[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your favorite Laika film, /co/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: laika.jpg (510 KB, 1194x1389) Image search: [Google]
laika.jpg
510 KB, 1194x1389
What is your favorite Laika film, /co/?
>>
Hands down Coraline, best 'kids' movie not kids movie. The creep factor just gets me every time.
>>
>>78601949
Coraline>Boxtrolls>Paramorman

I will admit I might not have been in the right mood when I watched Paranorman and might like it better watching it again. But I think Boxtrolls is underrated.
>>
>>78601949
whats the next film from them
>>
Coraline>Paranorman>Boxtrolls

I don't know what they were thinking with Boxtrolls but okay. They really need to pick better kids books to make movies from. With all that artistic skill you'd think they'd be able to do it.
>>
File: mfw Klocki Legacy.jpg (25 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
mfw Klocki Legacy.jpg
25 KB, 354x500
>>78601949
Paranorman.
Better than caroline because
>mor characters
>more details
>better story
>more corolful (its just my personal thing i know but i loved those acidic "zombie-green" colors)
>its the movie when Laika went full coming out mode with gays and "being accepted story plot" and to me it was really helpful because i was confused gay at the time when it was out

I didnt liked Boxtrolls...it honestly was surprising how they could do that. Hopefull they will fix this combo breaker with the next movie.
>>
>>78602028
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubo_and_the_Two_Strings
>>
>>78602056
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1F8VJZgrk
>>
>>78601949
That image ranks them perfectly from best to worst going from top to bottom. Box trolls was ugly, boring, and riddled with plot-holes for such a simple story.

Clearly no one gave a flying fuck about the trolls before they "kidnapped" a child and "ate" his father, so why the fuck was the exterminator so desperate to have his Troll killing machine built BEFORE he was ever promised a hat for it? This bothered the fuck out of me. That and the minions-tier personalities of most of the trolls made the movie feel more and more like it was just pandering than something they were actually passionate about during development.
>>
>>78602121
>Box trolls was ugly
another "baww ugly. non cute bawww" retard. I swear this movie hated mostly because pedophiles didnt had a cute loli to jerk off to like with Coraline.
>>
>>78602143
What about Winnie?
>>
I really like coraline personally...

But I think paranorman is has the better paced, better structured story, with well defined character arcs. Plus it's special effects were amazing.
>>
>>78602101
Reading comments
>hijacking Japanese culture and putting some pretty lame western actors for voice overs is pretty insulting. Was George Takei some half baked attempt at authenticity? ugh...

>Looks terrible.

>Mmm... something gets lost when a stop motion movie gets too close to how a CG version of that movie would look like.

It really looks like something between Paranorman and Boxtrolls. Personally im not as excited as when i was about Coraline and Norman
>>
>>78602159
she was very boy-ish and bland
>>
still Coraline
>>
Paranorman.

I wasn't a fan of Coraline's characterization and saw the addition of that black kid as really unnecessary. Outside of those two it was fantastic but they killed it for me.
>>
>>78601994
this pretty much explains it

>>78602038
more =/ better
>>
>>78602273
>more =/ better
I agree. This why Paranorman is an exception.
>>
>>78602143
Ugly wasn't the only reason I disliked it bro, chill the fuck out. Try actually reading my post instead of assuming I'm just another person complaining about it's looks. And for the record I found Winnie quite fappable, there's just hardly any 34 of her.

Oh and fuck you again for disregarding my whole post with your mudslinging you shitty shit guy.
>>
>>78602271
the other wybie practically saved her and he was theonly other kid her age at the town home.
>>
>>78602189
That wes Anderson movie that's stop motion with Japanese dogs sounds interesting
>>
>>78602296
>Oh and fuck you again for disregarding my whole post with your mudslinging you shitty shit guy.
you awwm upset. did i triggered you? :^)
>>
>>78602297
She did just fine on her own in the book/comic. The reason she was so bored and lonely was because she was the only kid her age in the whole area
>>
>>78602143
>>78602386
i'm not him but why are you so angry. what board bullied you today?
>>
>>78602404
>book/comic
i actually bought the book at a yard sale. haven't read it yet.

anyways, with adaptations you kind of have to disregard the source material or separate them completely or you will get a biased view of it
>>
>>78602409
Why do you dumb, stupid fucks never learn not to reply to baiting shitposts. For fucks sake it's not hard.
>>
>>78602437
by not replying to them you're reinforcing their validity to continue shitposting, truly believing they are right and have "won".

anyways, he's not really shitposting. he's just angry for some reason and terrible at arguments.
>>
>>78601949
Coraline was the only decent thing they made
>>
>>78602011
This so much.
>>
>>78601949
Paranorman
>>
>>78602189
One guy has a point Laika use so much cgi to get around the limitations of stop motion they mite as well just do it all in cg, would save them lots of time and money honestly their adherence to stop motion comes off as a pointless gimmick at this point.
>>
Paranorman.

