[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just why did they have to make him so fucking bland?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 23
File: milesmorales.0.jpg (410 KB, 1920x1733) Image search: [Google]
milesmorales.0.jpg
410 KB, 1920x1733
Just why did they have to make him so fucking bland?
>>
File: 1450580302402.jpg (80 KB, 719x719) Image search: [Google]
1450580302402.jpg
80 KB, 719x719
theyd be accused of being racist if they made him a realistic black adolescent
>>
File: 1424096967173.jpg (176 KB, 864x431) Image search: [Google]
1424096967173.jpg
176 KB, 864x431
>>78500793
Personality is one thing
Why'd they have to make his power such a shitty always-win button
>>
The blandness didn't bother me. I dropped it after multiple issues of the plot going nearly fucking nowhere.
>>
File: Blaxploitation Batman.jpg (242 KB, 1885x887) Image search: [Google]
Blaxploitation Batman.jpg
242 KB, 1885x887
To avoid charges of racism. In their mind it would be better to create a "minority representation" character that is boring as hell than to create one that gets everyone's favorite moral outragists flustered.
>>
>>78500793
To make him an everyman, so that kids that weren't black could look at him and go 'just like me!' and self-insert.
It's not an effective measure for the white nerds that have been self-inserting into Peter for decades already though, and that's where it failed.

Had a couple good arcs tho.
>>
So it wouldn't offend anyone.
>>
>>78500892
>posts the fight where it literally wasn't an always win button

I agree though, but that's Bendis' shitty writing.
>>
>>78500812
How would making him a normal kid be racist?
Not every black kid acts like the ones you see on tv
>>
>>78500793
literally created to please people who only care about race
shouldnt shock you that he doesnt have any personality
>>
>>78500937
>lying on the ground and can't move
>uses Venom Blast and wins
Seems like he won because of venom blast

Even if Norman took a few doses, he was still downed by Venom Blast too
>>
>>78500956
right now, he is a normal kid, and some normal kids are bland

they just werent able to make him an interesting normal kid
>>
File: 2222.jpg (384 KB, 1250x1920) Image search: [Google]
2222.jpg
384 KB, 1250x1920
>>78500793
>make him a trust fund kid trying to do the right thing
RACIST
>make him a middle class yuppie with no perspective
RACIST
>make him a poor kid surrounded by crime and poverty
RACIST
>make him ghetto
RACIST
>make him anything
RACIST
>>
>>78500989
We have very different definitions of 'winning' if you think one hit in a fight where he ultimately gets his ass whooped constitutes a win.

Also I said I agree, so bringing up more points to me just makes you look like an argumentative ass-- wait we're on /co/. Carry on.
>>
I think he's bland because he works good as a straight man.

Like, I'm loath to give Spider-verse credit for anything, but Miles having the 60's cartoon Spider-man to bounce off of made him entertaining.
>>
File: 1428349334948.jpg (387 KB, 768x1583) Image search: [Google]
1428349334948.jpg
387 KB, 768x1583
>>
File: 1444104945622.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1444104945622.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>
File: 1439060829917.jpg (3 MB, 3975x3056) Image search: [Google]
1439060829917.jpg
3 MB, 3975x3056
>>78501151
>>
>>78501097
The problem is that Miles doesn't operate in a setting with enough Wacky for him to operate as a straight man on his own.
There's a reason everyone loves Ganke.
>>
>Peter died trying to help Captain America so he could get into the Ultimates
>Miles took down 10~ hydra guys and got into the Ultimates

>Peter had to make his suit and webshooters
>Miles got spoonfed a suit and webshooters, he even had to give the web formula to his actually smart friend to make some for him

>Every goddamn arc has a Peter support character cocksucking him and saying how great he is as Spider-Man
>They fucking brought back Peter and Norman so Miles could get more Spider-Man points

>Peter, Aunt May, Gwen and MJ all died in the incursion, right after they got a "happy ending" riding into the sunset.
>Miles survived, never got into a fight in Secret Wars, his Ultimate End fight was never shown, and now he's in the mainline universe with both of his parents and all of his friends.

