[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the actual fuck did I just read - and why does Frank Miller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
What the actual fuck did I just read - and why does Frank Miller hate Superman so much?
>>
>>78505208
TDKSA is good though
>>
File: Stan-Lee.jpg (138 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
Stan-Lee.jpg
138 KB, 970x546
>>78505208
Wow, a brand new set of Hulk hands for Christmas! That guy's parents must really love him! Excelsior!
>>
because he overshadows his bat husbando
>>
The Dark Knight Strikes Again is one of the only patrician capeshit comics.Kill yourself OP.
>>
>>78505337
kill yourself, my stan
>>
>>78505767
Stan is eternal
>>
>>78505320
Why are people suddenly saying this?
>>
>>78505320
Yeah, too bad Lynn dropped the ball with the coloring. Wasn't the coloring process some experiment? I mean digital coloring was nothing new by this time
>>
>>78505208
>Frank Miller hate Superman so much?
Don't know or care just waiting for the dude to drop.
>>
>>78505785
>stan's day of birth today
>lemmy kilmeister dies

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
>>
File: etlnQvs.jpg (132 KB, 1127x625) Image search: [Google]
etlnQvs.jpg
132 KB, 1127x625
>the "i hate TDKR and TDKSA was the true masterpiece" meme
end this
>>
>>78506318
There have been people championing this book since it came out. Obviously not the majority, but it's nothing new really.

It certainly isn't one of the only "patrician capeshit comics," but it's fine for what it is: an exaggerated romp through the DC universe.

>>78505208
>>78506370
This also needs to stop. Miller does not hate Superman just because he shows him getting his ass beat.
>>
>>78506414
>Miller does not hate Superman
Sure, and Michael Jackson is still alive.
>>
>>78506414
>Miller does not hate Superman just because he shows him getting his ass beat.

Have you even read TDKSA? It goes well beyond Superman getting his ass beat.
>>
>>78506414
Please don't comment anymore.
>>
>>78506451
Miller's Dark Knight books have always been about Batman's excessive, compulsory drive towards his idea of justice. If you really think he's painting Bruce in decidedly positive light in these books, you clearly haven't read any books without pictures or superheroes in it, and thus do not understand dramatic irony.
>>
>>78506519
Love how not one word of your post is pertaining to Superman, brah.
>>
>>78506519
Most fanboys only talk about DKR for the Batman and Superman fight. Two guys punching each other is what most readers take away form that story.

The comic book industry deserved Youngblood
>>
>>78506519
I never mentioned Batman. We're talking about Superman here.
>>
>>78506541
>>78506563

Once again, you fail to read into what was being said because the idea wasn't tactlessly shoved into your faces.

Batman and company beating on Superman/Superman being portrayed as the antagonist is done to show how Batman is being irrational and excessive.

>>78506553
>Two guys punching each other is what most readers take away form that story.
I know; I'm basically talking to a wall with this kind of stuff. It's the only thing these people want.
>>
>>78506318
People started liking Dark Knight Strikes Again once its predictions started coming true.
I can't say I didn't enjoy that myself.
>>
>>78505416
So shitty art is patrician now?
>>
File: 1442960115345.jpg (11 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1442960115345.jpg
11 KB, 320x320
>>78506390
>lemmy kilmeister dies
Welp, now I'm upset. Not as bad as pic, but still pretty bad.
>>
>>78506596
>Batman and company beating on Superman/Superman being portrayed as the antagonist is done to show how Batman is being irrational and excessive.
I'm not even talking about Superman getting beat up. He's portrayed as an absolute failure of a man and is spit on by every character in the book.
>>
File: 1329604984080.gif (1 MB, 384x214) Image search: [Google]
1329604984080.gif
1 MB, 384x214
>>78506651
>he still isn't getting it
You guys make me ashamed to call myself a Superman fan.
>>
>>78506677
Get what? All you've done is deflect.
>>
>>78506677
He's talking about the merits of Superman's own character in the book. Again, nothing about Batman, Batfag.
>>
>>78506651
>He's portrayed as an absolute failure of a man and is spit on by every character in the book.
30 years summary of Superman's history in and out of universe in one sentence partly thanks to Miller. Nice.
>>
>>78506340
Yeah it was the first time they tried something like that.
>>
>>78505208
>hate superman
he doesn't hate superman you retard.
>>
>>78505208
>Frank Miller hate Superman

Other way around. Miller said Superman was meant to represent a soldier and Batman was meant to represent a terrorist.
>>
Why are people saying TDKSA's "predictions" came true? What came true?
>>
>>78506398
>"i hate TDKR

But both are great you faggot.
>>
>>78510078
Only a few people say that, but on the whole it just has to do with the political and social landscape in general.
>>
File: Holy-Terror-interior-2.jpg (167 KB, 1250x966) Image search: [Google]
Holy-Terror-interior-2.jpg
167 KB, 1250x966
>>78505208
It's shit, but I like it.
Both the writing and art are wonky as hell, with some genuinely great stuff sprinkled in.
Same with Holy Terror.
>>
>>78505208

