[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the meme trilogy of comic books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: meme trilogy.jpg (257 KB, 1222x575) Image search: [Google]
meme trilogy.jpg
257 KB, 1222x575
what is the meme trilogy of comic books?
>>
What a boring cover for Ulysses

Imagine living in whatever timeframe where Books were still the most popular form of Medium

Who'd look at that cover and go "Sure i'll but this."
>>
eightball, zap comix, acme novelty library
>>
To be honest, all three of those books are just Cerebus the Aardvark.
>>
File: 05.jpg (458 KB, 1425x2096) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
458 KB, 1425x2096
>>78543506
so overrated, the early issues especially are SHIT
>>
File: jules verne.jpg (40 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
jules verne.jpg
40 KB, 300x300
>>78543299
>ive never picked up a book in my life.
>>
>>78543548
>overrated
We're in a Gravity's Rainbow/Ulysses/Infinite Jest thread. What point are you trying to make?
>>
>>78543627
Ulysses is well rated and Gravity's Rainbow is underrated. Have you read them?
>>
>>78543653
Haven't read Infinite Jest or Ulysses (though I have read Portrait and Dubliners).

I've read Gravity's Rainbow. It was a fun, enjoyable read from beginning to end. But nothing to put on a pedestal and worship.

Kinda like Cerebus. Not the best comic ever, but worth discussing and analyzing because it's long and twisting, full of multiple layers appreciable on multiple levels, containing absolutely anything and everything that the author wanted to shove into it, and influential for other creators.
>>
>>78543781
dont get me wrong cerebus is an interesting read but mainly because sim is fucking mental. gravity's rainbow is a complex, intelligent story with consistent quality. a big chunk at the beginning of cerebus is just shitty sword and sorcery adventures with decent art.
>>
>>78543653
>>78543781
Please tell me how to understand Gravity's Rainbow.
>>
>>78543270
I don't know about the other two, but Watchmen absolutely definitely sits front line and center.
>>
>>78543893
its a pretty all-encompassing novel really

hes writing about the wars and the zeitgeist around them and exploring influences of the wars on post-war society. A lot of it is about paranoia and metaphysics too. There's also a recurring motif of a parabola, some scenes seem to me to be literally just about parabolas.
>>
File: cerebus_020_mind_game_montage.jpg (305 KB, 832x1000) Image search: [Google]
cerebus_020_mind_game_montage.jpg
305 KB, 832x1000
>>78543847
I get that it's aimless for about 20 issues, but you still get flashes of brilliance like this.

And then, after that, Dave overdoses on LSD and has his grand vision and schizophrenia diagnosis, and you get 270 issues (would have been 280 if not for Chasing YHWH) of quality sequential art from an extremely-talented madman. Even if you don't agree with how he's treating his characters, you can't deny that the level of proficiency with which he's putting out his comic is phenomenal, and it's a solid two-hundred-and-fucking-seventy issues of impressiveness. I think that you're not giving him enough credit for how mind-boggling and worthy of appreciation that is.

>>78544017
Saying that it's about a bunch of stuff is not a good response.

That would be like if I tried to convince you that Cerebus is good by reminding you that it's about pulp fiction, the giants English literature, the North-American comic book industry, Canadian national politics, gnosticism, exegesis, drug usage, gender relations, metafiction, addiction, dependency, and early 20th-century comedians.
>>
>>78544183
he asked how to understand it not why its good
>>
Watchmen, The Invisibles, The Sandman
>>
>>78544236
>>78543971
>i have never read a comic that doesnt have punching and superpowers
>>
Was it Cerberus or Bone that got really weird towards the end because the writer was going through a divorce?
>>
as far as overly analyzed comics go, at least one of them is Watchmen

if I had to venture a guess at the other two, one would be a grant morrison comic (invisibles or flex mentallo) and the third would probs be cerebus
>>
what is the meme trilogy of cartoons?
>>
>>78544236
replace The Invisibles with Red Son
>>
>>78544270
Cerebus. He founded his own religion.
>>
>>78544270
Neither.

The author of Cerebus divorced years before he went crazy.