>Venom Blast™
>Venom Blast Explosion™
>Invisibilty + Villian goes "HURR DON'T RUN FROM ME!!!" Panel + Venom Blast™
>He beats down Dr Doom and all of his Hydrafags off panel.
>>
File: 1445607418112.jpg (67 KB, 1027x320) Image search: [Google]
1445607418112.jpg
67 KB, 1027x320
>>78501298
>>They fucking brought back Peter and Norman so Miles could get more Spider-Man points
>>
>>78501298
>>Peter had to make his suit and webshooters
>>Miles got spoonfed a suit and webshooters, he even had to give the web formula to his actually smart friend to make some for him

Don't see how this is a bad thing.
>>
>>78501285
>The problem is that Miles doesn't operate in a setting with enough Wacky for him to operate as a straight man on his own.

I mean, ANAD Avengers MIGHT be that setting, but so far he hasn't done fuck all except get blown back by a Chitauri warlord.

I mean it's only 3 issues in though so we'll see.
>>
>>78501298
Did they ever explain the peter thing?

Venom blast is hands down his worse trait
>>
>>78501441
Sam could be a good Wise Guy to balance Miles's Straight Man.
>>
>>78501474
Oz Formula™ or Bendis
>>
File: Miles Morales.jpg (45 KB, 550x806) Image search: [Google]
Miles Morales.jpg
45 KB, 550x806
>>78500793
For fucks sake. This question again?

1 - Bendis played it safe with Miles' characterization because: A- He's scared of pissing off minorities. B - he doesn't know how to write non-white characters well (to an extent).

2 - Miles has no unique quirks or physical characteristics. (Glasses, Light Afro, stutter, etc.) He needs something to differentiate him from not only Peter - but the shitload of other Black characters in the Marvel Universe.

3 - Bendis can't into plot tension and conflict. There's nothing wrong with Miles having more powers than Peter (Silk, Kaine and a few other Spider-Characters do as well). It's more of a matter of Bendis not being creative enough to give him unique and engaging enemies which play off and counter his powers.

4 - The entire premise of his character isn't "Person takes on the mantle of Spider-Man from Peter, but becomes his own person". I hate to admit it, but Bendis turned Miles into a Black Peter. He's a meek, well-mannered kid who happens to be from Brooklyn, as opposed to Queens.

5 - Age. He's too young at 13 (15 after the timeskip). He should've started as a kid at Peter's age. Anything less runs the risk of taking the easy way out by making Miles a gullible young boy who's terrified of the prospect of becoming a hero (which is exactly what happened). The whole "I don't want to do this! I never asked to be a hero!" routine is cliché and overdone (but not bad if executed properly)

6 - Most importantly of all, he doesn't change. Even with the other 5 points mention above, the problem would be remedied if Bendis had the balls to change him throughout his story. He should've taken advantage of the timeskip to instill a more permanent change in Miles.

Make him a snarky, sarcastic fuck (the inverse of genuine, meek, and heroic Peter). Let him be truly hurt by his mistakes to the point where he begrudgingly becomes a hero through adversity and strife - not plot convenience.
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
>>78500956

It's not the ones I see on TV it's the ones I see every day. The vast majority of which don't seem to give a shit about anything other than petty stuff.

Personally a young black hero being a little hood would make a ton of sense. A lot of these guys lose loved ones to gangs and drugs. It'd make sense for one of them to say they've had enough and become a hero.

But simply pointing out black on black murder or the higher crime rates and drug use in their community gets you labeled a racist by people who have no idea what the word racist actually means.
>>
>>78501595
>The whole "I don't want to do this! I never asked to be a hero!" routine is cliché and overdone
Mostly by Peter himself

Peter's not an altruistic hero, he's a responsible one driven by a massive guilt complex. He's often wanted to quit through various incarnations
>>
Because making a black person bland and characterless is the easiest way not to offend anyone.
>>
>>78501742

There's nothing /pol/ about this thread. Miles is just plain character with nothing stand out about him.
>>
>>78501918
>Because making a black person bland and characterless is the easiest way not to offend anyone.
Why do white people keep saying this when the real reason is that white people are historically afraid of buying 'black books'?
Dwayne McDuffie and Christopher Priest have even said as much.
>>
>>78502115

Because there's no way of proving definitively whether either explanation is 100% correct.
>>
>>78500793

This is an easy answer and one every single person here got wrong.

