[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Taskmaster rights back at Marvel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 12
File: Taskmaster_Head.jpg (114 KB, 442x350) Image search: [Google]
Taskmaster_Head.jpg
114 KB, 442x350
Tim Miller accidentally revealed that Taskmaster is not in the Fox family anymore, and then some aditional sources confirmed it.

>http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/12/26/have-the-taskmaster-rights-reverted-back-to-marvel-studios

I wasn't even aware the rights to Taskmaster were at Fox to begin with. Why were they?
>>
>slits veins out of sheer happiness
My dreams just came through! Taskmaster is right where he belongs!
>>
>>78486746

Yeah, that doesn't make sense, Taskmaster debuted as an Avengers villain and he's never been that big of a... No wait, did he somehow get bundled with Deadpool because of Agent X?
>>
>>78486755
Yes, I can't wait for him to have a MCU styled redesign.
>>
>>78486746
Too late Ward is already a zombie
>>
File: 148102-178593-taskmaster.jpg (91 KB, 400x528) Image search: [Google]
148102-178593-taskmaster.jpg
91 KB, 400x528
>>78486783
>>
>>78486782
Taskmaster being at Fox makes even less sense than Viper
>>
I think he was purchased separately, guys
>>
>>78486798
Yes, he already had one, and it sucked. Doesn't stop Marvel from trying again.
>>
>>78486831

naw son. naw
>>
>>78486807

Viper does make certain sense. Most of her iconic stories revolve around X-men so by association she's gone to them, same way Sabretooth started out as an Iron Fist villain, fought randomly Spider-man once but is now entirely an X-men character.
>>
>>78486746
Taskmaster might've been part of the Deadpool package back when it was a project over at New Line Cinema (Fox had the X-Men, but somehow it didn't have Deadpool until after New Line gave up on the project).
>>
>>78486746

This is HUGE news!

I would have rather had him stay at Fox so he could get his own movie. Disney will use him as a cameo to job someone.
>>
>>78486864
>Most of her iconic stories revolve around X-men
No, only ONE "iconic" story involves X-Men, the one where she marries Wolverine to take over Madripoor, and most people don't remember it.
Her iconic stories come from her apearances in Captain America, the Avengers, Spider-Woman, Secret Warriors, Nick Fury agent of SHIELD and other books as a Hydra villain.
Ask the average comics fan and he'd never think Viper is an X-Men character
>>
>>78486815
Yeah, the Marvel movie rights are a huge clusterfuck.
From what I gather it kind of worked like this
>Marvel would sell a studio the rights to all characters that debuted in X, but would exclude properties it wanted to license seperately
>If there's characters associated with X but that didn't debut in X, then the studio could pay additional fees to get the rights to them included in the package
>These aditional characters could be gained at any time and back in the day Marvel was more willing to let Fox and others gain aditional rights. We know for a fact that Fox wanted Nick Fury to be in FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer, which indicates that before that deals of that type were commonplace
>With what we now know about Taskmaster, it seems that there are limits to these seperately licensed characters
>>
>>78486972
>>These aditional characters could be gained at any time and back in the day Marvel was more willing to let Fox and others gain aditional rights. We know for a fact that Fox wanted Nick Fury to be in FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer, which indicates that before that deals of that type were commonplace

It's true, Fox had to ask Sony permission to use Kingpin in Daredevil.
>>
>>78486896
I wonder if Marvel Studios can still use her as long as they call her Madamme Hydra
>>
Good, now we have someone to replace Galactus! lol
>>
>>78486864
who
>>
>>78487071
Supposedly they can.
>>
>>78486746
Taskmaster was a separate rights character, after the UDON comic there was an interest in the character from film execs and FOX bought the rights.
>>
>Baron Zemo and Taskmaster is now rolled into 1 character
>this is what the Russo's meant when it's not typical Zemo
What are the chances /co/?
>>
>>78487089
Did you see The Wolverine? Do you remember the female, mutant, mad scientist with toxic blood and a freaky reptile tongue? Her. Except, in the comics, she's not a mutant, she doesn't have any of those powers (except for immunity to toxins), she was a member (and former leader) of HYDRA (and thus is sometimes called Madame Hydra, which they obviously couldn't call her in the movie), and she started out as a Captain America villain.

