[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there so few superheroes, or even supervillains, with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: demon in a bottle.jpg (82 KB, 300x456) Image search: [Google]
demon in a bottle.jpg
82 KB, 300x456
Why are there so few superheroes, or even supervillains, with drug addictions?

It's been done before with alcohol a few times: Iron Man, Flash Thompson, Carol Danvers, etc., but outside of John Constantine with pot and Moon Knight with meds that he really needs and Martian Manhunter with Chocos, it doesn't really exist in comics.
Why?
>>
>>78881375
oh and then also Roy Harper, forgot about him
>>
Harry Osborn.
>>
>>78881375
Do you really want to read about the adventures of the vigilante that steals cameras and sucks dick for crack?
>>
File: 1432265486672.jpg (63 KB, 445x372) Image search: [Google]
1432265486672.jpg
63 KB, 445x372
>>78882295
Now that you mention it, a little bit.
>>
File: 1452195745922.png (93 KB, 429x464) Image search: [Google]
1452195745922.png
93 KB, 429x464
>>78882295
I'm not sure if you want me to answer that question seriously Anon
>>
>>78881375
There's Snowflame, the human instrument of the cocaine god's will.
>>
>>78881375
Wanda's on meds as well now. ;_;
>>
>>78881375
>>Why are there so few superheroes, or even supervillains, with drug addictions?

Back in the early days it could be explained by the Comics Code. I don't know what the deal is today since there ain't no real excuse.
>>
>>78881375
Occasionally, synthetic powers have some kind of addictive nature. I remember the super-speed girl from 52 had something like that going on, though it's been a while since I read it.

Bane has Venom, Peter Stanchek from Harbinger is a pillhead, the Doctor from the Authority does a fuckton of drugs, Scarecrow may count considering he's addicted to the chemical reactions fear causes in his brain.

Those are just some additions off the top of my head.
>>
>>78882295
>Homeless hero, a simple minded man with super-strength
>His arch-nemesis is crack as it fuels his powers but keeps him from mainting a job which forces him to do nasty things to get money in order to eat and fuel his crack addiction/super-powers

Thats it man, Im taking this.
>>
>>78883431
Addiction was a bit of a recurring theme for both Hourmen as well
>>
>>78882295

I have a concept for a comic set in the late 80's where a coke-addicted male prostitute helps the LAPD by helping to uncover a weapons smuggling operation run by a rich businessman.

However, he fucks it up when he begins fucking one of the cops that's involved with the case and ends up shot up because of it.

The Illuminati also gets involved at some point.
>>
>>78883100
yeah they're called bitch pills.
>>
File: Speedy More Like Smacky.jpg (92 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
Speedy More Like Smacky.jpg
92 KB, 400x600
>>78881375

Well, this happened.
>>
>>78881375
because they ran the concept into the ground in the 1990's where every indie rag at least one character addicted to drugs.

also the rise of geek protags
>>
>>78881375
If you're stoned, you don't sit in a cave watching the news to find someone to beat up.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.