Bendis didn't give a shit.

Mark Millar got the idea to kill off Peter, Bendis agreed, and made up Miles just because he was something different.

Unlike with Kamala, who I'm pretty sure Wilson spent as much time caring about as she does her real life children (which is fine, as I love Kamala), Miles was for Bendis always just part of the job.
>>
>>78501041

>Monogamous privileged

That's not a thing, is it? I'm a total libfag but come on, there's no way we're treating poly like a sexual orientation, right?

That doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>78502330
The entire point is just kind of being a smug douche to piss off tumblrtards.
>>
>>78502330

You're overthinking it, he's just trying to bait people.
>>
Can we just talk about how fucking bad Ultimate End #5 was
>>
File: OHTHaTGANKE.jpg (57 KB, 417x390) Image search: [Google]
OHTHaTGANKE.jpg
57 KB, 417x390
>>78502455
Spider-milfs back.
So there's that.
>>
>>78500956
>Not every black kid acts like the ones you see on tv
That isn't where the stereotype comes from anon.
>>
>>78502470
Silver lining
>>
>>78502115
It's a shame Dwayne McDuffie will never write Miles.
>>
>>78501395
me neither but Peterfags will bitch about anything
>>
File: Wire07.jpg (43 KB, 506x316) Image search: [Google]
Wire07.jpg
43 KB, 506x316
>>78502115
The answer is because both of those statements are true.
Most people don't know how to write black characters without them being OVER THE THE TOP GHETTO CLOWNMAN STEREOTYPE or completely without an identity.
Or otherwise people just won't buy books by black writers. I've seen Dwayne talk about the mail he gets about how 3 black people on a cover means he's shoving an agenda down people's throats

The only black character from comics that I can think of that I like off the top of my head is Barracuda, and that's because beneath the hollering and yelling, there's a bit of cunning that makes him entertaining to read about.

Personally, I think the issue is that black people are still seen as characters in themselves first rather than people later, which is why most people only know how to write them in one of two ways.
For a good example of how to actually write black people, look at The Wire. Even though a lot of these people share similar experiences and background, a lot of the characters have distinctive personalities that make them different from one another. Slim Charles isn't the same guy as Weebay. Poot and Bodie are two different people, and you couldn't just replace them with one another. We see them together most of the time, and we can see when they're divided on a subject or together, even based on minor shit.

If we had the people behind TWD writing The Wire, a lot of these characters would have been interchangeable.
>>
>>78501595
>Bendis turned Miles into a Black Peter. He's a meek, well-mannered kid who happens to be from Brooklyn, as opposed to Queens.
Peter was a dickish nerd in 616 and a moody nerd in Ultimate. He was bullied but that was he was physically weak compared to Flash and he tended to talk back to him.
>>
>>78501175
Source?
>>
>>78500793
No idea, he started off so interesting but as it went on he became such a fucking Peter Parker clone.
>>
>>78501809
But he's not a hood rat. You shouldn't need to default to gangland bullshit for a black character to be interesting. It's just being lazy.

Hell they're being lazy with him right now, writing him with the same smart mouthing shtick as parker spider.
>>
>>78502285
This seems the most likely answer. Now they're just throwing various characterizations at the wall to see what sticks for him.
>>
Should have made a book about Jessica.
>>
>>78502955
The arc with his Uncle was great, yeah. But then it just became "Miles meets and gets approval from Peter's cast", one approval every few issues.
>>
>>78501809
>But simply pointing out black on black murder or the higher crime rates and drug use in their community gets you labeled a racist by people who have no idea what the word racist actually means.

Sure is racist bullshit in here.
>>
>>78501809
>white dude thinks middle class black teenagers from the suburbs are gangbangers

This is what happens when your knowledge of the world comes from watching TV. Do I even need to point out the fact that, yes, this is racist and that your assessment of what Miles's character should be is founded less on the individual background of said character and more on the color of his skin?
>>
>>78502673
>Personally, I think the issue is that black people are still seen as characters in themselves first rather than people later

White people still see black people as not even people, but something less than human. They have spent hundreds of years convincing themselves of this in order justify all the shit they did to them and all the shit they still continue doing them.