Yeah, no idea how Fox snagged the rights here.
>>
>>78487613
>Yeah, no idea how Fox snagged the rights here.
I really wonder how characters were sold. Namor was separate and not in package with F4?
>>
>>78487238
As a diehard tasky fan, and casual zemo fan, I would cry.
>>
>>78486755
you mean, garbage dump?
>>
>>78487613
that was hot though
>>
>>78487238
>Baron Taskzemo
Just like my Chinese cartoons!
>>
>>78486746
so this is what Fox exchanged for the x-men tv series? m'boy the sure ripped marvel off.

also, I understand why someone wanted taskmaster rec yesterday.

marvel shilling in pure force.
>>
>>78487625
Namor was sold to Universal, not to Fox.
The FF package included all characters debuting in FF with some exceptions like the Inhumans, the Kree, Black Panther, Klaw and probably Adam Warlock
>>
>>78487670
Yes, I know who bought Universal. But we also know that Fox got characters who didn't debut in X-Men, like Sabretooth and, hell, Wolverine.
>>
>>78487686
In fairness, Wolverine is way more closely tied to the X-Men than he is to the Hulk, and Sabretooth is all but irrelevant to Iron Fist and is pretty much just a part of Wolverine's rogues gallery.
>>
>>78487670
I'm sure Universal will consider a Namor movie once WB releases Aquaman.
>>
>>78486746
Why wasn't he?
He's not an X-character.
>>
>>78487686
My guess is that Fox specifically asked for those characters and Marvel was happy to let them since they wanted Fox to use those characters in the movies so that they could sell more toys and stuff

>>78487709
Universal no longer has the full rights, but he's in the same situation as Hulk where they still have distribution rights
>>
>>78487720
>>78487207
k
>>
>>78487721
Poor Namor can't catch a break.
>>
>>78487694
Yeah, but you know what I meant. Place of debut meant nothing when they were buying characters.
>>78487721
>My guess is that Fox specifically asked for those characters
Now I picture Fox's board of directors buying off characters they're fans of.
>>
>>78487734
>Now I picture Fox's board of directors buying off characters they're fans of.
You're picturing it wrong, nobody at Fox actually read any X-Men comics. They were probably looking at which characters showed up in the cartoon and which characters sold toys and asked for those.
Though that doesn't explain why they wanted Viper.
They were also aparently not interested in the Savage Land.
>>
>>78487745
>They were also aparently not interested in the Savage Land.
Well, Ka-Zar is kinda Tarzanish, you know? Maybe rights to Tarzan are cheaper.
>>
>>78487745
Savage Lands were never good.
>>
>>78487759
I'll have to do a storytime before the new year then
>>
>>78487766
Claremont's original Savage Land stories? X-Treme X-Men: Savage Land? Ka-Zar's solo? Devil Dinosaur?
>>
>>78487776
Let it be a sweet secret
The first appearance of Belasco
>>
>>78487667
Hey I was right about Mister Sinister making mutant/inhuman hybrids
My hunch might be right
>>
>>78487758
Tarzan is public domain, so you are right.
>>
>>78486798
>Slavmaster
I want it
>>
>>78487649
>Casual Zemo fan
Work on it, read his mini.
>>
>>78487745
It bugs me how they have the Sh'iar and Brood but will probably never ever use them
>>
>>78487613
Wait, you telling me Fox had the rights for an Avengers/Cap related villain that barely showed up over the X-men history and has nothing to do with mutants at all?
Why? How? For what purpose?
>>
>>78487834
Viper was important for Wolverine and Silver Samurai, which were the characters that appeared in The Wolverine
>>
>>78487826
If Fox stopped playing Jew and started handing out money and make four X-movies every year, we'd easily see Shi'ar and Brood in Starjammers.
>>
>>78487805
I don't think so. Disney had to license those rights to make their Tarzan movie and cartoon series, to the point that for Kingdom Hearts, they couldn't have the Tarzan world re-appear or be mentioned past the first game (the HD rerelease aside) due to the rights expiring (and yes, for the HD rerelease, they give copyright information for Tarzan just like in the original release).
>>
File: x-men evolution.png (75 KB, 244x244) Image search: [Google]
x-men evolution.png
75 KB, 244x244
>>78487834
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Ophelia_Sarkissian_%28Earth-616%29

>Wolverine Villains
>Captain America Villains
>X-Men Villains
>Black Widow Villains
>Spider-Woman Villains

also, Madripoor, which Viper is governing, is an X-Men crib
>>
>>78487852
>gave copyright information

Damn it.
>>
>>78487848
Hold on bucky, I prefer quality over quantity.
Also, after Apocalypse, they might want to make an Imperial Guard story, who knows?
>>
>>78487852
>Disney had to license those rights
Really? Can I read more about it? Because I'm pretty sure he is a public domain character according to U.S. law.
>Kingdom Hearts
Were using Disney's Tarzan who is a copyright character and not a public domain character, if that makes any sense.

