[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has the X-Men line ever been "good"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 596099.jpg (150 KB, 600x911) Image search: [Google]
596099.jpg
150 KB, 600x911
Going back to it's earliest days back when their was just Uncanny, X-Factor and New Mutants the line was plagued with shitty event tie-ins and crossovers. Coupled with this is the back that Claremont's melodramatic writing style, while popular back then, has never good artistically; maybe because it was only marginally better then the wordy, exposition-heavy writing of the silver and bronze age

What does /co/ think?
>>
>>78638996
That you should go back to /tv/
>>
>>78638996
>earliest days
>just Uncanny, X-Factor and New Mutants
>New Mutants #1 when uncanny is at #167
>X-Factor #1 when uncanny is at #202
Giant Size #1/#94 - #200 is my favorite section anyway.
>>
>>78638996
I think you should pay more attention in class
>>
>Thor out of fucking nowhere
>>
>>78639858
Louise Simonson was Claremont's editor for ~4 years. She took over writing X-factor soon after it's debut. Her husband, Walt, was Thor's writer at the time and also helped write X-factor. Louise also wrote Power Pack, which also had an issue tie in. Mutant Massacre was basically an excuse for the three of them to use the books they were writing to put out an 11 issue storyline in 3 months.
>>
>>78638996
I think you should try casting your b8 somewhere else m80.
>>
>>78640308
Oh yes, I know. It was just crazy to see Thor in such event.
>>
>>78639858
Its Marvel, sometimes you run into Thor.
>>
>>78638996
X-men has good stories but has always been pushed by characterfaggotry especially of the waifu kind.
>>
I just found X-men Omnibus Vol 2 at the library, Claremont's stuff from it looks like '86-91 stuff. Should I pick this up or instead the earlier stuff (downloading Dark Phoenix Saga right now)?
>>
>>78640590
I'm up to 250 (trying to catch up in X-factor) and I'd say the early stuff is more classic while the post 200 stuff was cooler.
>>
File: 1389307363451.jpg (22 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1389307363451.jpg
22 KB, 720x540
>>78638996
>to it's earliest days
ok
>when their was just Uncanny, X-Factor and New Mutants
uhm
>X-Factor
>earliest days
The fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>78640590
Just read from giant size. Whenever I try to suggest a starting point theres always something I don't like being missed.
>>
>>78641205
hmm...alright, I guess I'll have to download that then
>>
>>78641292
>>78641150
anons are correct.

Giant Size #1/#94 - #200 is "classic," and not the most reasonable place to start.

#200 up until >>78640590 is much "cooler" but you can see the franchise really start to sag under its own weight for the first time.
>>
>>78641292
>>78641476
uggg, I meant to say "most reasonable place to start" but the remnants of "not a bad place to start" where still there.

Giant Size #1/#94 is a fine place to start.
>>
>>78641476
>>78641501
Start is not the word I would use. I am looking for a good way to start Claremont's stuff, so yeah I will start with giant size. But I pick up random stuff at the library in the meantime. The 2000-15 era has a ton of stuff, a lot of it isn't really good but at least the art is better than the shit they put out now. That stuff I don't care too much if it's in order (well, I am going to read Morrison's stuff in order). But the Carey/Gage/whatever stuff, I don't really care. If I'm being perfectly honest part of the reason I pick it up is for hot X-girls. It's light reading anyways I have other stuff that's better that I read slower.
>>
>>78640433
Hell Daredevil was involved in Inferno because Ann Nocenti was the writer and former X editor, also the Daredevil tie-ins are just plain good
>>
>>78638996
> shitty crossovers

Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, and Inferno are all good though

It's not until you get to the 90's and the Lobdell years that the crossovers get way out of control
>>
>>78639713
>>78641173
I believe OP is referring to the earliest days when there was an X-Men "line" i.e. multiple ongoing x-books running concurrently
>>
>>78641913
As much as it pains me, Mutant Massacre was not good.
The mutants felt irrelevant and I didn't feel a connection to any of them when they were killed, it just felt like nothing was really at stake.
>>
>>78642452
Did you read it by itself or as part of the run?
>>
>>78642154
This. Prior to the launch of X-factor and New Mutants there really was only one x-men book
>>
>>78640590
The tail end of Claremont's run can be considered weaker than the first half but it includes the Outback era, a lot of great stories like the Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, etc. Really Claremont at his worst on the X-Men (during his initial long run) is still better than most writers at their best so it's well worth reading.

It also means you're not getting all the typical (at the time) characters since all of the original X-Men were shunted off to X-Factor so you're left with people like Havok, Longshot, Dazzler, Psylocke, Magneto, etc. at a time when having those guys was kind of a novelty.
>>
>>78638996
I love the Chris Claremont/Louise Simonson-era X-books but I will say, they're very much a "you had to be there" sort of thing (which you can say about a lot of pop culture from the 1980s).

Something about the combination of their ridiculously overheated soap opera-style character work and over-the-top action really resonated with me as a young(-ish) reader back in the day.

Also, it helped that they had some solid artists working with them: Dave Cockrum, John Byrne (with Terry Austin), Walt Simonson, Bill Sienkiewicz, Bret Blevins, Paul Smith, Barry Windsor-Smith, Brent Anderson, the Homage Studios guys (Marc Silvestri, Jim Lee, Whilce Portacio, Scott Williams—before they became parodies of themselves), and others.
>>
>>78642513
I hadn't been reading consistently but even for someone jumping on, they shouldn't have seemed as disposable as they did
>>
>>78645142
Fair enough but I think that all of Claremont's run feeds off of what came before. Even Dark Phoenix isn't as great as people hype it to be without the lead up IMO.
>>
My first X-Men comic was Uncanny #248 and I was a super-fan all the way up until the Onslaught era. That's when I pretty much checked out. Popped back in for Morrison's run which I liked for a while.
The continuity has always been a mess, and I guess this is just a case of "not muh", but Anything after the Whedon run is just a turn off. I hate what they did Prof. X, and beyond that I have no clue about what the hell's going on in the X-world
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.