Then again, that's usually how most white authors treat their characters of color. As stereotypical as possible.
>>
but hes not bland
>>
>>78501809
>I don't know of any black people aside from what I see on tv.
>>
Miles is okay when not being written by Bendis. But like >>78501097 said he works when partnered up with somebody. Honestly when it comes to black Spider-Men I prefer Spider-Punk and Static
>>
>>78504088
This is some of the more pathetic paranoid raving I have seen from /co/mbler.
>>
>>78501151
>>78501175
Fuck you, I'm still mad.
>Ult Doom even if possessed by Richards is tough enough to murder zombie Fantastic Four with ease, gets chosen by a Lovecraftian horror as the most powerful creature over Thor
>spends some time in zombieverse with the last being seen of him is him confronting a bunch of zombie supers like a badass.
>SEVERAL YEARS LATER
>jobs like a bitch to Miles

I'm not even a doomfag, but fucking hell.
>>
>>78502859
Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man #12
>>
>>78504256
He's not far off. Ever visit /pol/ or Stormfront? They are essentially what happens when you remove the filter, apply a sense of anonymity, and allow GIFT to take over. The Internet lit up like a Christmas light at the reveal of Finn in the initial Star Wars teaser.

Tally up the number of white writers who have demonstrated the ability to develop complex and multifaceted black characters, and the result will likely be a very short list.
>>
>>78501175
Literally a Mary Sue
>>
>>78500956
normal kids are boring anon
>>
>>78501298
its almost a metaphor for how today blacks have gotten into media and college
>>
>>78501900
Weirdly, Ultimate Peter never quit, even when Captain America TOLD him to. After Gwen died and everything that happened in the Clone Saga, 616-Peter probably would've quit, but not Ultimate. It just serves as one more reason Miles is worse than Peter.
>>
>>78501175
Why is Miles dumping Jolyne Kujo?
>>
>>78504119
>>78504074
>>78504016

Can't tell if you guys are being sarcastic or not but I live in South and probably have talked to more black people and have more black friends than you do.

I get to sit here and listen to how their literal crackhead mother beat them as kids, how they don't know their father and they can't read or write to save their lives. It's sad. I'd love to give my friends a hero who rose up out of that, that they can relate too.
>>
>>78506527
This entire thread is about how Miles is awful, so I think that question is already answered.
>>
File: 1435640086825.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1435640086825.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>78502673
Bunk is best girl
>>
>>78506693
Thread is about why he's plain, not awful.
>>
>>78502115
Because they do. It sucks but static getting popular was completely out of the norm. If you put black main character or minority characters sometimes people don't give a shit they just won't read it.

Though, black cinema doesn't really help the cause and in fact hurt it by going for lowest common denominators and perpetuating stereotypes and godawful movies.
>>
>>78504571
I feel like I'm in the minority of people who didn't care that he was black but he was pretty ugly and kind of no-name but since that is what they were going for i let it slide. I just wish Denzil was like 30 years younger.
>>
>>78507203
That's because Hollywood jews and white liberals got together and decided that black people making movies about black characters for black audiences was 'exploitation'.
>>
>>78501742
This right here is one of the big problems. No one is screaming NIGGER but Milesfags get all riled up regardless. No one is willing to admit that Miles suffers from a lack of growth, and so Miles continues to languish in Peter's shadow.
>>
>>78503615
Maybe he should be. It would at least differentiate him from Peter. He'll growing out of it could be his arc.
>>
I thought he was a poor kid like Parker
>>
>>78500959
And here I thought it's because of Bendis, Bendis? fetish.
>>
>>78503644
THIS
>>
>>78502115
>white people are historically afraid of buying 'black books
Not afraid, IJDGAF.
>>
>>78500812
Static didn't have that problem.
>>
>>78500812
>realistic black adolescent
Dare we try, /co/? Could we make a Realistic Black Adolescent character that isn't cliche or a stereotype?