For instance, "Thor" (the God) is a "public domain character" as well, however if you want to use Marvel's Thor you need the license.
>>
>>78487871
So far, all X-Men movies have emphasized mutants and the conflict between humans and mutants. Once you have the X-Men go to space, you can't do that type of story
>>
>>78487871
Yeah, same but in perfect world we'd get plenty of quality movies.
I'd really like to see Imperial Guard and Shi'ar Death Commandos.
>>
>>78487816
Fuck you, you just ruined one of his best costumes for me, now I can only laugh at it.
>>
>>78487894
>Once you have the X-Men go to space, you can't do that type of story
You mean "you can", right?
>>
File: Aqualad was a mistake.png (196 KB, 265x278) Image search: [Google]
Aqualad was a mistake.png
196 KB, 265x278
>>78487900
sorry
>>
>>78487907
How? They're in space, there are no humans around to opress the mutants and no evil mutants to stop from killing humans. Just the X-Men fighting aliens like any other superhero.
They'd have no way to shoehorn Magneto in
>>
>>78487943
>They'd have no way to shoehorn Magneto in
Meanwhile Mystique is THE X-Man. Movies aren't same like comics.
>>
>>78487943
>They'd have no way to shoehorn Magneto in
Asteroid M?
>>
>>78487943
You serious?
>>
>>78487943
Are you one of these fags that never read X-Men, but only watched the movies?
>>
>>78487943
nigga
>>
>>78487977
Don't get me wrong, I would like to see the X-Men go to space and fight the D'Ken, Deathbird or the Brood, I'd like to see the Starjammers, but I'm trying to look at this from a Fox exec's perspective. It's clear they want to focus on the humans vs mutants conflict, but if you have the X-Men go to space that focus is lost
>>
>>78486746

I like Taskmaster, and which he'd get a revamp making him one of the major Marvel supervillain players the way Identity Crisis (!) and Infinite Crisis did for Deathstroke, but as it stands he is currently a C-lister at best.
>>
>>78487881
>Kingdom Hearts
>Were using Disney's Tarzan who is a copyright character and not a public domain character, if that makes any sense.

Thing is, the Kingdom Hearts IP is owned by Disney. Square is pretty much licensing the whole thing from Disney.

Unfortunately, my Google fu is failing me, and I'm having a difficult time tracking down the copyright info displayed just before the titles. But in both the original release and the 1.5 HD ReMix, they specifically credit the estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs. (IIRC, the only change made between them is removing the Touchstone copyright info for The Nightmare Before Christmas, as Disney started putting that film under its own label starting around the 3D conversion's release in 2006 or so.)

I don't know the exact details, but I'm guessing that, assuming Tarzan himself falls under public domain, Disney's version draws upon some material that isn't public domain (read: later Tarzan books written by Edgar Rice Burroughs that fall within the limits of US copyright law), which Disney had to license from Mr. Burroughs' estate.
>>
File: Deadpool #069 - 07.jpg (315 KB, 1014x1513) Image search: [Google]
Deadpool #069 - 07.jpg
315 KB, 1014x1513
>No Deadpool sequel with Taskmaster

Fuck Cable, Wade and Task have much better chemistry.
>>
>>78487995
Because I'm still fresh after x-mas, here's your focus
>humans drive mutants out of earth
>imperial guard invades space, forcing humans and mutants to work together
>first mutant in space
And I'm improvising.
>>
>>78488069
*invades earth
>>
>>78487881
Works and characters from the Burroughs estate most certainly are not public domain.
>>
>>78488031
Okay, I've finally found it. Here's the KH1 copyright info;

>© 2002 Disney

>Tarzanâ„¢ Owned by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. and Used by Permission
>Copyright © 2002 Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. and Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved

>© Touchstone Pictures

>Characters from FINAL FANTASY video game series:
>© 1990, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002
>SQUARE CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved

And here's the HD rereleases's copyright info:

>© Disney

>Tarzanâ„¢ Owned by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. and Used by Permission
>Copyright © 2002 Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. and Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

>Characters from FINAL FANTASY video game series:
>© 1990,1997,1999,2001,2002 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
>All Rights Reserved.
>SQUARE ENIX and the SQUARE ENIX logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd.

So, yeah, they outright say Tarzan is used with permission from Burroughs' estate. The only big changes between versions are removing the Touchstone copyright and changing the Square copyrights to reflect their current identity as Square Enix.