Personally I think each film speaks differently to different people, and it's perfectly acceptable to have any one of the three as your favourite. It merely reflects your own personality and experience which story you connect with more, which characters you empathise with and how you internalise each film.
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 600x450
>>78604349
That's probably the best attitude to have.

I've not se coralline in its entirety, just little tiny baby snippets, but it looks pretty good. Paranormal was very stylish and I loved the characters,not he effects, and the zombies. The moral it presented was something that resonated with me as well.

Boxtrolls was nothing like the book. It was an alright movie, I did like the interpretation of some of the books elements like Snatcher and the Boxtrolls, but there was a ream of things you could add from the book and it would be a better movie.

Seriously go read here be monsters NOW
>>
File: 61304245.jpg (21 KB, 474x750) Image search: [Google]
61304245.jpg
21 KB, 474x750
>>78602011
>Boxtrolls>Paramorman
>>
>>78601949
Paranorman. Boxtrolls wasn't serious enough, and Coraline had some stuff I strongly disliked (like that stupid blue hair)
>>
boxtrolls had the weaker villain and story out if all of them but I found it funnier and cuter than the rest. not really excited about the Japanese thing they're doing.
>>
>>78602038
I too loved that slimey acid pop horror green. Mmmm.
>>
Coraline was fantastic. That part where the other mother pops through and drags her back scared the bejeebies out of me!
>>
Paranorman by far, way better at telling a story. Coraline was just a series of playstation Boss fights where her family just decided to be a family again after ignoring her.
>>
>>78602464
>by not replying to them you're reinforcing their validity to continue shitposting, truly believing they are right and have "won".

it's the opposite. They're children screaming for attention, even if it's negative.they're not concerned with winning, they're the ones red in the face and want everybody to have a bad time because they're upset.

Never respond to trolls, it takes away their power.
>>
>>78604192
Here's a quick history of Laika:

It started as Will Vinton Studios, started and operated by a talented stop motion animator named Will Vinton, go figure. Then Will Vinton got canned and the guy who owns Nike shoes went and bought it out from under him, and in turn gave the studio to his son. As it turns out his son fucking loves stop motion and became an animator and CEO and runs the whole company from the ground floor.

The point is that Laika is less a company and more a rich kid's gift/toy. It doesn't matter about gimmicks or saving money or dividends or whatever, because they'll keep doing what they're doing as long as the rich kid wants to do it.
>>
Coraline. I liked it much-much better than the book and I'm a Gaiman-fan.
Paranorman was so underwhelming. Cliche-ridden and boring characters with a single memorable joke (The jock is GAY LMAO). Boxtrolls was pure shit and looked like ass.
>>
Coraline, Boxtrolls, then Paranorman.
>>
>>78601949

Paranorman. Focused on being fun but also having a strong moral.
>>
It's a real shame that Coraline didn't have more They Might Be Giants music in it.
>>
>>78602029
>They really need to pick better kids books to make movies from.
They should do a Roald Dahl book, he has a fun but vaguely creepy style that would be perfect for them. It's too bad pretty much all his books have been made into movies already.
>>
I had no idea what the fuck was going on in box trolls
>>
>>78604767
Naw, Coraline was Banjo Kazooie
>>
>>78601949
Coraline > Paranorman > Boxtrolls is the objective ranking.

Coraline had hands down the best aesthetic, soundtrack, and was pretty creepy.

Paranorman kind of stumbled in the first act but did much better with the finale.

Boxtrolls was mostly forgettable with the animation being the main appeal.
>>
>>78601949
Coraline. Best story, best realized.
>>
>>78601949

The Nightmare Before Christmas.
>>
>>78607725
>it was objectively better because of subjective reasons
>>
File: aku opinions.png (1 MB, 669x769) Image search: [Google]
aku opinions.png
1 MB, 669x769
>>78608549
Exactly, you have a problem with that anon?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.