How would you even try such a thing that doesn't involve no dad, gang member or gang member in family, the ghetto and drugs?
>>
File: 1447370490949.jpg (111 KB, 447x473) Image search: [Google]
1447370490949.jpg
111 KB, 447x473
>hey look its a thread about miles, lets see what its about
>MILES MORALES IS BLACK, BLACK BLACK BLACK

White people make it hard for FICTIONAL characters who are brown just be people
>>
>>78509609
Make him Julien Lowe from The Shield minus the gay aspect. (or you can keep it, if you want to.)
That's one interesting non-cliche black character I can remember right now anyway.
>>
I like miles, he just a kid trying to live, with spiderpowers

Thats relateable
>>
>>78509633
But his blackness had no bearing on his character. It was never mentioned, it didn't influence his behaviour. He just as easily could have been a white gay cop trying to help those (white) gang kids.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 309x309) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 309x309
>>78500793
All black people ale bland by default.
>>
>>78509629
The posters making those comments aren't white though, I checked. Why are you racist to the point you instantly think white people make such comments when they are raised in white guilt? When will the white people stop being oppressed?
>>
>>78509671
>But his blackness had no bearing on his character. It was never mentioned
Isn't that called doing it right?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-28-04-04-16.png (802 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-28-04-04-16.png
802 KB, 2560x1440
Peter and miles essentially have the same character.

They're both boring teenagers that find a way how to complain about everything. They put on the mask and they beat ass.

Peter is a boring character, peter has no actual plot development in his goals or character

Miles is a kid who's trying to be a hero but is dealing with his parents disappearing and new foes and enemies. The only difference is that miles is not weighed down by Peter's guilt when he has the lift a heavy object he has to save his life

The only reason why this thread exists is because miles does not live up to your preconceived notion of what you believe a black teenager should be.

Because a lot of white people in this thread can't even handle a fictional character being his own person.

That happens to have brown skin
>>
Static is proably the only cool black character.

Everyone else feels into generic horseshit
-buzzcut
-stoic
-super rational
-nothing about juvenile past to not offend dumblr
>>
>>78500793
Can't take any risks.

Also color-swapped Peter Parker.
>>
>>78509764
That's called a coconut, or an oreo, depending on where in the world you reside; brown on the outside, white on the inside.
Blacks want characters that are black, and not just in skin colour. But you write a character that is black in any sort of negative way and you better get your britches tailored to accommodate that second asshole they'll rip you.
>>
File: 1451326411437.jpg (97 KB, 523x521) Image search: [Google]
1451326411437.jpg
97 KB, 523x521
>>78509757
How would you know if they are not white
they are anonymous

I know there white cus black people dont insist that they are in gangs with criminals

But how can you make that assumtion that they are not white
>>
>>78509736
Na white people are the most bland, but you never look at them and judge that
>>
>>78509807
You clearly dont know what "blacks" want do you pol
>>
>>78509829
>You clearly dont know what "blacks" want do you pol
I guess not. I wish some of them would tell us instead of just shitting on every depiction of their people that you find in the media.
>>
>>78509807
There is no such thing as a "white personality" or a "black personality" thoes are false steriotypes

You see the melitin in your skin does not dictate the content of your character pol
>>
>>78509854
>the only one shitting on "every dipiction" is you pol
>>
>>78509859
>There is no such thing as a "white personality" or a "black personality"
You think 'oreo' or 'coconut' as an insult was made up by whites? Blacks are the ones who care about blackness so much.
>>
>>78502330
It's still under debate, and very as in 2015 new, but yes, they're quite serious about it.

>there's no way we're treating poly like a sexual orientation, right?

No. The general argument is that non monogamy is a separate tier under intersectionality and the usual cultural Marxist critiques to it.

Whether this becomes big enough to have a banner at the pride parade has yet to be seen.
>>
File: 1448927664345.jpg (275 KB, 650x827) Image search: [Google]
1448927664345.jpg
275 KB, 650x827
Blame racism on the fight against racism.

Those that claim they fight for equal rights (or just the rights for blacks) have created a no-win situation for themselves through not caring what tactic they used to further their cause, "It's okay as long as it's to fight racism!" This ends justify the means mentality has poisoned the well.

White writers can't try to embrace minority characters in their writing under any circumstance because there's always a reason it's racist. You can't have black writers writing black characters because the people who ARE openminded enough not to immediately call it an agenda push are too frightened of being racist to even come near black people or black culture. They've been told all their life WHITEY STAY AWAY FROM MY CULTURE by the black people themselves.