Why am I typing this all out again? Something about Ka-Zar, I think?
>>
>>78486896
Viper also appeared in Death of Wolverine event as the major player
>>
>>78488114
>Something about Ka-Zar, I think?
Start was "Maybe rights to Tarzan are cheaper than buying out Savage Land".
>>
Yay... More mcu toys..
>>
>>78488133
Right, thanks. So, yeah, the Tarzan rights are probably cheaper on the basis of this shit's old as fuck and hasn't really been part of a continuous fictional universe since its original author died. Ka-Zar, despite having been created as a pulp novel series and pre-dating even Namor, has been folded into the Marvel universe and is tied to the X-Men.

That said, I don't think Fox really wanted to do either a Tarzan movie or a Ka-Zar movie. If they had, they'd have probably tried to license one of them, and I don't recall hearing that they've tried to.
>>
>>78488148
Because You Demanded, True Believer, Nuff Said!
>>
>>78488172
It is a little sad, because Namor became a supporting character for F4, but he was capable of being on his own. Captain America was introduced through Avengers, and became a landmark character. Ka-Zar? He was a failure. Beside X-Men, he had some guest appearances with Spider-Man (which is nothing), and Daredevil (even bigger nothing)
>>
>>78488001
Showing up in a movie could give him a bigger push. Introduce him as a freelance henchmen trainer and that keeps the heroes distracted from what the main villain is doing.

>>78488174
That new Marvel Legends Taskmaster does look pretty sweet.
>>
>>78488172
They wouldn't need to do a Ka-Zar movie, justa movie about the X-Men going to the Savage Land and fighting dinosaurs. But Fox wasn't interested in getting the rights, so it's inevitable that the MCU will use the Savage Land eventually
>>
Can't wait to see what type of quips he'll bring to the party
>>
>>78488200
pretty weak dude
>>
>>78488069
>phoenix kills a star
>vulcan takes over the empire
>fuck those earth mutants are dangerous we ust kill them
>>
so dedward confirmed to become taskmaster?
>>
File: 1434995666148.jpg (116 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1434995666148.jpg
116 KB, 480x640
>>78486746
Time for Quipmaster.

What a time to be alive.
>>
>>78486746
He could be a villain in Ant-Man and Wasp. Asides from Whirlwind and Crossfire I can't think of anyone else they could use
>>
>>78488114
Tarzan is public domain since the copyrights on every one of his books published before 1922 have expired, but ERB Inc. has him trademarked and is eager to sue anyone who tries to use him in order to keep a hold on their licensing profits.
>>
>>78488172
And, desu, if you did Ka-Zar movie, everyone would say you're ripping off Tarzan.
>>
>>78488318
well, and they would be right.
>>
>>78488194

Comes with an UDON style head too.
>>
>>78488333
Totally. Only thing Ka-Zar has is hotter wife and tiger. And Z-list supervillain brother.
>>
>>78488352
>Z-List.
That's very generous
>>
>>78488352
You're forgetting about the Dinosaurs
>>
>>78487071
From what we've heard, Marvel owns the Madame Hydra persona for her and Fox owns the Viper persona.
>>
>>78488379
Well, that's given. And Magneto's mutates.
>>
>>78488407
And Sauron. All of them are however more interesting than Ka-Zar
>>
>>78488433
I wonder if they can use Sauron without New Line throwing a shitfit. It's canon that he named himself after the LOTR one too.
>>
>>78488470
They could probably just call him Lykos
>>
>>78488350
Nice.
>>
>>78486892
His own movie? Really? I'm a fanboy myself but you son have optimism seeping from your underpants. The best we could've got was secondary character in a Deadpool movie. Would guess he'd be a Cap villain although the guy that plays Cap has had enough I remember. Tough to replace him.
>>
>>78488560
>although the guy that plays Cap has had enough I remember
No, he didn't, he's in love with Russos and wants to be Cap again.
>>
>>78488579
>gaymerica
le kek
>>
>>78488560
This is really far out, but say the Deadpool movie is a huge hit and Marvel wants to follow suit, Taskmaster would be perfect for a higher rating, lower budget dark comedy.
>>
>>78488666
Too bad that marvel sucks at that.
>>
>>78488273
I mean, Taskmaster is a pretty quippy guy. He'd actually fit in the MCU pretty well, with the one exception that part of his schtick is running away when the missions complete/he might not win so he works best as a recurring, always getting away in the nick of time villain, but Marvel fucking loves killing their villains off.
>>
>Task Master back with Marvel
Cool. So no Task Master for Deadpool 2 then.
>>
>>78487668
FOX didn't exchange anything for the tv series. They already held the live-action rights.