Wasn't Batman supposed to be retiring and training a new generation by the end of TDKR? that whole "so long as we keep quiet" thing?
>>
>>78505208

No, he doesn't hate him, he just loves to use him as his ultimate strawman.
Superman is a good guy, so he's a whiny pussy who lets superhitlers govern the world, Batman is a mad bastard, so he's the hero who just comes in and kicks everybody's ass and every problem is solved.
>>
>>78506414
Whether or not he personally hates Superman, he's gone on the record saying Superman and Batman hating each other is the core of their relationship.
Which proves he doesn't understand either fucking character at all and is likely a petty little shit who can't understand hashing a friend who isn't lockstep Wirth his own views.
>>
In spite of how much nerds hate Miller's Superman, I genuinely like him. He's a good guy on a terrible position. Superman still is helping people and he loves mankind so much that he's willing to become into a servant.
>>
>>78506645
>he hasn't seen the 500- reply sticky on /tv/ with the epic meme post with 400 replies

lol
>>
>>78512591
that's 5000, not 500
>>
File: DKR.png (40 KB, 786x502) Image search: [Google]
DKR.png
40 KB, 786x502
>>78512377
I wonder if that was the intention.
>>
>>78505208
If you pay attention he hates Supes GL and Dick Grayson. For some fucking reason besides it's his creation everytime he shove Carrie Kelly into everything he writes about Batman. The man it's obsessed with her.
>>
>>78514120
If he hates Dick then why is ASBAR Dick best Dick?
>>
>>78514120
What makes you think he hates Dick Grayson?
>>
>>78514592
Because of the shit that is the continuation of TDR
>>
>>78514696
Just because a writer makes something bad happen to a character doesn't mean they hate them. It's pretty clear TDKSA Dick is pretty much Bruce's fault and that ASBAR Bruce is not meant to be a hero, especially at first.
>>
>>78505208
He doesn't? Guess you didn't read very well.
The comic is about the state of modern supeheroes with a commentary on modern America as well, Superman is trying to do the "Truth, justice and the American way" thing in a world where that just doesn't work anymore both in the state of our real world and in the comic world. Miller thinks the only kind of superhero people want now is an edgy, non powered vigilante who still beats up everything even the most powerful people. Miller believes he had a serious hand in creating that with TDKR and feels like it's his legacy and right to play with and shit on. ASBR is the pisstake version of this, DK2 is the more serious take, which isn't nearly as effective but is still pretty good if only for how batshit the story is.
Miller clearly doesn't hate Superman though, he writes him as a great man who was put in a horrible position, in part by Batman, he had to become a pawn of the US government to be able to continue helping people and in classic Superman fashion he didn't give up on helping everyone.
You have shit reading comprehension and no ability to look below the surface. You also have no idea of Miller's role in the industry or the climate when the book came out.
Basically you need to step the fuck up
>>
>>78514120
>hates GL
>makes him a god
Just fuck off retard
>>
Dark Knight Strikes Again is better than Dark Knight Returns

It was cool to see Miller make use of the Justice League characters instead of full focus on gritty edge-lord Dark Knight again
>>
>>78514866
Oh really? By saying he is so slow to take good decisions and that he is almost as smart as a retard?
>>
>>78514998
that was young Hal
who grew up to become a god
>>
>>78506677

>he still isn't getting it

then explicitly refute everything he's saying and spell out exactly what he's not getting otherwise you're the one embarrassing superman fans
>>
>>78514866
>>78514933
man you are so retards
>>
>>78505208
It's cocaine comics, Frank pretty much lost his mind after 9/11. Which resulted in the masterpieces that were Holy Terror and TDKSA
>>
>>78514998
>I've only read 3 pages of ASBR but I know exactly how Miller feels about Hal!
Just fuck off
>>
>>78511667
So what you're saying is that Miller doesn't hate Superman, Miller just finds Superman to be pathetic.

For Miller, Superman is that dumb puppy that gets his head stuck in a bucket everyday, and in doing so is endearing in his retardation.
>>
>>78512758
Whoever wrote that is on the right track but forgot to mention that Superman also made a deal with the government because he wanted to prevent them from arresting the other superheroes.
>>
>>78516011
>>78511667
No, the general thing is that when Miller writes a Batman story, Superman is the foe. Miller wants to get around to writing a Superman story where Batman is the foe.
>>
>>78506340

Yes; old comics were colored by a sort of assembly line process, and done by people without much formal artistic knowledge or training; often housewives looking for a job to make some money. They were instructed to use bright colors and apply them without any sort of color theory or restraint, just so the colors could be reproduced easily when printed, and so objects stood out from characters. DKSA was Miller attempting to recreate that aspect of those comics.
>>
>>78516094
He truly best Superman then
>>
>>78516011
No, he sees Superman as a tragic figure who sacrifices everything to keep helping people. Batman is threatening his ability to do this, so he goes against him
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.