This is the future the fight for equality chose. It's not the one it wanted, but it's the one it crafted with it's own thoughts and deeds because the ends don't, in fact, justify the means.
>>
>>78501298
There had better be a good reason for why Miles' mother is alive again.
>>
>>78510229
Yes, it's called Secret Wars.
>>
>>78509854
They all probably want different things. You can't satisfy all of them. Hell, I remember "bland" being thrown towards hispanic characters in comics here
>>
>>78510320
I hope we get a better reason than just "Secret Wars shit happens". Miles' supporting cast that were still alive up until the final incursion is one thing, but someone who had been dead for months (it may have even been a year, I can't remember) before that is kind of hard for me to accept without any real explanation. They might as well bring 616 Gwen Stacy back to life, in that case.
>>
>>78509807
>Blacks want characters that are black, and not just in skin colour.
Silly names included? Names like JaTavious?
>>
>>78510395
>They might as well bring 616 Gwen Stacy back to life, in that case.
>all of sudden we have Peter speaking how Gwen is innocent & pure
>>
>>78501041
this
>>
>>78509772
He straight up quit being a superhero. Twice. Because he couldn't deal with with the fallout. What little personal triumph to be gained from his overcoming such tragedies was nullified when they brought him into 616 anyway. All that time spent building him up, all the desperate attempts at appealing to comics oldfags, gone, and like so many other superheroes, the audience is expected to like him Just Because.

Now he's even more like Peter. A no account loser bitch-ass nigga who people will defend anyway. Maybe after he sees Kamala get her shit pushed in he'll run off crying and hide in his daddy's arms for a year again.
>>
>>78515305
Yo, why you gotta bring Kam into this?
>>
File: 1423767704433.jpg (23 KB, 171x250) Image search: [Google]
1423767704433.jpg
23 KB, 171x250
>>78510471
>Gwen is innocent & pure

Gwen benefits from massive nostalgia goggles on the part of writers.

MJ didn't win because she was conceived to be Peter's ideal love interest, she won because Gwen was a bitch and MJ was interesting
>>
>>78517691
She's expected to be paired up with Miles so he can leech of her popularity/goodwill
>>
File: Free art 1.png (204 KB, 646x580) Image search: [Google]
Free art 1.png
204 KB, 646x580
>>78502115

I don't know, Write a miles like peter parker and ben reily mix together.

Or just write miles as a black version of ben reliy.
>>
>>78500793
Ok how about this. Name a spider character that isn't bland. Oh right you can't.
>>
>>78500793
okay so i've heard plenty of how Miles is not only just a boring character/spider-man but how would /co/ make him better? Get rid of his easy winning venom-blast? develop him as an actual black teenager? What?
>>
>>78517901
Write Miles as Gangsta Kaine
Miles wants to be Gangasta but the universe won't let him.
>>
>>78517827
>Miles so he can leech of her popularity/goodwill
You say this like Kamala sells more than him.
>>
>>78518296
As far as we know she does, because marvel won't release their digital sales.
>>
>>78518344
Well going by diamond numbers she doesn't.
>>
>>78517963
Give him some non-nerd interests, have he and Judge be really into crate digging and collecting records or something. Now that he's in 616, put him in a Future Foundation after school program where he gets to play the straightman to Bentley and Franklin and all those redonkulous Marvel kids.

I don't think venom blast needs to be excised, just nerfed to the point that people with superhuman physiology aren't One-Hit-KO'd by it, considering it's based off of Spider-Woman's it should work similar to that but with a shorter range obviously.
>>
>>78517963
>how would /co/ make him better?
I would not trust /co/ to write any character, especially a black one considering the lame characters /co/ has created.
>>
File: miles vs kamala.jpg (30 KB, 159x281) Image search: [Google]
miles vs kamala.jpg
30 KB, 159x281
>>78518375
Yes, she does.
>>
>>78518855
now go back and compare that to Miles first year
>>
>>78518855
>>78518890
Why's it gotta be a competition?
The fact that two new characters sell solo books above cancellation numbers is enigmatic as it stands.