He went crazy because he has schizophrenia (which he exacerbated through drug use) and because he refused all forms of treatment for it, cut himself off from all friends and family, and focused only on his work, pouring his madness into it.

So, for example, when he founded his own religion, he used 11 issues of the comic to explain that religion to his readers.
>>
>>78544314
>Red Son
>millar comics
>any semblance of complexity
stop
>>
>>78544263
Everything Moore's written is overrated dogshit that's only considered good by retards who've never read anything but capeshit and don't have anything good to compare it to.

Moore is a fucking hack who would be laughed out of any other medium.
>>
>>78544366
dude's got a 1000 page novel coming out sometime in the next year

can't wait to read it desu senpai
>>
>>78544323
>>78544328
Well, Cerberus sounds interesting if nothing else.
>>
File: The Bowing Machine.jpg (2 MB, 515x5700) Image search: [Google]
The Bowing Machine.jpg
2 MB, 515x5700
>>78544366
Nah, Moore's great. You're the one who needs to dig deeper.
>>
>>78544384
It's going to be terrible, just like everything else he's written. The only shit he's praised for are things where he rips off something already established and makes it edgier.
>>
File: Cerebus the Aardvark.jpg (166 KB, 1345x864) Image search: [Google]
Cerebus the Aardvark.jpg
166 KB, 1345x864
>>78544396
Half of it is decent.

Half of it is GOAT.

And somehow he found room for a little sliver of mind-numbing intellectual poison.
>>
>>78544366
I think Moore's one of the few cape writers who you can actually hold up against novelists. Obviously he's miles away from Joyce but I think he's on the level of BEE or Palahniuk. You also have to consider how good he is at working with an artist, I think he had a good unity with Gibbons in Watchmen.

That said, the great comic works are simply not going to be marvel or DC comics. Having the same writer and artist is basically essential unless both halves of the team are extremely well-fitted and talented.
>>
>>78543270
Watchmen, Maus, Fun Home
>>
>>78544477
Palahniuk would be great if he'd stop trying to be SHOCKING for the sake of being SHOCKING.
>>
Mouse, A Contract With God, Blankets
>>
>>78544516
Who does he think he is, BKV?
>>
>>78544516
Even Rant. which was his best in years, was tainted a bit with that.
>>
>>78544477
>You also have to consider how good he is at working with an artist

That's something he's absolutely terrible at.

http://home.insightbb.com/~fourcolorheros/free/WatchmenScript.pdf

Gibbons should be the one getting praise for cutting through Moore's masturbatory bullshit.
>>
>>78544366

I would definitively have said that about Moore, too, about a year ago. At that point I had read everything by him except From Hell. Then I read From Hell.

My opinion of him changed from "good mainstream science fiction / fantasy writer" to "very good mainstream comics writer". And it seems to me that you would consider comics as a less imaginative medium than regular prose. And that's horrible. Mostly, artists have one or two mediums they're good in. Moores probably only good at comics, but that doesn't make him bad at prose. It's like saying rugby players should be proficient in basketball because it's the "better" sport.
>>
>>78544531
He does do that too, doesn't he?

That's why I couldn't get into Saga.

I've got no time for that bullshit.
>>
>>78544583
jesu
>>
File: 1298998098560.jpg (31 KB, 391x364) Image search: [Google]
1298998098560.jpg
31 KB, 391x364
>>78544529

>Mouse
>>
>>78544583
>>78544448
I'm curious, how do you feel about a comic like >>78544404? What does the writer bring to the table versus what the artist brings to the table? What is it ripping off to make edgier?
>>
>>78543270
what is a meme trilogy?
>>
>>78543299
>literally, LITERALLY judging a book by its cover
jesus christ what a waste of good dubs
>>
>>78544645
The first thing you have to understand about a meme trilogy is that it's not a trilogy.

It's just three separate memes grouped together, and the idea that they belong together becomes a fourth meme.
>>
>>78544477
you're giving Joyce too much credit.
>>
>>78544448
>makes it edgier
So do you just pretend Supreme. 1963, and ABC's line of titles don't exist?
>>
>>78544583
He gets the best out of any artist he works with, I dont think you can deny that.
>>
>>78544460
I want to read it but looks like Cerebus is a long ride.
>>
Moore has some done interesting thing outside of comics. Like this sort of palindrome poem (sort of because palindromes go back letter by letter, while this one just goes word by word). But still, fuck. Can't think of any other comics writer who could pull off something like this.