They've even sued over infringement of those rights before. How do you not know this? Are you just a casual?
>>
>>78488804
More time for Cable
>>
>>78487668
>>78488829
Fox owns the TV Rights but can't make X-men-related TV Shows without Marvel's express permission. That's why Legion and Hellfire are being co-produced by Marvel Television.
>>
>>78488829
Dude, catch up. Marvel wouldn't NEVER greenlight tv series, if Fox didn't offer something in return.
You shouldn't live under the rock
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 443x332
>>78488698
All I really want from Taskmaster in whatever he may appear are some MvC3 lines

JUDO THROW, AIM OF HAWKEYE, JUST LIKE CAP, YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY, YOU'RE IN FOR A WORLD OF HURT, YOU ARE THE ASSKICK-EE I'M THE ASSKICK-ER
>>
File: Deadpool02p21.jpg (162 KB, 1440x936) Image search: [Google]
Deadpool02p21.jpg
162 KB, 1440x936
>>78488841
Even still, it would have been nice to see Deadpool short circuiting Task Master in a big budget movie to make up for the last time they "adapted" this chapter.
>>
>>78488761
It seems to be only the primary villein dies.

TM can't hold a movie on his own so he has a good chance. And everyone killed so far has been low tier no names.
>>
>>78488302
Things aren't public domain if they're still trademarked.

>>78486746
Given that the article you've linked simply makes the assertion that Taskmaster's rights were at FOX and then quotes someone who'd know as saying they aren't, there's no evidence that they ever were. Rumored movies aren't real, anon.
>>
>>78488897
Yeah, I guess Batroc got away in a similar fashion.
>>
>>78488924
Brevoort? Is that you?
>>
>>78488858
>>78488856
FOX doesn't need Marvel's permission to exploit those rights as long as it makes a show that falls within the contractually agreed parameters of the IP - ie, they can't cross over with Gotham and shit like that. Beyond that, they can do what they like, when they like. Like how they exploited the same rights to make a movie that featured Quicksilver, which clearly Marvel would have stamped on given the timing if they had the contractual right to do so.

The only reason Marvel gets a production credit is because it's in the contract. You guys really need to learn how this works.
>>
>>78488761
Killing him off wouldn't really be necessary because Task Master falls more into chaotic neutral than evil, the nature of his services and the fact he is arrogant as hell just cater more to villains than anybody else. If I recall correctly he actually helped out during Siege too.
>>
>>78488946
OP posted clickbait that didn't even bother to assert the facts properly.

What were you expecting?
>>
>>78488970
Marvel IS co-producing these shows dipshit. It goes beyond a mere "credit"
>>
>>78488859
I'd love it if he got his own game where you learn new moves by fighting various heroes and villains, and earn cash by completing missions and training hired goons. Think Devil May Cry meets Peace Walker.
>>
>>78488983
Yup, you're very good at imitating Brevoort's style.
>>
>>78488970
>FOX doesn't need Marvel's permission to exploit those rights
Factually incorrect.
>http://www.tvinsider.com/article/191/fox-confirms-theyre-planning-an-x-men-series-after-months-of-speculation/
The contract dictates that they need Marvel's permission.
>>
>>78488982
He was on the villains' side in Siege, but yeah, Taskmaster works for the highest bidder. He's trained SHIELD agents too.
>>
>>78489051
Could've sworn he was training registered heroes or something at the start of Siege. Guess I remembered wrong.
>>
>>78486783
As apposed to a fox styled redesign? a guy in a clothes?
>>
>>78489079
He was, but almost all the registered heroes were just villains by that point since, y'know, Norman Osborn and all that.
>>
>>78488924
Here's the source on Fox at one point having the rights to Taskmaster, you happy?
>http://www.superherohype.com/news/102138-exclusive-joe-carnahan-on-taskmaster-and-preacher
>>
>>78489380
The details did get a little confusing.
>>
>>78486896
While I agree that she is a primarily a Cap villain, Viper was a major New Mutants adversary back when the title first started. She also played a part in trying to sabotage Wolverine's wedding to Mariko around the same time, a far more important Wolverine story than his wedding to Viper.
>>
>>78486746
Taskmaster for Ant-Man 2 villain confirmed
>>
>>78496467
Who else would they even use?
Egghead?
>>
File: ANTMAN2015002001-col-cd7b6.jpg (131 KB, 674x1024) Image search: [Google]
ANTMAN2015002001-col-cd7b6.jpg
131 KB, 674x1024
>>78496671
BEARS
>>
File: 21I4aFo.png (374 KB, 582x704) Image search: [Google]
21I4aFo.png
374 KB, 582x704
>>78496467
>Taskmaster is a Lang Ant-man villain
>>
>>78496738
That was the point. Thank you, anon.
>>
>>78486798
I'm okay with this, that mini was okay.
>>
Does Fox have Whirlwind?
>>
Who has Gwenpool!?!?!
>>
>>78498173
The Devil.
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.