[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The more powerful a Superhero is, the less value humans have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
The more powerful a Superhero is, the less value humans have in his franchise. They die easier, they can accomplish less and usually have to be sheltered and protected to survive.

That being said, why is Superman the hero most concerned with humans? Is there a practical reason or just Jesus "I love everyone" horseshit?
>>
It's because being basically invincible, he feels it's his duty to protect those who aren't. I think.
>>
Because it's the right thing to do.
>>
Superman doesn't even think of himself as a Kryptonian. He was raised by humans, and thought he was one into his teens.
>>
>>78608163
Probably because he was raised to care about humans. He loves his mom and dad, he loves his job and the people he works with.
>>
>>78608163
In most incarnations it's because his parents raised him to, or because he just wants to.

His whole thing is suppose to be about guiding humanity to a better future, by helping them when they fall down. He's not meant to replace humans or rule over them.

"A perfect world doesn't need a Superman"
>>
File: Action Comics- 008.jpg (528 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
Action Comics- 008.jpg
528 KB, 1280x1920
>>
>>78611837
I have yet to read that, assuming it's from Geoff John's run?

I was looking for good Superman runs, is New Krypton any good?
>>
>>78611902
>assuming it's from Geoff John's run?

Yeah

>is New Krypton any good?

It starts out pretty good but then Johns leaves the Superbooks to do Blackest Night and it kind of meanders into nothing. I don't really regret reading it, but I don't think it's really worth investing much time in.
>>
>>78611902
Yeah, Johns' run on Superman's fucking great.
>>
Superman is Superman because of humans, basically. He was raised as a human by a couple of humans, surrounded by other humans. He had the good fortune to land in the exact right place at the exact right time to be found by the exact right people.

People talk a lot about Superman as a saviour, a messianic figure. But what's often overlooked is that he's not (or shouldn't be...) simply distant beacon of otherworldy perfection for the muggles to chase, but instead a distillation and reflection of humanity's own most noble attributes. Superman is good because people are good.

Now people aren't perfect, even Superman knows that. But when you look at it from his perspective, his own life story is basically proof of how great they CAN be. His parents, his friends, etc. It's no wonder then, that he has such a strong attachment to them and such a steadfast belief in the good of mankind.

Superman, as an "identity", is arguably as much about honoring humanity as it is protecting them.
>>
>>78608163
but it's not horseshit, OP
>>
>>78611902
Last Son, Escape from Bizarro World, Legion of Super-Heroes and Brainiac are all good. New Krypton really isn't worth it, it starts off good but it gets worse and worse, until you reach one of the most pathetic endings I've ever seen.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.