Symmetry becomes it.
Come to ruin our impending feast,
a presence that nourishes suffering.
All things below voice his burning name.
His turmoil offers only truth
in which longer moments live.
Let consciousness recapture
the flicker it saw then.
Torch our continuity of thought now,
until that mind evaporates.
Lust after shadows in us.
Rend that lace of promises broken and white lies.
Regard our love of wreckage;
the way our heads thunder,
approaching that warning
pulse and temple of throbbing light
that is ASMODEUS.

ASMODEUS is that light
throbbing of temple and pulse,
warning that approaching thunder heads our way.
The wreckage of love.
Our regard lies white and broken.
Promises of lace that rend us,
in shadows, after lust evaporates.
Mind that until now thought of continuity,
our torch, then saw it flicker, the recapture:
consciousness let live moments longer,
which in truth only offers turmoil.
His name burning,
his voice below things.
All suffering nourishes that presence,
a feast impending,
our ruin to come.
It becomes symmetry.
>>
>>78544695
No im not. Obviously finnegans wake is a bit of a joke but dubliners, portrait & ulysses are all masterpieces and even more impressively they're all incredibly different
>>
>>78544740
The longest ride.

In all of the comic book world's history, it holds the record.

It's the longest Western comic book ever made by a single author.
>>
>>78544529
Blankets isn't good anymore since Craig Thompson was deemed problematic
>>
>>78544675
This is when you realize that most people on 4chan are stupid.
>>
>>78544790
Is it still going or is there like a complete box set?
>>
>>78544807
I thought it was because Craig is a pretty poor writer, but an amazing artist
>>
>shitting on works that actually bring something to the table in a medium full of generic genre tripe
to be honest with you lads, I would much prefer more overwrought and self-important comics to more steaming helpings of quirky indie shit or by-the-book action shit or basically 99% of what gets published today
>>
>>78544872
Its finished and the big collections you want are the cerebus phonebooks
>>
>>78544875
you didn't see all the complaints over Habibi? the dude is orientalist or something no one can read his comics anymore
>>
>>78544897
Oh okay, thanks for the information anon I'm looking into it.
>>
>>78544872
It finished in 2004, after 27 continuous years.

I suggest pirating/purchasing the first two collections to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0919359086/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0919359078/
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3g0isqdrh2fd4u7/Archive+Edition+Complete+Cerebus+Vol+1+%28of+05%29+%28001-050%29+%281977-1983%29+%28NoAlias%29.cbr

Issues #1-25 are the "okay" issues, and issues #26-50 are the beginning of the "GOAT" issues.
>>
>>78545008
Thanks for the link.
Seems interesting as hell.
finally something other than rick and morty to put on my kindle.
>>
>>78545008
>>78544460
>Issues 1 - 25 are "okay"
I've only read the first ~100 or so issues, and if there is literally NOTHING "as bad" as the first issues until the YHWH bullshit, then I'm stoked.

I really liked the first 25 issues. As someone who's read A LOT of 70's Marvel/Warren/Etc, it's great. You also see Sim improve as an artist pretty much panel to panel.

>>78545079
I've been VERY pleased with the time and money I've spent on Cerebus over the past year.
>>
>>78544448
>The only shit he's praised for are things where he rips off something already established and makes it edgier.

You talking about Moore here or Grant Morrison?
>>
>>78545171
There's some "bad" stuff coming up before Chasing YWHW, but I guess it depends on your definition of "bad".

The comics remain well-drawn, the dialogue is still authentic, the plot progresses naturally, but...

There are some characters (like ___Jaka___) that the author spends the first 200 issues liking, and then spends the next 100 issues disliking, and ham-fistedly trying to convince the readers to dislike them too. And so a lot of fans really don't like the direction that the author chose for his characters.

Also, some walls of text. You'll enjoy them in Jaka's Story, but each time they return you'll get less and less enjoyment from them.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.