051180
Yeah, that's a classic.
I wonder why audiobooks are fine when motion comics aren't. I guess the visual medium is just one too many things to focus on?
Pity, really. I'd imagine in the right hands, a motion comic adaptation could be effective.
>>
I just don't find it interesting. I love movies but I don't find many of the classics like Casablanca or Ben-Hur entertaining either.
>>
>>79051359
Audiobooks are also very different from books, in physical it is easier to flip around and confirm details audiobooks are forced to continue unless you really want to fiddle with them.

>>79051391
That comparison is pretty off.
>>
>>79051409
They're different from books, but they're not exactly damaging. I've read quite a lot of books physically, and I've heard quite a lot of audios as well. Only exceptionally bad readers have garnered a complaint from me.
>>
>>79051467
Yeah the method the information is given to you is not changed that is true.
>>
How do you express the things like the symmetry of the entire issue in a motion comic?

This thread is cancer.
>>
>>79051359
Comics are not linear. There is more to a comic than just going from panel to panel, the way the page or double page or in case of Watchmen the entire issue is put together matters.
>>
>>79051498
>>79051585

That could very well be the problem.
While Robert Rodriguez has proven that a comic can easily substitute a storyboard when he directed Sin City, the comics were never inked with the intention of movement. I'd imagine an outside interpretation of how visual events transpire could hurt the experience. Then you take books like We3 into account, which would likely translate to a motion comic format very fucking badly.

An unabridged audiobook is just a verbal communication of the written work, so no liberties can, as a rule, be taken. I feel that would be the difference.

For comics a good motion adaptation would require a deep understanding of the writer's/artist's intentions, and the adaptability of the work itself.
>>
>>79051500
Actually it seems to be turning into a pretty good discussion on whether motion comics in general can even work.
>>
>>79048109

Because Watchmen is overrated as fuck and "Motion Comics" are literal cancer desu senpai.
>>
>>79052843
Hope you enjoy your time in Stage 2, see you in Stage 3.
>>
I don't know why the motion comic rustles my jimmies. Maybe because for all the effort they put into it (and the actual movie) they could've just made an animated miniseries that covered ALL of Watchmen, instead of the two crappy things we got (a visual audiobook and a crap movie).
>>
>>79053384
Would have still been crap.
>>
>>79053409

Kinda like All-Star Superman, I guess.

Maybe Alan Moore is right. He and Dave Gibbons already made the comic, why does the world need something else?
>>
File: wake me up inside.png (22 KB, 113x98) Image search: [Google]
wake me up inside.png
22 KB, 113x98
>>79051180
>That comic

Nopenopenopenopenope
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.