Carol's bitch ass couldn't even do that during Marvel Now.
>>
>>78518890
But that wouldn't show how popular he currently is.
>>
>>78518855
What numbers are those? What is 1-12?
Miles' first issue sold around 87k.
Second was around 52k.
Third was about the same.
>>
>>78519022
That's Miles second run
>>
But hey at least he's black AND Hispanic

Who cares about anything else lol
>>
>>78510395
I don't mind since her death was terrible. I'm just happy someone other than Bendis gets to write him because every good idea he has for Miles is matched by a bad one.
>>
>>78519022
2014-2015 run
>>78519059
I am curious if the hispanic comic readers feel like Miles is representation for them.
>>
>>78519140
>I'm just happy someone other than Bendis gets to write him because every good idea he has for Miles is matched by a bad one.
Bendis is still writing his main series.
>>
>>78519144
The blatinos also hispanic isn't even a race. Honestly I don't even think Miles once brought up his race in his book
>>
>>78519045
>>78519144
Well that's not really a proper comparison then, is it? Kamala, like Miles, was picked up by the mainstream media when her series launched.

If you wanted to do a proper sales figure analysis, look at the last few issues of both titles leading up to Secret Wars, or wait till the Miles title comes out next year and compare the Ms. Marvel relaunch against that.
>>
>>78519168
Yeah but he's shown up in TAH and reaction seemed to be more positive and he's on a team by a component writer where he was also positively received by /co/. As long as Bendis doesn't do something catastrophic he might get warmed up to and develop better. That's my hope at least.
>>
>>78501742
Hahahaaha
>>
>>78519248
>As long as Bendis doesn't do something catastrophic
He's writing Civil war 2
>>
>>78519144
No. I mean for one he's half black which I'm not so it's already as far from me as can be. He doesn't grab my attention. I feel a better connection with more interesting characters regardless of race. Like static, blade, and spawn. Those guys are really interesting.
>>
>>78506615
Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning?
>>
File: spiderman20997.jpg (23 KB, 158x305) Image search: [Google]
spiderman20997.jpg
23 KB, 158x305
>>78519144
My brother does. I, however, prefer Miguel O'Hara for my half Mexican Spidey needs.
>>
>>78522130
your bro is based
>>
>killed off Ultimate and replaced him with MM
Alright, let's see where this goes. Although it'd ve interesting to see for once, a hero, both the person and identity to stay dead.
>Bland after all the hype and being black is his selling point
Now I'm mildly pissed.
>he was able to beat the seasoned 616 petey
Cheap trick, eat shit.
>>
>>78509458
Static is cool.
>>
>>78500899

>Trill League

My nigga
>>
I happen to be a black person that was once an adolescent. I had my father, lived in the suburbs, never joined any gangs, a relatively normal life. I don't understand how any of that would make a black teen unrealistic. I must be living in a lapse of reality.
>>
>>78519144
Well, Hispanic isn't a race and there are plenty of black and mixed Hispanics out there in the world.
>>
>>78529740
Anon, you're bland.
>>
>>78529740
>I don't understand how any of that would make a black teen unrealistic.
Because people think that whatever the news and tv shows tells us is how it is all over. It's like how people can't accept that Wakanda exists in Marvel but are okay with Latveria
>>
>>78500812
>>78509609
How was he not realistic?

He didn't have a father. That's very realistic.
>>
>>78531172
Wasn't Latveria a shit-hole before DOOM liberated it from itself?
Wakanda is just a super-advanced society in Africa that continually gave no shits about everyone else (including world-destroying threats) because... why? They thought they're super-advanced tech couldn't hold back an invasion of spear-chuckers?
>>
>>78531206
>Wasn't Latveria a shit-hole before DOOM liberated it from itself?
It was a modern dictatorship in Eastern Europe. I doubt it was a shit-hole.

>Wakanda is just a super-advanced society in Africa that continually gave no shits about everyone else (including world-destroying threats) because... why?
Originally they were just as advanced as everyone else but T'challa was the reason why they were super advanced. Also why would assume that they knew about these events when they happened? These world-destroying threats tend to happen quickly.
>>
>>78531388
>Originally they were just as advanced as everyone else but T'challa was the reason why they were super advanced
I thought they hid their existence with holographic projections
>>
>>78531388
>It was a modern dictatorship in Eastern Europe. I doubt it was a shit-hole.
Have you seen Eastern Europe?
>>
>>78504571
>The Internet lit up like a Christmas light at the reveal of Finn in the initial Star Wars teaser
To be fair though a big chunk of that is because nerds get very aggressive over canon.
>>
>>78504571
>he's not far off

He's very far off, as are you

90% of /pol/ wouldn't exist if black people actually "dindu nuffin" and were just trying to get along with white people all the time

/pol/ is the result of 50 years of telling white people in white suburban schools "we are all equal and friends" and no-nonsense responses to the possibility of racism and then those white people grow up and realize blacks do not feel the same way at all and everything they were told in school was just bullshit propaganda
>>
>>78504571
>The Internet lit up like a Christmas light at the reveal of Finn in the initial Star Wars teaser.
And what happened? Nobody got their Stormtrooper and instead its this hollering comical token.
>>
Many of you niggers are getting your dindus twisted for nothing. When everyone say black characters are bland, theres a reason to it. Peter had the guilt of his uncle's death on his shoulders. For Miles, its being black.

Tumblritas believe they can fill personality and history of their characters with ethnicity, which always leaves these characters bland. And why should they bother with anything more, since theres always enough liberal keks to guilt the criticism.

Are you niggers seriously questioning the selling point of these comics?
>>
>>78529363
He's very dorky actually
>>
>>78500793
Cause they are selling him as a race not a character.

They put him on a pedestal so any proper flaws look like they are saying black people are. Just be glad they aren't making him like black twitter and repeating the same dull joke constantly
>>
I think we should all be thankful that Black Spider-Man happened and that they didn't wait a year so they could into Transgender Spider-Man (which they totally could have). That Donald whatsis name caused the original symptom of butt-hurtery that led to Benderp bringing a brand new recycling of an existing hero who in no way needed to be killed off (just to be replaced with a handle with kids gloves character.) Miles is what happens when you write a character into a corner. Next thing we'll find out is that he can absorb powers through touch and suddenly Miles is black Sylar. people need to prove Bends wrong and stop buying books based on controversy. You hate the new version of a classic character, excellent! Stop buying the book. It works with the movies, it can work with the printed stories. Marvel just wants their characters back so they're working them so intentionally broken and badly that Sony/Fox just stops them. Marvel needs help though getting controlling interest back, abs that's where you come in, STOP buying the merchandise stop buying the books, stop going to those movies, and ignore the silly antics they're doing to get a rise out of people. The longer you pay them to wreck their franchises the line we have to deal with crap writing about crap characters.
>>
>>78519144
that mexican robot from runaways and fuck even sam nova feel more spiky too me. hispanic is more of a similar culture which miles isn't a part of. he's just a half breed american mutt written by white jew whose parents are just as whitey Jewishly written as he is.
>>
>>78532423
Miles' parents were written as white jews?
>>
>>78500892
>Spider-Man
>throw lightning

I don't even care anymore
>>
File: Peter and Miles.jpg (176 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
Peter and Miles.jpg
176 KB, 894x894
>>78500989
Did you read the Issue? Ultimate Taskmaster absorbs energy.

Also, serious question. Would people be pissed if Peter was given the Venom Blast?

Probably not, seeing as how people are actually attached to Peter as a character.
>>
>>78534437
>. Would people be pissed if Peter was given the Venom Blast?
People were pissed off when he got stingers and organic webbing
>>
>>78501175
Bendis can't have a small rant about Ben not using the word broad and have Dazzler call Katie a skank, and no it isn't the same like black people using nigger.

And it's not a case of character's opinion doesn’t reflect the writer's opinion because Bendis does tend to have done a lot of female gendered insults in his comics made by both men and women (even Kitty herself) but it's obvious that he's not influenced by tumblr he's just pandering to them, heck he even admitted his idea of Kamala and Miles was because he saw some tumblr reblogs about them.

Also the Bendisms in here are so obvious you start seeing patterns in his writing, god he got really lazy.
>>
>>78509807
>Blacks want characters that are black, and not just in skin colour.
I'm black and you're talking a whole bunch of shit I don't care what race and gender you are as long as you're interesting.
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.